As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roommates Birthday, need ideas

DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tieAhhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my roommate is turning 30 next week and this his party is super hella importante.
Thus far, a place has been booked with open bar and we're looking at 80 - 120 people.

I need some ideas for how to spiff it up a bit.

--He threw my party this year at the same location and put up a shit ton of embarassing pics all over the place, inc both bathrooms.

--got a pro cake from a baker friend of ours

-- got me a t-shirt with my face on it and had it all sharpied up by the room

-- obligatory hat to make me look like a fucking tool

While these are good ideas, I need to bring something else to the table lest I be thought of by my friends as a lazy unimaginative fuckhead. Help!

TLDR: Need awesome ideas for a friends birthday in a private bar.

Deebaser on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Find an embarrassing picture focusing on his face and crop out everything else. Mass print it on thick stock paper or poster board, then have them attached to fan paddles or paint stirrers and distribute them to the guests as masks. Then when he arrives, everyone can stare at him with masks of his own shame staring back at him.

This was done to awesome effect at my 21st. I'll never forget it. :)

Enc on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Enc wrote: »
    Find an embarrassing picture focusing on his face and crop out everything else. Mass print it on thick stock paper or poster board, then have them attached to fan paddles or paint stirrers and distribute them to the guests as masks. Then when he arrives, everyone can stare at him with masks of his own shame staring back at him.

This was done to awesome effect at my 21st. I'll never forget it. :)

Fuck. I will remember this idea.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Make a name for the event. It should include the name of your friend and brand EVERYTHING at the event with that brand name. Call it Yourfriendnamefest, or yourfriendnamearoo, or yourfriendnameapalooza or something equally stupid.

Do the pic fan thing that Enc suggested. Make sure you brand everything with that event name.

Also, use that same pic to make T-Shirts for the guests. Have the front be the branded event name and the back be the goofy pic of him (or vice versa). Have the guests wear those t-shirts at the event.

The key should be simple amount of stuff and message unity. Knapkins, posters, T-Shirts, party favors, I think you can print special bottled water labels all branded the same thing.

If Frank's cake has the same goofy pic and "HAPPY FRANKAPALLOZA" on it too, then even better.

It will be hilariously creepy.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hire a clown to look depressed and sit in the corner sighing the whole time and when people ask you about it just say 'what clown?'

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    hire a clown to look depressed and sit in the corner sighing the whole time and when people ask you about it just say 'what clown?'

Stripper clown.

Could you tie him to a chair and let his party just happen around him? Ooo, a rolling office chair!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    no no no. the more morose the better. just a sad clown hunched over and/or slumped in a chair with like a 40oz or something. tell him not to talk to anyone

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    no no no. the more morose the better. just a sad clown hunched over and/or slumped in a chair with like a 40oz or something. tell him not to talk to anyone

You've never seen a drunk angry clown strip, have you?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    actually i cant say that i have.

the idea is to just creep people out more than entertain, but thats my humor.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So you're saying you wouldn't be creeped out by a angry fat drunk male clown stripping?
    kay, guy

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clarification:

There will be a stripper at the pre-party. It will not be a clown.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you can find a midget clown that's willing to sit in a kiddie chair all super depressed with a forty in his hand and any time some tries to talk him he tells them to fuck off or leave him alone, it would be so much better. Also don't go for the sad clown face, go for the happiest clown ever face painting.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stripper clown.

Could you tie him to a chair and let his party just happen around him? Ooo, a rolling office chair!

For horrible effect, Tie him to the chair and put "Doctor Feelgood" on the stereo and then scream "THE STRIPPER'S HERE!"

Then the clown comes out.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Two words: Erotic cake.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Im not hiring a midget or a clown stripper.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Im not hiring a midget or a clown stripper.

Yeah, not really practical.

Another fun, if slightly evil, thing you can do is issue rubber band guns (clothespins + wood "guns, you can get them for $1 each online or at dollar stores) and a baggie of rubber bands to everyone who comes to the party. It sounds terrible and childish, but the last time I encountered this was at a halloween party where the majority of the folks were 20+ and everyone had a blast shooting each other.

Enc on