As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] Down to Oxford Branch

simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a differencetoday, a differenceRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Critical Failures
- - -

"For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion."

- - -

"We went west. We went through massive canyons, dryer than they were deep. We roughed mountains, so high they held the angels. We knew fields so long they must've surely circled the Earth their length over. We saw oceans and sinkpits, we drank from His pools, and we felt their cool refrain on our faces. We walked until our horses gave out, and our feet went ragged, and we knew, yet, we were not but a fraction of the road to be traveled, a bead of sweat towards the work that had to be done."

- - -

"There ain't no backing down from your calling, son. You're meant to marry that woman, ain't no way to work around it. You might think you're in love with that other woman, that Sister, but she ain't right for you. She's got sin and blood and demons on her hand, and I'm not goin' to let you throw your life away by sitting down and being taken in by her evils.

You best put that gun down now, boy.

Don't know what you're dealing with."

- - -

DOGS IN THE VINEYARD

dogs.jpg

Dogs in the Vineyard is about God’s Watchdogs, young men and women called to preserve the Faithful in a hostile frontier territory. They travel from town to isolated town, carrying mail, news, and doctrine, healing the sick, supporting the weary, and pronouncing judgment upon the wicked. Sharpshooters, Cowboy-Priests, and Holy Horsemen alike - a town welcomes you with celebration and honor, but what you’re there to do is stir up its dirt and lay bare its sins.

The setting is a fantasy inspired by pre-statehood Utah, the Deseret Territory, toward the middle of the 19th century. Picture a landscape of high mountains, icy rivers and cedar woods, falling away westward into scrublands, deserts, buttes and swells. The summer skies are heartbreaking blue, but the winters are long and killing. "Mountain Men", ancestors of those who properly own this land before it was ravaged from them, maintain an uneasy truce with the frontiers in some places, and outright wage war with them in others,

Picture religious pioneers, fleeing persecution and violence in the East. They’re trying to establish a society based on faith and righteousness out in this frontier. They’ve made the long trek westward but they’re still in danger: their towns are small and isolated, vulnerable to attack from without, sin and corruption within. Under pressure, their pride becomes sin, their anger becomes violence, their resentments become hate. Winter and the demons howl...

You are God’s Watchdogs, holding the Faith together.
- - -

"I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment."
- - -

Cornelius patrolled, shotgun slung over his shoulder, coat rusting about his ankles but not once touching the dust road. He had but two more days before he was due out, after the marriage he was asked to bless. All the mail had been sorted, and his belongings were packed into the small rucksack he kept tied to Bessie's saddle.

He heard footsteps, then, and from the corner of his eye, he saw it - a tall, dark man, standing idle, under hat and coat, no weapon at his side. None that could be seen, anyway.

The Dog kept walking, wiggling his fingers along the hold of his gun. His eyes locked straight ahead to where he planned to call rest before checking the far end of town. He was steel, full and focused.

From his left came a sound: a sort of low, crackling growl, and a hiss, and the tall man who was there was not upright and imposing, but instead hunched over, wringing his hands together... except his hands were dark red, bruised and scratched, long, broken claws jutting from the tips. His face had become a snout, his eyes dark as the night air around him. The demon's long coat ripped open at the back, revealing a ridged, humped spine full of quills.

It ran straight for Cornelius, yet he did not blink - he hadn't the time to, his body whipping around to face thing, firing before he had even come to a stop. The evil beast went flying against the wall of the saloon, ragged holes ripped out of him from the blast.

Yet still it rose back, growling and drooling, and behind Cornelius, he heard the scampering of many a like beast, cackling and whispering. He didn't know how many rounds he had left on him.

- - -

Old_Cross.jpg

Each session is a single town, where the Dogs arrive to deliver mail, perform ceremony, preach wisdom, and, most importantly, deal with any problems that may arise. The Watchdogs have unspoken authority to drag sinners out into the street and shoot them, convert them to the Faith, or try to ease them of their hardships (even if their authority is sometimes challenged by non-believers, or the local Law who doesn't want any trouble in his town).

The Dogs must deal with the sin, they must lay Judgement, but how they do that is up to them: do they preach and speak wisdom? Are they diplomatic? Are they fair? Or will all sins meet the same fate at the end of a gun?

The ethics and moral problems of how to deal with each case are what makes Dogs in the Vineyard so fun to watch. One Dog is out for blood, the other seeks to find a more peaceful solution: how will things resolve?
- - -

"Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss."

- - -

THE FAITH
The whole name of the Faith is the Faith of All Things in the King of Life, Reborn.
The whole name of the Dogs is the Order Set Apart to the Preservation of Faith and the Faithful. Casually, the King’s Dogs or Life’s Watchdogs. Dogs are always called Brother or Sister by their first name: Brother Jeremiah, Sister Patience.
The Faith is the only true religion in the world. All other religions are a) actively demonic, cults created by Faithful leaders fallen into sin; b) corrupt and decadent, like the majority religions of the East; or c) idle nonsense, like most of the religions in the wider world.

TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY
Representatives of the Territorial Authority will generally be either a claims officer or other bureaucrat, or a circuit rider not unlike you Dogs. Only larger towns will have any sort of Territorial law enforcement — a sheriff — but he’s most likely to be Faithful, elected to the job by his congregation. The Territorial Authority’s real concern is that taxes are paid and nobody interferes with the mail — it worries about “keeping the peace” only insofar as lawlessness interferes with taxes and mail.
It’s worth pointing out that the Dogs are authorized by the Faith to do some things — like shoot sinners in the street — that are against the law. Exercise your authority cautiously.
- - -

But all this fluff is useless unless we have some players! You don't need the rulebook: The requisite rules for character creation are below. A good group of Dogs has three members, so that's what we're shooting for - three players. Depending on interest level, I'll extend signups for a while, but they'll most likely close within a week. May the best characters win?

A few points about this game:
- The game itself will be played in PbP format.
- If you want to run your initiation conflict with me on IRC, or even MSN, that's great! I am usually on most nights between 8pm and 1am Australian Eastern Standard time.
- If you want to see how the game will look, in play, I suggest you take a look at my other game of Dogs in the Vineyard on these forums, The Sins of Memphisto.

Some Helpful Things
Antique Guns
Appropriate clothing for the era (and again)
Fiery Words for a Dog to say, from the Book of Life

This OP was shamelessly stolen from robotsunshine's Dogs in the Vineyard OOC thread!

simonwolf on

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CHARACTERS

You play one of God's Watchdogs, called to service in the Faith. You travel between isolated congregations called "Branches" and hold the Faith together. You have a long coat - colorful, beautiful, hand-pieced and quilted by your friends and family back home. It is your badge, a powerful symbol of your authority. You represent Judgment and Mercy on behalf of God, whom we call The King of Life.

Starting characters can be male or female, but are between 18-23. They've had two months or so in training, education, and ceremony to prepare, and they know one another. They are unmarried virgins, trusted to travel in mixed company.

When your character arrives at a Branch and finds a problem, he or she can take whatever steps are necessary, and non one can justly complain. Your character acts on behalf of the King of Life - if anyone has a problem, they can take it up with Him.

Does this mean you can't sin? No. But you're the only one allowed to judge your character's actions. Your conscience is in your own hands - are you a remorseless monster, or a destroying angel? The game can't tell the difference.

STEP ONE: What's your background?
    - Well-Rounded: Your character is straightforward, balanced, and effective, a good choice for men born into the Faith.
    17d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 4d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Strong History: Your character has a good education, lots of experience, or specialized training.
    13d6 in Stat dice, 3d6 4d8 3d10 in Trait dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Complicated History: Your character had a troubled, dangerous, or challenging upbringing. It's a good choice for those converted into the Faith.
    15d6 in Stat dice, 4d4 2d6 2d10 in Trait dice, 5d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Strong Community: Your character is socially adept, and from a strong, caring family. It's a good choice for women born into the Faith.
    13d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 4d8 3d10 in Relationship dice

- Complicated Community: Your character is socially vulnerable, or from a broken or destructive family.
    15d6 in Stat dice, 6d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10 in Relationship dice

STEP TWO: Place your stats
    Divvy up those Stat dice between your stats (don't roll them!). If you had, say 10d6 in Stat dice, you could put 2d6 in one Stat, 3d6 in another, another 3d10 in a third Stat, and the last 2d6 in another.

The minimum for each stat is 2d6, with no maximum.

ACUITY - You are perceptive, alert, educated, clever, savvy, or well-read.
    BODY - You are big, healthy, strong, wiry, muscular, tall, graceful, quick, or steady.
    HEART - You are compassionate, attractive, charming, gentle, courageous, enduring, faithful, or likable.
    WILL - You are tenacious, aggressive, confident, unflinching, strong-willed, or unshakable.

STEP THREE - Traits!
    You get to make these up. Whatever you think would be relevant or interesting to your line of work: Horsemanship is a good one, and so is Preaching and Biblical Lore. But you can also word them to be little tidbits of history, like, "My mama used to read to me from the Book of Life every night before bed" could be a Trait. Or it could be facts about yourself - "I taught myself how to shoot a gun".

Either way, give yourself some and assign your Trait dice to them. You can double up dice as much as you want, but only one type of die per Trait (you can have Horsemansip 1d6 or 7d6, but you can't have Horsemanship 1d6 1d10 or anything like that). If you need some Trait inspiration, write "I'm a good shot" as your first Trait, and then use that to branch out - where did you learn to shoot? From whom? Why did you learn to shoot? etc.

When assigning dice, don't match die size to Traits by competence (higher die sizes are better), but by how important or interesting that Trait is to your character. "I can shoot a can from a mile away 1d4" versus "I'm not sure about my line of work, and I doubt myself 3d10" means that the latter is a lot more important to you, and factors in prominently to how things will unfold.

d4 - such Traits make it more likely you'll suffer consequences in conflicts. Take them as disadvantages, but also as complications: "I'm a good shot 1d4" means that you can shoot, but when the guns come out, your life gets more complicated.

THE RULE - You HAVE to either take "I'm a Dog" as a Trait, or in the next step, take a Relationship with the Dogs. Your choice.

STEP FOUR - Relationships
    Name a couple of people your character has some sort of relationship with and assign them dice (following Trait dice rules above). Don't make many, save the dice for later on in play, when you can make new Relationships on the fly.

Blood - when you meet kin, you get then as a Relationship for fre at 1d6. You can spend dice if you want to change that.

STEP FIVE - Belongings
    Name some things you carry with you. If you decide they need dice, give them to them (as in, do you imagine they'll come up in a relevant way in conflict with other characters? Weapons will, and so may bibles. Use your judgement, but don't worry - you can improvise their dice on the fly if you need to). There's no limit, just what you could reasonably carry with you. We won't get picky.

Dogs might carry books, stationary and pens, a water flask, or other things. They definitely carry their coat, a gun, the Book of Life, a horse, and a jar of consecrated earth,

Giving them dice - give them the appropriate dice if normal.

Normal thing - 1d6
    Excellent things - 2d6
    Big things - 1d8
    Excellent and big - 2d8
    Crap things - 1d4

A good knife 2d8
    Old boots 1d6
    An old, bad revolver 2d4 (1d4 for being crap, +1d4 for being a gun)
    Massive shotgun 1d8 1d4

If the thing is a gun, it gets an additional 1d4 no mater what it is.

Your coat - give this dice, and write down what patterns and colors it has. Most coats start at 2d6, being excellent. Feel free to change that though.

SIXTH AND FINAL STEP - Your accomplishment
    Say something that you have your character accomplished duirng initition into being a Watchdog. (Maybe it's, "I hope I earned the respect of my peers," or, "I hope I learned to solve conflicts without violence," or, "I hope I shook my fear of all things demonic and corrupt." Don't pick something that'll break your character if it goes sour.)

Next, you and the GM (hey, me!) will have a mini-conflict, which will perfectly explain the dice rolling rules of the game to you (if you can tell if one number is higher than another, you can do this). At the end of it, we'll discover how your accomplishment went, and you'll get a new d6 Trait for it, even if it went bad.

HELPFUL RESOURCES
    Your name is going to be Brother or Sister something. Here's some great names, just for Dogs in the Vineyard: http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/projects/names/milk_and_honey2.pdf

BACKGROUND
    By the time you're 12 or 13, your Branch Steward is possibly considering you to be a Dog. The Steward guides and watches you up until about age 17. At 18-20, the Steward interviews you and asks you to be a Dog. You say your goodbyes, pack, and head East to the Dogs' temple in Bridal Falls City. You train for two months, along with about 15 others, depending on the spiritual haul.

Your teachers' goal isn't to make you a Dog - that's your job. They are there to:
    - prove or cull you
    - train you
    - educate you
    - initiate you
    - inspire you,
    and what you do with that is up to you.

Meanwhile, at home, your family and town are busy making your coat. Everyone comes to ceremoniously give a stitch. The condition and beauty of your coat reflects those back home. Afterwards, it is blessed with consecrated earth and a laying-on of hands. Towards the end of your training regimen, you receive mail from home, and it's your coat, along with letters and notes.

You serve as a Dog for about three or four years. Your coat gets damaged, and the communities you serve will repair it or replace it out of respect. This is a typical case, and your Dog's mileage may vary.

Next, you get a route and companions. You return to the Temple about twice annually.

Your duties:
    - deliver mail and news
    - participate in local ceremony or office
    - deliver doctrine or interpretation to the Branch and its Steward
    - preach
    - participate in (but hold yourself away from) social functions and celebrations
    - help out with physical work

It goes without saying that Dogs don't drink (booze, coffee, or black tea - instead, they go for herbal tea or soft drinks), and only old people smoke anyways.

So now you have all that done, what's your character sheet going to look like? Here's an example I whipped up:
    Brother Eli Messenger - Well-Rounded History

Statistics - 17d6
    Acuity - 5
    Body - 5
    Heart - 3
    Will - 4

Traits - 1d4, 4d6, 2d8
    I spent a year in the Territorial Armies - 1d4
    I had discipline beaten into me - 1d6
    I'm loyal to a fault - 1d6
    I'm know how to shoot - 2d6
    I was born in the saddle - 1d8
    I've got a big iron on my hip - 1d8

Relationships - 4d6, 2d8
    The Order Set Apart to the Preservation of Faith and the Faithful - 2d6
    Territorial Army - 1d6

Possessions
    Eli's coat is a brightly-decorated object, covered with patterns put down by his extended family. Although a diverse range of colours are used, a bright, peaceful blue was chosen as the primary motif, reflecting his old cavalry uniform. His old insignia was also incorporated into the design, with the stripes of his rank snaking their way up his arm from the cuff. 2d6
    Colt Dragoon revolver- 2d8 1d4
    A dulled cavalry saber - 1d6
    Archippus (his horse) - 1d6

My Accomplishment
    "I hope I learned to move beyond my army days."

See how easy that was? As you can see, my character has a strong sense of what he can do, as well as where he wants to go in the game, but also leaves a lot of options open for development.

Now you know what a character will look like, here's a blank sheet that you can use:
    Your character's name here!

Statistics - [whatever your history says]
    Acuity -
    Body -
    Heart -
    Will -

Traits -
      Relationships -
        Possessions

My Accomplishment

simonwolf on
      • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Here's how the rules work: Say yes or roll the dice. Repeat that to yourself every second of every scene. Look at what's happening - the cobbler's wife seems unhappy. Say yes, or roll the dice. She's ducking out of service, saying she feels ill. Say yes, or roll the dice. She's been doing this for weeks now.

Say yes (I agree, that is acceptable, it makes sense) or roll the dice (oh-no-you-fucking-don't, I don't want the scene to go this way, it would be better if someone intervened)

You constantly want to move towards the next conflict (conflict, here, means when we roll dice to see what happens). See, here, you don't roll the way you do in say, D&D or White Wolf. If you want to do something, then you do it. Do you see the ambush before it happens? Depends - is it dramatically appropriate? Does the rest of the group care? Say yes or roll the dice. You have the option to interrupt anything, even what the GM says, and force it into a fight. So look for the next possible conflict. Be aggressive! You don't have to roll to see if you can pick a lock, or things like that. It's on a grander scale. Let's look at how to do a conflict, first, and this will make more sense.

There's a problem. Someone didn't say Yes. The GM decided to pick on you. Something's wrong.
        1. Establish what's at stake, anyone can suggest this. The stakes are what the conflict is about, what we're fighting over, what's so important.
          - What's at stake is, does your brother shoot the woman?
        2. Set the stage. Fancy up the scene and get everyone in the mood.
          - Dust swirls around our feet, only to spiral down the road behind me. I've got my finger on the trigger and I'm shaking my head. It's unbearably hot, everyone's sweating. By now, school's out, and the kids nearby are wise that something's up - they're crowding around. The woman's crying, and my brother's pointing his gun straight at her.
        3. Who's participating in this conflict?
        4. Take up dice depending on how you want to enter the conflict (these are called Arenas):
          - We're just talking (Acuity + Heart)
          - Things are getting physical, but we're not fighting (Body + Heart)
          - Fist-fights (Body + Will)
          - We pulled out the guns (Acuity + Will)

You can roll your Relationship dice if the Relation is what's at stake or is your opponent.
        5. Everyone rolls their dice for all to see.
        6. Take turns Raising and Seeing.
          To Raise, say what your character does and put two dice forward. Do something your opponent can't ignore.
          - (dice: 5, 6) I stare him down, not even flinching when he shifts the gun to me. I act like I hadn't even noticed. "Jed. Stop this. You ain't got it in ya, and there ain't no reason for all this. Put it away. I don't wanna have to put my hands on you, but I will if I gotta."

To See, put forward any amount of dice that equals or exceeds the standing Raise (less dice is better). So, the current Raise is 5 and 6 (above), with is 5 + 6 = 11. So you need to put forward some of your dice that equals or betters 11.
          - (4, 3, 3, 2) I see he's not kidding. And, honestly? I don't have it in me. I can't shoot my brother. I couldn't shoot this woman... I won't say it out loud, but I'm afraid. My gun lowers to my side, and I take a few steps back, not wanting to get tackled right off. "Alright, Samuel. Alright. We gotta talk, though, okay...?" I'm almost in tears. "She done me wrong, brother..."
          • When you See, if you can do it with one die, that's Reversing The Blow. You turn the Raise back on your attacker somehow (he swings, but you grab his fist and squeeze, forcing him down; he tells you the King of Life has a place for him, and you remind him how the Steward said Heaven had no place for a sinner such as he). Keep your See die - you get to (and have to) use it for your next Raise!
          • If you See with two dice, that's a Block or a Dodge. Say how you defend against the attack.
          • If you See with three or more dice, that's Taking The Blow. Say how the blow lands and how your charater reacts. You also get Fallout Dice, which will later on change and affect your character, possibly for the worse. You take a number of dice equal to how many you used to See, and set them aside - if the blow wasn't physical, those dice are d4s. If they were physical, then they're d6s. If a weapon was used against you, it's a d8, and if it was a bullet, it's a d10.
          • If you don't want to See, you can Give. This is a pretty standard action, don't be afraid to do it. You lose the Stakes and the conflict, but you get bonus dice for a follow-up conflict! You do NOT Take the Blow or anything, you basically get out of the conflict free, and you don't win it. Take your single highest die and keep it for a follow-up conflict. A follow-up conflict's stakes follow directly from the previous conflict's resolution. You can actually try the exact same Stakes again, but to do so, the number of participants, the location, and the opening arena (Just Talking, Fist-Fighting, etc.) must be different, all three.

Follow-up conflicts and Giving are important parts, and we will all be pushing towards them. Fight with all your heart, but don't be afraid if you need to Give.

That's the structure:
        - Stakes?
        - Stage?
        - Who's involved?
        - Roll dice
        - I Raise, you See.
        - You Raise, I See,
        - etc., until someone doesn't have the dice to See

Also, if more than people need to See a given Raise, that's acceptable. Their Sees are different and exclusive, though - they don't add their dice to beat yours. They beat you separately. And yes, you will sometimes be Raising and Seeing against each other as players!

ESCALATING
        That's all well and good. Let's say we're Just Talking, and I'm about to run out of dice. What I can do is Escalate, and move out of Just Talking into, let's say, Fist-Fighting (the arenas are Just Talking, Physical but not fighting, Fist-Fighting, and Guns). I get to roll my Stats for Fist-Fighting and add those dice to my already standing dice, and of course, the conflict's taken a turn, where we're not just talking, we're actually fighting.

You can only roll a Stat once per conflict, so if an escalation calls for you to roll Acuity + Heart, and you've already rolled Heart, just roll Acuity.

TRAITS AND THINGS
        When you use one of your Traits as a Raise or See, you get to to roll its dice. Same for a Belonging. You can only roll a Trait / Belonging once per conflict. You can keep using in the conflict as much as you want, you just don't get the dice for it.

You roll their dice before putting them forward, and you don't have to use them if you don't like them. You can even use them for a separate See or Raise.

CEREMONY
        You can do neat spiritual things, like Call someone by their True Name (said to summon demon's attention and obedience), Sing Praise, Recite from the Book of Life, or Make the Sign of the Tree (right hand, palm out, shoulder level, fingers wide spread) as part of a Raise or See, especially against demons. It looks badass.

FALLOUT
        Nasty stuff!
        - Roll all your Fallout dice after conflict. Add the two highest together.
        - You'll be presented with a list of Fallout Consequences according to the sum, and you get to pick something to add to your character. Less than 8 is pretty safe, with only short-term damage. More than 8 is lasting harm, bad stuff, and more than 12 is injured. 20 or higher, and your character is dead.
        - Fallout will be dealt with as it happens, since it's not immediately relevant. Just know that it's bad.

Short-term Fallout:
        - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats for your next conflict.
        - Take a new trait rated 1d4 for your next conflict.
        - Change the dice of one of your character’s Relationships to d4s for your next conflict.
        - Have your character leave the scene and spend some time alone. Only choose this one if nobody else launches a follow-up conflict.

Long-term Fallout:
        - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats.
        - Take a new trait at 1d4.
        - Take a new relationship at 1d4.
        - Add 1d to an existing d4 trait or relationship.
        - Subtract 1d from an existing d6+ trait or relationship.
        - Change the die size of an existing trait or relationship to d4.
        - Erase a Belonging from your character’s sheet.
        - Change the description of your coat to include bad damage. Reduce your coat’s dice as appropriate.

Experience Fallout:
        - Add 1 to one of your Stats.
        - Create a new Trait at 1d6.
        - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Trait.
        - Change the d-size of an existing Trait.
        - Create a new Relationship at 1d6.
        - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Relationship.
        - Change the d-size of an existing Relationship.
        - Write a new Belonging on your character sheet and give it its usual dice.
        [/QUOTE]

simonwolf on
      • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I'm in.

kuhlmeye on
        PSN: the-K-flash
      • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I would love to play this game. I just bought the book the other day after reading your Sins of Mephisto thread, Simon. I'll reserve this spot for my Dog. Coming up with the concept now :)

EDIT: And here's my character. Hope he gets in.

Brother Josiah Wolfe
        Strong History -- Your character has a good education, lots of experience, or specialized training.
        13d6 in Stat dice, 3d6 4d8 3d10 in Trait dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

Statistics: Strong History (13d6)
        Acuity - 5d6
        Body - 2d6
        Heart - 3d6
        Will - 3d6

Traits: 3d6, 4d8, 3d10
        2d10: "I was quizzed on my knowledge of the Book of Life ever since I was young."
        1d10: "I'm well read."
        2d8: "My father taught me to shoot when I was young."
        1d8: "I'm a dog."
        1d8: "I've read a little bit on healing people."
        2d6: "My dad's reputation precedes me."
        1d6: "I got in because of pa, but I've proved I'm deservin' of the title 'Watchdog.'"
        1d4: "I'm not physically intimidating at all."

Relationships: 1d4, 3d6, 2d8
        2d6: Brother John Wolfe (father)
        1d8: Relationship with the Dogs
        1d8: Relationship with Steward Bynum
        1d4: Relationship with Eleazar

Possessions
        2d6: My Coat - Patches of dark brown and light brown give this quote almost a checkerboard feel. It hangs down to his boots and over his hands keeping them concealed most of the time (almost like they made the coat too big). There is a verse down the right arm of the coat stitched in red. It reads, "Take good hold of instruction and don't let her go, keep her for she is your life."
        1d6: Book of Life
        1d6 + 1d4: Revolver
        1d6: Jar of consecrated earth

My Accomplishment - I hope to show that I deserve to be a Watchdog (did not get into this because of my dad's reputation).

Background - Josiah was born into a family strong in the Faith. His father is a retired Watchdog and currently resides over his hometown as a Steward. Growing up in that house was not easy for little Josiah. By the time he was five, he was required to recite verses from the Book of Life each night and shoot a revolver proficiently. Unfortunately, Josiah never grew to be very big forcing him to rely on his smarts and gun shooting skills when confronted with danger. As he grew older, Josiah learned a great deal about many different subjects. He spent time learning ways to heal, a lot of time in the Book, as well as many other books to increase his knowledge.

Naturally, as he grew older, his father recommended him for the Watchdogs. John was met with great skepticism because this was his boy and he is so small. However, after much debate, Josiah was allowed into training. Now that he is in, Josiah must overcome the thought that he doesn't deserve to be in the Dogs. That he's in just because of his father's reputation as a Dog and Steward. He works hard to ensure he does nothing to prove those above him right. One day, he will be respected as a Dog himself and not by his dad's name.

robp85 on
        Skard, Shifter Warden
        Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
        edited September 2009
        You're a doll, rob! <3

simonwolf on
        edited September 2009
        Hope that works. Let me know if there's anything wrong or anything I should change, simon.

Thanks!

robp85 on
        Skard, Shifter Warden
        Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
        edited September 2009
        It seems like a pretty decent sheet! My only comment would be that your traits are kinda generalistic, in their feel - they don't seem to reflect your character's history that much, beyond the "My dad's reputation precedes me" one. It isn't a problem, not at all, but it is something to think about, if you're wanting a flavoursome character!

simonwolf on
      • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        edited September 2009
        This is a character I played in a previous (very short lived) DitV game:

Brother Aidan Bloom
        Background: Complicated History

Stats (15):
        Acuity: 5
        Body: 2
        Heart: 4
        Will: 4

Traits (4d4, 2d6, 2d10):
        I'm a good shot: 1d6
        I can play most stringed instruments: 1d6
        I hate shooting at another human: 2d4
        I have a sarcastic, cynical sense of humor: 2d4
        I'm philosophically curious: 1d10
        I rarely talk, but people tend to listen when I do: 1d10

Relationships (5d6, 2d8):
        I'm a dog: 1d6
        Widow Carlson: 2d8
        Brother Christensen: 1d6

Belongings:

My Coat: 2d6 - a simple coat with a large, elegant five-pointed star on the back, stiched with gold thread by the Lady Carlson.
        Standard revolver: 1d6 1d4 - a basic gun, used mostly for putting holes in trees and old buckets.
        Jar of consecrated earth: 1d4 - usually carried in a side pocket or somewhere similarly inconvenient.
        An almost brand-new Book of Life: 1d6
        Daniel: 2d6 - a prize-winning horse, a gift from the Lady Carlson.

Accomplishment: I hope to prove it's possible to do things my way.

Background:

Aidan never felt quite right about his training as a dog, but as he was selected by a well-respected Steward, he accepted it. His philosophical curiosity doesn't fit the Dogs more straightforward views, but as long as he's doing the job he'll act as he's expected -- as long as it doesn't conflict too much.

The Widow Carlson is the most important figure in Aidan's life. A middle-aged woman whose wealthy husband died shortly after they married, she filled a role that Aidan's simple, but loving parents never could: a discussion partner. Aidan's habit of bringing up philosophical arguments had a tendency to get him in trouble in his early life, which eventually led him to stop bringing them up and contributed to his overall refusal to voice an opinion. But Carlson, an old friend of the family, noticed this change and began inviting him over for discussions under the pretext of having him do landscaping for her. This became a weekly habit interrupted only by the most intense periods of Dog training.

Aidan's approach to the Dog lifestyle is largely neutral. He is no fanatical follower, but he's not an insidious subverter either. As long as he's not forced to do anything he considers abhorrent, he'll gladly serve alongside other Dogs to bring peace to congregations.

admanb on
        edited September 2009
        Great. I'll look into that a little more. I figured my first draft would need work :) Plus, work is busy.

robp85 on
        Skard, Shifter Warden
        edited September 2009
        Alright, made some more changes. I'll continue to look into it for a bit. Any help is appreciated. I am definitely new to this game.

robp85 on
        Skard, Shifter Warden
      • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Just to say that I'm interested in this (the other game has looked really good).

I'll read the rules and stuff tomorrow and work out some kind of character thing.

BobCesca on
      • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Brother Eleazar Dunn

- Complicated Community: Your character is socially vulnerable, or from a broken or destructive family.
        15d6 in Stat dice, 6d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10 in Relationship dice

Statistics - [15d6]

Acuity – 4d6
        Body – 5d6
        Heart – 2d6
        Will – 4d6

Traits - [6d6 2d8]

1d8 – “I've learned to stand tall in the face of anger and sin”
        1d8 – “The King of Life has delivered me from evil”
        1d6 – “I’m a Dog”
        2d6 – “I've seen the sins of the Word corrupted”
        1d6 – “Where I come from, you need to know how to shoot, even if you don't want to”
        2d6 – “Nobody deserves to see what I've seen... nobody”
        1d8 - "I've proved my past isn't who I am... I think"

Relationships -[ 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10]

1d6 – Dogs
        1d4 – Amos Dunn - Father
        1d4 - Sister Carmel

Possessions

Coat – 2d6 – Dark red, with white designs stitched in all around, with a white rose stitched on the back.
        Standard Revolver – 1d6 1d4
        Book of Life – 1d6 – From original town
        Consecrated Earth – 1d6

My Accomplishment
        I hope I can show that my past isn’t who I am

Background
        Eleazar grew up in town that wasn’t fit for raisin a child. On the border of Faithful Territory, they had allowed themselves to corrupt the Word. The town had become infamous for terrible behavior, and his father was no exception. Beatings were a normal occurrence in the Dunn household and many others in town.

One day the Dogs came to town, and purged that city of sin. Eleazar saw that as a sign from the Lord, and begged the Dogs to take him with them. They did, and delivered him at the next town on their journey. That was the day Eleazar swore he would become a Dog.

Despite bein in a “foster” town, the people there took care of him, and took him in as one of their own, but the onus of his background was still placed upon him. It’s something he has always wanted to escape, but it follows him where he goes.

Woo! Let me know if those Traits are ok Simon.

kuhlmeye on
        PSN: the-K-flash
        edited October 2009
        Rob: Your changes make him so much better as a character. Instead of being an all-around "yeah I can do everything pretty well" character, he's now very much a book-learnin', talking-not-fighting kind of guy. Which makes him a lot easier to portray as a character, in my opinion!

admanb: Thanks for the submission!

Kuhl: I think I have the same comments on your character as I did on Rob's first one - it's a good enough sheet, but I'm not seeing a lot in it that reflects your character's awful upbringing. The King of Life has delivered him from evil, that's a good start - but what evil has he seen? How has what he's seen fucked him up, in his own special way? Does his blood run cold every time he hears false doctrine? Does he not want to see children go through the same terrors that he does? These things make your character a much stronger person to roleplay.

simonwolf on
      • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
        edited October 2009
        The best trait I have ever seen on a DitV character was:

"I've seen a Demon." - 1d6

(I will be watching, but not playing. I need to put aside some time for a PbP game.)

Kay on
        ew9y0DD.png
        3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
        edited October 2009
        I suggest you put it aside for this one.

In regards to "awesome traits", I think out of the characters I have played, there are two traits I made which stand out in their ability to come up in most situations and be useful without seeming to be "gaming" the system too much:
        - "My hat stays on." - 1d10
        - "My foot keeps falling asleep." - 1d6

simonwolf on
      • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
        edited October 2009
        ooooo
        /interested

fadingathedges on
      • jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
        edited October 2009
        Experience Fallout: increase the number of dice of one trait by one.

My hat stays on - 2d10

jimninja on
        0198ec55.jpg
        edited October 2009
        Do you have any idea how useful that trait was to me?

That Dog absolutely loved that hat.

simonwolf on
        edited October 2009
        Thanks for the help with the character traits, simon. I'm liking Josiah more and more :)

robp85 on
        Skard, Shifter Warden
        edited October 2009
        No worries, Rob!

I just have a dislike for people making characters who work by the formula of "Can shoot" + "Can fight" + "Can ride" + "Dog" = character formula. Part of the fun of the game is making characters who are human, and have their own personal strengths, weaknesses and beliefs.

Then you watch as you're forced to choose between admitting you're a liar, or shooting a pregnant woman in the head.

Bonus Prize: The first person to name the song the town is named after will win a prize.

simonwolf on
      • streeverstreever Registered User regular
        edited October 2009
        This game looks cool and Simonwolf is cool for running it
        Nathaniel
        "Well-Balanced"

Acuity 3d6
        Body 6d6
        Heart 6d6
        Will 2d6

Traits
        "I don't think it's right to shoot a man" 1d4
        "Girls have always gotten real shy around me, but I'm not sure why." 2d6
        "I once hurt a man, real bad. He was trying to hurt my sister." 2d6
        "I became a Dog because the King told me to." 2d8

Relationships
        Blood-sister, Althea 1d4
        Stewart Elijah, 2d6

Possessions
        A calm horse, large & easy going 2d6
        White coat, simple and sturdy, but very well made, with a heart symbol where his own is. The sticthing and cuffs are also lined with red, and the buttons are red. On the back, the Tree of Life is embroidered. 2d6
        Book of Life--from home 1d6
        jar of consecrated earth 1d6
        A long rifle, of excellent quality, and very heavy to aid in aiming 2d8+1d4

Initiation
        "I hope I learn to act more decisively."

Background
        Nathaniel is a big guy with good looks and a simple heart. He's always felt devoted to two people: his sister and the King of Life.

His life was mostly free of problems, until the day he found his older sister in bed with a stranger. Not realizing she was there of her own free will, he attacked the man, knocking him unconcious with a single blow from a broom and snapping the broom in two.

After that Stewart Elijah recruited him, and resolved to keep an eye on his sister. Nathaniel isn't too quick on the upkeep, but he doesn't really like the eye that's been turned on her.

streever on
      • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
        edited October 2009
        Recruit me, plz

INeedNoSalt on
        edited October 2009
        Streev: Good times! I think we should change your Dog trait, though - it's meant to be the trait that defines you as a Dog, not why you became one. Maybe, "I'm a Dog because the King wills it so"? I also think it'd be interesting if you added one more trait, somewhere - seperate the two elements of the "I hurt a man real bad"?

INeedNoSalt: Where's your Dog, boy.

simonwolf on
        edited October 2009
        simonwolf wrote: »
        Streev: Good times! I think we should change your Dog trait, though - it's meant to be the trait that defines you as a Dog, not why you became one. Maybe, "I'm a Dog because the King wills it so"? I also think it'd be interesting if you added one more trait, somewhere - seperate the two elements of the "I hurt a man real bad"?

INeedNoSalt: Where's your Dog, boy.

I made one for another game and I didn't get to use her. Give me a bit and I'll dig her up.

INeedNoSalt on
        edited October 2009
        Wow. Quite a few recruits applying for this game, simon. Looks like you've got yourself some choices.

robp85 on
        Skard, Shifter Warden
        edited October 2009
        Sister Charity

Complicated History (15d6 Stat, 4d4, 2d6, 2d10 Trait, 5d6, 2d8 Relationship

stats
        acuity 4d6
        body 2d6
        heart 4d6
        will 5d6

traits
        aint the first time ive shot a man 2d10
        not unpleasant to look at 2d4
        i can cook a mean steak 1d4
        im a (vicious) dog 1d4
        "Behold, the King slayeth the wicked..." 2d6

relations (3d6 1d8)
        daddy 1d8
        aunt julie 1d6

equipment
        fancy pistol 2d6+1d4
        shotgun 1d8+1d4
        book of life 1d4
        horse 1d4
        coat* 2d6

i hope my character proved herself through violence

history etc

Sister Charity didn't find herself in the hands of the Faithful until she was ten. Before then, she lived alone with her daddy, and the pair were fairly nomadic. Daddy taught Charity all of the things he thought were important for survival out and about (or what he could, anyway, teach a ten year old.) Mostly, he taught her to hunt and shoot, and he taught her things he thought were important for a girl in the world, too. She knew how to cook what her dad killed and she could sew well enough.

Daddy brought Sister Charity to one of the small branches of the Faith after a skirmish had left her wounded. The pair had set upon a band of horseback brigands (although her daddy didn't know Charity'd taken the initiative to get involved until too late.) That was the day Charity first killed a person, and the day she took her first bullet. It wasn't the last time she did either.

Charity's daddy leased her into the care of the branch's people, who saw to the wound. Some of them thought it was a miracle that she hadn't died outright, and Lord knows Charity's daddy prayed night and day for her recovery. The event was enough to spark Charity's daddy into real religious faith, and they were taken into the town proper. Charity's daddy took up place in the town as a Deputy, as a good shot and a man who understood what needed to be done; Charity fell under the care of a Steward, who saw to it that she grew up a faithful and righteous individual.

And fortunately for herself and her congregation, Charity grew up to very faithful and very righteous. Unfortunately, maybe, she also grew up forever scarred by the events of her first murder. Charity took to the Book of Life with fervor, embracing it entirely but favoring aspects of the book that many cast a blind eye to. The Book of Life says, "Slay him, for the King hath delivered him into thy hands," and Charity will never forget that.

Sister Charity carries a bit of gear with her. As a Dog, this isn't unexpected - she expects (and is expected) to get into situations where maybe things don't go great. Toward that end, she keeps a few things on-hand; the pistol she was given by the Order for exploding those who falter in the King of Life's eyes, as well as the shotgun she used when she first excised a sinner from his mortal body. She carries her Book of Life with her everywhere she goes, and it has become worn over time. Unlike other Dogs, Charity doesn't go to lengths to keep the Book in any sort of good shape; "Book of Life oughta live," she says.

Sister Charity's horse is also a pretty bedraggled specimen. It's old and was never an excellent horse even in its prime. Still, Charity likes it, and refuses to find a 'better' horse. "Bartleby's got character," she says. "Nothin' a horse has got beats character."

And Sister Charity always wears her coat, a long, dull thing of excellent craftsmanship. Sister Charity is a convert to the Faith and her daddy is her only family; fortunately for her, he's a wellrounded individual; still, he made her cloak almost single-handedly, with only minor input from the women of the community. The result is a long, charcoal-shaded coat with vibrantly colored stitches and patches from the men and women of the congregation that took Charity in and helped her find her pave her way into the Order. She knows where each and every stitch is on her coat, all of them standing out against the grey contrast of the coat itself, and she can name the friend who put it there.

Whamph

INeedNoSalt on
        edited October 2009
        robp85 wrote: »
        Wow. Quite a few recruits applying for this game, simon. Looks like you've got yourself some choices.

I'll be closing the signups on Monday, in my time! I will pick three from there.

Now is the time to send me bribes/brides.

simonwolf on
      • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        edited October 2009
        robp85 wrote: »

I'll be closing the signups on Monday, in my time! I will pick three from there.

Now is the time to send me bribes/brides.

Russia's finest is on the way!

admanb on
      • streeverstreever Registered User regular
        edited October 2009
        I mostly apped too cos you were short on interest/players: please feel free to turn me down if you have some people interested who aren't in other pbps! I am in THREE right now.

streever on
        edited October 2009
        Long PM is long.

fadingathedges on
        edited October 2009
        streever wrote: »
        I mostly apped too cos you were short on interest/players: please feel free to turn me down if you have some people interested who aren't in other pbps! I am in THREE right now.

how dare you, sir

I am actually really fascinated by this sudden surge of interest in the game - when I started recruiting for Memphisto, I was struggling to get more than two people to write up characters. It was kind of ridiculous! But now I have too many people, and I kind of need to cut a couple bitches up. You might have to wait for my next game, "Honkeys in the Ghettomobile".

"Yo yo yo, whatchoo doin' with my wimmenz, honkey?"
        "Chill, brau! They be servin' me an' the King of Life... in my pants!"
        "Word."

simonwolf on
      • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
        edited October 2009

"Yo yo yo, whatchoo doin' with my wimmenz, honkey?"
        "Chill, brau! They be servin' me an' the King of Life... in my pants!"
        "Word."

do all the characters have to pick complicated community

being from the projeks

summeryclept on
        edited October 2009
        You can choose between "Complicated Community" or "Complicated History", with a caveat that anyone in the latter category has to split all their initial relationship dice with all their siblings.

all twelve of them

simonwolf on
        edited October 2009
        Recruit me

INeedNoSalt on
        edited October 2009
        Recruit me

Where are my bribes/brides

I better make this as an actual announcement.

Recruitment for this game will end at 00:00 on the 5th of October, Australian Eastern Standard Time.

figure out what time is for yourself, suckas

EDIT: I forgot to mention, kuhlmeye won the "what song is this town named after" contest! He successfully determined that it is named after Bob Dylan's song, 'Oxford Town', from his album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. Congratulations, kuhlmeye, you win something maybe I guess.

How much does the song relate to the town's content? You will have to find out in due time!

Oxford Town

simonwolf on
      • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
        edited October 2009
        So, despite really wanting to do this, I'm just not going have the time to do a character and read through stuff due to having been ill the past couple of days and now having to catch up.

BobCesca on
        edited October 2009
        BobCesca wrote: »
        So, despite really wanting to do this, I'm just not going have the time to do a character and read through stuff due to having been ill the past couple of days and now having to catch up.

You goddamn son of a bitch.

I mean, perfectly understandable! Character generation for this game can be a little awkward, if you do not know what you are doing/haven't done it before. That is just how this awful game works!

a little under eleven hours left

my loins are a-quiverin' with excitement

simonwolf on
        edited October 2009
        a little under eleven hours left

whoah, glad i'm mostly done and happened to check this... what part of the world are you in Simon? 11 hours is what we call "sunday" around here.

fadingathedges on
        edited October 2009
        Recruitment for this game will end at 00:00 on the 5th of October, Australian Eastern Standard Time.
        Australian Eastern Standard Time.
        Australian.

simonwolf on
        edited October 2009
        CONVICT!

fadingathedges on