As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Boy and his Blob: Now with 100% more hugs!

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Kirby Super Star Ultra and The Legend of Starfy are both missing. :x

Isn't Super Star Ultra a rehash of the Super NES game, though?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Isn't Super Star Ultra a rehash of the Super NES game, though?

#1 - Yes, but with a bunch of new stuff added for good measure.

#2 - It doesn't matter, it's still awesome and fun.

#3 - Kneel before Kirby! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty damn optimistic for this one.

Xagarath on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's the retail price on this? My wallet is already strained and that's just from bills. Have SO MANY games that I want to get. Not enough time or money. :(
    When in this scenario, I try to consider the developer. Sure, you may want some of the fancy, big name sequels. However, the game is going to sell great anyway, the developer/publisher in question wont miss your sale if you wait.

Your sale is dramatically more important to a small group and project like this. 2D sprite based games have been teetering on the verge of death for years, moreso with home console retail releases.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's the retail price on this? My wallet is already strained and that's just from bills. Have SO MANY games that I want to get. Not enough time or money. :(
    When in this scenario, I try to consider the developer. Sure, you may want some of the fancy, big name sequels. However, the game is going to sell great anyway, the developer/publisher in question wont miss your sale if you wait.

Your sale is dramatically more important to a small group and project like this. 2D sprite based games have been teetering on the verge of death for years, moreso with home console retail releases.

Precisely the reason I bought Muramasa at launch. I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet (other than at PAX), but it's the sort of game I know I'll enjoy, which doesn't see many releases, and which I want to support. Sure, it'll drop in price rapidly due to its niche nature, but I want more of them, so I'm going to vote with my wallet.

Jragghen on
    edited September 2009

This.

We need to keep this wonderful genre alive. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009

I was actually talking about Canvas Curse and Squeak Squad, which look gorgeous.

ETA: though Starfy looks very pretty as well, especially the backgrounds.

Opium on
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm afraid of how this will do in sales. I think they could've used better box art.
    Zxerol wrote: »
    aboyandhisblob200905290.jpg

dawwwwwwwww....

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

edited September 2009
    Opium wrote: »

I was actually talking about Canvas Curse and Squeak Squad, which look gorgeous.

Truth be told, I have never played canvas curse, but I really liked Squeak Squad.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »
    I'm afraid of how this will do in sales. I think they could've used better box art.
    The box art seems fine to me. I mean Boom Blox did pretty well sales wise, and it features some of the worst box art iv'e seen on a non blatant shovelware game.

Evidence:
    5120wA4BGBL._SS400_.jpg
    The sequels box art is actually substantially worse if you can believe it.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Any good customs? That game doesn't really have a story. I can't picture anything particular for it's box art. Other than bloxs and explosions...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited September 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    Boom Blox did pretty well sales wise
    No it didn't.
    I thought it preformed poorly at first and then obtained a slow but steady sales stream that helped it get solid numbers eventually, i want to say it sold something like 600-700K but i guess it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

Edit: Also Cantido it's the colour scheme and facial expressions that make me hate the box art, the sequel's i would have been fine with, but then they had to put the completely unnecessary ugly yellow spine.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited September 2009
    Boom Blox did pretty well sales wise
    No it didn't.
    I thought it preformed poorly at first and then obtained a slow but steady sales stream that helped it get solid numbers eventually, i want to say it sold something like 600-700K but i guess it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.
    No you were right actually, I just looked it up. Almost a million. Quite impressive. For some reason I thought it sold only like 10k.

Opium on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

This.

We need to keep this wonderful genre alive. :(

I heartily agree with both of you. I'm not terribly keen on taking any of my other planned titles off my list, so this game just killed a trip to the movies for me :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jellybean-shaped planet FTW!

4rch3nemy on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    boy-and-his-blob-hug_288x288.jpg

Yeah, I'm really just waiting for someone to make a custom cover using just that.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The TV ad could just be that picture for 45 seconds, with no sound or anything, and I would still buy it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    You know, it really looks like the boy is gnawing on the blob's head in that picture.

Aroduc on
    edited September 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    You know, it really looks like the boy is gnawing on the blob's head in that picture.
    I'm almost positive someone made a gif of the boy gnawing on blob and posted it in a thread awhile back, but i can't seem to find it.

Blue map on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm almost positive someone made a gif of the boy gnawing on blob and posted it in a thread awhile back, but i can't seem to find it.

That would be me!

abouyandhisomnom.gif

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Dammit.

I've seen it. Now I can't unsee it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've seen it, and the cute wins.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited September 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I've seen it, and the cute wins.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    It tastes like a peanut!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Truth be told, I have never played canvas curse, but I really liked Squeak Squad.

Brainiac, if we've made any kind of connection at all on these boards, trust me, go buy Canvas Curse ASAP. It still wins my award for 'Best DS game that could only be done on DS'. It's super awesome. Super.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game looks goddamn fantastic. The fact that it uses no Wii-specific controls makes me hopeful that it may come to other platforms one day, but if it doesn't, at least it'll be a game that I absolutely won't mind playing on the Wii.

UnbreakableVow on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also I don't think the cover art is that bad, I find it rather charming.

UnbreakableVow on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game looks goddamn fantastic. The fact that it uses no Wii-specific controls makes me hopeful that it may come to other platforms one day, but if it doesn't, at least it'll be a game that I absolutely won't mind playing on the Wii.

Actually the fact it uses no "Wii-specific" controls is why I want it to begin with :P

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited September 2009

Brainiac, if we've made any kind of connection at all on these boards, trust me, go buy Canvas Curse ASAP. It still wins my award for 'Best DS game that could only be done on DS'. It's super awesome. Super.

I'll try to find a copy. I looked it up and the premise sounds pretty fun. I'll see if I can scour E-bay for a copy of it tonight. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • IvandashsmithIvandashsmith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh it had to be done. can't wait for blob.

immablobfinish.th.jpg

Ivandashsmith on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

immablobfinish.th.jpg

There, there, Blob. Don't let the mean man's words hurt you.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited October 2009
    Also I don't think the cover art is that bad, I find it rather charming.

It's fine, it's just now as dawsome as the other picture. Kinda like how the US cover of Ico is okay... until you see the JPN cover. See also: Resident Evil 4.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

immablobfinish.th.jpg

There, there, Blob. Don't let the mean man's words hurt you.

:^:

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited October 2009
    There is a new version of the cover on the internet. I was trying to get it on wikipedia but don't know how. Maybe someone here can take the reigns.

http://cache-foo-03.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/9/2009/09/500x_Blob_cover_final_E.jpg

500x_Blob_cover_final_E.jpg

Ivandashsmith on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thats the same one as the OP

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really hope there is a remix of the original tune somewhere in the game.

Krathoon on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wren wrote: »

Look closely at the blob

He is no longer retarded

Krathoon wrote: »
    I really hope there is a remix of the original tune somewhere in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBHA0qPKnvA

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yesssss..

Krathoon on
    edited October 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    It's not drastically different, but it is different.

Ivandashsmith on
    edited October 2009

I really hope you don't have to keep stopping for the blob to catch up like that.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png