As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Microsoft Courier: A Booklet-Style Tablet

2»

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I've known of very few people (outside of maybe medicine) who carried around both a cellphone and a pager.

there wasn't a coalescence there, one flat our replaced the other.

Yeah, doctors and drug dealers were the only ones, AFAIK.

That said, it's possible that people will latch onto the idea of a tablet that is a phone that communicates to a headset, your car, your desktop computer, etc... thus allowing for a too big to be a phone, still very portable device to grab marketshare... though I kind of doubt it. People are too tethered to the idea that the phone comes up to the ear when you want to talk to take the concept seriously (for now).

It's also possible that the tablet gets its data access through the phone (wireless tethering), thus validating both's existence for the end user. Also unlikely, as there are many folks who are happy enough browsing on their iPhone/Touch/Zune to not care about a 2-3" bigger screen (or two of them for that matter).

Fucking amazing interface and software aside, I suspect this will be a niche product. I am most assuredly a part of that niche, but it does not change the fact that they have a long way to go to prove mass market appeal and need.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    I've known of very few people (outside of maybe medicine) who carried around both a cellphone and a pager.

there wasn't a coalescence there, one flat our replaced the other.

Yeah, doctors and drug dealers were the only ones, AFAIK.

That said, it's possible that people will latch onto the idea of a tablet that is a phone that communicates to a headset, your car, your desktop computer, etc... thus allowing for a too big to be a phone, still very portable device to grab marketshare... though I kind of doubt it. People are too tethered to the idea that the phone comes up to the ear when you want to talk to take the concept seriously (for now).

It's also possible that the tablet gets its data access through the phone (wireless tethering), thus validating both's existence for the end user. Also unlikely, as there are many folks who are happy enough browsing on their iPhone/Touch/Zune to not care about a 2-3" bigger screen (or two of them for that matter).

Fucking amazing interface and software aside, I suspect this will be a niche product. I am most assuredly a part of that niche, but it does not change the fact that they have a long way to go to prove mass market appeal and need.

I don't know about that

I mean, as has been pointed out, there's a market for net books independently of phones. This might just fit in to the netbook market area, with its portability.

Assuming all new products either have to fit in to an existing up-and-coming market, or else they'll be niche, is a mistake. It IS possible to innovate, still.

Evander on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    Assuming all new products either have to fit in to an existing up-and-coming market, or else they'll be niche, is a mistake. It IS possible to innovate, still.

Being a niche product CAN be innovative, and can still be a success for the manufacturer.

I would consider the kindle/sony ebook reader/etc. to be totally niche, even if they are a success, as I have seen maybe 3-4 total since they launched in the wild (mine included).

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    WANT

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited September 2009

Being a niche product CAN be innovative, and can still be a success for the manufacturer.

I would consider the kindle/sony ebook reader/etc. to be totally niche, even if they are a success, as I have seen maybe 3-4 total since they launched in the wild (mine included).

how about the Wii. rather innovative, but far from niche, compared to the market that just one generation agao Nintendo was struggling for marketshare in.

hell, look at satan itself, the ipod. carryign around a music player isn't exactly the newest thing in the world, but 10 years ago, EVERYONE didn't have a walkman or discman shoved in to their pocket. The popularity of the iPod created what is in many ways a whole new market.

Evander on
    edited September 2009

how about the Wii. rather innovative, but far from niche, compared to the market that just one generation agao Nintendo was struggling for marketshare in.

hell, look at satan itself, the ipod. carryign around a music player isn't exactly the newest thing in the world, but 10 years ago, EVERYONE didn't have a walkman or discman shoved in to their pocket. The popularity of the iPod created what is in many ways a whole new market.
    I agree with everything you are saying.

The only thing I would state is that it is my PREDICTION that people carrying around a book sized device everywhere they go is not going to take off like the Wii or iPod did. That there will be a dedicated, loyal group of fans who will use the shit out of it and MAYBE some day lift it out of niche status through exposure and word of mouth, and multiple revisions down the road.

I will be one of those fans. Shit looks awesome.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As will I, but I think that to get past niche status, they need to, as bad as this sounds, trick the public that this is a good idea. How would you advertise this? As a computer journal? As a replacement laptop? Convincing people of how awesome this is, and getting past the "Why?" aspect is gonna be tricky. I think that's been the Kindle and other E-readers problem. People say, "It's a book reader? I can just buy a book for less!" and ignore the host of other features.

I think once you can get that device (assumeing that it works like it seems to) into people's hands, they'll be converts. The problem is getting people to play with it.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    edited September 2009

I agree with everything you are saying.

The only thing I would state is that it is my PREDICTION that people carrying around a book sized device everywhere they go is not going to take off like the Wii or iPod did. That there will be a dedicated, loyal group of fans who will use the shit out of it and MAYBE some day lift it out of niche status through exposure and word of mouth, and multiple revisions down the road.

I will be one of those fans. Shit looks awesome.

I think we are all in agreement except for the fact that I don't see this as being a device that people are SUPPOSED to carry around with them constantly. I don't see this device as being meant to be carried any time when you wouldn't otherwise be carrying some other kind of notebook (pc or paper)

Evander on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tablets aren't competing with phones; they're competing with laptops.

That seems pretty clear to me. Portability isn't something you can compromise on - you've either got it or you haven't. Tablets don't have it.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd say a booklet tablet like this one has the potential to be more portable than a laptop/netbook. A major factor will likely be it's battery life.

With a laptop you typical have a suitcase style or backpack style bag specifically for your laptop. It holds your laptop, an external mouse, power adpater, whatever else, and then since you're lugging it around anyways you stuff some papers in there because its handy but that's beside the point.

With this I imagine you have it sitting on a table or desk and you just grab it and go. I find that much more portable, just not as unobtrusive as my ipod touch.

And in a way tablets ARE competing with phones. Not as a phone but for mobile internet, sure I'll still carry around my cell phone regardless but I won't have to have the Everything Data plan and the size isn't a sacrifice but a benefit of the tablet, you've got to compromise somewhere and I'd rather have a 7" device that I deem as portable over my cell phone and it's 2-3" screen.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That looks really amazing. I would love to see one of those in action in person. Of course, I wouldn't be able to afford one for quite a while.

unknownsome1 on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If it doesn't get at least 8 hours of battery life no one will buy it.

tofu on
    edited September 2009
    8 hours of standby or always on? I'd take...5-6 hours of total, Always on wireless. I mean, most netbooks have what, 5 hours or so? If it's the same or better than a netbook, then I think the battery life'll be good enough

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited September 2009
    Well, I've found at least one demographic for this.

I was talking with a webcartoonist at SPX today who remarked that, as long as this has the right processing and the right sort of drawing recognition, this would be a great portable drawing option for him.

Evander on
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's quite a piece of technology and I can definitely see it's use in some applications, and as a "toy" (purchased for reasons other than productivity). For me, if it's something I'm putting data into, it has to have a keyboard. I can't stand taking notes with a pen anymore because it's so slow and requires too much attention.

nlawalker on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If they can also market a folding USB keyboard for it for $20 or less, I will buy them both in a damn nanosecond.

yalborap on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BAM

e: Well, it's a little over 20.

e2: Amazon seems to have a few roll-up keyboards for under 20. Not much in the way of folding, though, other than that Matias one.

Cyvros on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a rollup keyboard back with my USB-host Pocket PC (why don't they have that even in the top smartphones anymore? *sigh*). It worked ok, but the virtual keyboard is faster. And really, windows 7 (which is rumoured to be the backbone of courier) really does have excellent handwriting recognition.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm sure it does, but I'm a LOT faster at typing. I'd be cool with tossing in a URL or a couple of sentences for a post with the handwriting, but I need a keyboard for my serious endeavors.

I definitely like this product, though, and I want one badly.

EDIT: And yeah, the Matias keyboard isn't quite what I'd like. Does anyone else remember those ones that they used to make for PDAs that'd fold up in three or four sections, and would fit in your pocket when they were all sealed up?

THAT'S what I want.

yalborap on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you're talking about something like this.

http://www.pocketop.net/

Nostregar on
    edited October 2009
    Heh, what about the little red laser powered projected keyboards? Those would be kinda neat, although I don't know how well typing on a normal surface would work...

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • LetarianLetarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Will we beable to VNC/VPN/Remote Desktop with it - how much access will we have to an OS and underlying stuff?
    I'm really keen on this thing, but I need to be able to do stuff like that if necessary.
    I am guessing it will have exchange support, which is good.

Will I be able to use it like a wacom tablet type thing with my desktop?

Letarian on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Letarian wrote: »
    Will we beable to VNC/VPN/Remote Desktop with it - how much access will we have to an OS and underlying stuff?
    I'm really keen on this thing, but I need to be able to do stuff like that if necessary.
    I am guessing it will have exchange support, which is good.

Will I be able to use it like a wacom tablet type thing with my desktop?

I mean, I'm 100% certain people will figure out how to get into the OS's inner guts and get VNC/VPN/Remote Desktop software working with it, it's just a question of how much hacking (hopefully none) it'll require.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited October 2009
    From what I've heard, they're going to do everything they can to make the OS invisible. I'd not be surprised if the OS was more of Win7 super-ultra light, with just the bare bones of the system. Probaly not able to do much else becides run the Courier program. Of course, I estimate about...two hours before someone's hacked it and put Linux on it. And if MS is smart, they'll encourage it.

BTW, does anyone else think of Y.T. from SnowCrash every time you hear the word Courier, or is that just me?

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's almost confirmed the OS is using Win7. They've shown Live Mesh working on this thing already as well.

Dark Shroud on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    From what I've heard, they're going to do everything they can to make the OS invisible. I'd not be surprised if the OS was more of Win7 super-ultra light, with just the bare bones of the system. Probaly not able to do much else becides run the Courier program. Of course, I estimate about...two hours before someone's hacked it and put Linux on it. And if MS is smart, they'll encourage it.

BTW, does anyone else think of Y.T. from SnowCrash every time you hear the word Courier, or is that just me?

youre not the only one. such a cool book.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This does look pretty neat

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm regretting clicking on this thread because, despite having no need whatsoever for something like this, I now want one
    :(

Amaranth on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It'll never happen, MS hates Linux with a passion. The only reason they support Linux in certain situations is because their paying customers demand it. (like companies with mixed windows/linux environments)

But MS encouraging people to put non-MS OS' on there? The day that happens is the day that David Hasselhoff is recognised as the greatest actor ever.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited October 2009
    Not Encouraging, persay, but allowing the modding community to do what they will with it. I think that could open a lot more possible customers than keeping it sealed.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited November 2009
    And hey, we've some new info on the Courier, mainly stuff about how you would control it. Man...I want it. I wants it so bad...

http://gizmodo.com/5381011/microsoft-couriers-swipes-snips-and-scribbles-the-leaked-interface

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Put music notation software on this and I will buy it in a heartbeat.

SirToasty on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And hey, we've some new info on the Courier, mainly stuff about how you would control it. Man...I want it. I wants it so bad...

http://gizmodo.com/5381011/microsoft-couriers-swipes-snips-and-scribbles-the-leaked-interface

When odd font-spacing and preview images go wrong:

gallery_courierinterface__072.jpg

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Something for the ladies...

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited November 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I will spend all my money on it and not move from the piano for several days if they do this.

I think it's good that Microsoft's decided to cater for more niche markets.

Cyvros on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I will spend all my money on it and not move from the piano for several days if they do this.

If you can only fit one finger in, it's definitely a niche.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

If you can only fit one finger in, it's definitely a niche.
    Thank God. I was hoping someone would be able to find a double entendre in there somewhere.

Cyvros on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has this device been officially announced yet? I can't seem to find if it has.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited November 2009
    I've seen no new info since November 4th, but they're probably laying low through the Christmas season.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png