As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DDO] Dungeons & Dragons Online - Want people to play with? Top of the OP for info

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know what the actual bonus the paladins aura gives, but I assume that whatever it is it will stack with the enhancement bonus magic armor gives.

Foolish Chaos on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This entire line of discussion is frustrating the fuck out of me, because now I question all the goddamn feats and enhancement bonuses I want to take but will apparently clash with goddamn fucking items. This is horseshit.

Henroid on
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feats stack with everything, or at least close.

Jeix on
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ANything you gain with Enhancements or Feats will stack regardless, the only tsuff that you have to worry about stacking is Spells and Items

Who-Psyd on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Then... why the fuck are we putting people through this doubt? :?

That means your enhancement bonuses to your paladin AC aura stacks with everything else. Why couldn't someone say that from the start instead of going into long exposition?

Henroid on
    edited September 2009
    Cause D&D is a very confusing pen and paper game (sometimes), and we wouldn't want people to miss out on that experience with the online version, would we?

Foolish Chaos on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played dis! Joined the guild today, Tacharan Faol, Barbarian.

I did an elite Misery Peak at level 2 with 2 other barbs (level 3 and 2), a paladin (level 4), and a cleric? I got 56 kill shots, with the level 3 barbarian the next highest at 35 kills.

Basically, I'm awesome.

I have a question though. My character sheet says that I'm limited to level 4. Do I have to pay to go higher or something? I didn't see that in the Turbine Points info stuff from the OP, but maybe I missed it.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
    edited September 2009
    You can buy the ability to progress further, or you can also find the sigils needed to do so.

I think I found my stone after doing a normal run of Walk the Butchers Path on Normal, though I think what loot you find is fairly random.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2009
    Cause D&D is a very confusing pen and paper game (sometimes), and we wouldn't want people to miss out on that experience with the online version, would we?

We can't get into arguments with the DM though. D:

Henroid on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    As a general rule of thumb, the only kind of bonus that stacks is a Dodge bonus. For everything else, you can have one bonus (The highest) from any type. (Enhancement, Armor, Shield, Luck, Deflection, etc. This counts for spells, worn items, feats, enhancements and racial/class abilities, unless specifically stated otherwise.)

Someone can probably find you a link to all the different of bonus types in game, but sadly I'm at work behind a very odd filter.

Key phrase here is "General rule of thumb", you may find exceptions, but the only thing that comes to mind are the racial/class Enhancements that increase your stats, and I can' recall offhand what kind of bonus they are.

So I'm clear (total newb here), if I choose the +to armor for my aura as pally, it doesn't double stack with anything else? So, I should go for Fear (or +save?) resistance since almost nothing else gives benifits to those skills?

It depends on what the bonus is. If it just says +2 to Armor Class, then that is an untyped bonus and stacks with everything. At least thats how I think it works.

If it says +2 enhancement bonus to armor class, then that bonus will not stack with other enhancement bonuses.

this is incorrect. +2 to armour class is +2 to armour AC and does not stack with other armour AC's such as the +5 AC part of +5 Fullplate, it will not give you +7 AC, only +5.

... we need to be clear on what these bonuses are coming from. A set of +4 bracers of defense will not give you any bonus armor if you are wearing armor. However, +5 shields will give you bonus defense above and beyond whatever your armor gives you.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited September 2009
    We need to be clear on it so that I can add that info to the OP, because it's very freaking important.

Anyone got a 3.5 rulebook laying around? <_<

Henroid on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This info was technically for NwN 1, but most of it will probably apply here at least in principle even if some of the specifics are off. For example, I'm not sure if the Tumble bonus works the same, but this should give you enough of an idea to figure it all out.

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=464150&forum=42
    Terra's Guide to Armor Class and Stacking

Disclaimer: The purpose of this topic is to help anyone that does not understand the different types of Armor Class bonuses and/or simply wishes to have more information on how the various bonuses work together. If you find this topic helpful, I would ask you to post a link to it if you see someone else with questions that would be answered by it. Even if it only helps one person though, it was well worth writing.

If you've played Neverwinter Nights for a while, you've probably learned that there are several types of Armor Class bonuses and that some will work together (Stack) and some will not. Knowing what stacks and what doesn't can often mean the difference between useful equipment and useless equipment.

To begin, I have divided up the types of Armor Class into 6 categories: Natural, Armor, Shield, Deflection, Dodge, and Other. The first 5 categories will be familiar to anyone who has looked at the types of Armor bonuses the various items give. The sixth (Other) category is collection of several Armor Class bonuses that don't fit into any of the other categories. Below you'll find a list of all the types of Armor Class bonuses found in Neverwinter Nights however first we should talk about Stacking.

As mentioned above, Stacking is a term used to describe when two types of Armor Class bonuses will both add to your character's Armor Class or whether only the higher bonus of the two will apply.

All bonuses stack with each other (ie Armor will stack with Shield and Deflection will stack with Natural...etc). In other words, if you have an Armor with a +4 Armor bonus and a ring with +5 Deflection bonus, you will have +9 Armor Class since they stack.

Armor, Shield, Deflection, and Natural Armor bonuses will not stack bonuses of the same type. This means that if you have a Ring which gives +4 Deflection Armor class and a cloak which gives +5 Deflection Armor class, you will only get the +5 Deflection from the cloak since it's the higher bonus.

Dodge bonuses will stack up to a maximum of 20 points*. This means that if you have a pair of boots giving you +15 Dodge bonus, Haste (+4 Dodge), and Shadow Evade giving +4 Dodge, you will only have 20 points of Dodge.

* Note: It should be noted that the maximum bonus of any type (Other not included) is 20 points however this usually only matters for Dodge since its the only type of AC that stacks with itself.

Onto the list!

Sources of Natural Armor Class
    Item: Amulet AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Feat: Epic Mage Armor (+5)
    Spell: Mage Armor (+1)
    Spell: Barkskin (+3-5)
    Spell: Shadow Shield (+5)
    Spell: Tenser's Transformation (+4)

Sources of Armor Armor Class
    Item: Armor AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Item: Bracer AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Spell: Magic Vestment (+1-5)

Sources of Shield Armor Class
    Item: Shield AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Spell: Magic Vestment (+1-5)

Sources of Deflection Armor Class
    Item: Ring AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Item: Belt AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Item: Helm AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Item: Cloak AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Item: Weapon AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Spell: Shield (+4)
    Spell: Shield of Faith (+2-5)
    Spell: Protection from Evil (+2 versus selected alignment)
    Spell: Aura Versus Alignment (+4 versus selected alignment)
    Spell: Magic Circle of Protection (+2 versus selected alignment)

Sources of Dodge Armor Class
    Item: Boots AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Feat: Bard Song (+2-7)
    Feat: Shadow Evade (+1-4)
    Feat: Divine Shield (+1-20)
    Spell: Haste (+4)
    Spell: Epic Mage Armor (+5)
    Spell: Undeath's Eternal Foe (+4)

Other Sources of Armor Class
    Char: Character Base AC (10)
    Item: Armor Base (+1-8)
    Item: Shield Base (+1-3)
    Feat: Dodge (+1)
    Feat: Bone Skin (+2-16)
    Feat: Small Stature (+1)
    Feat: Monk Wisdom AC Bonus (+1-20)
    Feat: Monk 5 Level AC Bonus (+1-8)
    Feat: Draconic Armor (+1-4)
    Feat: Expertise/Improved Expertise (+5/+10)
    Skill: Tumble (+1-8)

The first five sources don't need too much explanation however the Other category could bear a little clarification. The Other category holds several bonuses that belong to no other category and could actually be categories in themselves since they all stack with each other however for simplicity I have put them all together.

The first source is your character's base AC of 10. This is your natural base. The next two items (Armor and Shield base) are the standard Armor Class bonuses from wearing armor and carrying a shield.

The Dodge feat, oddly enough, doesn't provide Dodge Armor Class but it is instead counted as its own separate Armor Class. Next we have Bone Skin which is a Pale Master feat that gets bigger with more Pale Master levels. The Small Stature bonus which comes from being a Halfling grants a +1 bonus to Armor Class.

The Monk Wisdom AC bonus is just what it sounds like, it's the Armor Class bonus a Monk gets from her Wisdom modifier. The Monk 5 level bonus represents a +1 bonus to Armor Class a Monk gets every 5 levels. Draconic Armor is the Armor Class bonus a Red Dragon Disciple gets.

Expertise and Improved Expertise are feats which give the character a bonus to Armor Class but reduce Attack Bonus. Finally, the Tumble bonus is such that a character gains +1 to Armor Class for every five ranks in the Tumble skill.

citizen059 on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I believe the Paladin Aura has its own modifer types for AC and Save vs. Fear, and basically stacks with everything.

It is true that Feats & Enhancements always stack because A) There are no feats that increase a Stat and the only feats that increase armor class are Dodge and Two Weapon Defense. (I believe?)

Every class and every race has Enhancements that increase stats, and they DO stack with eachother AND with items. Any Tome that increases a Stat is a permanent, Inherent bonus, and thus always stacks. (However, if you use a +1 Tome and later use a +2, the higher overwrite the previous, you can safely "eat" one Tome for each of the 6 Stats, if so desired)

The ability score increases you gain every 4 levels is not an actual bonus at all, as you are literally increasing the base score.

There are modifier types that are always used for certain benefits, and nothing else.
    Armor, Shield, Dodge, Deflection and Natural Armor always add to AC and nothing else.

Even if a piece of armor, say a Chain Shirt, has a +5 Enhancement bonus, the entire bonus of the armor is considered a +9 Armor Bonus.

The same goes for a Shield. A +5 Heavy Steel Shield provides a total of a +7 Shield bonus to your AC.

Open your character sheet and hover your mouse above your Armor Class.
    It will reveal your total armor and how the number was reached.

This is a great way to learn how your armor class can be raised and how the modifiers stack.

Don't worry so much about your Feats stacking with eachother as the game has carefully laid out the bonus types and what kind of bonus you can get from a feat and that concern is not an issue.
    For Enhancements, go nuts, you can reset them every 3 days at a minor coin cost if you find something that isn't working as hoped.

I hope I clarified a little bit and didn't cause anymore more confusion with this post.
    If I did, well, accept my apologies and feel free to ignore my posts =P

Bloodshed on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm so happy I looted a "collapsed portable hole". Now all I need is the favor with the coin lords and it's all mine.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    This entire line of discussion is frustrating the fuck out of me, because now I question all the goddamn feats and enhancement bonuses I want to take but will apparently clash with goddamn fucking items. This is horseshit.

Its only spells and items. Feats and enhancements stack regardless.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    This info was technically for NwN 1, but most of it will probably apply here at least in principle even if some of the specifics are off. For example, I'm not sure if the Tumble bonus works the same, but this should give you enough of an idea to figure it all out.

stuff

Tumble in DDO provides no AC boost whatsoever unless you also have the Mobility feat, which adds +4 while doing so. Without mobility its only advantages are quick movement at a moment and reducing falling damage.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited September 2009
    Can't say I had a terrible amount of fun dying a lot today.

Henroid on
    edited September 2009
    Heh.

So my cleric hit level 4. I find that I like hitting stuff so I decided to take a level in fighter so I could be proficient with 2h martial weapons. For my bonus feat I decide I want slashing weapons and take weapon focus (slashing). Up to this point I've been using a shield and +1 heavy mace.

Later on in the night what do I find? A really badass 1h bludgeoning weapon. Its a +1 club which (3 times per day) gives my healing spells a 50% boost as long as they are level 3 or lower. For 3 minutes.

Foolish Chaos on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heh.

So my cleric hit level 4. I find that I like hitting stuff so I decided to take a level in fighter so I could be proficient with 2h martial weapons. For my bonus feat I decide I want slashing weapons and take weapon focus (slashing). Up to this point I've been using a shield and +1 heavy mace.

Later on in the night what do I find? A really badass 1h bludgeoning weapon. Its a +1 club which (3 times per day) gives my healing spells a 50% boost as long as they are level 3 or lower. For 3 minutes.

I'm a cleric (mostly) and i sepcialize in 2-handed slashing and do just peachy.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited September 2009
    So I'm thinking of making a fighter. A fighter who can tank. Poking around on the character generator I realized there's a lot of enhancements geared toward allowing more dex bonus to apply with heavier armors worn and tower shields. Which means I should probably invest in dex some, and forsake strength a tad? And what's the verdict on tumbling with tanks (mobility and the enhancement to boost it)? And how exactly does keeping my shield held up to block come into play? Should I take bludgeoning specialty feats?

My current poke-at starting stats are:

STR: 13
    DEX: 15
    CON: 16
    INT: 13
    WIS: 8
    CHA: 8

First three feats (human) would be toughness (helps build up the enhancement line), weapon finesse, and combat expertise, followed up with improved trip at level 2. I'll spare the rest of the build discussion 'til these things get answered. <_<

Henroid on
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here is some DDO specific AC information, although it is a bit out of date:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=115491

Reiten on
  • JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    AC stacking.

Armor Bonus: Highest Modifier. This includes armor, +armor bracers, or things like Mage Armor.

Dexterity Bonus: Your dexterity modifier to AC, sometimes limited by armor.

Shield Bonus: Highest Modifier. An actual shield, the shield spell, or two weapon defense.

Protection Bonus: Highest Modifier. "Deflection" A normal protection item won't stack with things like the deflection bonus on Protection vs Evil.

Dodge Bonus: Seperate values and sources stack, +1 dodge feat and +1 item dodge stack, they will also stack with +2 item dodge and +3 item dodge, giving you a potential +7 dodge AC bonus. Combat expertise +5 and various other class and racial enhancements can bring this higher.

Natural Bonus: Rarer as items, most common is barkskin, +1-5.

Size Bonus: Halflings get a +1 ac that stacks with everything due to being small.

Wisdom Bonus: Taking 1 level of monk will give you your wisdom bonus to AC.

Monk Bonus: Taking monk levels gives you ac bonuses.

Luck Bonus: Recitation and Holy Aura(If it worked) give you luck bonuses to AC, +2 and +4 respectively.

Insight Bonuses: A few insight bonuses stack, some from enhancements some from items "of parrying" and raid items. These are the only choosy ones when contemplating what stacks or not.

Blocking: +2 ac.

Paladin Aura: +1-4 ac vs evil, good ignores.

Mobility(feat): +4 ac while tumbling, fighter enhancements can boost this to +10.

Alchemical: +1 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 abbot trinket.

Highest Non-Situational AC for Halfling Strength Fighter: Halfling 19 fighter/1monk

Base: 10
    Armor: 14(Full plate of defender)
    Dex: 6
    Shield: 9
    Protection: 5
    Dodge: 12
    Natural: 5
    Size: 1
    Wisdom: 5
    Monk: Uncentered-0
    Luck: 2
    Insight: 5
    Blocking: 2
    Mobility: 10
    Alchemical: 3
    Haste: 1
    90 Non Situational AC.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of making a fighter. A fighter who can tank. Poking around on the character generator I realized there's a lot of enhancements geared toward allowing more dex bonus to apply with heavier armors worn and tower shields. Which means I should probably invest in dex some, and forsake strength a tad? And what's the verdict on tumbling with tanks (mobility and the enhancement to boost it)? And how exactly does keeping my shield held up to block come into play? Should I take bludgeoning specialty feats?

My current poke-at starting stats are:

STR: 13
    DEX: 15
    CON: 16
    INT: 13
    WIS: 8
    CHA: 8

First three feats (human) would be toughness (helps build up the enhancement line), weapon finesse, and combat expertise, followed up with improved trip at level 2. I'll spare the rest of the build discussion 'til these things get answered. <_<

Tanks and Tumble - The main thing to think about when planning tumble as a fighter is armor penalty reducing your tumble skill. Mithril armor and shields are lightweight, so they have a much smaller armor penalty than standard steel plate, making them ideal for mobility tanks.

Keeping your shield up - On your character sheet, next to the Armor Class statistic, is a box labelled Blocking DR. It's exactly how it sounds, whenever you are actively blocking with shift, you gain an additional DR/-. There are also feats and enhancements that add to your blocking DR, as well as Improved Shield Bash, which allows you to keep your blocking bonus even while swinging your shield for damage.

Lastly, Weapon Finesse. As it only applies to certain light weapons, plan carefully which type of weapon you want to be carrying. Fighters can use enhancements to improve their strength, so although its starting on the low side, it can be improved over time.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
    edited September 2009
    So, my new Wizard is level 3 and I'm having a lot of trouble getting used to Wizards in DDO as compared to casters in other MMOs I've played, or even playing a Wizard in NWN!

My spell selection seems kind of lackluster. For level 1 damaging spells, I have as viable spells, Niac's, Burning Hands, and Magic Missile. Niac's is great, but things seem to make their Reflex saves at least 50% of the time, even if I'm casting against something not traditionally quick on their feet, like a melee dude or a caster. Magic Missile is awesome as it always is, but the damage is just laughable at this level. Burning Hands is somewhere in the middle, but it's hard to get things in the cone for it, since combat is so mobile and fast-paced. Level 2 spells are a bit better, like Scorching Ray and Acid Arrow and such, but the SP cost is prohibitive to use for my only damaging spells.

I tried sticking with mainly CC stuff like Hypnotize, Web, and whatnot, but it didn't seem to work out too well. I'm not sure what I should be doing, really.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You are correct on your assessment of enemies reflex saves. Man do they more often than not make those saves. On my wizard I find the only two first level damage spells worth anything to be acid spray and magic missile. For the most part summon monster spells and a high diplomacy skill are the way to go, except summon monster II the scorpion is terrible. Charm is where it's at for crowd control as most enemies are fairly susceptible to it.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhoramKhoram Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can buy the ability to progress further, or you can also find the sigils needed to do so.

I think I found my stone after doing a normal run of Walk the Butchers Path on Normal, though I think what loot you find is fairly random.

I got one on a Solo difficulty run of Butcher's Path last night.

Man I had no idea you had to hold Shift to block with a shield! Awesome!

Khoram on
  • JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wizards are not nukers really, you can burn your SP killing a boss, but generally you should be picking off crucial mobs that need to die fast and CCing.

I take conjuration focus and use a conjuration focus weapon, as well as heighten, every bit of DC on your wizard for the "Main" spells your using helps, from 1-13 it will mainly be conjuration for web, which is unfortunately one of the best spells even at the current end game, its the only thing that has effect on the mobs in the level 19 quests.

When you get 7th level spells and pick up finger of death, you may want to swap conjuration focus feat for necromancy, finger of death = destroyer of worlds, with a high enough int and save you can pretty much insta kill anything thats not a purple named. Finger of Death+ Enervation is your combo, with Flesh to stone for things that have some kind of deathward. If all else fails, Firewall and run the stuff back and forth through an empowered/maximized/extended firewall.

If none of that works, well...make sure you pick up the irresistable dance, as a general rule anything thats immune to web/Energy Drains/Fire will be vulnerable to...dancing!

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
    edited September 2009
    Well how would I Enhance a Wizard such as that anyway? I've been pretty much just following this new player build.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Well how would I Enhance a Wizard such as that anyway? I've been pretty much just following this new player build.

Sorcs are better at nuking than wiz simply because they have a larger sp pool. Wizards are the best at flexibility since they can swap in and out spells. If you look at the capstone enhancements for pure builds, you'll also see this reflected. Sorcs are simply the best arcane class for nuking. However, if you really want to play a nuker on that build, at the very least swap Enlarge and Heighten. Heighten should be taken much earlier, even if you are a nuker. For example, Web stays quite viable through almost the entire game if you have Heighten. Enlarge is much less useful.

Edit: if you do decide to go more CC and less nuking (you'll do both in either case), I'd also drop the Subtle Spellcasting and certainly drop the Elven Dex. That's what Insightful Reflexes are for!

Reiten on
    edited September 2009
    I feel like a healing god ever since I got that healing club. Its like I am empowering all of my healing spells, without paying the extra SP, for nearly 10 minutes per day (which I originally thought meant an actual day, though always recharges after I visit a rest shrine).

And now that I realize item sets exist, I am no longer feeling down that it is not a slashing weapon. Really simple to just switch to it, activate the ability, then switch over to my Greataxe or handaxe+shield.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2009
    Reiten wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »

Sorcs are better at nuking than wiz simply because they have a larger sp pool. Wizards are the best at flexibility since they can swap in and out spells. If you look at the capstone enhancements for pure builds, you'll also see this reflected. Sorcs are simply the best arcane class for nuking. However, if you really want to play a nuker on that build, at the very least swap Enlarge and Heighten. Heighten should be taken much earlier, even if you are a nuker. For example, Web stays quite viable through almost the entire game if you have Heighten. Enlarge is much less useful.

Well what about the damage and crit% enhancements? I have no issue rejiggering the build to be more support and CC rather than straight pew pew, but I just don't know what to enhance for.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ExidExid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played this game for a few days before Aion came out. I'm thinking about starting it up again just to kill time in class. (My laptop can actually play it.) I was looking into a melee cleric, and when it says 15 cleric / 1 paladin as the build, does that mean, for example, I'm a cleric, and at level 2 i go to the paladin trainer and train as a paladin, and then at level 3 go back to training as a cleric? I'm kind of confused.

Exid on
    edited September 2009
    When you are ready to level up, talk to the paladin trainer. That level will be taken in that class. For instance, I took my first 3 levels in Cleric. When it told me I was ready to hit level 4, I went and talked to the Fighter trainer. And took a level in fighter.

The next time it tells me I gained a level, I will go speak with the Cleric trainer and ask to level up in that class again.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2009
    Sweet. So are you going for a melee cleric also? I really like it when I tried it. I didn't have the fighter level though, so I'm remaking one as a dwarf.

Exid on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    I was thinking of one, too. I wish you could sub out 4 levels of Fighter, but that would cut off level 9 spells.

A duck! on
    edited September 2009
    Kind of.

As far as I can tell, I would go insane trying to play this game with only spell casting. Especially as a cleric where you are expected to use all of your spell points for healing if necessary. Which is why I think that clerics are given heavy armor and medium base attack bonus. You need to be able to also hit people when you arn't healing or buffing.

The level in fighter was for proficiency with decent 2H weapons and other 1H weapons. The extra feat was a nice bonus.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2009
    My melee cleric ripped through stuff until I got into the sewers and everything. I started missing over and over and over. Although, I didnt know wtf I was doing as far as stats and spec. Maybe it will be easier this time. Should I go cleric 1, fighter 2, cleric 3, cleric 4 etc etc.. Or do cleric level 1/2 then fighter at 3?

Exid on
    edited September 2009
    I would heavily suggest you take your first three levels in cleric, and then branch off where you want.

At level 3, you get level 2 spells. Which means Cure Moderate (2d8+level heal) and more importantly, stat buffing spells. Which is kind of important to the melee cleric. Bulls strength gives you +4 strength for 1 minute/caster level. Which is good at least while your starting (doesn't stack with alot of items).

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2009
    So the game just gave me the finger. Did some questing and just now got boots of feather falling.

Could've used that shit yesterday. But hey, who's counting?

Henroid on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel like a healing god ever since I got that healing club. Its like I am empowering all of my healing spells, without paying the extra SP, for nearly 10 minutes per day (which I originally thought meant an actual day, though always recharges after I visit a rest shrine).

And now that I realize item sets exist, I am no longer feeling down that it is not a slashing weapon. Really simple to just switch to it, activate the ability, then switch over to my Greataxe or handaxe+shield.

Lalki gave me a helm with a perm 30% boost to Level2 and below healing spells.

It rocks.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm