As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Litany wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »
    Unless they've changed their password retrieval system, you can go back to an old email and use the same number as the last time you forgot your password (unless you never have before).

First time occurrence, and the answer to "My Favourite Team" isn't my favourite team. I've been at this for a good five hours...

Someone hacked my Steam account and changed all of the details, and I couldn't get my password back. I don't think I ever even tried getting it reset, though. I just bought a new account.

I think he should try to get it back, though.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unless they've changed their password retrieval system, you can go back to an old email and use the same number as the last time you forgot your password (unless you never have before).

First time occurrence, and the answer to "My Favourite Team" isn't my favourite team. I've been at this for a good five hours...

Someone hacked my Steam account and changed all of the details, and I couldn't get my password back. I don't think I ever even tried getting it reset, though. I just bought a new account.

I think he should try to get it back, though.

I can prove all my purchases if need be. I've got my digital receipts for most of my purchases and can take photos of my retail keys. That shouldn't be an issue. I've just gotta wait on a response.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, they emailed you receipts for your purchases, that should suffice as proof.

Also, get a better password man.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Suds wrote: »

Yeah, they emailed you receipts for your purchases, that should suffice as proof.

Also, get a better password man.

Oh, I use a different password for every website I visit, now. And I don't think, at the time, I had even considered that Valve might have a account recovery service. Silly, I know.

Centipeed on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How do you set up security questions for Steam account recovery? I don't know if I've ever done that.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/2891/
    Software Studio President Flown to Australia By Gaming Community

October 1, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced its studio co-founder and president, Gabe Newell, will be visiting Australia next week to meet local game designer Joe W-A, who raised over $3000 for Newell's visit through the gaming community.

The fundraising began after Joe heard that Newell had recently flown the leaders of a gaming community group boycotting Valve's upcoming Left 4 Dead 2 to Valve's Seattle, WA headquarters. Joe emailed to ask if Newell would fly him to Seattle so Joe could show him his "mod" (a PC gaming term for modifying an existing game into something new).

Newell playfully replied that he wouldn't fly Joe to Seattle because he was "boycotting" Joe's mod. The Australian-based game designer appealed to the game community for $3,000-the funds necessary to fly Newell halfway around the world-and raised the money in less than 48 hours.

"The power of the gaming community and their ability to rally around a cause - be it serious or fun in nature - is amazing," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "In 2003, the community helped the FBI and European law enforcement officials find the people who stole the Half-Life 2 source code. This year, the community is putting me on a plane to the other side of the world to meet Joe W-A and see his MOD. It's going to be a fun trip."

Newell and Joe will meet in Australia next week. Reports of the trip will be posted on L4D.com's blog section by Valve employee Erik Johnson, who will be traveling with Newell down under.

Made Steam news. Nice.

freakish light on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pretty funny.
    Hopefully it's worth the trip.

Bolthorn on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hot steamy...
    Kangaroo steaks.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't played Audiosurf in a long time, but an update that seems pretty big has just been released for it.
    A new Audiosurf website has been launched and it's kinda neat.

Peewi on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ooh, I see that they did some rebalancing so that the mono modes yield more points. It's the only mode I'm really into with Audiosurf, and it was depressing watching all my scores drop when people realized Eraser mode got more points.

edit: Eraser still seems to allow people to get more points, but at least I don't feel like I'm so far behind. Maybe.

The whole new website and in-game browser stuff is great!

SteevL on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't play Audiosurf much anymore, but it's still some of the best $10 I've spent in the last year.

Dehumanized on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Audiosurf looks like fun, but I don't really listen to music all that much, and I doubt it would work well with a 2 hour TWiT podcast.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They have an Audiosurf radio thing that basically just has songs of the week to compete on, if you're only interested in the gameplay and leaderboards.

Dehumanized on
    edited October 2009
    I'll try the demo, and see if it's for me.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I haven't played Audiosurf in a long time, but an update that seems pretty big has just been released for it.
    A new Audiosurf website has been launched and it's kinda neat.

I can't view the steampowered pages from work and I can't find any update news on the Audiosurf website. Can anyone perhaps copy and paste them here?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Updates to Audiosurf have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Community Stats Website:

* Community Stats website launched (www.audio-surf.com)
    * Community Stats website integrated into the game with an embedded browser
    * See how many times a friend has tried to beat your score (and failed)
    * See your own dethroned alerts crossed off after you earn revenge
    * See what thrones friends and rivals are proud of
    * Try for a Skillrating that earns a Top Ride of the Day
    * Earn all achievements multiple times (how many Ninjutsus can you get?)

Extensive Ride Statistics:

* Every ride on the stats site shows: number of overfills, number of greys hit, percent of total score from white blocks, best match points, longest chain, number of erases, paints used, and max consecutive blocks hit.

Character Balance:

* Eraser Pro: can now undo erases with right click (grid graphic shows where undone blocks will land), 8 puzzle rows, bonus for matches that clear the grid.
    * Mono Pro: unlimited jumping, more points per block.
    * Vegas: can shuffle with left click, generates powerups faster, multiplier powerup goes up to x7 now.
    * Pusher Pro: 8 puzzle rows, bonus for matches that clear the grid.
    * Double Vision Pro: 7 puzzle rows, shared match bonus increased to 175%.
    * Storm now applies 8 blocks to Double Vision characters
    * Ninja Mono: more points per block.
    * Eraser Elite: can now undo erases with right click (grid graphic shows where undone blocks will land), bonus for matches that clear the grid, slightly increased chain timer.
    * Double Vision Elite: shared match bonus increased to 240%
    * Double Vision Pro: shared match bonus increased to 150%

Fixes and tweaks:

* Autopilot now transitions smoothly with mouse control when toggled on and off.
    * Fixed autopilot ship lagging behind camera
    * Fixed camera turning too sharply with Minimal graphics
    * Dethroned emails point to the new site and offer a link to launch the game and get revenge
    * Fixed F10 exploit

I've played around with it a bit. In Ninja Mono it says you get more points per block, but this isn't really correct. You get more points per combo. I imagine it will be the same for others. It's not a really big bonus, but the songs I played were slow songs (with very little big matches) perhaps for fast songs with lots of giant matches it will make more of a difference. I also get the idea that the visual effect for passing by gray blocks was changed. It's now kind of like a spinning star instead of a dull lens flare. It's more distracting, but it also looks better.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The whole....the whole source of Gabe coming to my town is ridiculous. Fucking asinine. (boycotters)

BUT it then sprouted this glorious and almost satirical set of events.

I need to find out when he comes here and take his photo.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoa...another weekend deal? Oddworld games 66% off, too bad I already have those on GOG.

Catshade on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought we already had a weekend deal of those...

Xtarath on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We did, I got them.

Edit: Did I remember correctly that there was a (slim) chance that there would be a PC port of Strangers Wrath at some point, perhaps depending on sales of the first two oddworld games on steam et al.

LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    We did, I got them.

Edit: Did I remember correctly that there was a (slim) chance that there would be a PC port of Strangers Wrath at some point, perhaps depending on sales of the first two oddworld games on steam et al.

That's basically what they said, if the Oddworld re-releases sold well enough they might consider doing a port of SW. I doubt there was enough interest really.

subedii on
    edited October 2009
    Tried Ausiosurf. It's ok, but I don't think it's for me.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    Tried Ausiosurf. It's ok, but I don't think it's for me.

I'm with you on that. It didn't really "click".

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't like Audiosurf when I first played it. Then I discovered the mono modes which are more relaxing and simple.

But yeah, if you don't have a good collection of music, or just aren't into music in general, you probably won't enjoy it,

SteevL on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not super in to music, but there are some songs I really like and it's fun to surf those.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're dead inside if you're not into music in general. Everyone has a music taste. Everyone. :P

urahonky on
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I seem to be the resident Audiosurf-Addict, I'm gonna have to hop in there and see if they changed things for the better.
    Like most of you, I find the only fun mode is the Mono Mode, so I'm kinda hoping that the changes are worth it.
    Be back with some impressions.

WeX Majors on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    You're dead inside if you're not into music in general. Everyone has a music taste. Everyone. :P

That doesn't necessarily translate into buying games/programs based on it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

That doesn't necessarily translate into buying games/programs based on it.

I don't ever sit down to listen to music as an activity, it's only for background noise when I'm driving in my car or taking a shower. Sure I have certain (bad) tastes in music, it's just not a very big aspect of my life.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, so far the increase in points for Mono certainly helped. I had a high score of 60,000 for Michelle Branch - Breathe before the update, and running through it again netted me another 40k making me the highest Mono score for Pro. But that was right underneath 5 high scores for Eraser Mode.

What I'm really jazzed about is the Webpage thing. It's a much better method of dealing with friends and what they've played, what they beat you on, etc. etc.
    The only problem I seem to be having is that it still doesn't auto-pull from my Steam list. It seems that it makes everyone on your Steam List who has the game a "Follower" and then, much like Facebook or MySpace, you've got to promote them to "Friend" manually.
    Except it only seems to have a maximum Friend limit of 24. Which is weird and makes no sense.
    Anyone else dicked around with it and gotten more?

WeX Majors on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Starship trooper skin breathed new life into CS:S sci fi but keeps bugging out. The Combine assassin looks great but keeps bugging out. Anyone have a single model mod they like that makes run 5 a little more interesting?
    no nude mods, family computer

RoyceSraphim on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Starship trooper skin breathed new life into CS:S sci fi but keeps bugging out. The Combine assassin looks great but keeps bugging out. Anyone have a single model mod they like that makes run 5 a little more interesting?

Play the mod with the sounds replaced by that dude's voice.

Centipeed on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why is it that every week Impulse comes out with a the Impulsive Buys sale and every week I have never heard of any of their games?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Have you tried SMOD or SMOD Tactical?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Have you tried SMOD or SMOD Tactical?

css scifi is smod, but for some reason, the character in the new version don't follow me and just run forward, Alyx goes down first, Barney next, and the vortigant dies in the rear. It is hecka funny to see them try to kill a strider with bullets.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited October 2009
    Anyone know how to get a complete list of the ids for each game on steam?

Also when does steam typically update their prices?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited October 2009

Yeah.

Hi.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone invite me to the main PA group?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Suds wrote: »

Yeah.

Hi.

I figured as much. How did you pull that list initially Suds, screen scraping or do you hook into something?

I was thinking of building a steam historical prices database. I've already got part of the screen scraper done I just need to get the database hosted somewhere.

Probably is the data would be very boring until you had about a years worth of prices in there.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited October 2009
    I'd have to look at my code again, but essentially I was getting all the IDs from one of the valve employee's game list, then going to each of those pages and grabbing the current price of that game.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.