As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume since everyone else is...

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Here is my resume:

resized:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6957/anonresume.jpg

Not that I really have much time to edit it, since I'm in the midst of applying to like 30 jobs (yay I have some interviews) but I figured it wouldnt hurt if you ripped it apart

1) It is way too wordy I assume
2) I should quantify things but I do not know how

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it looks pretty good. Only criticism I have is that you should say what the results are of what you did. Like, "Did X, resulting in $Y savings/Y time saved/Y more files processed than last year." Sometimes this is kind of impossible, but for the projects where you can it will really help. Everyone wants to know the bottom line. Like that project with the accessible lockers: was that required by law, or to achieve some sort of certification? If so, say that it resulted in the school being in compliance with the applicable law, or resulted in gaining certification as whatever. At the end of the day its results that matter, and you should write all of your bullets with that in mind.

Overall, it seems like a really good resume, especially considering you're just graduating from college. It honestly doesn't seem like you are padding it at all which is rare for a recent grad.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The image is either super tiny or fucking massive, so I'm having a hard time reading it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Whoops. Will try to resize in a bit. Hrmmm..

K did it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How did you increase sales, how did you improve the website, how were you consulting, was there an increase in students scores you can take credit for, I don't know what HVS is, was the locker design chosen?
    I would remove "with a team of five students" because it would otherwise sound like a more impressive project that you somehow got attached to. Since you don't say "our design was chosen" but you do say "presented a 30 page report" it makes me think your design wasn't chosen. If you didn't say "presented a 30 page report" I would assume your team was hired and your project was chosen. Right now it sounds more like a design competition.
    Are you fluent in Spanish?
    I'd think about removing the interests.

It's a boring layout, but you've done some interesting work. You seem to have done quite a bit of international work too which might be a good thing to stress in some sort of personal statement.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Good points all. I'm not fluent in Spanish, but speak it well enough that I was able to converse with the people we were working with in Guatemala (who spoke 0 English) and I'm also taking an advanced spanish class right now.

I wasn't sure if team of five students would emphasize teamwork skills, which is why I put it there, but your point is not unreasonable.
    HVS = Henry Viscardi School, which was in the point above. Does the way I put it make that unclear?
    It was essentially a design class, and we were assigned a project to work on this with that school, because they had a need. There were no other people working on that project, just us. It was essentially engineering school mandated community service, but I felt it worthy to put on the resume since there was a lot involved. EDIT: There might be some way to state how the school was dissatisfied with the work of the 3 semesters previous, but our team they liked and was the end to the project.

Right, how did we increase sales, good point, mostly we went along with them when they were selling things and helped them out, and came up with strategies on how to better get people aware and willing to buy things, and whatnot. Like how to market it and things of that nature. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can quantify by how much we increased sales.

Hmmm

Good points though, will keep them in mind as I make changes

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo