As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
jinwk8.jpg

When: March 26th, 27th and 28th, 2010

Where: Hynes Convention Center, 900 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02115

What:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) is an annual gamer festival held in Washington. PAX was created by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic, because they wanted to attend a show that gave equal attention to video gamers, computer gamers, and tabletop gamers. No such show existed, so PAX was born.

Created in 2004, PAX has doubled in size each successive year and has been hailed as a weekend-long celebration of gamer culture. Defining characteristics include game-inspired concerts, panels on game industry topics, exhibitor booths, after-hours parties, tournaments, and freeplay areas.

The first PAX East Coast is scheduled for March 26 to March 28, 2010 at the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts. Reed Exhibitions has been announced as a partner for the logistics of the expo. This event, first announced in August 2008, will be the first Penny Arcade Expo outside Washington.
Theros wrote:
PAX is awesome
ashridah wrote:
PAX is not your personal army
Liger wrote:
unless your name is Robert Khoo
HotSake wrote:
PAX is 50,000 friends you never knew you had.
In 2008 PAX had over 58,000 attendees.
In 2009 ticket sales were capped at 75,000 and sold out prior to the event.
Preliminary numbers for PAX East 2010 in Boston is 30,000

Links: Penny Arcade, PAX Website, PAX topic at Wikipedia

What this forum is: This forum is for the discussion of PAX, finding people to carpool, caravan or ride the train with, finding people to split the cost of a hotel room, and general questions and information about PAX as well as community events and gatherings.

What this thread is: This thread is a place for people to ask questions, and for the PAX experienced to provide answers (and some general PAX wisdom).

Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for the Official PAX East Page FAQ
Here's a community-based FAQ for those of you who don't want to comb through this thread to see if your question has been answered already.
How do I register for PAX?
You can register online at http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/registration.php

It's after February 25, if I order my ticket online, where do I pick it up?
In the Will Call line (location to be disclosed)

How do I get the PAX discount on my hotel room?
All information on hotels offering a PAX discount is available at this link.
All pricing given is per night

What days can you book for at the discounted rate?

Thursday Check-in - Monday Check-Out (note: thursday night and sunday night discount rooms are more limited)

Do they charge my credit card when I reserve my room?
No, they only use your credit card to hold the room unless otherwise indicated. When you check in, they put a hold on the card you present them at that time for the amount of your stay and when you check out they charge that, plus any billable charges (phone calls, pay per view, room service) to your card at that time.

How far away are the hotels from the convention center?
They range from immediately next door to up to two miles. Make sure to pay attention to the distance listed when choosing your hotel.

How many people can stay in one hotel room?
Most hotels allow four, however be aware when you reserve a room with four people per room, they tack on an additional charge. Typically they base this on how many keys you ask for.

X hotel's website says the PAX rate is sold out for date y. What does this mean?
This means that Hotel X will not honor the PAX rate for date y. If you're having trouble with the website, call the hotel.

What time is check in at these hotels?
Most hotels have check in between noon and 3pm. If you're going to be arriving in town later in the evening or at night, be sure to let the hotel know when you make your reservation. If you are arriving early, most hotels will hold your luggage if you want to see the city before check-in time

How much does it cost to park?

(taken from another website, information may be outdated)
Parking Around the Hynes Convention Center

If at all possible, avoid driving into Boston. Traffic is challenging, street parking is difficult to find, and private parking is extremely expensive. If you must drive, here are some suggestions.

Public Parking

Hynes Convention Center: Hynes has no on site parking. The official garage is the Boston Common Garage. The link takes you to the center’s driving directions.

Boston Common Garage
: This is a comparatively affordable garage by Boston standards. The entrance and exit is on Charles Street on the block between the Common and the Public Garden. It is eight blocks from the Hynes. You can also ride a few stops on the Green subway line from Arlington Station to the Copley or Hynes Convention Center stations. The maximum charge for 24 hours is $23.

MBTA Parking: There are parking lots at the end of subway lines that charge low rates of $2-5 per day. This could be a great way of getting into the city, especially if you are only coming for the day. This parking has easy access to regional highways with direct rides on the subways and trolleys to downtown Boston. One example is the parking lot at Riverside Station in Newton, Massachusetts. It is signposted off of Interstate 95 just south of where that interstate crosses Interstate 90. From Riverside, the Green Line trolley “D” runs into Boston stopping at Hynes Convention Center Station, a block away from the center.

Street Parking: There are meter spots on the streets around the Hynes. They are typically limited to two hours and cost $1 per hour.

Private Parking

Prudential Center: The Prudential Center has private parking lots and allows direct access to the Hynes without having to go outside. This can be expensive. Rates start at $5 for half an hour and run up to $36 for 24 hours. Check the mall's website for information about validation for customers of mall stores.

Copley Place: This mall is located a few blocks away from the Hynes. There is an enclosed bridge linking it to the Prudential Center which has direct access to the Hynes. Rates start at $7 for the first hour and run up to $28 for 24 hours. Check the mall's website for information about validation for customers of mall stores.

Pilgrim Parking: The garage is located across the street from the Hynes Convention Center and the Sheraton Hotel on Dalton Street. Rates start $4 for half an hour and run up to $24 for 24 hours.

Can I volunteer to help out at PAX this year?
If they open up enrollment, an announcement will be made with a link to the application.

What should I bring with me to PAX?
CatBoy wrote: »
I better get this in just so everyone is kinda prepared and in the know of what to bring to PAX or any con that may come their way. (I'm sorry for the huge post, but a lot of people don't know what to bring.)
The Top Twenty Items Forgotten by Convention Attendees Checklist

1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.

* A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.

2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)

3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)

4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)

5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel

6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)

7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)

8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)

9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)

10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)

11. Swimsuit (You never know.)

12. Jacket or warm sweater

13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)

14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)

15. Tylenol/Aspirin/etc

16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys

17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)

18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.

19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)

20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)
The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*
the spoiler is for the REALLY well prepared
A List For The Well Prepared

* Small tube of super glue
* 3 straight pins
* 3 safety pins: 1 small and 2 medium
* Hair pins: 3 medium and 3 heavy
* Small sewing kit (small enough to fit into the palm of your hand)
* Safety matches (1 pack)
* Disposable plastic razor
* Small emery board
* Tylenol/Aspirin (travel sized contaiThe exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*ner)
* 6 chewable Vitamin C tablets (at least 500 mg each)
* 2 Vitamin B complex tabs, stress formula
* 1 pack Tums/Rolaids
* 6 bandaids (or a travel sized pack)
* 6 antihistamine tablets
* 1 travel pack of tissues
* Tube of chapstick or other lip balm
* 6 cough drops or throat lozenges
* Smallest size of tiger balm or camphophenique oil
* Travel size tube of spot remover
* Spare car and house keys
* Breath freshener
* 6 moist towelettes (for cleaning hands)
* Small pencil sharpener
* Small pen
* 1 small pack of post-it-notes (the square ones work fine)
* Clear nail polish
* Small amount of masking tape wrapped around a short pencil
* 6 rubber bands
* 3 unlubricated condoms
* Small penknife
* Small tube of neosporin
* 3 garbage bag twist ties
* Mustache scissors (small pair of scissors will work as well)
* Styptic pencil or qwik stop
* Hand lotion (travel size)
* Aloe vera gel (travel size)
* 3 nail polish remover pad
* Tampons or pads if you are the type to bleed occasionally

Where can I get something to eat in Boston?

The best way to answer this question is with this link.

What does BYOC stand for?
Bring Your Own Computer, more information will be forthcoming.

What is the exhibit floor like?
The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies.

Should I buy a Nintendo DS/bring my DS to PAX?
YES

When do I sign up for tournaments?

Tournament registration is day-of. Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

Where do the parties happen?

Hotel Rooms and a few industry sponsored parties at local establishments.

Is there an age limit on the parties?
21+ unless there's no alcohol involved

How do the concerts work?
whypick1 wrote: »
Bracelets are distributed by Enforcers, and having one will make sure you get in first, but I don't recall hearing the theaters filling up to the point where they had to turn people away. If you don't get one, you should still be able to get in, you just won't be able to get in super early.

Also, if you BYOC, you're given a bracelet.

What's the weather like in Boston during PAX East?
March weather in the northeast can be flaky. It will either be a pleasant spring day, a bitter cold remnant of winter or somewhere in between. Bring warm clothes.

I'm flying to PAX, how soon should I book my flight?
As soon as you can. Airline tickets cost more the closer you get to the date of travel.

Will x tournament or event be happening at PAX?
Possibly, keep your eyes to this forum and the PAX East main page for tournament announcements.

What are the hours of PAX?
EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
Friday, March 26th, 2010 - 2pm to 7pm
Saturday, March 27th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm

EVENT HOURS
Friday, March 26th, 2010 - 2pm to 2am
Saturday, March 27th, 2010 - 10am to 2am
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm

BYOC Check-in is Friday morning before PAX opens

How do you get a concert wristband/what is a concert wristband?
The concert wristband allows you into the concerts first. All BYOC attendees and the first x people into PAX on Friday and Saturday will be given a concert wristband. They are not required to get into the concert, but if you don't have one, you won't be able to get in until all of the wristbanded people are inside.

I live outside the United States. How do I fill in my phone number on the registration form? It doesn't fit.
You just have to split it up the way US numbers are split (###-###-####). It's a 10 digit number if I'm not mistaken. If you've got more than 10 digits, I don't know.

I'm above the average age of 26 by a decade or more. Will I be the oldest person there?
No, plenty of the older gaming crowd come out to enjoy PAX as well. You are not alone. PAX is geeks reveling in geekery. Age wasn't much of a concern.

How do we transfer tickets? I bought a registration and BYOC pass, but recently found out I won't be going, and have a buyer through the "buy a ticket sell a ticket" thread, but neither of us have any idea how to get the ticket to be transferred.

BYOC ticket registration is done differently than the 3-day pass. For the 3-day pass you just have to mail it to the guy when they are shipped out and send him your barcode confirmation e-mail.

For BYOC, have the guy buying the ticket make an account on the intel LANfest site, then on your account submit a support ticket to have the ticket and seat transfered to him.

I have moved since buying my PAX passes. How do I change my address information to ensure that my passes get mailed to my current address and not my previous address?
First, you should submit a change of address through the USPS. This will ensure all mail sent to your previous address is sent to your current address. As far as changing your registration, you can do that via the registration site (accessable from http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/registration.php). Just click the question mark, select the last option, and it should guide you through the process of changing the address to whatever you want.

When is the PAX09 DVD coming out?
WE DON'T KNOW!!

When will x be announced?
Soon.

Will there be WiFi accessable at PAX?
Yes, but with the number of people using it, it may be a bit spotty.

Are there going to be a ton of people this year?
There's going to be a ton of people.

Will just one day will be enough PAX?
No. There can never be enough PAX (unless you're an enforcer).

I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?
It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings.

I'm wearing a costume that has plastic weapons that look like real weapons? Will I have any problems with security/police?
Yes. Do yourself a favor and leave anything that resembles a weapon at home.

Do the PAX passes have my name on them?
No.

What, other than the convention center and hotels, is in the area around PAX? Places to eat, shop, etc?
Watch for the Boston Area Map and Info thread to make an appearance for details on the surrounding PAX East area.

How hard is it to get around downtown Boston? Will I need a car?
Most of anything you will need is located within walking distance of the PAX hotels and convention center. You will only need a car if you plan on traveling outside of downtown (so probably not at all). Also, it has come strongly recommended that you not drive into Boston if you can avoid it.

Is there any free parking downtown?
No, parking costs money.

Why can't the passes be mailed out internationally?
A lot of internationally-shipped badges were eaten by the post in 07. It's easier all around to have you pick up your badge at Will Call, and skip the whole "where's my badge?!" panic at the end of August. Alternatively, you can pay for FedEx shipping if you really want it sent to you.
heels wrote: »
PAX will open at 2:00pm on Friday.

This is a fact!

Hey look everybody, it's the PAX World Map!

(click for embiggening)

13ynzgl.jpg

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• origamikidorigamikid Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Ok I have a question...

I am looking to come over to PAX East, I would be coming over from the UK and it would infact be my first trip over to the USA, however i was wondering a few things:

Firstly - what is the scale going to be like compared to the normal PAX show? Will there be just as many video games etc on show and playable?

Secondly - I will probs end up having to come over on my own, will there be enough here to keep me entertained all day all weekend?

:D

Thanks guys!

-Josh

origamikid on
  • raist222raist222 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Well due to time constraints our group will be driving, the only problem we are having is finding anything near reasonable parking, any suggestions?

raist222 on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Josh, there will be so many things to keep you entertained you're going to have to make hard choices about which simultaneous awesome things to choose. PAX is heaven for even ADD-afflicted gamers. Even if you're standing in line, the social environment is awesome: everyone is a gamer, and after a couple hours everyone has become accustomed to everyone else being a gamer, so you can strike up conversations with practically anyone, play DS games, etc.

I think it takes about two days after PAX is over and you're back in the "real world" for many people to readjust, and realize that in the less-awesome "real world" far fewer people are gamers and you have to relearn bottling up your interests and blending in again.

If you've never been to PAX, it's a life changing experience. You MUST come, one of these years. Bring your DS but you don't really need anything else to keep yourself occupied.

Edit: I missed answering part of your question. We don't know how big until more details are announced, but from what I've heard it will be "big enough." What does that mean?

The only size metrics that we could possibly refer to are: attendance numbers, area of convention space, number of satellite theaters, number of theater seats, number of panels you care about, number of exhibitors you care about, size of console freeplay (lending library and seats), size of tabletop freeplay (lending library and seats), size of BYOC and PC freeplay, etc.

In nearly all cases, as long as everything is sized appropriately for the number of attendees (or vice-versa) then even if the con is half the size of PAX 09, there will still be such a wealth of things to do and see that each attendee will still enjoy themselves greatly.

Tenuous logic, and not a proof by any means, but I don't know how to explain it any other way.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    raist222 wrote: »
    Well due to time constraints our group will be driving, the only problem we are having is finding anything near reasonable parking, any suggestions?
    There is no such thing as rational parking is Boston. Good luck to you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    raist222 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as rational parking is Boston. Good luck to you.

Totally wrong, especially since on Saturday and Sunday you can park for as low as $5 at South Station. This site offers good tips and you can park a lot of places for the (week) day for $30, between a few people that's nothing. Under the Common is pretty good for all day parking and is centralized and Post Office Square is pretty organized. Parking at the Pru can get pretty crazy, so while it will be tempting, I wouldn't recommend it. On the weekend you can also park for free by nabbing a visitor spot anywhere in the city.

VisionOfClarity on
  • plagasplagas Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    How are bands submitted for this event?

plagas on
    edited September 2009
    I think bands are contacted by PA or Reed directly.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm wondering if I should pre-reg or wait.

The sutuation:

I'm still awaiting word or a sign that there will be an ability to sign-up for staff. Also, I am starting a convention news business that may qualify me for a press badge. Also, I'm an MIB and a Gozarian and I would be running some demos from both companies.

If worse comes to worse, and I pre-reg next month, would I be able to get a comp for 2011 after performing my duties at PAX East 2010?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There might be, just keep watching the front page.

if there is a signup for staff and you get accepted, you can get a refund on a pre-reg. or just sell it to someone else.
    it wont be comped to a different year.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have some questions, they might not be answerable right now though:

- Are Tycho and Gabe going to be at PAX East?
    - Are there going to be concerts at PAX East?
    - If the initial estimate proves to be extremely conservative are they cutting off ticket registration, is the convention center able to make room, or is everyone going to be massively packed in?
    - Can any regular Boston-ites give an estimate on the cost of getting from the airport to the convention center area by taxi? Are there any locals' secrets for better ways to get back and forth from the airport?
    - Is Wizards of the Coast going to be present/will they be running a Dungeon Delve thing at this one? Somewhat related, it sounded like a lot of the games in the tabletop game area to borrow were provided by enforcers, will there be an equal selection (or any idea of how equal a selection it'd be) at PAX East?
    - Is there going to be a keynote speaker at PAX East? I know it says that things will be a bit different at East Coast so it isn't a direct copy, is there any way we can get idea of what the differences (other than no Omegathon) will be? Example: Still tournaments? Panels? Keynote? Concerts? Q&A sessions? Draw a Strip? Free play? Sumos for handhelds? PAX10?

A lot of this is just curiousity, but they're things I've been wondering about. :)

Hypatia on
    edited September 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I have some questions, they might not be answerable right now though:

- Are Tycho and Gabe going to be at PAX East?
    - Are there going to be concerts at PAX East?
    - If the initial estimate proves to be extremely conservative are they cutting off ticket registration, is the convention center able to make room, or is everyone going to be massively packed in?
    - Can any regular Boston-ites give an estimate on the cost of getting from the airport to the convention center area by taxi? Are there any locals' secrets for better ways to get back and forth from the airport?
    - Is Wizards of the Coast going to be present/will they be running a Dungeon Delve thing at this one? Somewhat related, it sounded like a lot of the games in the tabletop game area to borrow were provided by enforcers, will there be an equal selection (or any idea of how equal a selection it'd be) at PAX East?
    - Is there going to be a keynote speaker at PAX East? I know it says that things will be a bit different at East Coast so it isn't a direct copy, is there any way we can get idea of what the differences (other than no Omegathon) will be? Example: Still tournaments? Panels? Keynote? Concerts? Q&A sessions? Draw a Strip? Free play? Sumos for handhelds? PAX10?

A lot of this is just curiousity, but they're things I've been wondering about. :)

Reed Expo implied there will be concerts and a keynote speaker just different ones from Seattle. They also asked about tabletop gaming and were given a resounding 'yes' that they were still wanted. It has been implied there won't be an Omegathon but there will be an equally big but different event. Gabe and Tycho have apparently been out here a few times to check things out and Khoo has said he's here more than he tells us so I assume they will most likely be at PAX. After all they were at Comic Con NY this year, so they'll probably be at their own con.

Taxi from and to the airport blows because of the airport fees. It cost me almost $40 to go from Beacon Hill to the airport. If you take a cab to/from the airport I'd carpool. Taking the shuttle to the T is really easy though. Everything is labeled (including the shuttles) and that will cost you $2 only. You could wait anywhere from 5-10 minutes for the shuttle and the T to show up.

VisionOfClarity on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taxi from and to the airport blows because of the airport fees. It cost me almost $40 to go from Beacon Hill to the airport. If you take a cab to/from the airport I'd carpool. Taking the shuttle to the T is really easy though. Everything is labeled (including the shuttles) and that will cost you $2 only. You could wait anywhere from 5-10 minutes for the shuttle and the T to show up.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit more? As someone who's never been east of the Mississippi, and is a total public transportation noob, I have no idea what "the T" could be. Seriously, the only public transportation I've ever used was in Seattle at PAX, and one time in San Francisco, and I had a friend to guide me.

My group will be flying in to Boston Logan airport.

Is there maybe a van shuttle operated by the Sheraton that just goes back and forth between the airport and the hotel?

What about the subway...thing? Would that even be practical with luggage?

Speak to me like I'm 5... also, any maps or pictures or anything would be enormously helpful.

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not sure about the shuttle van. A lot of hotels have them, though. Most likely, you'd have to call the hotel and request the service, though, and I don't know if one is available or how much it would cost.

The T stands for the MBTA, the general public transportation system for Boston and surrounding towns. Subway, bus, commuter trains, and water shuttles are all in the mix. You would be interested in the subway if you're taking the T.
    To take the T, you have to find the bus that takes you to the station (anyone know where to catch the bus. I assume it stops outside the front doors of the terminal).
    The airport is on the blue line. You take the inbound train. You need to switch to the green line at Government Center (that's the name of the stop in question) and take one of the outbound trains (anything but the E line. Do not grab the E train or you'll have to get off and come back).
    Luggage on the T is fine, so far as I know, but it's not exactly a short hop, and there is some walking involved.
    When you leave the train, you should be on a bridge (been a while since I was there. If anyone knows the name of the street please post). Take a left. Turn left at the corner.
    You'll be walking over the Mass Pike. After taking that left at the corner, you'll see a huge building further down on your right. That's the Hynes. Dalton St. is the leading edge of the building. If you take a right down that street, you'll pass the bowling alley on your right and the Sheraton will be at the end of the block on your left.
    The MBTA's website is www.mbta.com. I do apologize if this is against policy for the forums but anyone from out of town should take a very good luck at the subway map.

And, he was right about the cabs. You will be charged a fee for going through the tunnel on top of the normal fees (which are nothing to sneeze at).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • KalgarooKalgaroo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shugarae, check the thread, The PAX East Bible, below this one. We should probably copy a lot of the information from there to here, but for now, it's where you'll find tons of info. It sounds like people are putting together guides and things, I assume they will be a compendium of that thread and this one.

Kalgaroo on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome! Thanks to both of you :D

One more question, after glancing at the PAX East Bible (and maybe this was covered there...), is the shuttle from the airport to the T free? If not, how much does that cost?

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Question: I have my hotel booked through the PAX website and got my confirmation email from them. But still I don't trust anything that's not the hotel itself. I feel like I am going to show up to the hotel and they'll have no idea what I am there for and not have a room for me.

Is there a way to confirm that I actually do have a room?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited September 2009
    shugarae wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks to both of you :D

One more question, after glancing at the PAX East Bible (and maybe this was covered there...), is the shuttle from the airport to the T free? If not, how much does that cost?

It is, the T itself is $2. Also if any of you stay at a hotel by the airport they usually include free shuttle to the airport and the airport T.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited September 2009
    shugarae wrote: »

Could you elaborate on this a little bit more? As someone who's never been east of the Mississippi, and is a total public transportation noob, I have no idea what "the T" could be. Seriously, the only public transportation I've ever used was in Seattle at PAX, and one time in San Francisco, and I had a friend to guide me.

My group will be flying in to Boston Logan airport.

Is there maybe a van shuttle operated by the Sheraton that just goes back and forth between the airport and the hotel?

What about the subway...thing? Would that even be practical with luggage?

Speak to me like I'm 5... also, any maps or pictures or anything would be enormously helpful.

The T is typically referring to the subway portion of the MBTA. Their website is awesome so peek around their a bit. I've been in and out of Logan so many times with varying amounts of luggage and have never had a problem.

Call the Sheraton to see if they do a shuttle, I only know that the ones near the airport do them, I don't know about downtown.

Any hotel specific questions you should definitely call your hotel and the specific one. We have some hotel groups with multiple hotels in the city so call the one you will literally be sleeping in.

VisionOfClarity on
  • YoshipantsYoshipants Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Question: I have my hotel booked through the PAX website and got my confirmation email from them. But still I don't trust anything that's not the hotel itself. I feel like I am going to show up to the hotel and they'll have no idea what I am there for and not have a room for me.

I've done plenty of 3rd party hotel reservations in my time, and I've never had any troubles. However, if you'd like reassurance for your peace of mind, I'd suggest calling the hotel and simply confirming with them that they received and processed the reservation request.

Yoshipants on
    edited September 2009
    In the case of PAX Prime this year, the block is reserved by the third party reservation company and the individual details of reservations are sent to the hotels all at once a few weeks prior to PAX. So, the hotel may not have your individual reservation just yet. Make sure you save your confirmation e-mail, just in case.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

not even the oakland raiders could overtake you room :)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey there. My wife and I are long time attendees of various RPG-style conventions, and we were both wondering what sort (if any) of tabletop RPG game sessions could be expected at PAX East? Is it strictly a video-game environment, or is there also some outlets for traditional RPG'ing?

Facelesscog on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Considering that PAX prime has an entire floor dedicated to tabletop games including but not limited to RPGs, board games, and CCGs, I would be very, very surprised if similar features were lacking at PAX East.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited September 2009
    Hey there. My wife and I are long time attendees of various RPG-style conventions, and we were both wondering what sort (if any) of tabletop RPG game sessions could be expected at PAX East? Is it strictly a video-game environment, or is there also some outlets for traditional RPG'ing?

Theres a section of pax thats reserved for tabletop games.

BigRed on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How early before doors open on Friday should one arrive to get an armband?

Goose! on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    i think just about everyone in the queue room got one, even those arriving shortly before 10. either way, everyone wound up getting into the concerts, especially those who didn't arrive right at the start time. i would show up at about 8, though, since there is pre-show entertainment.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Firestorm88Firestorm88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Goose! wrote: »
    i think just about everyone in the queue room got one, even those arriving shortly before 10. either way, everyone wound up getting into the concerts, especially those who didn't arrive right at the start time. i would show up at about 8, though, since there is pre-show entertainment.
    That'd be incorrect. I was in the queue room early on Friday, but left to grab food. I found out the end of the line was no in the queue room but went outside and out into the street. Nobody after 9:15 - 9:30 got a band for sure.

Firestorm88 on
  • Jkyr12Jkyr12 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I once read/heard that at PAX you are allowed to suggest games and ideas to game developers and stuff.....Is this true? Also, does Nintendo attend?

Jkyr12 on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There is a Pitch your Game Idea panel, which has different game developers attend each year, but its not for getting them to use your idea, but for fun and/or getting critiquing for an idea you want to develop yourself.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    There is a Pitch your Game Idea panel, which has different game developers attend each year, but its not for getting them to use your idea, but for fun and/or getting critiquing for an idea you want to develop yourself.

The pitch your game idea is where you pitch the most absurd game you can think of, and you either get criticized or praised lol... its all for fun, your game will not be made, and if yours is one of the funniest or craziest, you could win a prize.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was considering asking ye old "HOW DO I VOLUNTEER LULZ" question, but I know that answer already ["just wait, newb!"] So instead, I will ask a few other questions ABOUT volunteering from those who've done it at prime:

~What is the experience like?
    ~What sort of departments are there?
    ~Do volunteers get rooms or do they pay for their own?
    ~Does previous experience staffing cons help in getting "accepted?"
    ~After hours orgy in the back room, y/y?

Just curious. =D

Izzie on
    http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
    edited September 2009
    Izzie wrote: »
    I was considering asking ye old "HOW DO I VOLUNTEER LULZ" question, but I know that answer already ["just wait, newb!"] So instead, I will ask a few other questions ABOUT volunteering from those who've done it at prime:

~What is the experience like?
    ~What sort of departments are there?
    ~Do volunteers get rooms or do they pay for their own?
    ~Does previous experience staffing cons help in getting "accepted?"
    ~After hours orgy in the back room, y/y?

Just curious. =D

JUST WAIT FOR THE FRONT PAGE ANNOUNCEMENT N00B!

:P

Experience is what you make of it. You get to help out with something awesome, you can do the minimum or go all out and work the entire time, mostly up to you.

Ever been to pax? (console freeplay, BYOC, pc freeplay, theaters, expo, VIP assistance, etc. those are some of the depts)

You pay your own.

Kinda, depends. Good referrals can help. Terrible referrals will get you pwned. But if you have been working a convention more than once I doubt you will have those.

Only if you bring your mom.

BigRed on
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haha, extremely helpful.
    I've never been to PAX, no, but i'm psyched about going.
    Hopefully I'll be able to volunteer and meet everybody, awoowoo

something tells me my mom wouldn't go for that...worth a shot. XD

Izzie on
    http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What-you-make-of-it is spot on. Volunteering for PAX is really a beautiful thing -- you're helping make something incredible happen.

LOLtextWALL warning:
    Edit: I should probably state that the following isn't official -- it's based on my own experience Enforcing for three years -- and I am not an employee of and do not speak for Penny Arcade Inc in any capacity.

PAX organizers do an incredible job, for any convention the size of PAX, of putting the convention in the hands of the volunteers and really empowering us to make the show as awesome as possible. Temper that statement with some realistic expectations though: it's a huge convention and anything huge or expensive has to be planned months in advance, and the community of Enforcers forms a robust immune system to defend against bad, unworkable, impractical, or otherwise inappropriate but good-intentioned ideas. (I should know, amirite BigRed? :-) )

You really do make your own mark on the convention, so it's important that new Enforcers be passionate about the gaming community and really want to work hard to make this amazing thing as awesome as possible. That attitude is important: for your first PAX, debatably your first two PAXes, you really need to just observe and, I hate to say it, take orders and figure out how PAX really ticks.

It's amazingly rewarding, and can be incredibly hard work if you let the work consume you. If you're the right sort of person, emotionally rewarded and motivated by that feeling of putting on an awesome party for your gamer friends (x1000), I can't recommend it highly enough. There's a good reason most conventions have to scramble for their volunteers at the last minute, and we have to turn people away. :-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was just curious, with seatlle's con there was a great deal where you could book your airport transit to hotel via the web. I was looking either for something similar for PAX East or for suggestions on a good towncar service from logan. Also if anyone can give me an estimate for what a trip from logan to hynes convention center would cost that would be great.

Any help is appreciated

Ricin

Ricin on
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would suggest using the T (Boston's subway system) as it's pretty cheap, fast, reliable, etc. You can find info on other types of transportation here. For more info, both the PAX East Info and FAQ thread as well as the PAX East Bible thread have much more specific instructions on how to get to the Hynes from various places using public transportation.

The T is $2 per ride, $9 for an unlimited daily pass, and $15 for a 7-day unlimited pass.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
    edited September 2009
    There is a free shuttle that will take you from the airport to the Blue Line. Take the Blue Line inbound to Government Center, switch to any of the green lines accept the E train, and get off at Hynes Convention center. If you accidentally get on the E train, thats fine too, just get off at Prudential, and walk through to the other side. Its all really easy to do, even if youve never been ona subway before. Oh, and here's an insider tip, when you get to the Airport station, after getting off of the shuttle, go inside and go to the guy in the little booth on the right. Ask him if he has any Charlie Cards. He'll give you an empty charlie card, and then take that to the machine and load money onto it. When you use a card instead of a ticket, you get 30 cents off on each ride.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited September 2009
    You can also buy a CharlieCard online and get it shipped to you via USPS/Fedex =P

dardor on
    edited September 2009
    dardor wrote: »
    You can also buy a CharlieCard online and get it shipped to you via USPS/Fedex =P

Yeah, but you have to buy them with like 20 dollars pre loaded, and people might not need that much money for 3-5 days. Getting one there for free is better, because they can just load however much they want on to it

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited September 2009
    Def true. It comes in denominations of $5, $10, or $20 shipped though.

dardor on
This discussion has been closed.