As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey it's Lolly! *Dump*

LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
I've neglected you all for a while...but here's some things I've been doing.
A robot
Pegasus_Humanoid-Mode.jpg
My girl
Mellen_Cartoon.jpg
Mellen_1.jpg
An idea called Tellura Seed that's been on the back burner
Kioni2.jpg
TGB_Hero.jpg
Dark-Kioni-1.jpg
Etana2.jpg
Etana1-1.jpg
Paka1.jpg
Shaduvven.jpg
shaduvven2.jpg
shaduvven3.jpg
TGB_Techie-1.jpg
TechsMechFINAL.jpg
(yes that's Eidi's original drawing composited into the mech. mostly just for proof of concept sake, and a tight deadline)
something else in my head for a space opera
Pan_Concept2.jpg
Hook_Concept.jpg
Girl.jpg
annnd the oldest bit that I don't remember if I posted up here last time I checked in
Uriel-Vs-DragonKing-1.jpg
Uriel-1.jpg
Sanjuro-1.jpg
CHOW156_Lalilulelo.jpg

Lalilulelo on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kick ass dump....you've definately improved.

Mustang on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Boobs on the big black lady look really weird to me, and some of your feet are rendered really loosely which looks weird when the rest of the body is rendered tightly.

But hey these are dang sweet, cool ideas and way better overall than the last time I checked your stuff!

Agentflit on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You have been gone a long time, lali.
    You're much better now.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In these, some of the areas are tremendously developed, such as faces and mechanical bits. But sometimes, things like your clothing and textures degrade into, "Oh hey look at all these brushes I can use."

Some pretty slick concept stuff going on, though. Even if that white haired chick changes weight between every one.

Charis on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that black chick just makes me think of Ward from Final Fantasy 8
    Etana1-1.jpg240749-ward4_large.jpg

I mean, all you've done is make him a black woman

RubberAC on
    edited September 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »

/hermit crab

Charis on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It seems like your textures are a little obtrusive at times- take for instance your first picture, there are textures that overlap both the background and the robot which makes things much flatter than they should be.

You have similar problems at other times (like on the dragon that is spiraling out) because the texture keeps the same pattern size even though its moving father/closer the point where we are observing from.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »

I never played FF8

*googles ward*

O_O >_<

@ Napupuchino: First pic, only texture I see overlapping figure and background is the dust in the air. On the dragon though, yeah I know what you mean :/ Still....working on that.

Thanks for responding guys.

Lalilulelo on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't realize that was supposed to be dust, the dots seem very large to be dust but... i can see them as dust now that you mention it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like quite a bit of these, but like Charis said some of the times you let the fancy brushes take over the picture rather than sturdy composition or painting skill.

Something to watch out for next time. I'd personally like to see some good 'ol fashioned oil paintings being posted, so you don't have the crutch of fancy brush effects to lean on.

Godfather on
    edited September 2009
    I resent the word 'crutch' -- the forms and composition (when it's not just a character standing there) are there, they come first of course. But yeah, I'm always trying different textures out, you can always dial them back or paint over them though.
    and they make me happy :(

Agentflit - I may be way off the mark (didn't have any buxom sistahs to pose for me (you know, writing that out, I realize, this is my curse, this is a problem)) but I was thinking, this woman is very voluptuous, very buxom, if she were a combatant, she'd have 'the girls' strapped down and supported, so they might be tight against her body, and not sitting like they were just in a bra. That's an explanation, but it's certainly plausible that I just fucked it all up.
    1214165804190.gif

Lalilulelo on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just reinforcing that the textures are hurting your work, sir. This seems to be a running theme, actually. There are a few too many elements- on the first one, the wispy designs on those two side panels don't look like they belong there.

It's like he got into a crash and bought the non-matching replacement panels because they were cheaper.

Tam on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I mean, it's good that you're trying new things to get different effects and familiar with its application, but sometimes less is more. Wakkawa uses Photoshop 5 and his compositions/paintings are amazing, and part of the reason is because he has a strong traditional approach to things (at least, that's what I usually get when I see Wak's artwork).

Just some food for thought.

Godfather on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Besides the brush and texture thing, your faces are generally inconsistent and you really, really need to work on lower legs and feet. Mostly, they're too big or too wide. Also, I'd really like to see you completely render some of these. The way I see it is that even though they're very conceptual, because some things are rendered a little more tightly or a little more loosely (though mostly, the overall theme is quick rendering), it brings more into question whether or not you could actually render a little-detailed part of the image.

Not that I'm saying you can or cant, but it's just kind of a weaker aspect of the pieces.

Some of your foreshortening and proportions need a little bit of work. And watch the perspective on accessories. For example, in this image the sword on his back is very flat:
    Hook_Concept.jpg

I'm not really going to point out specific examples of all of these points, though. For the most part, I'm trying to see consistent errors through the majority of what you posted.

That said, overall these are very strong. You have a good (if exaggerated)sense of color, shape, depth, and posing. You're also clearly very familiar with the medium, and you use it well. Usually I'm not fond of excess usage of custom brushes, but you pull it off pretty well (- even if it should be reigned in a little bit). Keep working at it. :)

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited September 2009
    Radar, you got me dead to rights. I totally phoned in the swords on his back. For that you have my apology.

And the texture thing.... I dunno-- sometimes even I think I've overdone it, but just as many people like it (besides me, I swear) as there are who don't...

Lalilulelo on
    edited September 2009
    Listen, can I just tell you guys something?

I missed ya'll.

Lalilulelo on
  • pittenspittens Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The the way the mech's legs slant to the side in the first one seems out of place, with the way his torso is facing. The textures you used to paint him with are meeean, though.

The monster-huge-dragon also made me happy.

pittens on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I commented this on your blogger but this on is one of your best, IMO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Lalilulelo/Sanjuro-1.jpg

I think you did a great job explaining the forms, and still got some cool textures/color, but it wasn't overdone, and it doesn't kill the form (like it often can).

Also, i though the hook picture looked REALLY badass in the black line drawing you had, but some of that badassery got lost in the painting.

Sublimus on
    edited September 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    I think I commented this on your blogger but this on is one of your best, IMO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Lalilulelo/Sanjuro-1.jpg

I think you did a great job explaining the forms, and still got some cool textures/color, but it wasn't overdone, and it doesn't kill the form (like it often can).

Also, i though the hook picture looked REALLY badass in the black line drawing you had, but some of that badassery got lost in the painting.

J'agree.

The face in the Joan D'arc one is also lovely, but the rest of the piece could use some tightening.

Charis on
    edited October 2009
    WIP... 'Minotaur'
    Minotaur.jpg

Lalilulelo on
  • yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pretty kick ass stuff, just inconsistent in the drawing category. You can really tell when you've used ref for faces and when you havent. As for the texture debate, I think your on the right track to finding a good balance. I specifically like the use of texture in Sanjuro-1, thats just an all around good pic (my favorite). I also really really like Eidi, great job there. Squaresoft really rubbed off on ya, but good stuff

yogurt on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i agree with the texture stuff, but man, eidi just exudes character and charm.

beavotron on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TGB_Techie-1.jpg
    sk_rocket_large.jpg

PROX on
    edited October 2009
    In lal's defense, I don't think he drew that one (maybe should have mentioned that), and he just colored it.

The similarities are there, but not overwhelming IMO.

Sublimus on
    edited October 2009
    The only similarities I see are rockets and female.

Mustang on
    edited October 2009
    prox man, i don't see it
    sort of similar poses, that's it, but i feel lal's feels much less awkward.

beavotron on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was more concerned that I was becoming generic.

PROX on
    edited October 2009
    *checks thread..*
    Ok...what just happened? Was I just insulted or....?

Lalilulelo on
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure, I don't think so.

Mustang on
    edited October 2009
    1196221270068.gif

Lalilulelo on
  • yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i like these animated gif responses lemme get some

yogurt on
    edited October 2009
    PROX wrote: »
    I was more concerned that I was becoming generic.

what?
    i'm really confused now.

beavotron on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    *checks thread..*
    Ok...what just happened? Was I just insulted or....?

I think prox was being odd.

That is a frickin awesome piece, though. Probably my favourite out of everything you've done ever. Base drawing looks nice, face is fantastic, colour scheme is good and you haven't overused that cyan highlighting trick.

tynic on
    edited October 2009
    The Base drawing is my friend Chris Johnson's work, fyi. We were collaborating on conceptart.org.

Lalilulelo on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What is this madness... who let him in here?

Kendeathwalker on
    edited October 2009
    Let Who in?

Lalilulelo on
    edited October 2009
    You! Everyone knows you cant let IRL blend with the webernets.

Sublimus on
    edited October 2009
    Really? Well then I'm screwed.

Charis on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, you're like super fucked.

Sublimus on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm fucked beyond belief then

like, I am going to randomly combust into a raging inferno and die one day from the amount of internet to real life-ness that is happening

Loomdun on
    splat