As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Purchasing a whip

JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my wife and I have recently jointly discovered that whipping can result in good times for all. However, we've so far been making do with available household supplies and are thinking about purchasing something that was made for the purpose. We don't want to purchase something less than ideal because well-made ones seem to be fairly pricy.

So, for those of you with any knowledge of the subject, where would you go to buy one? I've been browsing around on JT's Stockroom, but I need more options. Enlighten me.
Alts are for pussies

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
JHunz on

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Any store that sells horse...stuff will have a good assortment of whips.

As for bondage/fetish stores, I've ordered stuff from Mr. S leathers and their sister site madame S and have been satisfied. Both sites have a small variety of whips and floggers.

edit: Personally I'd check the horse place first seeing as how it'd be cheaper.

Also there were a couple in portland that wouldn't sell to you upon finding out why you were buying it so you might want to keep that part to yourself.

Metalbourne on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do you want a riding crop
    videos

a bull whip
    whip-yard-croc.jpg

or a flogger, also called a cat o nine tails
    flogger0109a.jpg

Some are easier to make than others. A nice spanking paddle is also dumb easy to make.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited September 2009
    Kink for Couples 101
    Lets look at an image of the human musculature system form behind
    2back%20muscle.jpg
    If you are whipping with any sort of impact (as opposed to tickling), stay below the neck (part of the trapezius) and also avoid the dorsi. Whipping when done wrong across your nice soft kidney area can do some very bad kidney damage (pissing blood kind of damage). The rectangular space that's left (kind of in between the shoulders) is your safe zone to play in.
    The ass and legs are petty safe for whipping, but genitals (especially for men) can get accidentally nicked. That... that would hurt. I am not familiar with front whipping but I imagine the same rules apply. Granted you have a higher risk with your face showing, but remember to also avoid the smooshy organs.
    If you are using a flogger, the best way to whip is by doing a figure 8 motion with your wrist. When you get the whip under control you will get much better results in accuracy and impact. Remember, accuracy is important for safety, so practice in non-sexual situations.

Have a safe word that will not come up during sex. Cancer would be a great safe word if it didn't always kill the mood. Stick with something like broccoli. Also have a physical signal. A common approach to whipping is to have a person sitting backwards in a chair. They drop their head forward for protection, but if they lift their head it is a clear and obvious sign to the whipper (who is paying attention and isn't going nuts) to stop and see whats up. If you are laying down on a bed, make sur you can still make the signal.

Quick notes on dripping candle wax if you want to get into it. White wax burns the hottest, stay away from it. Dark reds burn nicely. Some candles lie and while the outside is a nice color, its mostly white wax on the inside. To test it, shove a key into the bottom of the candle (so that it doesn't ruin it) and pull it out. It will pull out white wax if it exists. By getting a candle in a glass container its going to let the wax pool a bit more than if it were just a pillar, this is good for two reasons; pooling wax will cool a bit and you'll also have more to pour. You're going to have to experiment when pouring depending on the candle and the person. The higher you hold the candle when you drop the wax, the longer it has time to cool before hitting the person skin. The closer you go, the hotter it is.

If I missed anything, just ask.

Improvolone on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty much any website selling "toys" will have these.
    They're also aware enough to be fairly discreet when the box arrives.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't personally like buying online, I prefer being able to go to a store and see the items, feel the material, etc. You may want to check out your local adult stores... our 'female-friendly' one here has some awesome bondage stuff and a pretty decent selection of whips/floggers/etc. too - and this one has the added bonuses of not feeling sketchy and having knowledgeable staff

ihmmy on
    edited September 2009
    ihmmy wrote: »
    I don't personally like buying online, I prefer being able to go to a store and see the items, feel the material, etc. You may want to check out your local adult stores... our 'female-friendly' one here has some awesome bondage stuff and a pretty decent selection of whips/floggers/etc. too - and this one has the added bonuses of not feeling sketchy and having knowledgeable staff

Expect to pay an arm and a leg.

Improvolone on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    a bull whip
    whip-yard-croc.jpg

do people seriously use these?

how would you use a bull whip without causing serious lacerations?

MrMonroe on
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    a bull whip
    whip-yard-croc.jpg

Usually not to whip, but to tickle, restrain, and hit (with a rolled up whip, not with an actual crack).

Improvolone on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    a bull whip
    whip-yard-croc.jpg

Crack the whip off to the side for psychological effect.
    Up and down "licks" for the actual whipping part.

You can seriously fuck someone up snapping the whip at them like a slave driver in a chuck heston movie.

Metalbourne on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, physical stores tend to have a significant mark up compared to online. That said, it doesn't hurt to go to one and look at what they have and figure out what material you might like.

Edit: Also, the wife is recommending I tell you our personal favorite *NSFW* sub-shop.com. *NSFW*. She can't vouch for the whips but everything we've gotten from there has been top notch.

Quid on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah, physical stores tend to have a significant mark up compared to online. That said, it doesn't hurt to go to one and look at what they have and figure out what material you might like.

Edit: Also, the wife is recommending I tell you our personal favorite *NSFW* sub-shop.com. *NSFW*. She can't vouch for the whips but everything we've gotten from there has been top notch.

Yeah I'm gonna need a list of those items.

TL DR on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I've found a couple that might work for us...and several things I wasn't aware I was looking for

JHunz on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ....I thought this thread was about buying a car.....

Al_wat on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah I'm gonna need a list of those items.

*Ahem*

I've used this online store before (3-4 times), and I've been happy with the service.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good luck with the whip. I hope your very happy with things.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • MrBlueMrBlue Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    If you haven't had much experience with a whip before, I would highly suggest going with nylon. They throw almost as good as a nice leather whip, and the break in time is much shorter. Plus you don't have to worry about leather conditioning. Also, nylon whips are generally way cheaper than decent leather whips.

I would take a look at http://lokowhips.com and see if you see anything you like. I believe you can even choose what colors you want.

MrBlue on
  • CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kink for Couples 101

Quick notes on dripping candle wax if you want to get into it. White wax burns the hottest, stay away from it. Dark reds burn nicely. Some candles lie and while the outside is a nice color, its mostly white wax on the inside. To test it, shove a key into the bottom of the candle (so that it doesn't ruin it) and pull it out. It will pull out white wax if it exists. By getting a candle in a glass container its going to let the wax pool a bit more than if it were just a pillar, this is good for two reasons; pooling wax will cool a bit and you'll also have more to pour. You're going to have to experiment when pouring depending on the candle and the person. The higher you hold the candle when you drop the wax, the longer it has time to cool before hitting the person skin. The closer you go, the hotter it is.

If I missed anything, just ask.

This part here, about the wax, is the Precise opposite of the truth, every word of it.
    the temperature of the wax is entirely a function of the materials used in the candle. Paraffin being the coolest around 130 degrees. There are some sites that say white is cooler, but I have not found a huge amount of difference myself. Generally the softer the wax is, the cooler it is. Sometimes glass jar candles have an oil in them to make them softer still, and can burn at around 120 degrees.
    Pooling wax will actually concentrate heat, and can cause some serious burns if you are not careful. The best I have found is to get the cheapest unscented candles you can find (unscented because sometimes the scented oils can cause a reaction on skin) in whatever colors you like. "They" say to hold the candle a foot or two above the skin, but fuck that, the point is to make it hurt some, not just tingle, so I end up much closer, light and turn sideways, so there is a continuous drip of wax, or use a taper, drip a bit on their back, and then use the cooling wax to affix the candle to them, making them into a living candelabra... Ahem.

P.S. if you play with wax, do yourself a favor, and put down a dropcloth or old sheet you don't care about. scraping wax out of carpet, or the bed is NOT fun.

:nsfw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_play

Code on
    edited September 2009
    Everything I said is advice from a professional fetish company run by someone I know.
    I'm not going to say "no I'm right you're wrong!", but I do recognise that the company is pretty poorly run. Since safety is first it should behove anyone getting into this to read and experiment. That said, I've only been burned from wax coming off a candle with this one weird candle. It just burned hot.

And yes, wax clean up can be a whore. Plan ahead.

Improvolone on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    where do you live? i can recommend good places in person to help you if you're in a major metro area.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JHunz wrote: »
    So, my wife and I have recently jointly discovered that whipping can result in good times for all.

Where did you learn to whip?

I strongly suggest either taking a class, getting some in-person tips from a reputable dom, or reading one of the popular books on the subject. (SM 101 by Jay Wiseman, Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns, and The New Topping Book and The New Bottoming Book by Dossie Easton et. al. are all very good picks.)

There's a lot of talk about injury and danger and such and yes there is the risk of serious injury with any sort of pain play, but that's not the only reason for such resources. Even if you're being very gentle, even if you have strong control of your implement, even if you have a physician's knowledge of anatomy, getting other perspectives on the matter from seasoned people can vastly enrich your (and your partner's) experience.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    JHunz wrote: »
    So, my wife and I have recently jointly discovered that whipping can result in good times for all.

Where did you learn to whip?

I strongly suggest either taking a class, getting some in-person tips from a reputable dom, or reading one of the popular books on the subject. (SM 101 by Jay Wiseman, Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns, and The New Topping Book and The New Bottoming Book by Dossie Easton et. al. are all very good picks.)

There's a lot of talk about injury and danger and such and yes there is the risk of serious injury with any sort of pain play, but that's not the only reason for such resources. Even if you're being very gentle, even if you have strong control of your implement, even if you have a physician's knowledge of anatomy, getting other perspectives on the matter from seasoned people can vastly enrich your (and your partner's) experience.
    I haven't really learned to whip, per se. The problem with any sort of in-person instruction is that my wife would be embarrassed to the point of death about talking to anyone else about this sort of thing (especially in person). So, I 'd be on my own, and I'm guessing I'd have to get out of the suburbs and down to the city to find anything anyway, which is significant travel time.
    I've heard of most of the books you recommended, I'll probably pick a couple of them up.
    kaliyama wrote: »
    where do you live? i can recommend good places in person to help you if you're in a major metro area.
    Chicago area, northern suburbs.

JHunz on
    edited October 2009
    There is certainly a fetish company in Chicago that probably hosts couples classes. I can't recommend one, but I'm certain you can find one.
    We're really stressing safety for a reason.

Improvolone on
  • CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the mantra of "safe, sane, consensual" is a pretty big one. In general, reading as much as you can, applying your own common sense. and constant communication is a big part of staying safe. Safewords are very important, and if you are going to be gagging someone, or even with heavy play, a drop item is used a lot as well. Have them hold something in their hand, like an empty water bottle, and if they let it go, it is the sign that something is wrong. This is good if they can't speak, and a good way to tell if they have lost conciousness as well.
    Improv: I wasn't trying to attack you personally, I just know how much heat blisters suck on delicate skin. And for the record the candle that burned you was probably either beeswax or a paraffin candle with a high stearine concentration. like the tall thin taper candles that you see in fancy holders.

Code on