As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am thinking about checking this game out, missed out on OBT, but from what I'm reading and looking at it appears to be rather solid on quality and polish.

Thinking I'll be playing Elyos. Looks like both sorcelators and elementors have a decent amount of people? I like playing all types of classes, are there any in particular that are currently needed? Or is it more of a "play what you enjoy the most" atmosphere?

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X5 wrote: »
    I am thinking about checking this game out, missed out on OBT, but from what I'm reading and looking at it appears to be rather solid on quality and polish.

Thinking I'll be playing Elyos. Looks like both sorcelators and elementors have a decent amount of people? I like playing all types of classes, are there any in particular that are currently needed? Or is it more of a "play what you enjoy the most" atmosphere?

Both guilds will welcome you as long as you're not a dick. Neither have more requirements, really.

Djiem on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If Elemenstors swore to put wangs on their cape, I would definately switch allegiances.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Re: The level 3 custom logo

Here's what I found:

"The design needs to be 256x256 pixel and has to be named emblem.bmp (24bit) or emblem.tga (32bit) and be located in your main Aion folder. Your best shot at a good logo with a transparent background is saving the logo as a 32bit tga, using a transparent background via alpha channel layer. There are a few tutorials out there how to do it, but the latest Photoshop versions changed the way they handle .tga files. So if you use Photoshop, your best bet is to create the logo, save the .psd and then load it eg. with Gimp (free program) and save the .tga from there. Or you create it with eg. Gimp from the start. The legion emblem can be changed at any time for a small fee, should you make a mistake."

What's also cool is that you can purchase a shield that will display the legion logo. you can then use this shield as a "donor" item to change the skin of whatever your current shield is. Here's an example:

090818_legionshield.jpg

So what do we want to do?

Mandres on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only option is not one, but two wands.

Transporter on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only option is not one, but two wangs.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The only option is not one, but two wands.

What wands are we talking about? can you sketch something?

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How about the names of the sorcelator wands - Hurt and Burn. Done in a cool font.

Would break the convention of having an image and done well would look quite cool.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What about something with this guy? He looks like a good fit for the setting...

dr_detail1.jpg

Mandres on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    I think you're being too defensive, or at the least, taking this whole thing too seriously.
    The facts are that the Elemenstors were created at first because the Sorcelators were full. Then, it seemed like the Elemenstors was a little bit more casual-friendly (not casual, casual-friendly, huge difference) and this is why some people decided to go with the Sorcelators or the Elemenstors. Players of all types are to be found within both legions, but it seems the most few-hours-a-week players felt more comfortable with the Elemenstors and the more grindy, dedicated players wanted to be among themselves on the Sorcelators because they want one of the legion to be big, recognized, in the top X legions, you know?

It's nothing more.

I think you're right, actually. I've had a chance to sit back and clear my mind and work on some other stuff, and I've come to realize that somewhere along the line I really did start taking unimportant things too seriously.

It doesn't change the fact that, at this rate, Elemenstors will no longer be able to take new members or toons, but it can be resolved and doesn't really matter to me that much.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MeepZero's girlfriend is working on a hand drawn emblem for the Sorcelators. I asked if it was possible to do a jeweled S with two wands, Hurt and Burn, crossed behind it in a coat of arms fashion. Meep has pulled through for us before during the Roster Charge incident and I'm going to trust him to, at the very least, notify us of any changes in that plan. Other people who have ideas for the emblem are encouraged to draw one themselves, but I would really hope that the proposed emblems have some form of relation to the Sorcelators or Penny Arcade in general. And not wang related. If we do that, NC may dissolve the Legion.

I am also fairly good at using Photoshop. So all I need is the picture itself and I can get it into the correct dimensions, file type, and give it a transparent background so it can be used, so go ahead and upload high quality drawings.

Moriarty:
    I think the true source of the confusion is that you yourself don't know what your Legion is. After all, if you don't know, then how can I know? But I've been drawing the "distinction" between the Sorcelator and Elemenstor general play style for applicants because...well, it's kind of hard to say to an applicant, "We have two legions that are exactly the same and have no difference to them at all. Now pick one." If you want me to say that, then I will. But so far, you've only told me what you don't want me to say.

You asked me this before Moriarty, and it gave me an idea to go on.

What is your vision of the Elemenstors, Moriarty?

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Please excuse me, I allowed myself to get caught up in panic and paranoia. I see Elemenstors prime directive as being an inclusive, PA-oriented Legion. When I see the number of members go from 30/60 to 46/60, I let my feelings get the better of me and started trying to arrest the situation.

Elemenstors has always been seen as the more casual Legion, and that is why a majority of its members have joined. I took the lack of discussion to mean that there was a possibility that people wanted more, but in truth everyone had voted by joining what was billed as the casual Legion. I've been doing everyone a disservice by trying to have a say in how people look at the Legion, and it's caused me to go against my primary directive, which was to not try to forcefully alter anything about the Legion on my own whims.

Anyone who looks at the two legions can clearly see that Elemenstors is the casual choice. It's filling up fast, but that is a seperate issue that needs to be resolved on its own. If members want something changed, they'll say so. They don't need me to play Brigadier-General.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Looking forward to seeing what she comes up with then!

I don't think hand-drawn line art will work well in-game but I'm pretty good with Illustrator for tracing and coloring.

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Please excuse me, I allowed myself to get caught up in panic and paranoia. I see Elemenstors prime directive as being an inclusive, PA-oriented Legion. When I see the number of members go from 30/60 to 46/60, I let my feelings get the better of me and started trying to arrest the situation.

Elemenstors has always been seen as the more casual Legion, and that is why a majority of its members have joined. I took the lack of discussion to mean that there was a possibility that people wanted more, but in truth everyone had voted by joining what was billed as the casual Legion. I've been doing everyone a disservice by trying to have a say in how people look at the Legion, and it's caused me to go against my primary directive, which was to not try to forcefully alter anything about the Legion on my own whims.

Anyone who looks at the two legions can clearly see that Elemenstors is the casual choice. It's filling up fast, but that is a seperate issue that needs to be resolved on its own. If members want something changed, they'll say so. They don't need me to play Brigadier-General.

The important thing every Sorcelator and Elemenstor needs to remember is that they're sister guilds.
    While one was created out of necessity because the other was full, now we have two true legions which consist of the same people, the PAAion people. One guild is a little bit more "hardcore" and the other more "casual" (god I hate those terms), but both have very very similar objectives, players (in fact many people have alt on one or the other legion), and we're all best friends forever, because we're united in our hatred for the Emos.

In Guild Wars, people could unite in guilds, but guilds could then unite in alliances. We're just one big alliance though it's not written officially anywhere. The PAAion channel is the perfect bridge for people of both legions to communicate painlessly.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Anyone who looks at the two legions can clearly see that Elemenstors is the casual choice.

It's absurd and divisive to make a statement like that a week after the game has been released.

The fact is that the Elemenstors is the choice for people who tried to join when the Sorcelators were full. And now that the Sorcelators have opened up an additional 30 spots it will be the choice for people who join the game when the Elemenstors get to 60/60.

There is no hardcore or casual at this point. Please, both of you, stop trying to segregate and label the population after 1 week and focus on getting everyone from PA to swing from either of the two branches of the same tree instead of joining a different legion/server.

The only factors a person needs to consider when deciding which to join are A.) Which legion actually has open spots at the moment and B.) Which legion your friends/acquaintances from the forum are in.

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey hey. Ladies lets stop bickering. Hug it out. Theres some important details to work out.

Now. Prof. Are the Elemenstors going to have Dueling Wangs as a emblem or not? I need to know wether or not to switch legions.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mandres wrote: »
    Anyone who looks at the two legions can clearly see that Elemenstors is the casual choice.

It's absurd and divisive to make a statement like that a week after the game has been released.

The fact is that the Elemenstors is the choice for people who tried to join when the Sorcelators were full. And now that the Sorcelators have opened up an additional 30 spots it will be the choice for people who join the game when the Elemenstors get to 60/60.

There is no hardcore or casual at this point. Please, both of you, stop trying to segregate and label the population after 1 week and focus on getting everyone from PA to swing from either of the two branches of the same tree instead of joining a different legion/server.

Goddamn, I get so mixed up on this stuff, I don't even know how to approach it anymore. I've made an appeal to have Elemenstors no longer labelled as a casual Legion, a notion which has gotten resistance. I'm not inclined to fight anymore for what amounts to a null status. All I can go by is the inclination of the legion's members. I'd personally prefer to not have the Legion labelled, but Costanza says he needs a way to help applicants decide what to join. If he wants to know what the Elemenstors is, all I can say is that it's another PA Legion. If he needs more to go on, he's free to look at the Legion and decide. And I have to say, while I don't really relish the idea of labelling Elemenstors, it's hard to argue with the notion that it is the more casual of the two at this time.
    CorriganX wrote:
    Now. Prof. Are the Elemenstors going to have Dueling Wangs as a emblem or not? I need to know wether or not to switch legions.

Who do you think we are? You think we're children? Pah!

Three wangs. No less.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The problem is that these labels, hardcore and casual, carry a stigma.

If someone asks you the difference, just say "Both legions are very much alike, the single difference would seem to be that the Elemenstors are a little more laid-back and relaxed while the Sorcelators seem to powergame it a little more." That's how I'd approach it, if actual labels (which sound restrictive when you think about it, as it implies that you can only be like LABEL X to join LEGION X) are an issue.

Avoids labels, avoids negative language, shows they're the same and shows the only difference that makes choosing a legion not a coin toss.

Djiem on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stupid 90-player legion caps. They're good for the smaller legions, I guess.

Honestly guys, if this is like other recent releases we'll be down to a single guild by Christmas. I mean there were intensive discussions about elite subunits and shit before WAR and then a few months later the legion was down to a handful of players. Although Aion is less broken, there will still be a lot of drop-off. Plus, no PA launch guild has ever done a good job at defining a mission.

Having read the last few pages, I figure the issue is coming up because the Sorcelators now have room to take more members, as do Elemenstors. So why join one or the other? Is the unified chat channel working, etc?

I finally rolled my Sorc up to level 6 (playing at about 10 fps on my laptop :P) and will look up one guild or the other sometime this weekend. Probably Sorc because I see some names I recognize from closed beta.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Out of curiousity, how is Sorcelators doing space-wise? Is it able to have one of each PA player that wants to be part of a PA guild as an Elyos in Yustiel?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Out of curiousity, how is Sorcelators doing space-wise? Is it able to have one of each PA player that wants to be part of a PA guild as an Elyos in Yustiel?

We have room for 28 people or so in Sorcelators right now.

Djiem on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love that the labels casual and hardcore which are presumed to have a dichotomous (if not casual then hardcore) relationship both have a negative stigma attached.

If they were accurate descriptions of peoples playstyles, then this would not happen: people would identify strongly with one of them and that one would have no stigma.

How about you guys give up this obviously faulty dichotomy and think about it as a continuum instead, (a scale) ranging from "barely logs in casual" all the way up to "the world dissappears when I log off".

Then you can say one guild tends to range on the casual end of this scale but can dip into the "harder stuff" and vice versa.

To put it a much simpler way.

Why the fuck don't you guys just say "x is a predominantly casual guild that on occasion does more serious stuff"
    And "y tends towards the more serious side of the game but this does not mean the members are mouthbreathing mmo worshipers because they are pa people and thus can take a joke or two"

You know, more than one word descriptions.

I probably seem extremely annoyed: that's because arbitrary, ridiculous labels are a pet peeve of mine. It's nothing personal.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I love that the labels casual and hardcore which are presumed to have a dichotomous (if not casual then hardcore) relationship both have a negative stigma attached.

If they were accurate descriptions of peoples playstyles, then this would not happen: people would identify strongly with one of them and that one would have no stigma.

How about you guys give up this obviously faulty dichotomy and think about it as a continuum instead, (a scale) ranging from "barely logs in casual" all the way up to "the world dissappears when I log off".

Then you can say one guild tends to range on the casual end of this scale but can dip into the "harder stuff" and vice versa.

To put it a much simpler way.

Why the fuck don't you guys just say "x is a predominantly casual guild that on occasion does more serious stuff"
    And "y tends towards the more serious side of the game but this does not mean the members are mouthbreathing mmo worshipers because they are pa people and thus can take a joke or two"

You know, more than one word descriptions.

That's what I've been saying, except you've said it better.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    because both guilds are comprised of exactly the same proportion of players who fall on each end of the continuum and all points in between. Just because someone decided to start calling one legion on thing and the other another doesn't make it true. A month from now we may be able to make some accurate observations, right now it's just a waste of time and surefire way to drive a wedge into the community.

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Morninglord, you know all those times I called you needlessly pedantic?

I am so eating my foot over that. You have it nailed, man!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mandres wrote: »
    because both guilds are comprised of exactly the same proportion of players who fall on each end of the continuum and all points in between. Just because someone decided to start calling one legion on thing and the other another doesn't make it true. A month from now we may be able to make some accurate observations, right now it's just a waste of time and surefire way to drive a wedge into the community.

If this is true, then the person attempting to label them needs to stop because he's wrong and causing problems that don't need to be there.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    guys my legion has 90 people in it now.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    hellyea526hellyea526 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so how do i go about joining the sorcelators? my guys level 12 running around in yustiel. and is their a friends list in aion? cuz i couldnt manage to find it or the hotkey for it

hellyea526 on
  • Options
    ParakroParakro Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Dammit. Some friends are trying to get me to play with them in this game and I'm not prepared to buy it without trying it before I make a decision on the game.

Parakro on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hellyea526 wrote: »
    so how do i go about joining the sorcelators? my guys level 12 running around in yustiel. and is their a friends list in aion? cuz i couldnt manage to find it or the hotkey for it

there's a friend's list although i'm honestly not sure how to bring it up either other then do a /who

i could use an invite as well if someone gets a chance. Clutch is lonely.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    By default, 'v' will pull up your search menu which has a Friends tab.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hellyea526 wrote: »

To join the Sorcelators, just apply in the guild forum linked in the OP. One of the officer will add you.

Djiem on
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sigh, 23 feels like hitting a xp brick wall. You need time lapse photography to see your xp bar go up. Should I just stop questing and grind?

Ashdrake on
    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I did all the quests I could, got pissed about xp, then ended up grinding 3/4 of a level at 24 in a lil under an hour. Grinding seems to be much much better than running to and fro for xp from quests.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hm, I've had no problem with lack of quests yet. I'm lvl 24 and I haven't even touched a single repeatable one. The only grinding I do is killing a few mobs on the way to a quest objective, or the ones near a node.

What might be helping is that I keep both my Aether and Vitality skills, as well as three Professions up to snuff. (I'm going to master Armorsmithing and Cooking, and getting Alchemy to 399.) That and I make sure to pick quests in all zones, both rift-enabled and rift-disabled, as well as Pandaemonium.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Grinding IS way more efficient than questing. Questing is here to do between grind sessions so you don't get bored of doing the same thing. It offers new challenges.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It kind of catches you by surprise, because the game seems so quest-oriented, but honestly it's better to look at quests for their potential rewards, especially the Campaign missions.

It'll take a while before it'll be easy to get a group for grinding, since most people want to quest.

The repeatables are really the best quests. For one, there are better odds that you can do them with others. For two, they tend to focus on killing lots of the same monster in a concentrated bunch for a particular drop.

I think questing at level 23 is why I've been burning out. Tomorrow I'm going to try grinding exclusively. Hopefully I can get some people on board for some nice quick hunting XP.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't mind grinding with a group, solo though it becomes a pain to me. Mori i'll join you later again if you want Nicos back and his horrible heals.

I had to start cleaning up the room as I leave in about two weeks so I play and pack when I can.

M.D. on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God damn is Binding Word or whatever for Chanters useless. It has a casting time so your character has to stop to cast it -- during which time anyone flying is likely to either get out of its pitifully small range, or it takes you just as long to catch back up to them bc the snare is crap, so you're better off not using it in the first place...

Is Chanter like the only class in the game that doesn't really have any CC to fall back on? 24sec abilities with 25% chance to stun for 3 secs isn't what I call CC... Not when the highest damage classes (Sorc and SM) have CC that lasts like 12-15secs and can blow you the fuck up in 3 spells.

JediNight on