As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where to stay in Paris?

DJ-99DJ-99 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am going to be in Paris with a friend of mine Friday-Monday in October, and am trying to decide what neighborhood I should book a hotel in.

Here a few details:
-3 nights
-2 23-year old males
-going to see all the major tourist stuff (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Versailles, etc.)
-going to drink at bars/clubs at least 2 of the nights (suggestions?)
-$200/night MAXIMUM on a hotel/apartment (total, $100 per person)
-I speak French fine

I am looking for opinions. Is it better to stay near the sight-seeing stuff, like right near the Eiffel Tower, or is it not too big of a deal to take the metro there in the daytime? Is it better to stay in the Latin Quarter, near the club scene, somewhere else? Is there anything super-cool we should make sure we do while we are there?

Any thoughts and/or experiences are much appreciated!

DJ-99 on

• Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I know the Arc de Triumph is a major tourist spot but NEVER stay anywhere nearby or you'll be kept awake by endless traffic.

Reservoir Angel on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stay near a Metro stop, instead of near the attractions. The hotels will be cheaper, and trains are cheap and plentiful. The only drawback being the Metro stops running around 1am Sunday-Thursday, but usually stays open until a little after 2 on Friday and Saturday.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DJ-99DJ-99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel like staying right near the Gare de Lyon might be a good idea. I'm not really sure how easy it is to get up to the Eiffel Tower and nightlife from there, however. Does anybody know?

DJ-99 on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stay in the opera district, its trendy and ritzy at the same time, while not busting the bank... and if you find a nice place its only blocks away from the Louvre.

Good luck with the nightlife, i stayed there for 9 days and all i could find was the area around moulon rouhe and the champs... both either seedy or expensive. Then again i didnt know shit about paris before that visit... and i only discovered the latin quarter side of the river the last day. For me the real nightlife was just hanging out around the eiffel tower after dark.

Also get a bus pass, easy way to get around.

Barcardi on
  • PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DJ-99 wrote: »
    I feel like staying right near the Gare de Lyon might be a good idea. I'm not really sure how easy it is to get up to the Eiffel Tower and nightlife from there, however. Does anybody know?

Bad idea. Gare de Lyon is very far from any form of entertainment... errr okay it's not far from Bastille but that's about it. Uh... Republique isn't too far away either, BUT :

Your best bet would be to find something near Opera, which isn't central, but very close, and has a lot going for it:

Lots of clubs/bars not too far from it
    Great metro hub allowing you to go anywhere really fast
    Quiet at night
    Not too expensive (yet).

The subway stopping at 2am is a bit of pain for the lovers of the night life, but taxis tend to be relatively cheap after 1am anyway.

I'll try to expand my post a bit later. Better hurry with your reservation tho, hotels are booked up really fast anytime of the year.

PaperPritt on
    edited September 2009
    PaperPritt wrote: »

Bad idea. Gare de Lyon is very far from any form of entertainment... errr okay it's not far from Bastille but that's about it. Uh... Republique isn't too far away either, BUT :

Your best bet would be to find something near Opera, which isn't central, but very close, and has a lot going for it:

Lots of clubs/bars not too far from it
    Great metro hub allowing you to go anywhere really fast
    Quiet at night
    Not too expensive (yet).

The subway stopping at 2am is a bit of pain for the lovers of the night life, but taxis tend to be relatively cheap after 1am anyway.

I'll try to expand my post a bit later. Better hurry with your reservation tho, hotels are booked up really fast anytime of the year.

Is Opera more 2eme or 9eme arrondissement? Or neither (17eme)?

DJ-99 on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The wife and I stayed at a nice little place about a 10 min walk from the Eiffel Tower. Hotel D'Avre. Relatively cheap (back in '06 anyways) convenient to the Metro, and nice restaruants up and down the streets.

Would probably stay there again, given the chance.

Tach on
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My girlfriend and I stayed in the 10th Arrondissement at the Crowne Plaza Republique Paris earlier this month. It had a metro stop right outside its front door that had 5 lines at that stop. It wasn't next to anything famous (closest to Bastille- but there is nothing at Bastille anymore), but was only 20 minutes from everything by Metro. Really cheap, decent rooms (hallway carpets need to be redone though).

Nothing in the area worth noting (don't eat at the Crepe stand in the park) or eating at except for the boulingerese around the corner for breakfast.

Mr Blonde on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I stayed at the Hotel Yllen the last time I was in Paris. It's right near a metro, and not too far to walk to other stuff. I'm finding prices around 130 Euros for a double room which (when I was there at least) included a breakfast of juice, coffee and your choice of bread (they had excellent croissants, of course).

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited September 2009
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I stayed in the 10th Arrondissement at the Crowne Plaza Republique Paris earlier this month. It had a metro stop right outside its front door that had 5 lines at that stop. It wasn't next to anything famous (closest to Bastille- but there is nothing at Bastille anymore), but was only 20 minutes from everything by Metro. Really cheap, decent rooms (hallway carpets need to be redone though).

Nothing in the area worth noting (don't eat at the Crepe stand in the park) or eating at except for the boulingerese around the corner for breakfast.

That place looks pretty decent but it runs almost $300 a night. Looking for something cheaper than that.

DJ-99 on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When I went with my high school trip we stayed in FIAP Jean Monnet, it was a pretty decent hostel and if I remember correctly very cheap too.

Comahawk on
    edited September 2009
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

That place looks pretty decent but it runs almost $300 a night. Looking for something cheaper than that.

Ah, I forgot that it was cheap because there was a sale for that hotel on Expedia. Totally forgot.

Mr Blonde on
    edited September 2009
    My other question is about Metro passes. We're going to be there 4 days, going to/from the airport once, and to/from Versailles once.

I'm not sure if it's best to buy daily passes, a 3- or 4-day pass, a booklet of single passes, or what. I guess the real question is, how often should I expect to have to ride the metro on a normal day of sightseeing and a night of going out? I think I can get an unlimited pass for 40 euros.

If I have to I'll build a little spreadsheet to evaluate my options, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

DJ-99 on
  • PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure if it's best to buy daily passes, a 3- or 4-day pass, a booklet of single passes, or what. I guess the real question is, how often should I expect to have to ride the metro on a normal day of sightseeing and a night of going out? I think I can get an unlimited pass for 40 euros.

For the Metro you should get ParisVisite passes, good for 3 days just slightly cheaper than the 7 days standard Carte Orange, link here :

http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=fr&rub=decouvrir&cat=paris-visite&page=tarifs

this will basically get you anywhere in Paris and nearby.
    Is Opera more 2eme or 9eme arrondissement? Or neither (17eme)?

actually beetween both, just above the Champs-Elysees.

PaperPritt on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The last time I was there I stayed here http://www.hoteleiffelseineparis.com/

It was really convenient, right by touristy stuff, affordable, and clean.

oldsak on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've stayed at the Europe Hotel twice. It's cheap and a 10 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower, and a 2 minute walk from the nearest Metro Station.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited October 2009
    So I ended up booking this, primarily due to the suggestion that staying near Opera is good. I checked the location out, and it seems pretty decent.

http://www.paris-hotel-lautrec.com/english/location.html

If anybody has any general tips for Paris, or other specific tips regarding nightlife, cuisine, transportation, etc., that is still much appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

DJ-99 on
    edited October 2009
    At restaurants ask for a "caraff (a pitcher of tap water)," they may bring you a bottle of water which will be 8 euro. Send it back.

If you have an iphone, the metro Paris subway app doesn't require internet access and is EXTREMELY useful.

Expect random rain showers even when it is only partly cloudy.

If you're near the Eiffel Tower at night, look up the hill and there will a purple glow in one of the buildings. That's a fancy restaurant with good food (expect 20-30 euro a plate). The duck there is superb.

That's about all I got, you'll figure out the rest I'm sure. Also, people really do have bad body odor there.

Mr Blonde on