As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dan Simmon's discussion thread

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I don't know how many of you have read this guys work, but he's currently one of my favorite writers. I know he's not without his weaknesses, but I enjoy his strength's much more.

He's best known for his Hyperion series, HYPERION, THE FALL OF HYPERION, ENDYMION, and THE RISE OF ENDYMION. his most recent work is DROOD, A horror story focusing on events leading up to Charles Dicken's last unfinished novel.

He has written in a variety of genres, but is best known for Sci-fi/fantasy (the Hyperion series, and his recent Olympus duology) and Horror (Drood, the Song of Kali, etc).

My own personal favorites are his recent Olympus duology. ILIUM, and OLYMPOS. A story about a far future humanity that has forgotten its past, and many of it's advancements, whose life will change by the actions of one man who can read. A whole civilization of robots in the outer ring of the solar system, as seen through the "eyes" of a pair of robots who like to spend time in philosophical discussions about Shakespeare. A group of "gods" on Mars, who entertain themselves by re-enacting the entire Trojan war, and use specially bred scholars to study it and make sure it's going exactly as Homer wrote, but is it really "entertainment" or something much darker? And in the background is a mysterious being called Setebos, and the one being he fears, the Quiet.

It's big (despite being only two books) but it features plenty of epic storytelling, and a massive cast of characters.

Hut have any of you guys read him? What do you make of his work?

Matthew on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the end of the ilium and olympos series was dissapointing at best. hyperion was a much better series.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He also wrote The Terror, a fantastic horror novel about exploration of the north pole, and a really fun series of modern noir novels.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just read Song of Kali the other week and enjoyed it, I have Drood to read next and am really interested in picking up The Terror as well.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I should really try reading Endymion again

Hyperion was so fantastic

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion were good. And complete. Story done and over. They didn't need sequels.

Endymion and The Rise of Endymion were crap. They added nothing to the story of Hyperion; quite the opposite they fucked it up by answering questions that were best left to the imagination of the reader, changing the themes of the original story to fit the sequel, and rewriting the ending completely. They were to Hyperion what the Prequel trilogy was to the original Star Wars movies.

To anyone who hasn't read those novels, I recommend reading the two Hyperion ones, and stopping there.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmmm, well then maybe I should not try reading Endymion again

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    the end of the ilium and olympos series was dissapointing at best. hyperion was a much better series.

I think this is true. Olympus was pretty good and some parts of Ilium were good but then things just got too random.
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Hmmm, well then maybe I should not try reading Endymion again

I say read it. Not as good as Hyperion but still pretty good.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Maybe the ending of the Olympos series was a little random, but I liked the characters so much that I didn't really care than much. Plus, Simmon's has said that he doesn't have a third book in the series planned, but he also implied that he is not against the idea of a third book.

Matthew on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still think about the Hyperion Cantos many years after reading it. Those were amazing books.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    changing the themes of the original story to fit the sequel, and rewriting the ending completely.

Could you expand one what you mean by this? Because I'm not seeing it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion were good. And complete. Story done and over. They didn't need sequels.

Endymion and The Rise of Endymion were crap. They added nothing to the story of Hyperion; quite the opposite they fucked it up by answering questions that were best left to the imagination of the reader, changing the themes of the original story to fit the sequel, and rewriting the ending completely. They were to Hyperion what the Prequel trilogy was to the original Star Wars movies.

To anyone who hasn't read those novels, I recommend reading the two Hyperion ones, and stopping there.

The two original Hyperion novels are certainly sufficient on their own, but the Endymion novels are not crap. Not by a long shot. They are quite worth reading and I would recommend them to anyone that isn't so stuck on the first two that they cannot handle an extension of that material and some changes to things.

Ketar on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ketar wrote: »

The two original Hyperion novels are certainly sufficient on their own, but the Endymion novels are not crap. Not by a long shot. They are quite worth reading and I would recommend them to anyone that isn't so stuck on the first two that they cannot handle an extension of that material and some changes to things.

Some changes?
    • Instead of going into an unknown future for some unknown destiny, Rachel just jumps ahead a few generations to listen to a speech from Aenea. Her ability to time-travel in Hyperion is forgotten, as is her father who accompanied her at the end of Hyperion, or the fact it was stated in Hyperion that she was linked to the Shrike somehow.
    • Instead of an incomprehensible time-traveling god opposing humanity, the Shrike is a robot sent from the future to protect humanity... which makes no sense given its antagonistic actions in Hyperion.
    • Instead of saving humanity from the AI, the events of the Hyperion books had practically no effect at all and humanity is still at the mercy of the AI.
    • Instead of a realistic universe, we have magical blood and time-traveling Jesus on the Cross.
    • Instead of an odd group of normal individuals sharing a journey towards different goals, the protagonist is a super-heroic babysitter guarding a pre-teen girl who's the savior of mankind because of magic blood.
    • The Ousters are completely gone for no reason. The Tree of Pain is forgotten. No mention of the Labyrinths. Earth reappears by magic in the end.

Look, I'm no Hyperion fanboy - I've read the novels once and that's it. I'm just capable of recognizing a botched sequel that ruins a series when I see one.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Funny, a friend of mine was just talking about these books today.

I... liked Hyperion. When I started the book I really liked it, I very much enjoyed the style. It bugged me that the book didn't actually end though. Fall of Hyperion I just finished a month or so ago, and I'm still not sure what to think of it. So much stuff left unexplained, so many bizarre loose ends and incredible events. My favorite parts were the battles with the Ousters. The rest I found.... just to be lacking, and I'm not sure if I can articulate exactly why.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Some changes?
    • Instead of going into an unknown future for some unknown destiny, Rachel just jumps ahead a few generations to listen to a speech from Aenea. Her ability to time-travel in Hyperion is forgotten, as is her father who accompanied her at the end of Hyperion, or the fact it was stated in Hyperion that she was linked to the Shrike somehow.
    • Instead of an incomprehensible time-traveling god opposing humanity, the Shrike is a robot sent from the future to protect humanity... which makes no sense given its antagonistic actions in Hyperion.
    • Instead of saving humanity from the AI, the events of the Hyperion books had practically no effect at all and humanity is still at the mercy of the AI.
    • Instead of a realistic universe, we have magical blood and time-traveling Jesus on the Cross.
    • Instead of an odd group of normal individuals sharing a journey towards different goals, the protagonist is a super-heroic babysitter guarding a pre-teen girl who's the savior of mankind because of magic blood.
    • The Ousters are completely gone for no reason. The Tree of Pain is forgotten. No mention of the Labyrinths. Earth reappears by magic in the end.

Look, I'm no Hyperion fanboy - I've read the novels once and that's it. I'm just capable of recognizing a botched sequel that ruins a series when I see one.

...what? I mean I preferred Hyperion too but you're very much misremembering stuff:
    • Rachel doesn't go straight to Aenea's time, its implied she jumps all over the place and explicitly stated Saul raises her again in the future, also that her story isn't done yet.
    • There are meant to be many iterations of the Shrike, sent back by various factions and the possibilities of God-like beings, the one in Hyperion is bad, this one less so. Its more a killing-enthusiast than something with set goals.
    • It took effort by the AIs to get back in control, and via different means, fuckers are smart apparently. its all about the recurring antagonist and their eventual redemption - an annoying thing is that the short stories set after the Rise of Endymion appear to have 'good' AIs with no explanation of how that happened.
    • Yeah this really annoyed me too, and was the main problem with the sequels for me.
    • Well the journey and single viewpoint is a different style, but you can't expect the exact same book.
    • The Ousters are still around and the Churchs war on them form the whole backdrop for the series - Startree, Space-adapted humans, the Crusade etc. The Tree of Pain existed in the far future when Hyperion had lost its atmosphere, there's no reason it has to appear in the squeal.

Dis' on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just got around to reading Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion this summer, and I thought they were decent.

I did get tired of his blatant references to all manner of things by the Fall of Hyperion; I get it Silenus is named after a satyr, you can stop tipping me off by describing him as satyr like.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just got around to reading Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion this summer, and I thought they were decent.

I did get tired of his blatant references to all manner of things by the Fall of Hyperion; I get it Silenus is named after a satyr, you can stop tipping me off by describing him as satyr like.

He was more than satyr like, he had himself transformed (via genetic engineering of some sort) into a satyr for a period of his life. Not really trying to be subtle there.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just read Hyperion last month. Pretty decent. I was real excited for the first three stories but I felt it ran out of steam for the last ones. The priest, the soldier, and the poet were all fantastic. I felt like the detective story should have been more exciting for its content; I wasn't even really pumped up for the big battle scene. The scholar's story was low key as it naturally should have been, and the diplomat's story was bittersweet but still pretty quiet. Not that I don't enjoy low key, human stories but I feel like the order should have been reversed thematically. I'll read the next book at least.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in the middle of 'The Terror' right now. Great book.

As for 'Good AIs' recall that there were, IIRC, three AI factions during the events of the series.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man just reading the descriptions here reminds me how I gave up 1/2 way into Hyperion.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Some changes?

Uh, yeah. Dis' already pointed out some of the problems in your examples here, and the last few largely just read as ,"Waah! I wanted more of the same and didn't get it!"

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have no problem with the religious undertones in endymion as they are presented in an entirely non-religious way.

also, the blood was explained as having nanomachines in it, not too magical if you ask me....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So it sounds like Simmons has a problem writing endings?

I actually picked up Ilium some time ago but I've been afraid to read it due to that very reason - the reaction to Olympos I saw was a lot of ranting and disappointment.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just finished Ilium at the end of the summer. I'm not too sure I would have finished it if I hadn't loved some of the characters as much as I did. Pretty strange stuff. Does it qualify as "hard" science-fiction?

I've also heard that Song of Kali is either one of the scariest novels ever or a steaming pile of racist trash.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He also wrote The Terror, a fantastic horror novel about exploration of the north pole, and a really fun series of modern noir novels.

The Terror was pretty good (though it never quite clicked with me), right up until
    the last hundred pages, where he apparently decided he was done writing a gripping historical horror novel and instead wanted to write a fantasy story about how awesome those native folk are.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

I actually picked up Ilium some time ago but I've been afraid to read it due to that very reason - the reaction to Olympos I saw was a lot of ranting and disappointment.

I found Olympos to be just fine really, if a little different from what you expected reading through Ilium. Frankly, I found many of the storylines in Olympos to be extremely interesting, Daemann's vendetta, and the survival of the human's on earth. The new Prometheus, Achilles and his "bride," and my favorite character, Prospero, the living computer.

Yes, endings are a bit of a sore point for Simmons, but I think his characters make up fro it.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    I've also heard that Song of Kali is either one of the scariest novels ever or a steaming pile of racist trash.

It's not either, really. Definitely not all that scary, but not trash. My wife, who is Indian, would probably take offense and so I'll never be suggesting that one to her when she's looking for something new to read, but I expect she would find it offensive in the same way that she does Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom - which I am also not ready to declare racist trash.

I would say it's Simmons' worst work that I have read, and it isn't one that I'd really recommend. I just found it to be completely lacking of any of the qualities I admire in works like Hyperion, or The Terror.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One thing with the Hyperion series was that I found the horror aspects of technology thing got a bit too predictable, and this carried on through to Illium as well.

Pretty much any random piece of tech was ultimately some kind of soul-raping cosmic horror, which was fine in Hyperion because it was a surprise, but after reading 5 books you pretty much knew anything remotely powerful was going to have some horrible secret.

By the end I was expecting someone to use a toaster oven, but then find out that while the oven does in fact toast bread it does it by setting fire to the bodies of dead children or something.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some changes?
    [
    [*]Instead of an incomprehensible time-traveling god opposing humanity, the Shrike is a robot sent from the future to protect humanity... which makes no sense given its antagonistic actions in Hyperion.
    [*]Instead of saving humanity from the AI, the events of the Hyperion books had practically no effect at all and humanity is still at the mercy of the AI.

Having just finished the first two, I'm really confused by this part

1) I don't know about Endymion, but as one other person mentioned, the Shrike was one of many, and it was not a time-traveling god in the first one, but actually a robot that was sent back in time to cause sufficient pain and suffering (on the Tree of Thorns) to force the hidden part of the Christian trinity out of hiding.

2) I thought the AI was pretty clear to Gladstone that her choices wouldn't "end" anything, but rather avoid a definitive ending altogether. It was more of a "immediate crisis averted" type of thing.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While I'm thoroughly read in Fantasy, I've never read much Sci-fi. A little here, a little there and then all of Star Wars: NJO.

I have had Hyperion sitting on my bookshelf for several months now and I've tried picking it up twice and I don't get more then 10 pages in before I put it back down. I would like to assume once the story gets going I'll enjoy it, but (and maybe this is part of sci-fi) it feels like every other word is a name for something alien. It's too abstract to enjoy, the page is overflowing with made up words and names for things that I can't pictures or relate to. Great, I get that it's alien but the flow of the story is hindered when I can't quickly read through the passage and know what's what. Sure most of that crap in the first couple pages, like the animals and the landscape, are not important, but it grates on me anyways.

I can handle info dumps, I love Malazan. Weird names and heavy descriptions don't bother me, I read fantasy.
    I get the dialog and I understand what going on, but it just feels disjointed for the sake of being foriegn.

I'm determined to sit down and read it, but right now I'm in the middle of the 2nd omibus of the Black Company series so it'll have to wait.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    I would like to assume once the story gets going I'll enjoy it, but (and maybe this is part of sci-fi) it feels like every other word is a name for something alien. It's too abstract to enjoy, the page is overflowing with made up words and names for things that I can't pictures or relate to. Great, I get that it's alien but the flow of the story is hindered when I can't quickly read through the passage and know what's what. Sure most of that crap in the first couple pages, like the animals and the landscape, are not important, but it grates on me anyways.

I can handle info dumps, I love Malazan. Weird names and heavy descriptions don't bother me, I read fantasy.
    I get the dialog and I understand what going on, but it just feels disjointed for the sake of being foriegn.

This bothered me at first too. It felt like it really slowed down my reading. But then I came to appreciate how exotic it makes the setting, and I just came to accept the words and things I didn't recognize as if I were some foreign traveler taking in the sights of his world.

I would recommend trying to force yourself through this as I had the same problem and it got better once I gave it a good chance.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    While I'm thoroughly read in Fantasy, I've never read much Sci-fi. A little here, a little there and then all of Star Wars: NJO.

I have had Hyperion sitting on my bookshelf for several months now and I've tried picking it up twice and I don't get more then 10 pages in before I put it back down. I would like to assume once the story gets going I'll enjoy it, but (and maybe this is part of sci-fi) it feels like every other word is a name for something alien. It's too abstract to enjoy, the page is overflowing with made up words and names for things that I can't pictures or relate to. Great, I get that it's alien but the flow of the story is hindered when I can't quickly read through the passage and know what's what. Sure most of that crap in the first couple pages, like the animals and the landscape, are not important, but it grates on me anyways.

I'm determined to sit down and read it, but right now I'm in the middle of the 2nd omibus of the Black Company series so it'll have to wait.

I think everyone has that feeling at first.

however it does get better. also, you could just look for some kind of dictionary for the book as I'm sure one exists.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The beginning of Malazan(I've temporarily stopped reading it) really threw me for a loop, because it really is just a whole bunch of names for weird fantasy things that I can't relate to. I felt that Hyperion used a bunch of familiar Sci-Fi ideas(at the beginning of the book, the only thing that was odd to me was the treeship) so I felt like I had a decent grasp of the world.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At least I'm not the only one. It's really a minor gripe, likely due to the fact that lately I've been craving quick reads that I can tear through. My reading time has taken a huge dip as of late and reading stuff that moves along quickly has helped, because otherwise I don't feel like I ever get anywhere in the story.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    Some changes?
    [
    [*]Instead of an incomprehensible time-traveling god opposing humanity, the Shrike is a robot sent from the future to protect humanity... which makes no sense given its antagonistic actions in Hyperion.
    [*]Instead of saving humanity from the AI, the events of the Hyperion books had practically no effect at all and humanity is still at the mercy of the AI.

Having just finished the first two, I'm really confused by this part

1) I don't know about Endymion, but as one other person mentioned, the Shrike was one of many, and it was not a time-traveling god in the first one, but actually a robot that was sent back in time to cause sufficient pain and suffering (on the Tree of Thorns) to force the hidden part of the Christian trinity out of hiding.

2) I thought the AI was pretty clear to Gladstone that her choices wouldn't "end" anything, but rather avoid a definitive ending altogether. It was more of a "immediate crisis averted" type of thing.

The Shrike is the Terminator. In the first movie it's the bad guy, but in the second one gets reprogrammed by the humans and becomes the good guy, and has to fight a newer better version of itself. I don't see how anyone could be confused by this. It is literally almost the exact same plot twist.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm with Richy. The first two Hyperion Cantos books are exciting, engaging and full of wonder and mystery. The latter two are hodge-podge quasi-Christian horse-feces with cardboard protagonists, dull and predictable plot, and even the quality of writing lags significantly. The comparison to the Star Wars prequels should be reversed, quite frankly, in my opinion.

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm with Richy. The first two Hyperion Cantos books are exciting, engaging and full of wonder and mystery. The latter two are hodge-podge quasi-Christian horse-feces with cardboard protagonists, dull and predictable plot, and even the quality of writing lags significantly. The comparison to the Star Wars prequels should be reversed, quite frankly, in my opinion.

yes and the first one had no christian themes at all.....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a difference between looking at a penis and suckling on it like a hungry babe

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There's a difference between looking at a penis and suckling on it like a hungry babe

you have a skewed view of what religious tones are it seems.

I personally liked Endymion better than Hyperion solely for the fact that Hyperion itself was a non story full of background that presented itself in a unique framework which gave it appeal and the fall of hyperion which was the actual story but the ending was written by a drunk crazy guy who wanted to top each crazy idea with a newer and better one and mold it into a story that had no real meaning aside from: tada! its a galskndlawpi.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Would the latter two books satisfy my hunger for lots of space-faring, web-hopping, datasphere-roaming, time-dilating goings on?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

I found Olympos to be just fine really, if a little different from what you expected reading through Ilium. Frankly, I found many of the storylines in Olympos to be extremely interesting, Daemann's vendetta, and the survival of the human's on earth. The new Prometheus, Achilles and his "bride," and my favorite character, Prospero, the living computer.

Yes, endings are a bit of a sore point for Simmons, but I think his characters make up fro it.

Olympos had a lot going on but was far less interesting than Ilium. So many sub-plots just ran into a concrete wall at the end, Harman's odyssey was the only one that felt like it was fully fleshed out.

It really felt like it needed to be stretched out into two books.

Don't get me wrong, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, but both times through the series I was considerably more impressed by the depth and pacing of Ilium. Olympos left me vaguely dissatisfied.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png