As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I just got a used Xbox 1...

2»

• SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »
    does anyone know if Panzer Dragoon and the Otogis are compatible with the 360? always wanted to try those especially Panzer.

None of the above. Neither is Phantom Dust.

that sucks what you just typed. but thanks for the info. sigh

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought I'd address your question about the wireless controllers. Honestly, get a wired S-Controller, and enjoy.

I have the Logitech that most people recommend, the wireless feature is nice, but the control sticks on the thing fucking sucks. They have less resistance than the goddamn PS1/2/3 controllers and I didn't think that was possible. The Dpad is also terrible.

As much as I hate wires, the best thing to do is stick with the S controller, or the Duke if you'd like.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Psychonauts...

Have it on PS2.

I should really get around to playing that.
    august wrote: »
    I'm leery of Jet Set Radio Future for the same reason as the Dreamcast game: Music.

I never played JGR on the DC. What was the music like? I have the impression that it had a lot of American rock and pop? I say this because JSRF has Japanese hiphop and electronica mixed with rap from a Beastie Boys side project that is funky and also fresh. It fits the visuals of the game really well.

No, the first one had plenty of Japanese stuff and a couple Beasties samples. Plus some Rob Zombie and other American tracks. My guess is that he just dosen't like that kind of thing.
    You hit the nail on the head. It might be an awesome game, but that kind of music.

It's one of the things I couldn't stand about Sonic Rush.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    /Owns the JSRF soundtrack..

/Also keeps Cibbo Matto - Birthday cake on his iPod, at all times.

Nothing better than walking down the street, turning up the volume, and then rocking out to:
    Shut up and eat!
    Too bad, no bon appetit!
    Shut up and eat!
    You know my love is sweet!

...as sung by a punk-ish japanese girl with a heavy accent accompanied by bass and drums. Just awesome.

Seriously though, I can understand not having the taste for Birthday Cake, (a song which I once heard described as "scorpions raping my ear", a description I felt apt) it's an admittedly niche song, but how the shit can you guys not love Koto Stomp, Hello Allison, or The Concept of Love? I mean those are just some freaking awesome songs right there.

*Recoil opens up Windows Media Player and starts jamming to some Hideki Naganuma beats...

Recoil42 on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Psychonauts...

Have it on PS2.

I should really get around to playing that.
    august wrote: »
    I'm leery of Jet Set Radio Future for the same reason as the Dreamcast game: Music.

I never played JGR on the DC. What was the music like? I have the impression that it had a lot of American rock and pop? I say this because JSRF has Japanese hiphop and electronica mixed with rap from a Beastie Boys side project that is funky and also fresh. It fits the visuals of the game really well.

No, the first one had plenty of Japanese stuff and a couple Beasties samples. Plus some Rob Zombie and other American tracks. My guess is that he just dosen't like that kind of thing.
    You hit the nail on the head. It might be an awesome game, but that kind of music.

It's one of the things I couldn't stand about Sonic Rush.

Yeah then you definately won't like JSRF. Since the music is by the same guy who did Sonic Rush and all...

And, I have to say. I love Birthday Cake.

Extra sugar, extra salt, extra oil and MSG!

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the subject of JSRF music, I would like to point out how awesome the Aisle 10 song is.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Breakdown Breakdown Breakdown Breakdown
    On the subject of JSRF music, I would like to point out how awesome the Aisle 10 song is.

Hell yeah. Best song in the game.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil pretty much said what I was going to, with answers that are as accurate as I know. And a good list of games, too; trust him on PGR2, it's phenomenal even if you don't care for racers much.

I maxed out my Xbox's hard drive once, but that was with in excess of 100 ripped CDs on there for custom soundtracks. I think it's actually impossible to just max it out from saves even if you have the system's entire library, have saves from them all and have downloaded all available DLC. That 8GB drive is plenty.

That reminds me, memory cards... you should be able to find 'em used, but they generally didn't sell well so they might not be easy to get. I don't recall hearing bad things about the third-party ones, but the usual caveats apply (I have two official MS ones). They're 8MB each, same as PS2 ones, but devs sometimes got lazy because of the hard drive, and Xbox saves are often far bigger than their PS2 counterparts for no good reason. And, as mentioned, some saves won't copy at all.

I'm also the only person I know IRL, and the only one I know even moderately well online, who has a totally unmodded Xbox - even more amazing when you consider it's a launch-day system and thus the easiest to mod. It's even stilll on its original Thomson DVD drive that works just fine, so it really is something of a rarity. I've got about 100 games for the thing and I'll never sell it even if the 360 suddenly gets 100% BC, which of course will never happen.

My 360 will run about 25-30 of those 100 games, so that part's all academic anyway.

But, yeah. I <3 my Xbox.

Jazz on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never used Live, and I love my XB1 just fine.

I'll second JSRF, Phantom Dust, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, and Panzer Dragoon Orta to every extent possible.

And it has a ton of great SNK fighters, like SvC Chaos, Samurai Shodown V(debatable since it's supposedly not the best version), etc.

I originally got mine for the Doom 3 CE, and I just picked up the must haves afterwards(I'd always wanted one for JSRF).

The two Fatal Frames are both Director's Cuts on XB, so maybe they're the definitive versions. That's the system I have them for, at least.
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    On the subject of JSRF music, I would like to point out how awesome Teknopathetic is.

Slight correction.

And the lack of BC on 360 for my favorite games means I'll never get rid of my XB1 whenever I get the 360.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember I sold my Xbox for 300 bucks about 2 weeks before the 360 came out.

The guy was a dad buying it for his kids. I sort of felt bad about ripping him off.

Not.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah, Live. If you aren't going to do multiplayer, it's pointless since there's no free tier (like the 360's Silver) to just get you access to DLC.

Of course, with the 360 it's practically a necessity in one form or another.

Jazz on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, from what I can tell, if I don't manage to use Live in some way or another when I get a 360, I'm missing out on 90% of the best stuff.

In my opinion, its content is even beating the Virtual Console's right now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yeah, from what I can tell, if I don't manage to use Live in some way or another when I get a 360, I'm missing out on 90% of the best stuff.

In my opinion, its content is even beating the Virtual Console's right now.
    It had a really bad drought for while, but right now it's just a constant flow of awesome.

The last few weeks have seen Alien Hominid (fully remastered in HD), Worms (same), the TMNT arcade game and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. This week it's Jetpac Refuelled, a remake/update of one of my favourite 8-bit home computer games. Double Dragon (arcade version), Gyruss, and Catan are just around the corner. And the back catalogue is solid too. It's just fantastic.

Jazz on
  • guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Recoil's rad music taste.

Recoil. I have so much respect for you.
    I have the entire JSRF soundtrack too... And years later it's still in my regular rotation. A crying shame we'll never get a proper sequel to the game.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes