As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hulu on my TV?

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know, I know. Go get PlayOn. Except that's a 30 dollar piece of software for something that shouldn't cost that much! I've got a PS3, and a 360. I'm also on a college network, meaning tihngs that require too many fancy network dealings aren't going to work. Any alternatives?

SniperGuy on

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Use a TV instead of a computer monitor?

I think anything else would require hardware purchase, which is gonna be more money than the 30 bucks you don't wanna spend for playon.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I run a VGA cable between my laptop and TV when I want to do this. With my old desktop PC, I ran a composite video cable out of the computer's video card and into the TV. Is there any way you can do anything like this?

Saddler on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What kind of TV do you have? Can't really answer without that info.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I connect my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable. Works fine for the most part, but has a tendency to lose signal if I leave it in full screen mode for too long. Is that an option for you?

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Run a TVersity server on your PC and connect to it using your PS3. Host Hulu via TVersity's library settings.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Run a TVersity server on your PC and connect to it using your PS3. Host Hulu via TVersity's library settings.

This is what I came here to say. I've been doing this and it works pretty decent.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, TVersity is your cheapest option assuming you are able to get your PS3 (or Xbox) and PC to see each other on your campus network

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, TVersity is your cheapest option assuming you are able to get your PS3 (or Xbox) and PC to see each other on your campus network

if he can't get this to work, PlayOn may not work either

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    if he can't then really his only option is hooking a PC directly to the TV.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually am using TVersity already to stream my movie collection to my xbox/ps3. How do I go about getting hulu on there? I was under the impression that it didn't work on TVersity. also, I have a Dynex 32" LCD, and neither my netbook nor PC have HDMI ports.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I actually am using TVersity already to stream my movie collection to my xbox/ps3. How do I go about getting hulu on there? I was under the impression that it didn't work on TVersity. also, I have a Dynex 32" LCD, and neither my netbook nor PC have HDMI ports.

Do they have DVI? You can get a DVI-HDMI adapter pretty cheap.

Daenris on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes, but i'm using both of the DVI ports on my desktop, and the netbook sucks at hulu streaming. (Very choppy and such). Unplugging and replugging DVI cables on the fly isn't something I want to do. As soon as I get home though I shall try TVersity's hulu streamin'.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DVI Splitter cable?

Spam on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hulu streaming through TVersity :

-Get TVersity pro (there is a license, but you can use the program as long as you want without buying a license)
    -Get an account on hulu (if you don't have one), add videos you want to watch to your queue
    -When installing TVersity pro, you can input your hulu username -- then it'll use your queue to populate the list of videos you can watch on the device you are streaming to

Dehumanized on