As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop Layers

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to take one PSP layer into another project but can't figure out how the hell to do that. Hezelp.

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    drag and drop works

NotYou on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm using CS4 and a mac.

All of my drag and drop attempts have failed me so far

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Either select the layer and drag and drop it with the move tool from one image to the other, or right click the layer in the layer window, select "Duplicate layer" and then select the other document under the "destination" field.

EDIT: Mac, huh.

"Layer" menu option, Duplicate Layer.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, you just need to choose the destination document when duplicating the layer

narv107 on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    You can drag and drop in Photoshop CS on the mac, I can't believe they would've removed the functionality for CS4.

From what I recall, you needed to drag the layer from the layers palette onto the canvas of the new document.

Alternatively, I assume you can't just copy and paste? Are there layer styles or something that you're trying to transfer?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Make sure that both documents are using the same color mode. Image-mode-...rgb or whatever. I've been working on a photoshop document before, loaded a .gif in another window and tried to drag it over before realizing I couldn't because the modes were different. No warning about it either.

Also, if dragging and dropping make sure you have the move tool (V) selected and there is nothing odd about your layer, like it is locked.

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mctittles wrote: »
    Make sure that both documents are using the same color mode. Image-mode-...rgb or whatever. I've been working on a photoshop document before, loaded a .gif in another window and tried to drag it over before realizing I couldn't because the modes were different. No warning about it either.

Also, if dragging and dropping make sure you have the move tool (V) selected and there is nothing odd about your layer, like it is locked.

Don't stress too much about the color modes or color profiles, Photoshop will always warn you. The reason why you didn't get a warning is because a .gif is not really a color mode, it's a format. It uses indexed colors which are limited to 256 shades, you can't really drag and drop into other formats.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mctittles wrote: »

Don't stress too much about the color modes or color profiles, Photoshop will always warn you. The reason why you didn't get a warning is because a .gif is not really a color mode, it's a format. It uses indexed colors which are limited to 256 shades, you can't really drag and drop into other formats.

Ahh ok. Sorry not really schooled in Photoshop so thanks for the correction. What he said...make sure it's not indexed colors :).

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.