As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rank's sketchdump - two new pieces p10

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dear god I thought I'd be scrolling until I died. Some good stuff in there rank, the odd lazy drawing interlaced there though, but all up pretty good. Your cartoony stuff seems to be your strongest suit.

Mustang on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    geesh. I really love your dogs and rabbits. As well as that mustache guy

Leggraphics on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    dogs was thumbnails for animation assignments

rabbits was thumbnails and stuff for a character design

mustache guy was another character design

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rank man, I hope to see you in class this coming fall.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    you're going to digipen???

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to try dammit.

Showing up for the tour on June 12th with my portfolio in hand.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited April 2009
    you'll get in no problem

oh man that is fucking fantastic news

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2009
    I thought it was hard to get in there... for some reason.

But yeah, I'm excited.

Tonkka on
    edited July 2009
    so I had to do a skeletoon, where you figure out the skeletal anatomy of a cartoon character

so here's what Hello Kitty would look like if you fed her to flesh-eating beetles

HelloKittySkeletontransparent.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited July 2009
    this is the Chrysaor, son of Medusa, brother to pegasus

chrysaor-transp-1.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    You are improving at lightning speeds, sir.

That is quite excellent, but the wings don't really look attached. They should probably be lower to match with the shoulder blades because it looks like they're coming out of the top of his spine. Also, they don't really look all that useful since there's no muscle structure or beef to where they're attached to his body.

bombardier on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Also, why is the head not casting a shadow? I demand head shadow.

also also totally agree with bombs 100%

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    So I need some critique

for my final for my digital painting class, we were given a really terrible scifi story to produce a visualization from, either an illustration or a character or environment concept art piece or what-have-you

I decided to go the 1930s pulp sci-fi cover route and have the pencils done, below:

Interloper_Pencils01_th.jpg

there are rough spots, especially her left hand. The top is empty for the title, but overall the composition is fairly strong and I like where it is headed, but I'm at a critical point right now where critiques and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, it's amazing how much you've improved in a year.

Also, I never thought I'd see Kevin Rudd as a space marine.

Flay on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, even if the idea is the shoulders are being raised in a cringing action, she could still probably use a bit more neck. The upper torso is also pretty wide relative to the hips. It might be also worth redesigning that left elbow, either simplifying it a bit or adding indications of the forearm muscles would connect- right now it's confusing in terms of foreshortening because the line that ends by indicating the bicep tendon comes in front of the forearm line, making it appear on first glance at that area that the forearm is actually heading backwards rather than forwards in space.

Paintover- probably lost the gesture intended and went for a more confident sort of pose, but whatever. All I really wanted to get across was trying to push the hourglass shape of the body, giving her a neck, and using connecting rhythms from one breast to the other to get a more sort of graceful look, rather than just having them indicated by single curved lines along the bottoms of them, or as just separate spheres added onto the ribcage. Also simplified the upper arms a bit- trying to keep in muscle indications while at the same time not going so far as to make her look man-style ripped is right now just coming across more as bumpiness, and the area could benefit from a simpler treatment.

rank_girl.jpg

You might want to look at Gil Elvgren's pinups (NSFW) for this sort of thing; not exactly the same genre of work, but he had painting pretty girls down flat. Good person to study for how to simplify the body shapes. (Though he does give everyone really pointy nipples and sometime physics-defying clothing and that stupid puckered-lip "ooh" face, so watch out for that.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited July 2009
    wow, bacon, thanks a ton, that's good stuff

unfortunately, I've already started laying in a lot of the color work, but I'll see if I can't incorporate some of your thoughts. I've been collecting feedback from a number of folks, and it has been very helpful. I'll post some progress shots once I'm a bit further along.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited July 2009
    here's the final version of the colored piece

Interloper_Final.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like it.
    Maybe lighten up on the halftone texture overlay though?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited July 2009
    I'd say the texture is too low res to match the arts, it's really bothering me. Apart from that though I really like it.

Mustang on
  • PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I feel like her head is connecting to her neck a little awkwardly... like there should maybe be some sort of shadow (or just a mark) separating her cheekbone from the flesh of her neck. Am I way off on that? I don't know. I might be.

Either way, looking very nice.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
    edited September 2009
    so I'm working up this drawing from a 20 minute sketch I did in class, and I'm getting kind of stuck. I think I fixed an issue where the legs were too long, but the lighting and the foreshortened anatomy is eating me up. Any feedback would be great - the sooner, the better, because this is due at noon tomorrow, heh.

WIP.jpg

I need to start working up the environment - probably a stone floor with sunlight coming in through the window behind her, helping direct the focus.

Thoughts?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It looks like a skinny person wearing a fat person's skin.

rts on
    edited September 2009
    I was thinking a 90 year old transvestite with silicon implants.
    The rendering is neat though, got some good depth there.

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    gee, thanks.

anyway, whatever. update of progress.

wip2.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So Rank, do you still do any traditional animation, or are you pretty much done with that aspect of your art?

I could give you some good advice on the subject if you have any questions.

Godfather on
    edited September 2009
    Rank I think the issues you are having are the feet, other than that it really looks good.

Tonkka on
  • valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a fellow DP student, I approve this thread. Crit time! :D

I think your contrasts are to harsh in a lot of places. Especially in the breasts- they look glued on. Try taking your kneaded eraser and soften up some of that harshness. Make the value flow into other values instead of having a sharp transition.

I also agree with the comment about the person looking probably older than they are. Soften up those ribs a little. Don't define the calf that much, unless this person's a body builder. Same thing with the arms- under the arm is darker than the groin right now. A lot of that harshness can be helped out by dabbing your kneaded eraser on it. (I am fond of these erasers!) If the lighting is that dramatic be sure to tell us by filling in the background a little. Take some charcoal to the background and make it look as realistic as you can.

All in all though I think you're doing awesome. I dig the perspective. There's some stuff wrong with it but I'm not good enough at perspective to help you there. I like how you blocked in the background. Your proportions are mostly good too- I think the torso might be a bit long, but they're mostly good. Keep up the good work! <3

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
    edited October 2009
    So for my animation projects class I had to build a maquette of the character I'm animating.

I built the basic form in around 4 hours, then spent around 14 hours yesterday and another 4 today finishing it up.

Here's the result.

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2009
    Very nice Rank. I love the gesture and expression. If I'm reading this right, this is a mad scientist having a mad scientist laugh (?), in which case, the hands detract very slightly from the expression- they're too smooth and relaxed looking. Something more angular, maybe even gnarled looking would be better.

But if it's not a mad scientist and a little lab assistant looking up and saying "I have no idea where the affront to nature you made yesterday went, sorry" or something else, then not.

I don't know what material that is (sculpey?), but if you can smooth out a few planes a bit more, I think it would benefit.

Something about the main body of hair doesn't fit- maybe because of the difference between the texturing of the eyebrows and the smoothness of the hair.

Tam on
    edited October 2009
    yeah, that's the exact idea, I just couldn't really get much more into the hands, especially considering how I tend to draw them and how they're built on the model sheet.

I'm going to try to sand down some of the rougher areas once it bakes, these pictures I took before I baked in case something bad happens in the process.

I'm extremely nervous about baking, this is my first real attempt at anything using super sculpey. It should be okay, I'm baking it as if it were 1/2 inch thick, its just a really large piece with quite a bit of variation in the thickness - some of the belly areas are very thick, due to underestimating the armature. I ended up using over 3 pounds of the stuff for this piece.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2009
    Damn. Good luck.

He looks like something from the 90s era cartoons. The notches on the top lip especially. You get any inspiration from that?

Tam on
    edited October 2009
    we were given model sheets and characters at the beginning of the year. Very little of this is my own design - the texture of the eyebrows and some fine details were my idea (design of the teeth, things like that), but I'm mostly building to a pre-determined character, as a method of really learning the shape before I spend all year drawing it and trying to animate it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2009
    Oh I see. Is this standard procedure in most animation schools? I think Veretas had to do something similar.

Tam on
    edited October 2009
    likely

teaches you the general workflow and how to work on a team and such

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2009
    Makes sense. I keep forgetting how much of a coordinated effort animation is.

Tam on
    edited November 2009
    two new pieces

this one's done, just needs thickening of the border. Couple spots I might touch up if time allows, but otherwise this one is put to bed. Black india ink and white acryllic ink on heavy red paperstock, about 18x24

555dbb71.jpg

this one is in progress, obviously. Black and white charcoal pencil on heavy light blue grey stock, 18x24

b77e7cec.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lots of great stuff since I was last on here. Clay work is fantastic!

Guy Bell on
    edited November 2009
    oh man, really loving the first one.

Tam on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    god that is classy as hell, dude
    you are a number one superstar

mully on
    edited November 2009
    here's the finished state of that last one

e091e848.jpg

still got some issues, but I ran out of time, so it is what it is. Happy with the result, but there's plenty that could have been better. Cest la vie.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png