As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flashforward. New show written by writer of Nick Fury and Blade Trinity

• VirsoulVirsoul Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really enjoy watching the chaos after a disaster in a movie/show. The first ten minutes or so after the blackout I was hopeful and then everything seemed to correct itself magically. I wish they had spent a few episodes at least dealing with the major trauma this would thrust the world in to in an event like this.

Virsoul on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like how people are already arguing about all this stupid bs.

So if someone blacks out, the car just goes straight and stops? What if they fall FORWARD and their hands move the will when they pass out. Or if their head hits it and makes it move?

Oh and the car just coasts to a stop? What if they had just been slamming on the breaks? What if they use cruise control 100% of the time on main roads and highways?

Can you guys just accept the fact that if this were to happen, there would be some crazy crashes and people would be killed, without arguing the stupid aspects of how they had to precisely let go of the wheel and stupid point you deem necessary?

No! Cars always stop at the same speeds and they always go perfectly straight!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought it was pretty bad when Harold looks at the other FBI guy and says

"Go find your wife"

Followed immediately by him staring into the camera while running in slow motion to dramatic music. That was silly to the point of parody. I'm kind of intrigued by the concept though despite a couple really bad parts. It could really go either way but I'll keep watching for now.

At first I didn't know what you were talking about because I didn't remember that scene. Then I recalled that I watched this off my DVR and when he started running I hit the fast forward button. At which point my wife looks over at me and says, "what are you doing?" and I reply, "I'm making him run faster so he can get to his wife sooner. Can't you see how important it is to him? Why wouldn't I do this?"

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was wondering about all the damage to the buildings in the show. It seemed a bit extreme. I can see some fires, aircraft and car crashes. So maybe a quarter of buildings would have some damage. Except their far out shots seems to show nearly every skyscraper is damaged. It seems kinda stupid. What else could possibly damage a building? Why so many fires on them? I can see some ground level ones from cars. Maybe some small interior ones from smoke break black outs (but sprinklers will handle that).

Damn good show though.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    I was wondering about all the damage to the buildings in the show. It seemed a bit extreme. I can see some fires, aircraft and car crashes. So maybe a quarter of buildings would have some damage. Except their far out shots seems to show nearly every skyscraper is damaged. It seems kinda stupid. What else could possibly damage a building? Why so many fires on them? I can see some ground level ones from cars. Maybe some small interior ones from smoke break black outs (but sprinklers will handle that).

Damn good show though.

Yeah the building damage had me a little o_O too

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

So if someone blacks out, the car just goes straight and stops? What if they fall FORWARD and their hands move the will when they pass out. Or if their head hits it and makes it move?

So are you not wearing your seat belt? Because if we're talking about stupid people not wearing their seat belts, sure, they will probably die.

Realistically, the vast majority of cases would be collisions with little difference in relative speed, cars hitting the median or other roadside barriers, cars going into ditches, cars possibly hitting trees on those roads that just have trees right next to the road, etc.

Hollywood style shit with cars flying everywhere, shit exploding all over the place, etc is just not realistic.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

So are you not wearing your seat belt? Because if we're talking about stupid people not wearing their seat belts, sure, they will probably die.

Realistically, the vast majority of cases would be collisions with little difference in relative speed, cars hitting the median or other roadside barriers, cars going into ditches, cars possibly hitting trees on those roads that just have trees right next to the road, etc.

Hollywood style shit with cars flying everywhere, shit exploding all over the place, etc is just not realistic.

Who gives a fuck? It is supposed to be an entertaining show. It would be boring as hell if you had a town full of fender benders.

Look on the bright side i'm guessing this show will be slightly more realistic than Jericho "the apple and pie apocalypse"

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love this "my car runs in a straight line when my hands aren't on the wheel" crap.

What if you were turning at the time of the blackout? Eh?

What then, geniuses?

edit: and what if at the time you were driving a tanker truck full of fuel? Hmmmmmmm???

Ender on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »

Damn good show though.

Yeah the building damage had me a little o_O too

I actually pointed this out to my wife. Ok so a couple got hit with helicopters flying low over LA, I buy that, maybe. There were some like 3-6 story buildings with an entire upper floor on fire. I started thinking about my office environment and other typical offices and tried to figure out what would start such a fire in 2:17 if everyone just blacked out. I couldn't think of anything in an office setting that would do it if left unattended. Save for some extremely rare cases with perfect timing, even then I couldn't imagine it spreading like that.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A self-adjusting three-point seat belt doesn't stop you from slumping forward. That's the whole point of a self-adjusting three-point seat belt.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Liked what I saw, but I have to wonder how people passing out for 2 mins caused the top of Big Ben to start burning. There was a hell of a lot of fire because of those 2 mins.

Gumpy on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Adrien wrote: »

A self-adjusting three-point seat belt doesn't stop you from slumping forward. That's the whole point of a self-adjusting three-point seat belt.

Not to mention your removal of the cars drifting into oncoming traffic situation, which doubles the impact speed and damage.

NotYou on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I witnessed a car accident once when the driver passed out for some reason. Due to slumpage ro something, he cut across the opposing lane (not hitting anyone because other drivers were alert and lucky), went down a shallow ravine and accelerated up the other side, shearing off the bumper of my friend's parked car, which flew maybe fifty feet or so.

So a certain amount of car destruction is forgivable, I think. Not to mention that the Fiennes character was in the middle of a car chase when the flash happened, so his immediate surroundings should have been somewhat exceptional.

Buildings burning and planes crashing is bullshit though. People live boring lives on foot and autopilots exist. If anything, things would get immediately more boring inside when people pass out. Mad Max is not a function of mass drowsiness.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It's a goddamn TV show where everybody in the goddamn world passes out at the same time, has a vision of 6 months in the future, and you fuckers are arguing whether or not the carnage was realistic?

o_O

o_O

o_O

:x

Ender on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One point I will concede is the planes. They said something like what...800 planes crashed? I was under the impression than most airliners flew autopilot most of the time except when totally necessary, assuming this should be the case, I can't see how so many planes would manage to crash themselves in those 2 minutes.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One point I will concede is the planes. They said something like what...800 planes crashed? I was under the impression than most airliners flew autopilot most of the time except when totally necessary, assuming this should be the case, I can't see how so many planes would manage to crash themselves in those 2 minutes.

You'd be surprised how many airplanes are either landing/taking-off/doing the thing where they're circling waiting to land at any given time.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The United States probably has around 800 planes landing/taking off at any given moment, or in a position where their current trajectory could be fatal within 2 minutes.

A quick guesstimate puts the number of planes taking off per minute at around 70.[averaging the entire day]. If this was a high traffic time you would probably have around 140 moving on the runway[or close enough, 1 landing, 1 taking off] and 10 times that many coming in or going out which would be in a potentially fatal position for crash within 2 minutes or to be an an uncorrectable position.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

You'd be surprised how many airplanes are either landing/taking-off/doing the thing where they're circling waiting to land at any given time.

Also, small aircraft may not afford these luxuries.

The aftermath seems excessive, but its easy to look past it and get a gist of the show. I am interested in watching another episode to see where its heading.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited October 2009
    Behrooooooooooooooooz

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    So is this worth watching? Whats shows is it like?

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's alright. Needs better writers, though.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So he burned the bracelet. Apparently the writers are reading this thread and are incredibly fast at filming new episodes.

Or, we're just good at predicting.

Also: Pedo foreshadowing!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Behrooooooooooooooooz

Oh god, this is the first thing I though when she showed up.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I liked how they fit in some humour into an otherwise very dark situation, with the head guy's story of giving mouth to mouth. I was laughing :P Otherwise, great episode. Was there supposed to be a 'next week on flashforward' thing? Cuz I didn't see one.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like this show, excited about more.

For the record, in my car, if my foot went limp on the accelerator, I'd be accelerating. Perhaps it's just the way I sit when I drive, but no way is the pedal going to resist the weight of my foot. I think it's reasonable to assume there'd be some carnage on the expressways; I wouldn't like to see what my car would do if I had any decent space to build speed before hitting something.

Rius on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the show ... I just hope it won't be such an eternal cock tease like Lost.

As for the car discussion ... ehm ... taking your hands off the wheel and letting them fall off because of unconsciousness are two totally different things. For your hands to not do anything when falling off, they must be at 9 and 3 o'clock or below on the wheel ... above increases the risk of you turning the wheel. "I took my hands off the wheel and it went straight" ... of course it fucking did, cause you LIFTED your hands up and away from the wheel.

Besides ... who says all cars driving these days are modern ones with all the fancy cruise control and "it slows down automatically"? If this would happen on a German autobahn it'd be a huge pile up and lots of death.

The buildings on fire were a bit much tho. But then again its a fucking TV show and they needed to show the world in chaos ... and nothing says Chaos better than Big Ben and the Eiffel Tower on Fire!

TheBigEasy on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Behrooooooooooooooooz

i love her and was pleasantly surprised at her appearance

Sold

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but there our a few ads for Oceanic Airlines (from Lost) in the show. It's also an ABC show, and for some reason I feel like what happened in Lost occurred in 2010. Lost also ends around the time of April 29, 2010(Assuming they go with 25 episodes from the beginning of January).

My buddy and I FREAKED THE FUCK OUT when they showed Charlie(Dominic something, the guy who pulls off his mask in the upcoming preview, but according to imdb he plays a character named Simon) showed up. Apparently there are 2 other actors from Lost in the show all of three have
    died
    in lost.)

We are convinced that the two shows are intertwined being on ABC, somehow.

Anyone catch any of this?
    So Penny, Charlie, and who else? Also, Penny didn't die... did she? If she did I don't remember it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2009
    No she definitely has not.
    And maybe neither has Charlie

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    His daughter is just going to
    make him another bracelet. That'll hell put on when D. Gibbons kills/kidnapps her in 6 months.
    He's doing stupid shit like putting pictures up in the same place they were in his vision. At least mix them up, stupid. If they're set on putting that on rails major 'dramatic' elements are going to stick around too probably.
    They didn't plan on capturing subject zero for shit. If they wanted him alive what were they going to do if he had a gun just like he did? Then once they KNOW there's someone there they don't surround the building with the dozens of agents they just left?
    Going to get into LOST territory with dragging out mysteries if they keep stuff like that up.

Xeddicus on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    An interesting twist would be if he got rid of the bracelet, switched the order of the pictures, and did a host of other things to derail the future just enough only to later discover that the future he's trying to prevent isn't entirely bad, even if he's probably probably going to end up getting killed. After that, he has his daughter make a new bracelet, arranges the board perfectly, succumbs to alcoholism, and does everything he can to drive his wife away because he knows that he has to.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm gonna give it one more episode but if it's not a significant improvement over this one I'm dropping the show.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He could also just put the bracelet on the other wrist. Problem solved, and he doesn't make his daughter upset.

Shaggy on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know the silly thing, 2/3 of people wouldn't have had a vision! 1/3 of people are asleep during the blackout, and a different 1/3 will be asleep then.

If at least someone doesn't take solid action to prevent the future happening next episode then I give up

edit - Oh, and the 'It's a gift from God' doctor is a real dick.

edit2 - STOP talking to the god damn guy you saw in your dream, you do not need to communicate with him for any reason. If you do not intend to cheat on your husband, stop talking to him.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just watched the first episode. I had trouble getting into it, especially the hospital stuff given that they treated one patient and went home, seeming pretty relaxed the whole time despite the fact that seemingly every person in the city had a horrific car accident simultaneously.

Shouldn't they have been completely overrun with casualties? Hundreds of people being brought in or walking off the street covered in blood and screaming. Shouldn't it have been a horrible 72+ hour shift where they grab whatever sleep they can in between dealing with the injured? It just seemed to be completely incongruous with the over the top devastation earlier. Have the writers NEVER seen an episode of ER? I mean c'mon.

-SPI- on
    edited October 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode. I had trouble getting into it, especially the hospital stuff given that they treated one patient and went home, seeming pretty relaxed the whole time despite the fact that seemingly every person in the city had a horrific car accident simultaneously.

Shouldn't they have been completely overrun with casualties? Hundreds of people being brought in or walking off the street covered in blood and screaming. Shouldn't it have been a horrible 72+ hour shift where they grab whatever sleep they can in between dealing with the injured? It just seemed to be completely incongruous with the over the top devastation earlier. Have the writers NEVER seen an episode of ER? I mean c'mon.

They did seem to have trouble keeping the level of disaster straight.

tbloxham on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »

It's a goddamn TV show where everybody in the goddamn world passes out at the same time, has a vision of 6 months in the future, and you fuckers are arguing whether or not the carnage was realistic?

o_O

o_O

o_O

:x

Goddamn it, why does someone have to come in and say this in every thread about a sci-fi show?

The central premise of this type of sci-fi is that you take the existing world and add a single (or two or three) fantastic events or circumstances, and then explore the logical implications of those.

It makes perfect sense to argue about whether the implications shown logically follow from the fantastic elements.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    You know the silly thing, 2/3 of people wouldn't have had a vision! 1/3 of people are asleep during the blackout, and a different 1/3 will be asleep then.

If at least someone doesn't take solid action to prevent the future happening next episode then I give up

edit2 - STOP talking to the god damn guy you saw in your dream, you do not need to communicate with him for any reason. If you do not intend to cheat on your husband, stop talking to him.

I'm pretty sure the implication is that she's actually considering whether she wants a relationship with this guy or not. I don't think she's as committed to FBI man as she insists.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm pretty sure the implication is that she's actually considering whether she wants a relationship with this guy or not. I don't think she's as committed to FBI man as she insists.

Of course she isn't. That creates bullshit drama, whereas her being faithful is boring. Of course, FBI guy isn't helping either with his stupid "I'm not sure what never means anymore." comments. Very minor Book spoiler ahead, you can really click it. It just illustrates a flaw in 1 character from the book in my opinion, nothing major, but just in case I'm spoilering it anyway:
    So they gave FBI Guy on the show Llyod Simcoe's annoying "You can't change the future" stance in the book. Wonderful. I haven't finished reading it yet because of that, maybe he changes his tune. But it sucks on the show as much as it does in the book.

Xeddicus on
    edited October 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Of course she isn't. That creates bullshit drama, whereas her being faithful is boring. Of course, FBI guy isn't helping either with his stupid "I'm not sure what never means anymore." comments. Very minor Book spoiler ahead, you can really click it. It just illustrates a flaw in 1 character from the book in my opinion, nothing major, but just in case I'm spoilering it anyway:
    So they gave FBI Guy on the show Llyod Simcoe's annoying "You can't change the future" stance in the book. Wonderful. I haven't finished reading it yet because of that, maybe he changes his tune. But it sucks on the show as much as it does in the book.

It just annoys me that the greatest new force on earth would be people desperate, literally killing each to change the future, and yet everyone is just chatting as if everyone has accepted it's going to happen.

tbloxham on