As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kewop - NSFW (Spiderman stop-motion)

Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Just started getting back into drawing this semester. I got a lot of crap to show you guys for tips and stuff, but I'll start off slow. The last drawing was done like 3 years ago, it was a copy of one of Xiaogang's art pieces.

Ladies and Gentlemen... critique away

handhm8.jpg

footbu4.jpg

model2xj3.jpg

skeletonjy7.jpg

recreateri4.jpg

pasigfa7.jpg
Kewop Decam on

• Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    more stuff

stilllife1tt7.jpg

stilllifepaperza1.jpg

2004938521723442490_fs.jpg

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Tom LamakieTom Lamakie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the sketch of the skeleton, you have the pelvis and leg turning left, the ribs ar profile and then the shoulder blades are shoved forwards. The invidual sketches of the bones are proportionally correct and really good but the placement of them all is off. I am interested to see if you can draw and get your darks darker, and whites whiter. Try to step away from the gray and smooth out your pencil strokes. Keep on drawin' !

Tom Lamakie on
    fathead.jpg
  • red_wyrnred_wyrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only thing I can really add is that with your last one especially the shading looks a little strange. The blacks don't transition smoothly and while that may have been a stylistic choice, it doesn’t look realistic. If you took a little extra time and went back over it to smooth the shadows out and add a better transition from value to value, I think it would look much better.

red_wyrn on
    Somewhere out there is a person just like me.... and i bet that he's boring as hell too.

no drugs were used in the making of this art
  • XaviXavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Theres some nice technique here. I appreciate that youre not smudging your shadows and letting the crosshatching do the talking, thats always nice.

For now Id say concentrate on improving your lineweights. You have some features that would be better described by smooth shading rather than by harsh lines (on the foot, for example) But youre showing some pretty good promise, great contrast work.

Another area you might want to look into is different texturing styles. All of your pieces have the same shading, so your wood looks the same as your skin, which is not something you want to happen. Study how different materials are done for a bit, itll make a big difference

Xavi on
    edited March 2007
    Xavi wrote:
    I appreciate that youre not smudging your shadows

Just to clarify, (i'm not really sure if this was directed at my post, but i'll clarify anyway) I didn't mean to say you should smuge the shadows, make sure you do the work with the pencil. Otherwise, there is a very good possiblily everything will look flat.

red_wyrn on
    Somewhere out there is a person just like me.... and i bet that he's boring as hell too.

edited March 2007
    Yea, I was trying something new with that skull study with the shadowing and it didn't work out all that well. I think the others worked out a bit better. I dunno, you tell me.

2001369784038270418_fs.jpg

2001320040892695645_fs.jpg

2001351226076247224_fs.jpg

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • ScrumYummyScrumYummy PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    :O I really like your skeletal work, although a lot of times your fleshy pictures look a bit too wrinkly, like maybe you are defining the lines too much. The very last skull you posted seems a bit off-balance (left-to-right); I think it might be the shape of the top of the skull.

I like your stuph <3

ScrumYummy on
    -Scrum
    edited March 2007
    I definatly like these better. There's a nice mix of traditional shading and the more stylized look. I really like the second. The black lines near the upper jaw look perfect in my opinon. They don't seem out of place like certain parts in your other skeletal drawing.

I have to agree with scrummy, you last is a tad unbalanced and i'm almost certain it's the top of the skull

I do have a question though, is the paper you are working on grey, or is it just your scanner?

red_wyrn on

edited March 2007
    Naw, it's me having to take photographs of the drawings. They're too big for my scanner bed. There are whites, I just didn't adjust them good enough after taking the image. I probably need to take these to the studio and probably rephotograph them in good lighting.

Keep up the suggestions cause I'm always trying to get better.

I got more anatomy stuff to show. I'll get around to posting them later.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited May 2007
    got around to tkaing pictures of some of the semester's work. Anyone got tips on how to actully take pictures of line work? I can't scan them because they're too big, and flash misses things up all the time. If ya got some tips let me know. Now here's the stuff

P1020860.JPG

P1020842.JPG

P1020855.JPG

P1020851.JPG

P1020856.JPG

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Made this a long time ago, but was always too lazy to post. Here it is now. I've been thinking of making a new once since Spiderman 3 came out, but this shit takes forever to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wi8bhwjd5U

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    :P It was worth it though!

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That spiderman animation is hillarious WITHOUT sound! :D

Nareg on