How do you play Blackjack?

2»

Posts

  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buddies wrote: »
    I can give a little advice on Roulette. To be able to make easy money on Roulette you need to have about $1000 bucks to make 5 dollars a play, and there can't be a max bet lower than $800(these aren't necessary but you are almost guaranteed to make money if these conditions are met).

    Instead of playing each spin, you play over a series of spins. You can either play the Outside bets(1-18, Even, Red, Black, Odd, 19-36) or picking out a pie slice of the wheel. I play the Outside Bets as thats easier to remember whats going on when your getting tipsy, and will be easier to write an example out.

    The outside bets statistically will hit sometime within 7 spins. What you do is just pick a bet, and continue to bet on it. When you lose your next bet will be double what your previous was. Here is the example

    Choice Bet amount Result Winnings Total Winnings
    Red $5 Black $-5 $-5
    Red $10 Black $-10 $-15
    Red $20 Black $-20 $-35
    Red $40 Green $-40 $-75
    Red $80 Black $-80 $-155
    Red $160 Red $160 $5

    Woo, you won $5 after betting $315. It gets scary quickly as you see. I have gotten up to that scary 160 bet a couple time, and the $320 bet once. I have also seen 10 spins in a row without a hit(making me lose a shit ton of money cause I didn't have enough to cover that many spins). Basicly we increase your win% chance from 17/38 to something much much better.
    posts like this are why running a casino will always, always be profitable

    scrivenerjones on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    but if i play every available bet i cant lose!

    TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    posts like this are why running a casino will always, always be profitable

    No... the bored, the addicts, and the wealthy are why. :)

    admanb on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I insist on being taken out to dinner fir--oh, you mean the game. Right.

    Good advice in here, but I will add that it is important to build up a good rapport with the people at your table. If you do do the "You stole my card!" you better be joking and laughing about it, otherwise everyone at the table will hate you. Blackjack is a much more social game than Poker because you're all playing against one person, instead of against each other, so a large part of the fun comes from the back and forth between gamblers.

    And from winning, of course, but laughing and having a good time sure does make losing easier to handle.

    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I insist on being taken out to dinner fir--oh, you mean the game. Right.

    Good advice in here, but I will add that it is important to build up a good rapport with the people at your table. If you do do the "You stole my card!" you better be joking and laughing about it, otherwise everyone at the table will hate you. Blackjack is a much more social game than Poker because you're all playing against one person, instead of against each other, so a large part of the fun comes from the back and forth between gamblers.

    And from winning, of course, but laughing and having a good time sure does make losing easier to handle.

    yep. having drinks with people and just being chatty and cracking jokes is great. especially if you have a charismatic dealer. otherwise it just turns into this sort of bitter brooding thing.

    also dont be a boisterous asshole. no one cares that you lost stop cussing and slapping the table.

    TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Learn how to count cards, it's shockingly easy to do

    But you'll still lose.

    Well, yeah, but you'll lose less

    Seriously OP count cards. Bet low when the count is low, once it hits double digits start betting high

    Rent on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Learn how to count cards, it's shockingly easy to do

    But you'll still lose.

    Well, yeah, but you'll lose less

    Seriously OP count cards. Bet low when the count is low, once it hits double digits start betting high

    You won't really lose less either. Simple card counting strategies at best even the house edge to none, or if you're amazing .5% in your favor. That's 50 cents for every $100 you play with, spread out over billions of hands.

    And to the roulette poster, ignore it. Roulette is the worst house game, with something like a 9% house edge. There are no systems that make it better than blackjack, period. And you're betting $300 on a 17/38 chance means you're giving somebody a 5% edge on a coinflip. Nice strategy!

    Just learn basic strategy and have fun. Gamble with what you can afford to lose, and who knows...maybe you'll get lucky!

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • SavantSavant Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you are going to just play to have fun and don't want to count cards and deal with the potential hassle you'll get from that, just play using Basic strategy. Basic strategy is just the mathematically good plays are for basic rules of blackjack when you don't keep into account the cards that have already been played and not yet shuffled back into the deck.

    I remember hearing that at least some casinos in Vegas sell basic strategy cards in gift shops and even let you use them, because they still have a slight edge on you if you play using it.

    If you want a simple game to play where you don't have to learn much strategy at all, then go with craps or Baccarat. With craps you can just do the simple bets like pass line and odds and Baccarat you have only one choice to make on betting, so it is pretty straightforward for an unsophisticated gambler.

    Just remember that any games where you are playing against the house the house is going to have an edge and do whatever they can in their power to keep that edge. And over a long enough timeframe, you will lose your money to them. You can only win in the long run gambling in games of skill where your skill significantly outmatches that of your opponents, like in poker or some sports betting. If you just treat it as a form of entertainment and don't have problems with losing money as the cost of it you should be fine just playing some games to have some fun.

    Savant on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    musanman wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Learn how to count cards, it's shockingly easy to do

    But you'll still lose.

    Well, yeah, but you'll lose less

    Seriously OP count cards. Bet low when the count is low, once it hits double digits start betting high

    You won't really lose less either. Simple card counting strategies at best even the house edge to none, or if you're amazing .5% in your favor. That's 50 cents for every $100 you play with, spread out over billions of hands.

    And to the roulette poster, ignore it. Roulette is the worst house game, with something like a 9% house edge. There are no systems that make it better than blackjack, period. And you're betting $300 on a 17/38 chance means you're giving somebody a 5% edge on a coinflip. Nice strategy!

    Just learn basic strategy and have fun. Gamble with what you can afford to lose, and who knows...maybe you'll get lucky!

    This. Anyone who gambles to make money is a fool. The games are designed to make you lose more than you win if the house didn't win the majority of the time it wouldn't even be there. There's nothing wrong with gambling as long as you understand that you play the games for fun not for profit and never bet more than you can afford to lose.

    Casual on
    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Buddies wrote: »
    I can give a little advice on Roulette. To be able to make easy money on Roulette you need to have about $1000 bucks to make 5 dollars a play, and there can't be a max bet lower than $800(these aren't necessary but you are almost guaranteed to make money if these conditions are met).

    Instead of playing each spin, you play over a series of spins. You can either play the Outside bets(1-18, Even, Red, Black, Odd, 19-36) or picking out a pie slice of the wheel. I play the Outside Bets as thats easier to remember whats going on when your getting tipsy, and will be easier to write an example out.

    The outside bets statistically will hit sometime within 7 spins. What you do is just pick a bet, and continue to bet on it. When you lose your next bet will be double what your previous was. Here is the example

    Choice Bet amount Result Winnings Total Winnings
    Red $5 Black $-5 $-5
    Red $10 Black $-10 $-15
    Red $20 Black $-20 $-35
    Red $40 Green $-40 $-75
    Red $80 Black $-80 $-155
    Red $160 Red $160 $5

    Woo, you won $5 after betting $315. It gets scary quickly as you see. I have gotten up to that scary 160 bet a couple time, and the $320 bet once. I have also seen 10 spins in a row without a hit(making me lose a shit ton of money cause I didn't have enough to cover that many spins). Basicly we increase your win% chance from 17/38 to something much much better.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

    First, IANAS.

    But I'm pretty sure that's not exactly relevant. I mean, yeah, you shouldn't get to -$315 and go "I'm definitely gonna win this time" because your odds of winning at that moment are still 17/38. But your overall odds of winning $5 over the course of seven spins are pretty damn good.

    'course, an hour of doing that will be rendered null-and-void by one loss at $320. You're still better off getting a damn job.

    Your math is correct, but your interpretation isn't right - the problem with that strategy is that it maximizes the probability of not losing any money (or I guess winning $5), but doesn't actually effect the expectation value (how much money you win on average, if you did this strategy infinite times).

    Using the example above, you're absolutely right in that you have only a 2% chance of getting to the point where you're at -$635 (losing all 7 bets), and that 98% of the time you'll have won at some point in there.
    The problem, however, is that if you have a 2% chance of being down 635, and a 98% chance of being up $5 (that's not really accurate, since you could win multiples or win the first and then lose a couple, but let's say for this example that whenever you win you'll quit up $5, since it will be about the same probabilistically), your expected amount of winnings is .98 * 5 - .02 * 635 = -7.8.

    Yes, you have a VERY high chance of winning the $5 as time goes on, but the problem is that your possible negative loss is also increasing exponentially, so if you do it 100 times you'll probably wind up ahead $5 almost every time, but you could always have that one extremely rare event and lose $50000

    Gdiguy on
  • Mazer RackhamMazer Rackham __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    I wouldn't recommend card counting

    First of all, increasing bets when you detect favorable conditions means you're going to risk losing more money than if you were to just bet conservatively and consistently. Second, the gains from card counting aren't really that great, and it prevents you from socializing with the people around you at the table. Not fun.

    The only thing card counting is really useful for is knowing when to hit or stand when you have a 16 and the dealer has a 9, 10 or A. If there are lots of high cards left in the deck you want to stand, but if there are a lot of low cards it is safe to hit. This is only if the table doesn't allow you to surrender, which some do. Personally, I find that the situation doesn't happen that often to warrant counting cards so I just hit all the time anyway.

    Also, always bet 10 or 5% of the total money you plan to spend, so that you'll know you'll be able to survive several consecutive losses.

    And if you feel a table is getting shitty and you are consistently losing, leave and go to another. In the long run you will always lose money in Blackjack, but you can hold that off a bit by always playing at tables when the decks are currently in favor of the player. Finding such tables though, is pretty hit or miss.

    Mazer Rackham on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Jesus fuck there's a lot of bad advice here (see martingale system).

    If you want to play Blackjack, go with the basic strategy, but don't expect to win (as with anything you do in a casino). I wouldn't try to count cards either, you'll have enough to remember with basic strategy, trying to keep count AND employ BS will probably annoy the table as you're taking forever. Any other "advice" is probably garbage mathematically (oh look, dealer busted last hand, I'll double my bet. play like the dealer. assume the dealer's hole card is a ten).

    In blackjack, NEVER pay for insurance or take even money (which are the same thing). You will lose in the long run.

    For anything that can be found in a casino, I swear by the Wizard. He even has a blackjack game that will teach you basic strategy (pop-ups if you should double/split/surrender etc). Have a read through the site, it's very informative on the game.

    I'm guessing the university is bringing in an outside company to take care of the casino part. I could see the "house" having very strong odds (crappy blackjack payouts, no late/surrender, no double etc) because of this, so be aware.

    And lastly, ENJOY yourself. You are "donating" money, get some joy from it.

    lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    Your math is correct, but your interpretation isn't right - the problem with that strategy is that it maximizes the probability of not losing any money (or I guess winning $5), but doesn't actually effect the expectation value (how much money you win on average, if you did this strategy infinite times).

    Using the example above, you're absolutely right in that you have only a 2% chance of getting to the point where you're at -$635 (losing all 7 bets), and that 98% of the time you'll have won at some point in there.
    The problem, however, is that if you have a 2% chance of being down 635, and a 98% chance of being up $5 (that's not really accurate, since you could win multiples or win the first and then lose a couple, but let's say for this example that whenever you win you'll quit up $5, since it will be about the same probabilistically), your expected amount of winnings is .98 * 5 - .02 * 635 = -7.8.

    Yes, you have a VERY high chance of winning the $5 as time goes on, but the problem is that your possible negative loss is also increasing exponentially, so if you do it 100 times you'll probably wind up ahead $5 almost every time, but you could always have that one extremely rare event and lose $50000

    My post was specifically in response to the statement that that strategy is an example of the Gambler's Fallacy, which it's not. It is based on statistics, just statistics not thought very far ahead. That's why I added the wikipedia link on the strategy in my followup. :P

    admanb on
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My vast casino wisdom is thus:

    Never play Roulette. The odds are horribly against you in every bet you can make.

    If you are going to play Blackjack, you must memorize all the correct plays. Also, Blackjack hands are resolved fairly quickly compared to other casino games. If you are looking to maximize your entertainment dollar, find another game.

    My personal favorite is craps. Make the minimum pass bet and the appropriate free odds bet. At least it will take you a while to run through your bankroll.

    November Fifth on
  • KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Casino dealer here.

    I second the advice to learn basic strategy.

    Other strategy considerations: (advice based on European blackjack)
    A rule of thumb when splitting is that the sum of your two cards should exceed the dealer's face card.
    But: Never split 5s or 10s.

    You may be given the option to double your bet when the total of your first two cards is 9, 10 or 11.
    Remember that you don't HAVE to double. Your safest time to double is when the dealer is showing a 5 or a 6.


    Table etiquette:

    It is considered good form to follow basic strategy on a busy multi box game. Nobody will like you much if you make a stupid call and cost everyone their money. If you follow basic strategy and the table still loses... well, that's the dealer's fault.

    If you're alone on the table, or are betting considerably more money then the others... go nuts. Basic strategy is still a good idea, but I've seen people win large amounts of money doing very stupid things.

    Kincaid on
This discussion has been closed.