As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Adventurer is Us! [Kingdom of Loathing]

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I have quite a few of those. Er, well, I guess I wouldn't have access to them in an oxycore run... Hrmmmm. Well, there's always the clan calendar. And meat-maids aren't too hard to put together, altho' I can't get the items from a mall either. Man, this is really starting to sound like a pain.

Speaking of pain, how many of you guys have an NPZR? I finished mine this run. Love the little bastard.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Well, I have quite a few of those. Er, well, I guess I wouldn't have access to them in an oxycore run... Hrmmmm. Well, there's always the clan calendar. And meat-maids aren't too hard to put together, altho' I can't get the items from a mall either. Man, this is really starting to sound like a pain.

Speaking of pain, how many of you guys have an NPZR? I finished mine this run. Love the little bastard.

Well, HCO is always going to be the longest type of run. The plexi items from it are pretty fabulous though if that is your bag. I completed a full set of 6 HCO runs for those and am now doing HC basement dives to finish off my telescope and pick up some trophies, then I'll probably do a mix of bad moon and some HCO speed attempts.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

Well, HCO is always going to be the longest type of run. The plexi items from it are pretty fabulous though if that is your bag. I completed a full set of 6 HCO runs for those and am now doing HC basement dives to finish off my telescope and pick up some trophies, then I'll probably do a mix of bad moon and some HCO speed attempts.

When is a good time to start basement diving anyway? It's a part of the game I've never touched and I'm still trying to play catchup after taking a break from the game and my first character being deleted for inactivity way back.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited May 2009

When is a good time to start basement diving anyway? It's a part of the game I've never touched and I'm still trying to play catchup after taking a break from the game and my first character being deleted for inactivity way back.

I'll probably start it around level 20-ish, but I am going for the level 30 trophy anyhow. A large part of it depends on how much meat you are willing to spend on buying stat boosting items and to a lesser extent on your gear and skills.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Probably Armorcrafting and Advanced Meatsmithing somewhere along the line as well. I like them at least.
    Seems much better in HC.

Especially if you have Torso Awargness as I didnt find too many shirts when I played Disco Bandit.

Also I think Ive seen wiggin in chat once, but wasnt sure if that was really him.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Probably Armorcrafting and Advanced Meatsmithing somewhere along the line as well. I like them at least.
    Seems much better in HC.

Especially if you have Torso Awargness as I didnt find too many shirts when I played Disco Bandit.

Also I think Ive seen wiggin in chat once, but wasnt sure if that was really him.

Yeah, whenever I refer to anything it will be HC. I haven't played any SC since my first run like 2 years ago and so everything about it is completelly foreign to me (stash pulls while levelling?! Madness I say)

Anyhow, the new familiar is pretty sweet. So for anyone who missed previous spleen familiars, now is your chance. Especially MegaMek, who was contemplating HCO runs. It's also considerably easier to use than the Llama or the Pixie, though its secondary effect (sombrero) isn't as useful in the early game.

Also, I really hope they change the Slime Tube. Right now the sub-420 runs can only be accomplished with an insane setup. I don't mind reasonably high barriers, but the optimal Slime Tube run as it stands now is madness. I think it uses buffs/items from like 4-5 IOTMs as well as some ultra-rares, some of which are years old by now.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    what can I get to heal more hp when I sleep in my cottage? can't find anything on the flea market and the mall is basically useless for looking for anything specific

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    what can I get to heal more hp when I sleep in my cottage? can't find anything on the flea market and the mall is basically useless for looking for anything specific

Housing list

Really though, resting is almost always a bad idea unless you are Disco Napping.

Maximal HP recovery would be a Hobo Fortress, with Gauze Hammock, and a Pagoda. If you lack a Hobo Fortress, a House or Sandcastle should do.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    that gauze hammock really helped. thanks.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I got a little drunk and lost my pants. where did they go? :(

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just like in real life!

(maybe you auto-sold them? I dunno dude)

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Basement runs are so painful. I am now regretting some of my perm choices. Alas.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So am I doing something wrong?

Turns Played (this run): 2,188
    Days Played (this run): 70

I'm in Hardcore and I'm a Pastamancer. I just read that a 5-day ascension is possible with little to no permed skills and little practice.

What the fuck am I doing wrong?

edit: I should note, I'm on the Holy McGuffin quest. Level 12.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, hardcore runs take me forever too. I have no idea how you do it any faster.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Drez wrote: »

I'm in Hardcore and I'm a Pastamancer. I just read that a 5-day ascension is possible with little to no permed skills and little practice.

Still being on the McGuffin quest at level 12 IS rather unusual unless you're using absinthe from the fairy or clovers to boost your main stat gains.

One big thing that comes with experience is knowing which quests are required, which ones are worth doing anyway, and which ones just eat up turns.

What familiars are you normally using? That can have a big effect over time.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Still being on the McGuffin quest at level 12 IS rather unusual unless you're using absinthe from the fairy or clovers to boost your main stat gains.

One big thing that comes with experience is knowing which quests are required, which ones are worth doing anyway, and which ones just eat up turns.

What familiars are you normally using? That can have a big effect over time.

I'm almost always using my Uniclops. I only switch out, generally, when I feel like getting some spleen drinks from my new Sandworm.

As for quests, I don't think I've done a single non-required quest this run. :(

I will say that I only recently started bothering with cooking...which was stupid of me.

I'm literally 5 magicalness away from level 13, too. Not 5 mysticality, but 5 MAGICALNESS (or enchantedness/wizardlyness). And I overdrank. So I have to wait till tomorrow.

I'm almost done with the MacGuffin quest. I just finished the Cap'm Carunch question and I did all the other parts including unlocking the Pyramid. So McGuffin is almost done.

Since I did so shitty this run I'm wondering if I should go after the Wossname and get that out of the way.

I'm also trying to figure out what to perm. I picked Pastamancer so I could perm Pastamancy. Should I switch to SC next and get Pulverize, or should I go TT and get the two familiar skills? Hmm. Or should I go Sauceror and get some saucy skills?

Drez on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Empathy isn't too good these days. Amphibian Sympathy is the only TT pet skill that's really worth perming as soon as possible.

I would go Sauceror because potions are incredible (Did you know that Sauceror's potions last 5 adventures more than other classes, and that Saucerors make 3 potions for every single cooking process? These are sauceror only benefits, by the way.) and because Pastamastery isn't too useful without Advanced Saucecrafting.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pastamancery + Saucecrafting can get you really good food at practically no cost from day 1 or 2. The "reagent foods" made with sauces and dry pasta give a lot of adventures per fullness.
    Advanced Cocktailcrafting is similarly useful, although you'll want to get Superhuman to get the full use out of it.
    I would get those 4 skills asap.

A hardcore run taking about 2000 turns is reasonable, but 70 days is crazy. Get your cooking, boozing, and spleening(?) working and you should be able to complete runs in under 15 days. Make chef-in-a-boxen and bartender-in-a-boxen, as well as a Meat Maid to boost your turns-per-day.
    Once monsters are high enough level (somewhere around when your buffed mainstat is at 100), your Sandworm will give you better stat gains than the Uniclops.
    There's a lot of things you can do to increase efficiency. My best runs are 10-12 days and ~1700 turns, and I'm only up to 10 skills.

Oh, also, unskilled spellcasters in hardcore are hard and take longer. If you want an easier time of it, Disco Bandits are super simple to play and have a lot of useful passive skills to perm.

A 5-day hardcore ascension seems excessive to me, considering I can't even get a softcore run under 4 turns without spending a billion meat.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well the 70 days is because I was busy and missed many many days despite being at 200 adventures, but I'm going to rectify that for the future.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    5 days with no IOTM skills and no permed skills seems awfully low since you would be totally unable to fill your spleen with anything reasonable, as well as no stat boosting hearts/love songs, and no sticker tome.

Low day count runs rely on the following;

Knowing optimal foods/booze available (generally pastamancer dishes, sometimes pies).
    Familiar juggling to get spleen items, level faster, and complete item-based quests faster.
    Olfacting properly.
    Knowing proper quest progression, and what is and is not a good use of turns.
    Deep knowledge of what the various zones contain and what items do.
    Using high level content to boost levels quickly (day one bloopering for instance).

So again, half those options aren't available to a new character. A serious HCO speed run will get level 4 in one day. A serious HCNP run gets I think to 5 or 6.

If you are really interested in learning to speed run, I'd do a blackcat bad moon run and then just do bad moon a bunch. It is somewhat similiar, but relies less on having IOTM/permed tools available.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, I'd forgotten I had candy hearts.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Oh man, I'd forgotten I had candy hearts.

I hate you since that is the one really good IOTM for speed runs I am missing. Well, and the lack of a Llama may screw me, though I have a Pixie and Sandworm so I may be alright.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Don't worry, the only other super good IotM I have is a pixie.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    5 days with no IOTM skills and no permed skills seems awfully low since you would be totally unable to fill your spleen with anything reasonable, as well as no stat boosting hearts/love songs, and no sticker tome.

Knowing optimal foods/booze available (generally pastamancer dishes, sometimes pies).
    Familiar juggling to get spleen items, level faster, and complete item-based quests faster.
    Olfacting properly.
    Using high level content to boost levels quickly (day one bloopering for instance).

So again, half those options aren't available to a new character. A serious HCO speed run will get level 4 in one day. A serious HCNP run gets I think to 5 or 6.

If you are really interested in learning to speed run, I'd do a blackcat bad moon run and then just do bad moon a bunch. It is somewhat similiar, but relies less on having IOTM/permed tools available.

I'm actually planning on a black cat run next as I've avoided using any clovers whatsoever this run. I just hope I didn't mistakenly pick one up and accidentally use it. And there's no way to check, is there?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I'm actually planning on a black cat run next as I've avoided using any clovers whatsoever this run. I just hope I didn't mistakenly pick one up and accidentally use it. And there's no way to check, is there?

Not that I know of. Your best bet would be to fire up mafia and have it auto-disassemble all clovers.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Will it ever be possible to get missed IotMs? Like Summon Snowcone or Summon Candy Hearts? Or the Green Pixie?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Olfacting properly.

Not that I know of. Your best bet would be to fire up mafia and have it auto-disassemble all clovers.

What's mafia?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You mean, without buying them from the mall?

In the past, the devs stated that they would never reissue old IotM, although that appears to longer be the case.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

What's mafia?

Hah, oh man, prepare to have your mind blown if you really like playing KoL. Mafia is shorthand for KoLmafia, whose project page is located here.

Essentially its a stand-alone java client that interfaces with the KoL servers. It adds a lot of support for easing runs. One of my favorites is tracking semi-rares. You can view your fullness and spleen usage as another example. It can also auto-refresh buffs. And auto-complete strange leaflet. You can kind of pick and choose which parts of its automation you wish to use. It doesn't do anything you can't do by hand, or via a standard web browser, it just makes everything easier.
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    You mean, without buying them from the mall?

In the past, the devs stated that they would never reissue old IotM, although that appears to longer be the case.

I'm loathe to blow $30 bucks on Mr. A's to afford it. And I don't have enough meat stockpiled to buy it without doing so.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mafia is really really nice, even if you use it minimally.
    Just having use links appear next to quest items when they drop, for example, makes the game half as irritating.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Interesting.

Sadly I can't seem to install it on Windows 7 RC. I get a "No Java?" dialogue box. And yes I installed the latest JRE.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If that's not working, you could try using Greasemonkey scripts that have been made for the game with Mozilla Firefox.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Interesting.

Sadly I can't seem to install it on Windows 7 RC. I get a "No Java?" dialogue box. And yes I installed the latest JRE.

It's worth it to get it working if you can, seriously.
    And if you do, make sure you try everything out. For the longest time I thought it was only useful for auto-adventuring, but it has a million little handy functions.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh man I must have spent all almost all day yesterday in Degrassi Knoll trying to get a frilly dress only to have the black cat bat it away.

Then today I stacked 2 pixie buffs (because I took one before rollover last nighT but after my turns) and managed to beat the Goblin King at level 5 for the first time.

Bad Moon is kind of weird but really fun.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game is pretty much exactly what I want out of a browser game: fun, hilarious, and you can actually invest a good chunk of time into it.

I <3 moxie classes.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Disco Bandits truely are the best class ever.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Disco Bandits truely are the best class ever.

I do hate how the level 12 quest forces you out of your moxie boosting gear. Makes things hurt a bit. Of course, the level 12 quest kills my soul slowly in general.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    circeramonecirceramone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been playing KOL for 3 years now, and I still love it. Especially now that I've been talking about it long enough that some of my friends are starting to try it out. I use the same username over there, and my character is currently a Turtle Tamer.

circeramone on
    PAX East 2013 [x]3 day pass [ ]Airfare [x]Hotel [ ]Coin
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone else still playing this?

I play pretty heavily now.

Drez on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010