As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA & PC] Gyromancer: Square-Enix & PopCap take on Puzzle Quest

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So apparently this project started as a joke.
    Jason Kapalka, PopCap’s co-founder and chief creative officer, says he was half-joking when he pitched a game concept that combined Final Fantasy’s role-playing action and Bejeweled’s addictive casual gameplay to Square Enix.

The folks at PopCap were fans of another RPG-Bejeweled hybrid, Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. In the early stages of brainstorming the concept that would eventually become Gyromancer, they figured it would be “karmically neutral” for PopCap to try making a similar title.

PopCap and Square Enix last week announced their collaboration on Gyromancer, a puzzle/RPG hybrid for Xbox 360 and PC the two companies are developing.

Kapalka told Wired.com that he brought up the hybrid idea as a goof while meeting with Square Enix, which publishes some of PopCap game’s in Japan. But once he mentioned “Final Fantasy Bejeweled,” the idea began to gather momentum: Yuichi Murasawa, designer of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy Tactics A2, got wind of the Gyromancer concept and jumped on board.

“Suddenly it was a real project over at Square,” Kapalka said.

Once real work toward creating Gyromancer was under way, the next task was to help differentiate the game they were making from Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. That’s why Square Enix decided to use Bejeweled Twist as the basis for the combat rather than the original flavor of Bejeweled.

Bejeweled Twist, according to Kapalka, had a more “strategic, hard-core feel that fit better with their vision for the game’s story line and world.”

PopCap built early prototypes for the puzzle engine, then handed the keys over to Square Enix.

“Square took over and did the bulk of the design and development fleshing out the RPG elements and of course adding all the incredible artwork and music,” Kapalka said. “It’s just been really fascinating to see them working, and of course pretty gratifying to see the offhand idea of ‘Final Fantasy Bejeweled‘ actually come to life.”

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/09/popcap-collaboration-with-square-enix-started-as-joke/#more-16943

So awesome.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Man if this started as a joke I want The World Ends With Zuma to become a reality

Rent on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So it's official. Bejewelled twist is "hard-core". Square sez so.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Needs more release date. And said date needs to be now.

Vincent Grayson on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Man if this started as a joke I want The World Ends With Zuma to become a reality

When you end a battle, you say, "Gotta hop!"
    Because, you know, it's a frog.
    I'll show myself out.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I AM INTERESTED IN PLAYING THIS GAME.

august on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »

When you end a battle, you say, "Gotta hop!"
    Because, you know, it's a frog.
    I'll show myself out.

Every game should have a crazy math/physicist boss.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    august wrote: »
    I AM INTERESTED IN PLAYING THIS GAME.

Neurotika on
    edited October 2009
    I just got the Dwarf in Puzzle Quest, which I bought for 400 points a while ago. This game strains my eyes for some reason, but I'm fine if I take a break for a while.

My character is a weakass Fire Mage or something. At least it has Fireball and Wall of Fire. Together with Heat Sink, it's all I use.

This game has such cool looking polish. I've never played any Bejeweled, so this will be how I start.

Cantido on
    edited November 2009
    Looks like this is coming out on the 18th of November! Excitement!

EDIT: 2009, like this year!

EDIT-ga: Release date!

Neurotika on
    edited November 2009
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

EDIT - I see this game has titties. Oh, SquareENIX. <3

Cantido on
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit, it's out in less than a week?

If this winds up being like Puzzle Quest, only minus the frustrations and plus lots of polish... my butt won't leave the couch for weeks.

Edit: Oh my god, just saw the video. This looks FANTASTIC.

cloudeagle on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I waited for months for Galactrix which turned out to be great in concept and was just...flawed in so many ways. Now you're telling me this thing is coming out in 6 days? Just like that?

I don't know...I want to find another PQ-style game to love, but I'm not gonna get suckered again. I want a demo before I'm buying this one.

El Guaco on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That trailer practically makes me salivate. Hope it lives up to its promise.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »

I waited for months for Galactrix which turned out to be great in concept and was just...flawed in so many ways. Now you're telling me this thing is coming out in 6 days? Just like that?

I don't know...I want to find another PQ-style game to love, but I'm not gonna get suckered again. I want a demo before I'm buying this one.

Put it to you this way. Has PopCap ever released anything that wasn't fun at the very least?

cloudeagle on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eh I loved PQ, but what does this game really offer over that? I'll probably break down and get it anyway, but I'm hoping for some kind of innovation or edge over what we've already got in PQ. Trailer showed me PQ with a different skin pretty much.

at the very least give me different puzzle battle types for different enemy types or something like (bejeweled, zuma, peggle, card based, dice, tower defense, etc.....) like one super game with everything thrown in with an RPG wrapper or something.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eh I loved PQ, but what does this game really offer over that?

Collectible monsters.
    COLLECTIBLE MONSTERS!!!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And artwork that is actually not-crappy.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    And artwork that is actually not-crappy.

But does that make if fun?

El Guaco on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Am I the only one who prefers Galatrix over Puzzle Quest?

I hope this isn't good. I couldn't afford to have my wife sucked in AGAIN.

One moment she is on the couch saying "oooooh what's this" and the next I lose her for six or seven months to the game. Sort'a like tron.

useless4 on
    edited November 2009
    It's odd that this isn't on Steam for preorders at all yet. I wonder if the release date is actually, you know, real or just a prediction.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    It's odd that this isn't on Steam for preorders at all yet. I wonder if the release date is actually, you know, real or just a prediction.

I was thinking the same...I hope it shows up soon.

Neurotika on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish this was portable. Hopefully Squeenix will port it to everything under the sun at some point.

Galactrix and Puzzle Kingdoms were both so very, very bad.

Norfair on
    edited November 2009
    Any word on price?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Hm. Here's hoping that the release date we have isn't just for Japan.

cloudeagle on
    edited November 2009
    I've been poking around, and I don't see anything about a different release date in the States. Looks like the price is $15.00.

Heck, even if it sucks, fifteen bucks ain't much. I've had a bad pizza that cost more than that.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This could be awesome. Hoping we get an English version before the end of the year.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I was thinking about that too, but it isn't exactly rare for things to pop up on Steam without being listed as coming soon beforehand.

Peewi on
  • LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/SQUARE-ENIX-DLG/167831379364?ref=ts

Square Enix has a facebook fanpage for their downloadable games and they've confirmed the November 18th release date

Lethardicus on
    edited November 2009
    Why does Cait Sith look awesome. He's not allowed to be cool.

Cantido on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bought on day one.

I was pretty disappointed in Galactrix frankly, I think the original PQ was a lot more fun.
    Can't wait to try this puppy out, i'm really interested to see how Square/Enix did on taking the puzzle games yet a step further. High expectations.

zhen_rogue on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah, I never even got around to finishing Galactrix. It had a lot of good ideas but the execution of most of them was very blah :[

aBlank on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I was thinking about that too, but it isn't exactly rare for things to pop up on Steam without being listed as coming soon beforehand.

I hope it never comes out on Steam, because as soon as it does...

I mean, now they already keep your card information, it's like two clicks!

Xtarath on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

I hope it never comes out on Steam, because as soon as it does...

I mean, now they already keep your card information, it's like two clicks!

This is how I ended up buying Modern Warfare 2 after swearing I wouldn't.

It's just too easy! Also, the game's webpage says "Steam" right on it, so I assume that'll be where you get the PC version.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    templewulf wrote: »
    Morvidus wrote: »
    As long as the computer isn't always 300 steps ahead of the player, this will be good.

Not to say I still don't fucking love PQ. I have both on DS and never go anywhere without them!

Goddamn cheating-whore AI. Oh, you moved one piece and five skulls fell down magically in a column? Screw you!

It never cheated. This is called selective memory. Undoubtedly you moved a piece and got lucky countless times. Does that mean you were cheating?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    As long as the computer isn't always 300 steps ahead of the player, this will be good.

Not to say I still don't fucking love PQ. I have both on DS and never go anywhere without them!

Goddamn cheating-whore AI. Oh, you moved one piece and five skulls fell down magically in a column? Screw you!

It never cheated. This is called selective memory. Undoubtedly you moved a piece and got lucky countless times. Does that mean you were cheating?

If you can read binary, you could read the computer bitching that it's user was a cheating asshole.

aBlank on
    edited November 2009

If I recall correctly, the programmer has said that he didn't program the AI to cheat because he was too lazy to make it work.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the love of all that is video games, please let's not start yet another thread that debates whether or not the AI cheats in Puzzle Quest. It's been disproven. You're just unlucky sometimes. End of story.

http://forums.infinite-interactive.com/showpost.php?p=1329#2133
    Hi All,

I can definitely state that the AI in NO way cheats, nor does it know what gems are going to fall. I wrote the AI code myself, so I am 100% certain of this.

Look at it another way...
    a) I am a programmer, so I'm basically lazy
    b) Writing a cheating AI with look-ahead & multiple board evaluations is a LOT more work than writing a non-cheating AI that merely evaluates a single board
    c) If I wanted to make the game harder, I actually would have done the LAZY thing and just given the monsters more Life Points

Cheers

-Steve

From page 2 of this thread.

I don't really like Bejeweled Twist, but I can't resist this.

Mustachio Jones on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the love of all that is video games, please let's not start yet another thread that debates whether or not the AI cheats in Puzzle Quest. It's been disproven. You're just unlucky sometimes. End of story.

Hi All,

I can definitely state that the AI in NO way cheats, nor does it know what gems are going to fall. I wrote the AI code myself, so I am 100% certain of this.

b) Writing a cheating AI with look-ahead & multiple board evaluations is a LOT more work than writing a non-cheating AI that merely evaluates a single board
    c) If I wanted to make the game harder, I actually would have done the LAZY thing and just given the monsters more Life Points

Cheers

-Steve

Why would he say the AI cheats anyway?

"Oh yeah I made a game where the AI cheats" that's really gonna sell himself and the game to people.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited November 2009

Hi All,

Cheers

-Steve

Why would he say the AI cheats anyway?

"Oh yeah I made a game where the AI cheats" that's really gonna sell himself and the game to people.

Why even answer the question then? Surely silence is better than lying, don't you think? But don't let me stop the whole conspiracy theory.

aBlank on