As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gas Masks for Halloween

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My roommate and I, as well as a few others (potentially), are basically sold on going as the gas mask zombies from Doctor Who for Halloween.
15.jpg

14.jpg

a01.jpg

Getting the clothing is not a problem, but I'd like to get the masks as close as possible. Does anyone know what variety of mask this is based on? Googling has turned up nothing for me.

Caveat: I have a HUGE head (my hat size is somewhere around a 7.75/8), so it has to be extra-adjustable.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Those masks are authentic British-issue WW2-era gas masks

Reservoir Angel on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know you'll want it to look extra awesome, but be very careful in latexing/spirit gluing it to your face, as in, don't.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bet you could probably find them on Ebay. Or maybe a local army surplus store.

And, gas masks are the worst kind of uncomfortable, especially if you have a big head.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mostly likely they're replica WWII masks, most Army/Navy surplus stores have a few but you should be able to find them online for less $$

Usagi on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know you'll want it to look extra awesome, but be very careful in latexing/spirit gluing it to your face, as in, don't.

Yeah, I'm not planning on going for the "sealed to the face" part.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, if you do manage to get them, the "are you mummy?" voice takes ages to perfect the exact right level of creepiness. you are going to do the saying, right?

Reservoir Angel on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Apparently it's the "British Civilian Duty Respirator" or the "Civil Defense Special Service Respirator". I'm hoping that I can find one for less than the $170 here...

Edit: Apparently they're "very rare", if this site is to be believed. Crap. I suppose I'll start looking for a similar, cheaper model.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this is pretty close if you don't mind modifying it:

http://www.maxarmory.com/index.php?p=product&id=2292&parent=26

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

That's the closest you're gonna get on the cheap - It's a Russian GP-5, and they are all over ebay/army surplus stores for about £10/$15. Would be fairly easy to convert it to something that looks a lot like the Civilian Duty Respirator - just cut off the back of the head, add some straps, remove the filter, and spray it black if you get a white/grey one.

Spam on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember seeing the doctor who confidential (a making of documentary) episode for this. Apparently they tried to get hold of some WW2 gasmasks for this but couldn't so they ended up just making their own custom built ones. They are based off WW2 gasmasks but aren't historically accurate copies, they took some artistic licence for spookiness value.

So my advice is to study the pictures and try to make your own.

Casual on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spam wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

That's the closest you're gonna get on the cheap - It's a Russian GP-5, and they are all over ebay/army surplus stores for about £10/$15. Would be fairly easy to convert it to something that looks a lot like the Civilian Duty Respirator - just cut off the back of the head, add some straps, remove the filter, and spray it black if you get a white/grey one.

Vinyl dye, spray paint will flake off.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!