As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer 40k - Such is the Emperor's will.

• FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    better pics of the LED models :

f06f3d42.jpg
    afc0cc1c.jpg
    0697f0b2.jpg
    b00b51a5.jpg
    5bd3b08a.jpg

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one who sees a tau piranha and immediately thinks that it looks like its backwards?

Jealous Deva on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I do now.
    As for painting red, check out Sharp's painting thread, he is painting up a red eldar so that might be of assistance.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only way I know of painting red really well is layering, and that probably wouldn't be of much use on vehicles.

One un-related question: Can I put two different squads in the same rhino? I have two five-man squads (each with an assualt weapon), and I'd much prefer to take one rhino to two razorbacks.

Athaedos on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Athaedos wrote: »
    The only way I know of painting red really well is layering, and that probably wouldn't be of much use on vehicles.

One un-related question: Can I put two different squads in the same rhino? I have two five-man squads (each with an assualt weapon), and I'd much prefer to take one rhino to two razorbacks.

You can also get the red Foundation paint that GW is releasing. It will coat over black in one layer allowing brighter reds to go on quickly.

As for the Rhino question, no you can't have two squads in the same vehicle. The vehicle is taken as a dedicated transport for a specific unit and no other unit may go into it.

I'm to the point that I actually need more buildings and I was looking into getting the Imperial Sector. Would anyone be interested in a project log of terrain construction?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey has anyone who has a Necron army ever tried to put LED lights in the gauss weapons? Ive always though of doing it but never knew how difficult it was

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That LED Tau stuff is shit-hot and if I ever get tau models that is exactly what I am doing.

VBakes: LED'd Crons:

warriors.jpg

warriorclose.jpg

flayed.jpg

destroyer1.jpg

I love lit models. :)

Ein on
    edited March 2007
    Also, Fibretip: Please, please, please go over how you insert LEDs into such tiny models.

I'd love to know about the inner workings of your LEDs in the pirhanas and crisis suits. I've done it on my larger models but I wire like a baboon.

Also, you aren't 'PolkaDot' from the Work in Progress forums, are you?

Ein on
  • VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That LED Tau stuff is shit-hot and if I ever get tau models that is exactly what I am doing.

VBakes: LED'd Crons:

warriors.jpg

warriorclose.jpg

flayed.jpg

destroyer1.jpg

I love lit models. :)

You're a god among men, how hard was all that?

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jam : I'm sure i don't wire any better than you... you should hear me swearing when i do these ;) the amount of burns i get... every time i start one my wife comes up and says "didn't you say you'd never touch those things again" lol The truth is that i don't even know what i'm doing... i don't even have proper wire... i put these together with bits from an old IDE cable.. I've tried buying expensive wire but i kept breaking it! I just couldn't resist the tau.. i hadn't done GW in years then saw the tau models in a shop window whilst i was in the middle of an xbox LED mod and i'd bought them before i knew what i was doing lol.

The LED in the fire warrior is in his chest, just under his chin, pointing upwards, and i hollowed out the head so it shines through the eyes. It would be easier to do with a craft drill i imagine.. i just have a stupid xacto lol.

I use 3v CR2032 batteries in the bases of the models (except the piranha, that was a comission and the guy wanted a replacable 9v battery because it has 6 LEDs in two series circuits of 3...hence the huge base)

In the crisis suits i hollow out the legs and just run the wires straight down inside the model to the battery in the base... i pick up these little CR2032 holders from ebay... makes the wiring a total sinch. I ought to take pictures next time i do one, i always get to the end of projects and think "shit..."... next time i'll force myself! I've got some wip shots of a crisis suit i did last year somewhere on my other pc, i'll try and dig those out later to see if there's anything that would be of use.

The tau devilfish/hammerhead are crazy fun to do with LED's, you've got that nice open space inside to fit any battery you like. I've done a few in different ways and they're always a nice easy project.

I'll be doing another led project on the falcon grav tank, i'll try and take progress shots when i start, the kit's coming sometime this week in the mail.

those necrons are crazy! god only knows how there's space for wires in those models :| also they're totally chromed out... very nice.

edit: no i'm not part of any other forums...sorry!

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
    edited March 2007
    I feel the need to clarify that those Crons aren't mine. :P

Ein on
    edited March 2007
    I started painting the throne up a bit and I'm starting to remember why I don't.. really.. paint a lot of the stuff I build. I am so out of practice. :(

The recesses are a bit glossy as I've been using that future wash stuff.

frog6.jpg

frog7.jpg

frog8.jpg

Ein on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I started painting the throne up a bit and I'm starting to remember why I don't.. really.. paint a lot of the stuff I build. I am so out of practice. :(

The recesses are a bit glossy as I've been using that future wash stuff.

Frog Throne

That looks great Jam!. Some flat drycoat should knock the shine out of it.

So no one has any thoughts on a City of Death terrain log? I know it kinda got buried by the lit up tau.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited March 2007
    By the by..

f06f3d42.jpg

This is some of the slickest painting I've ever seen. You've done the gradienting and transitions so unbelievably well. Is this airbrushed?

Ein on
  • Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought I was the only one taken aback by it, Jam. That really is what the Tau should be to me. Slickest mofos in the galaxy. The LEDs are pretty cool, but definitely take a backseat to everything else.

I'm sure I'd enjoy any terrain building log since that's probably my favorite aspect of wargaming.

Elbonian Man on
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure I'd enjoy any terrain building log since that's probably my favorite aspect of wargaming.

Well there's one person interested. It will probably be a while as my birthday is coming up and I might ask for a second Imperial Sector, giving me a lot of stuff to work with :).

Librarian's ghost on

• UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well there's one person interested. It will probably be a while as my birthday is coming up and I might ask for a second Imperial Sector, giving me a lot of stuff to work with :).

Less with the blah-blah talk and just do it. :P

Also,

Take.
    Some.
    Notes.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • CosmoCosmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Make that two people. I'd like to here about it.

Cosmo on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't have room to build my own terrain (fortunately I live pretty close to warhammer world tho), so it would be pretty cool to read.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited March 2007
    This is both to Tim for his terrain thing and anyone else who is interested

I will be adding a tutorial section to The Warforge soon. Hopefully. And I would love to take submissions from some of you guys - meaning, Tim, if you were to do a step-by-step with photos of your terrain project, I would love to include it.

Ein on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want to know what those necrons are painted with, that isnt Citadel stuff as far as I can tell.

A thought came to me earlier, am I the only one thinking Space Marine Dreadnoughts are not as good as they should be? Being as how a Marine hero is inside, and it is a rare honour to be put in one, you would think they would get the BS/WS5 statline of the Space Wolf Venerable, in line with a hero character. An argument to even be made it should be I 5 and have an extra attack or so. Not sayiing it should be free, and they would be pretty frightning, but shouldn't they be? Seems to me it would help justify them as Elites, and makes them more appealing compared to a squad of terminators or a tank.

Azrael on
    edited March 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

Less with the blah-blah talk and just do it. :P

Also,

Take.
    Some.
    Notes.

Roger. I'm ordering the Imperial sector tomorrow.
    I love how in the second link the GW guys have a scale model using paper cut outs to design their scale model. Then in the third link that Leman Russ has the funkiest paint scheme I have ever seen.

I'm not going to be very innovative here guys. I mean I am going to try to design some original buildings as I have taken building design classes for 4 years, but I'm not going crazy with the massive foam build up to replicating flooring and all that kind of stuff. I have a 4x4 board and I plan to fill the thing with buildings. The others I play with love a board with almost solid buildings. Kinda gives it a WW2 Carentaan feeling to the game. Small squads of infantry clearing building after building while other try to clear out choke points.

Librarian's ghost on

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    must... find... batteries... for... camera...

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sigh now your forcing me to make my Monolith Light up
    I wired it up but it was too heavy. {used to many lights,wires, and so on}
    Then I tired to find a differnt place for the battery .
    Then I gave up
    So I will have to dust it off and try again.
    I have a far better idea in what I can do and I could probly get the mats to do it this time within town.

Light up Monoliths are wicked slick. I know that mine sure is. First up, you want to magnetize the base so it's easy to get on and off and get at stuff inside. Mine is lit up with about 20 LEDs, running off of two 9v batteries(these light up all the green rods), a 1.5 watt light buld, running off a AA, and the crystal is lit up with an LCD flashlight that runs off of two AAAs in the center. It's a little heavy, but the magnets hold it securely. The LEDS I put into the gauss flayer spheres (I drilled them out so that light would shine through them and the rods) don't work worth crap, so when I build my second Monolith, I'm going to put 1.5 watt bulbs in there instead.

Yeah, I'll say that the Necron LED army is wicked slick, but damn if the guy didn't suffer a total brainfart when he painted the gauss cylinders black. That's just terrible.

And I'd say, 'yeah, now it's time to start the new thread. Don't forget that stomp should be in the title.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Something about the super-shiny Necrons just looks cool to me. They look so much more skeletal than the dirty, rusty type.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited March 2007
    Would someone do me a favor and make a 400 point combat patrol list for Imperial Guard that's good against SMs? I'm going to play some more games to teach my dad and need a slightly better list than the one I came up with.

Librarian's ghost on

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    400 conscripts with demolition charges.

okay I know nothing about the actual tabletop game, but it still sounds like a fun idea. especially if you used tallarn IG models.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited March 2007
    then get some IG supply truck model and make it look like it has stacks of dynamite in the back. it can be your one "armor".

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Asmodai_00Asmodai_00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How about http://asmodai.netfirms.com//IG%20Combat%20Force.htm ?

30 models, 4 heavy bolters, 7 plasma guns.

Best I can think of in 400 points. Lemme tinker with it.

Asmodai_00 on
    edited March 2007
    Asmodai_00 wrote: »

Wow that's a lot of special and heavy weapons in 400 points. Remember it's Combat patrol so you don't have to have an Hq if you don't want to.

Do I even have that many heavy bolter models?

Still that looks like a fun list. Ooo it has a commissar in it too. Me likey.

Oh man if that's what the output on Army Builder looks like I'm just going to buy it now.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2007
    oh sure go for the real suggestion, see if I care

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited March 2007

Wow that's a lot of special and heavy weapons in 400 points. Remember it's Combat patrol so you don't have to have an Hq if you don't want to.

Oh man if that's what the output on Army Builder looks like I'm just going to buy it now.

Army builder is awesome, you really should get it.

The heavy bolter is awesome in combat patrol because its strength of 5 and three shots will threaten any vehicle that you can still bring. I know that you don't need an HQ choice, but the extra plasma guns and heavy bolter are tempting.

It might be worth dropping the command HQ and just adding another infantry squad though.

The only flaws I see is that if he has assault marines, you will get ate alive in cc unless you deploy accordingly. Also, morale is going to be a problem without vox casters and a high enough commander to offset the LD7.

Edit: http://asmodai.netfirms.com//IG%20Combat%202.htm ?

Dropped the command squad and added a remnant squad to help spread out the special weapons and heavy weapons.

Lost a heavy bolter, but gained a commisar and a few more troops.

Asmodai_00 on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Would someone do me a favor and make a 400 point combat patrol list for Imperial Guard that's good against SMs? I'm going to play some more games to teach my dad and need a slightly better list than the one I came up with.

Hmm, 400 points and good against space marines?

Doctrines:
    Grenadiers
    Veterans
    Close order drill

Grenadiers
    10 w/2 plasmaguns

Mount in:

Chimera w/ multilaser, heavy bolter, pintle mounted stubber, smoke launchers, extra armor

Veterans
    5 w/ 3 meltaguns, no upgrades for sergeant

Veterans

6 w/ laspistols and ccw, sergeant with power fist, honorifica imperialis

Infiltrate the vets to target any of the enemy's own vehicles or anti-tank capability, take it out, then just drive around your chimera plugging the enemy with 11 bolter/plasma/multilaser shots a turn. Plasma penetrates on a 6, so you should be fine there unless you're unlucky.

The only problem is if your enemy comes in with 3 footslogging tactical squads with 3 lascannons or missile launchers. In this case I'd advise you to bring a basilisk with indirect fire upgrade and switch it out for the chimera and a few of the grenadiers. Then just deploy everyone at the very back of your deployment zone behind cover and shell the marines until they manage to walk into range and kill your basilisk, at which point if the artillery gods are with you your infantry squads should be able to take them out by conventional means.

Jealous Deva on
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aren't combat patrol games supposed to be played on 4 x 4 boards? Indirect fire would be kind of a waste (more so than usual :P).

Anime Owns on
    edited March 2007

The heavy bolter is awesome in combat patrol because its strength of 5 and three shots will threaten any vehicle that you can still bring. I know that you don't need an HQ choice, but the extra plasma guns and heavy bolter are tempting.

It might be worth dropping the command HQ and just adding another infantry squad though.

The only flaws I see is that if he has assault marines, you will get ate alive in cc unless you deploy accordingly. Also, morale is going to be a problem without vox casters and a high enough commander to offset the LD7.

Dropped the command squad and added a remnant squad to help spread out the special weapons and heavy weapons.

Wow that's going to be one "loyal" patrol. Where would the second commissar go?

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2007

Wow that's going to be one "loyal" patrol. Where would the second commissar go?

Wherever. Frontline squad, the squad you cant get into cover, or just anywhere you please.

Asmodai_00 on
    edited March 2007
    So today being one of my few full days off I managed to get a lot of stuff painted. I finished the bodies of almost a full squad of DAs and get the bolters painted up. My next step is to glue the hands and shoulder pads on to paint those when I find out that my glue tube is empty...

Why is it that every time I get to some vital step of whatever I'm doing I run out of glue?

Librarian's ghost on

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've wanted to get into 40K for awhile, but couldn't quite figure out which army I wanted. Vanilla marines are too popular and ubiquitous for my tastes, Orks have a codex that is actually Apocrypha from the early version of the Bible, Eldar are Eldar, etc.

I love the idea of the Inquisition though, and I'm leaning towards Daemonhunters (although Sororitas and Witchhunters would be cool too). I get some SM with Grey Knights, other IG stuff, etc. Going to have to do some reading up on it. Maybe I'll pick up the Grey Knights novel as well.

zenpotato on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    zenpotato wrote: »
    Orks have a codex that is actually Apocrypha from the early version of the Bible, Eldar are Eldar, etc.
    True, but is'nt the new codex coming out late this year? If you could wait some months....
    I'm really praying for an overhaul to the minis line to go with codex release.

Panda4You on
This discussion has been closed.