As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Daredevil: The Thread Without Fear

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What is this silliness?

Lucascraft on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    If you look to the far left of the image, you'll see that's exactly what he is.

I like to think that the cartoon would have portrayed Daredevil as a bumbling, blind, crimefighter that spends most of his time fighting imaginary foes, while Lightning rushed around to pull his ass out of the fire, and nudge him away from hazards. Kind of an Inspector Gadget concept.

like woozy in gta san andreas

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alan Moore actually did a Daredevil story parodying Millar's run. Daredevil was called Dourdevil and gained blindness and a fairly good voice after being hit in the head by a radioactive Ray Charles record. Elektra's counterpart was named Erektra as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the gimmick that everyone knows who Daredevil is--but he never admits to it--is one of the best gimmicks around.

KidDork on
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    I think the gimmick that everyone knows who Daredevil is--but he never admits to it--is one of the best gimmicks around.

That was good, until Spider-man revealed himself in the Civil War Arc.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If Marvel and DC ever do another crossover, Daredevil - the Man without Fear - should meet the Scarecrow. One of those unmovable object/unstoppable force kinda oddities.

(I bet he's secretly afraid of spiders.)

emnmnme on
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If Marvel and DC ever do another crossover, Daredevil - the Man without Fear - should meet the Scarecrow. One of those unmovable object/unstoppable force kinda oddities.

Scarecrow will be quoted as saying , " Your much better than this other guy I fight. I am glad you do not live in my city. "

Doctorstrongbad on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KidDork wrote: »

That was good, until Spider-man revealed himself in the Civil War Arc.

Which they very quickly undid, as we all know. Spidey outing himself simply breaks the character, and....no, will-not-revisit-that-argument.

I still think it works with Daredevil, though. Takes balls to just say 'I"m not him," even though everyone knows you are. And if Daredevil has anything, it's a pair.

KidDork on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Daredevil already has a villain in his rogue's gallery that's basically a carbon copy of Scarecrow. His name is Mr. Fear and he was featured prominently in the arc in which Milla Donovan goes insane. The only difference between Mr. Fear and Scarecrow is the costume. Both use chemicals to cause fear and paranoia.

That arc is among the darkest DD arcs I've read, and I'd say it is the most recent event in the comic to have completely decimated Matt's life. (Again.)

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    really, in that arc mr fear made himself more memorable to me than scarecrow ever has.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    really, in that arc mr fear made himself more memorable to me than scarecrow ever has.

I agree with this statement. Scarecrow has always been kinda lame. Never ever a first tier bad guy.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Your repeated use of the vague term "first tier" enrages me.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    well clearly you're not a first tier poster, then, faynor

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I agree with this statement. Scarecrow has always been kinda lame. Never ever a first tier bad guy.

So you still need to play Batman: Arkham Asylum then?

LockedOnTarget on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that pretty much made Scarecrow a good villain in that game alone. And his part in giving Thomas Elliot a clean bill of mental health in Heart of Hush was pretty cool as well.

There was a Nightwing issue in Dixon's issue that was really good, where Dick got gassed and had this terrible hallucination where he was married to Donna in a loveless marriage in a run down house and dead end job, and lived next door to Bruce and Selina who had this fantastic house and cars, and also lived next door to Penguin (who was sitting in a kiddie pool with ice in it) and Poison Ivy (who was gardening). And Dick comes home early to find Donna cheating on him with Roy (or it could have been Bruce, can't remember).

It's never so much Scarecrow being a good villain it's the response to his gas that is always interesting.

With Mr. Fear they never did that with his gas until recently (as in Brubaker's arc).

Mr. Fear had that story in Kelly's run about setting Karen up for murder, and then that arc in Brubaker's DD that went on for too long (and issue #100 was just a fighting off the gas issue). That's pretty much all there is to Mr. Fear off the top of my head.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    but fear's whole plan and how flawlessly he executes it specifically in that arc is what makes him great. i didn't care about him before that.

i think you're right when you say it's primarily the reaction to scarecrow's gas that's interesting in a batman story. even in arkham asylum, it was all the crazy shit that went down when you were high that was so memorable. once you actually fight it off, well, spoilers ahead, but it doesn't go so great for scarecrow.

fear had a whole completely awesome plan to totally fuck with matt, and it completely works. he totally screws matt over so bad it's practically hilarious. any time a villain executes a revenge plan so successfully, it's pretty badass.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009
    The plan, when finally revealed, was great. I like that no cure ever ever aspect of it. It was just those 8 or so issues prior that just dragged on too much for my taste. I forgot DD was coming out a few months during that time (it's very similar to the current Iron Man arc).

And there really has been nothing big with him outside of that Brubaker arc. I think he did something with fear gas on Gladiator earlier in Denny O'Neil's run, he was nowhere in Nocenti's run that I can remember, I think he showed up in Chichester's run as a joke (there was a DD arc where villains try and steal used fry grease like in that Simpsons episode, not kidding.)

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    well clearly you're not a first tier poster, then, faynor

one day, servo. one day you laugh now, but one day when I have ousted you from your first tier throne, I will be the one laughing!

It will be much like this: :rotate: Hahaha! :rotate:

Faynor on
    edited September 2009
    Change never happens with first tier characters though.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Change never happens with first tier characters though.

That is not always true. Change sometimes happens slowly over time.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    He was making a joke. o_O

Faynor on
    edited September 2009
    It was a play on posters being first tier. See, Servo never gets to change. He's like Wolverine no Magneto no Spider-Man. He might get a new costume every now and then but it's only to boost sales.

TexiKen on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

who

cares

Does every villain need to be a Joker, constantly challenging the hero to push himself further and further to save the day, breaking new ground with how fucking diabolical they are? Does every hero need to be the Fantastic Four, able to fuck up Galactus's shit before breakfast?

No

No they don't

Daredevil works best as a guy on the street, kicking ass and taking names. That's it! You know what he's going to do with an army of ninja? Kick more ass and take the same number of names!

Me Too! on
    edited September 2009
    It was a play on posters being first tier. See, Servo never gets to change. He's like Wolverine no Magneto no Spider-Man. He might get a new costume every now and then but it's only to boost sales.

exactly

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

who

cares

Does every villain need to be a Joker, constantly challenging the hero to push himself further and further to save the day, breaking new ground with how fucking diabolical they are? Does every hero need to be the Fantastic Four, able to fuck up Galactus's shit before breakfast?

No

No they don't

Daredevil works best as a guy on the street, kicking ass and taking names. That's it! You know what he's going to do with an army of ninja? Kick more ass and take the same number of names!

Exactly. It's why you can see What Ifs? like "What if Aunt May was a Herald of Galactus?"

It's a novel concept, but they already have enough problems balancing the god like characters they do have. Making every hero stronger to be more "first tier" or "mainstream" or whatever dumb idea you want to call it doesn't solve problems, it creates them.

Faynor on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

I think Daredevil would work better as a part of cosmic Marvel. He should join the Shiiar Imperial Guard or at least the Guardians of the Galaxy. A fight between Daredevil and Gladiator would be great or to see Matt get possessed by the Phoenix Force would work too.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    That reminds me of when the Beyonder cured Matt's blindness in a Secret Wars II tie-in issue.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    That reminds me of when the Beyonder cured Matt's blindness in a Secret Wars II tie-in issue.

Did he still retain his normal powers?

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    Yes.

TexiKen on
    edited October 2009
    That is lame. Should of been like, " Okay you are not blind. Now you are a normal guy with no powers. Do you choose to see or be a hero? "

Doctorstrongbad on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is lame. Should of been like, " Okay you are not blind. Now you are a normal guy with no powers. Do you choose to see or be a hero? "

That's basically exactly what happened in Justice Society when Dr. Mid-Nite had his blindness cured by Gog.

Hensler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That wouldn't be much of a choice. Daredevil's powers are way better than sight.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    Pretty much. "Do I want to continue my life as an awesome superhero, or be like 'Yo, lady. Yo dress is blue. I see it. Isn't that neat?'"

Faynor on
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Pretty much. "Do I want to continue my life as an awesome superhero, or be like 'Yo, lady. Yo dress is blue. I see it. Isn't that neat?'"

According to the movie, he can almost see with his sonar.

I prefer the comic book version myself.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He could "see" in a comic I read
    I think it was Marvel Knights

Antimatter on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

According to the movie, he can almost see with his sonar.

I prefer the comic book version myself.

have you ever read a daredevil comic?

Angry on
    edited October 2009
    Yes, I have read many of them.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited October 2009
    well, he can almost see with his sonar in the comic as well. he can't see colors, but he knows where everything is.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I imagine he could smell the assorted dyes and pigments to detect relative color.

-I base this solely off the assumption that his remaining senses are written as being so good they're ridiculous.

--I haven't read a Daredevil comic in a looong time.

ManonvonSuperock on