As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Survey On] Planetside 2

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The expansion was nothing like what the players asked for.

I remember the "Ideas" (or whatever) forum had some brilliant stuff that could have been added to the game. A major one was urban combat, which I assume is where CC came from. It was pretty terrible though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    beamerhanksbyradant7py.gif
    kanedanceyo7.gif

Planetside was an incredible game. So many memories, and so many friends. If you knew where to look the community was truly spectacular. It's a shame to see the population drop so harshly recently, as the last two servers just got merged together. I wish I could do my part and join the fight, but i haven't the time nor money right now :(.

Here's hoping Planetside can retain it's charm, feeling, and originality for this sequel!

Technology equals might, brothers!

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As much as I would love to see a true Planetside sequal, unforunately, it's Sony. So at this point, all it is this;
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As much as I would love to see a true Planetside sequal, unforunately, it's Sony. So at this point, all it is this;
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Does that thing have a tail?

Sparvy on
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I loved being a Galaxy Pilot early on in the game. People actually needed you to get to the fight, and man, if you were good, you could ferry people right into the thick of shit, get them stuck in, then bug out and bring the thunder from above. Haha, one of my favorite memories was being chased by a Mosquito through a base, and flying under one of those bridge sections. He didn't judge it right and *SMACK* No more Mosquito :P

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Does that thing have a tail?

It's a horse. Horses have tails. o_O

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In that picture it really looks more like an Alpaca or a Llama or something. Chalk it up to distortion but there ya go.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it look like a kangaroo.

Sparvy on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do people actually still play this game?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited October 2009
    Do people actually still play this game?
    I haven't played for a year or so, and even that was only for a couple months. When I was playing, the pop was very reduced. Enough to fill a continent, but anyone who couldn't get on that continent was kind of screwed.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The biggest problem for me was also the lack of a real meta game. On the one side I love the simplistic FPS mechanics and the lack of grinding, but on the other hand I got pretty bored with just throwing myself at enemy bases without any real sense of long term character development. The game would be great with a new engine, tighter hit detection and expanded gameplay.

X3x3non on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If the game is only 5$ we should make a PA Outfit :mrgreen:

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Last I checkd the game was free to purchase and play, granted you were limited in how high of a level you could reach.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Draeven wrote: »
    Last I checkd the game was free to purchase and play, granted you were limited in how high of a level you could reach.

Looks like it is $5 and I can't find any mention of a monthly fee on the site...but that doesn't mean there is or isn't one really.

Inquisitor on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can get a 14 day trial by making a new sony station account thing.

BlueDestiny on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

That ended a few years ago I think.

Morkath on
    edited October 2009
    Playing the trial is bringing back many memories. Bangbus runs, random shots sploding me while stealthed, jacking a BFR while the gunner was in it along with an AMS several tanks and a few aircraft, messing with the NC by hacking base equipment while they fight the TR, and I even got a few hate tells! Just like the good old days...

BlueDestiny on
    edited October 2009
    I think I forgot to mention how much I loathe the NC. How much I hate the tank with the most armor and biggest gun, the MAXes with fuckyou shields, the heavy assault gun most suited to close combat in a game focused on it, but the Phoenix has to be the fucking worst. OH HEY I CAN THREE-SHOT A MAX WHILE HIDING IN A STAIRWAY BETWEEN TWO DOORS AND A FORTRESS WALL. Once they get dug in all they have to do is wait until both empires get bored of being ground into paste.

BlueDestiny on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I loved planetside

loved it

the in-game events that happened when that one big patch came out, with the meteors raining down on big battles, were so cool. There'd need to be a persistent story with stuff like that for me to be happy. And a sort of keep-control system like they had in DAoC, where guilds could claim a keep and upgrade it and such.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That was the reserves system and it's been discontinued (which was a mistake imo, but I'm not paying for the servers so whatever :P )

Have a BR25 CR2 and a BR17 on NC Emerald. I was in Praetorian Guard last time I played but it's been over a year so I've probably been purged at this point.

I'd be down for playing again once I get my video card replaced but I probably wouldn't do anything other than NC. Too hard to give up the extra certs by starting over :P

HappylilElf on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So there is a monthly fee for this again? Man, I just can't justify a monthly fee for a game this old.

Inquisitor on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is but I think it's like $5.

Which is kind of annoying as someone who uses game cards because I'm pretty sure a game card is still only 1 month.

HappylilElf on
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh man, I remember playing that with my friends in the beta. We had squads of 9 MAX suits with one stealth engy/hacker for support and called ourselves the Armored Kittens. A whole squad of MAX suits rolling over a hill and half of them planting down for the Minigun support is brutal while the other half advanced. The stealth engy opening the way into the bases while we just rolled over the infantry.
    My personal favorite memory was going on at a base with about 12 people holding the control center while another 50+ held the rest of it, people calling in on the channels for ANT drops and listening to the Galaxy dropships fly by as a couple squads landed on the roof and attempted to break our iron grasp on that control center. I was a adv. medic/adv. engy combo, the only person keeping everyone alive in the CC... when I ran out of juice to repair or heal! I send a tell out to the local people that I need this part, and one guy drops everything in his pack and starts scavenging for repair and medic juice while a MAX covers him. He was able to grab everything I needed and head back to the CC when he was caught in the crossfire between our MAXes and the assaulting squads, he was able to make it to the door's threshold while I get as close as possible to his pack without getting shot and grab the materials I needed and keep everyone alive until the aggressors finally stopped and we held the base.
    My outfit was 31337, and held the top third ranked outfit on our server with only a tiny fraction of the people in the top two ranked outfits.

I would be all over a Planetside 2. Day one.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think a PA outfit would be fun and could work. I mean, planetside is kind of old but it still looks pretty nice and it's still fun, and who knows how long it might take for Planetside 2 to come out?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I remember in the beginning everybody thought the Terrans were overpowered because their MAXs could shoot like a million bullets. Then everybody thought NC was overpowered because their triple shotgun was devastating up close. Last time I checked, which was awhile back, everybody thought the Vanu were overpowered because of their rocket MAXs and tanks that can go over water.

Jombalaya on
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, Planetside. BFRs sealed your fate...

As did repetitive content, close-ended leveling, the implementation of the lattice, Surgiles, among other various bullshit.

Exploitation of netcode mechanics is more what killed this game than anything.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    the vanu were overpowered because of their stupid jerkface heavy gun that could kill you if the bullets kind of sort of flew near you, maybe they brush against the shoulder of the guy next to you or something, too bad you're dead sucka'

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Man Kooleagle and I had some good times in this game. Running around in Mag's raping infantry and aircraft alike. Always loved those cocky reaver pilots who would hove right in front of me to spam missiles, only to find themselves on the recieving end of a rail slug throught the crew compartment.

I think what I loved most was the whole combined arms aspect of the battles. Something I hope they build on.

oh so much fun.

Magrider for life.

i have all my vehicle driver certs for running people over, i think they were vehicle citations haha

Vanu = the coolest of all people

Terran Republic = pretty awesome, especially with how their bullets looked in my magrider

New Conglomerate = you suck. i hate you.
    please die in a fire.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can't call yourself a man until you've taken down a MAX solo with some ap rounds and that standard shotgun.

IvanIssacs on
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I liked the introduction of the lattice, as well as everyone else I knew who played did. It stopped the "musical chairs" or "whackamole" style base captures that made everything feel even more futile than it ultimately was. Before they implemented that, we would just have our stealth scout skeeter over to a base, hack it, and wait the couple mins for the rest of us to arrive to cap the base, and move on. Most bases were not even being contested because while we were capping one, they were just hacking ones elsewhere.

Last time I played it was the Vanu who were overpowered with the Lashers that were just BFGs from Quake 2, rediculously powered.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BioHaz594 wrote: »
    I liked the introduction of the lattice, as well as everyone else I knew who played did. It stopped the "musical chairs" or "whackamole" style base captures that made everything feel even more futile than it ultimately was. Before they implemented that, we would just have our stealth scout skeeter over to a base, hack it, and wait the couple mins for the rest of us to arrive to cap the base, and move on. Most bases were not even being contested because while we were capping one, they were just hacking ones elsewhere.

Last time I played it was the Vanu who were overpowered with the Lashers that were just BFGs from Quake 2, rediculously powered.

Agree on the Lattice thing. People who think it wasn't a good idea should look into something called masturbation, it might be right up their alley.

As for the Lashers, the issue was less with the weapon itself and more with the fact that every fight necessarily devolved into an ugly cookie-cutter indoor corridorfest. All the heavy weapons were supposed to be short-ranged, the Lasher was no exception: it couldn't be used at long range because it was easy as shit for somebody to just sidestep. However, if your targets are in a goddamned narrow hallway, you can just fire down it and hit them no matter where they are. So you get to use your powerful close-range weapon long before anybody else can... yeah, that's an advantage.

Better base design would've alleviated the issue, I feel.

Garthor on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want another game like Planetside, can someone get on that .. like now.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited October 2009
    People who complain about the Lasher.. I wonder if they actually tried using it that much. It is damn hard to hit anything with such a slow projectile. It was a while before I had the skill to use it properly. Yeah in a straight corridor it can lay out a pretty formidable wall, but so could a chaingun. And even then it is more of a deterrent for anyone who is not an idiot. Even in a basement room or the like, you constantly have to lead strafing enemies. Both TR and NC heavy weapons are point accurate.. and don't even get me started on Jackhammers indoors..

Personally, I never felt like PlanetSide was "futile". I could care less if someone retakes a base I captured (unless I just captured it, then they can expect me to fight for it). I enjoyed each fight as a standalone battle to be won. The overall war was more of a backdrop than an objective, for me. I mean it's unwinnable. You need to accept that from the start. That doesn't mean there isn't victory in claiming a hard-fought base, or even crossing a bridge some of the time. Even if you like a larger goal, taking a continent is no easy feat.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think taking a well defended tower was prolly one of my most favorite things to do. Just the simple fact that it took you 30 mins to even breach the mass of people was amazing.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think taking a well defended tower was prolly one of my most favorite things to do. Just the simple fact that it took you 30 mins to even breach the mass of people was amazing.

Haha! Yeah, towers were a surprisingly tough nut to crack.

I loved Planetside, but could really only play it for about 3-4 weeks before I became bored with it. Then I would wait a couple months and get back into it.

Here is a pointless list of things I would like to see in my dream Planetside 2.

Each base having a unique layout.
    This for obvious reasons. Maybe even have them looking unique, though that isn't too important to me.

Outfits being able to capture bases.
    Maybe even grant some kind of bonus to the controlling Outfit. Though one base per outfit.

No instanced continents and instead a large open world.
    If this is actually possible it would be nice, it would let actual fronts open up in the war.

Limit the number of Certs a player can get.
    This would force players to be a bit more specialized. I picture this applying more to the vehicles and not the guns/armor (MAX suits falling in the 'vehicle' category).

How about the Warhammer 40k license?
    Duh.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    This would force players to be a bit more specialized. I picture this applying more to the vehicles and not the guns/armor (MAX suits falling in the 'vehicle' category).

I feel this is the wrong choice. If you want to specialize people, then make them specialize short-term, not long-term. Long-term specialization just results in frustration when you face up against whatever it is you are weak against and have absolutely zero recourse. However, if you force short-term specialization, it allows people to actually make choices.

For example, consider that closed-cockpit vehicles required you to be in Agile (read: shitty) armor. If you wanted to pilot a heavy vehicle, you were specializing in that because if you ever had to get out of the vehicle you were then more vulnerable. Similarly, the inventory system: if you want to carry a heavy weapon, it was difficult to also carry a sniper rifle and an anti-vehicle weapon, due to inventory constraints.

If you want to force more specialization, then you need to simply increase the cost of changing your short-term specialization. IE: respawning at forward bases (AMSes) would always equip you with your last selected loadout, and the inventory panels could only be used to refresh it. If you needed a new set of equipment, you'd have to return to a base or a tower. Hacking enemy inventory panels also would only allow you to reload, not to select a new loadout.

That's not a great example. A better choice would be a wider selection of specialized weaponry and a limit on how much of it you could carry. You were specializing for this fight, but could change up for the NEXT fight if so desired.

Garthor on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Garthor wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

That's not a great example. A better choice would be a wider selection of specialized weaponry and a limit on how much of it you could carry. You were specializing for this fight, but could change up for the NEXT fight if so desired.

Actually this is more along the lines of what I was going for.

Back when they had that free year you could only get so many Certs if you didn't subscribe. However you got enough Certs to take care of your infantry load out, but for vehicles and MAX suits you had to pick and choose. Luckily in Planetside redoing your Certs didn't cost anything at all, but you had to wait 24hrs (I think) before you could redo your Certs again.

Something like that is more like what I want, where you still have to specialize in vehicle choices (tanks, aircraft, light-armored vehicles) but if you wanted to switch it up and do something else you could, you'd just have to wait for the next day to switch it up again.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You could write pagelong essays on how to improve Planetside. And people have.

Here's hoping Planetside 2 will be something special.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2009
    If you wanted, you could write pagelong essays on how to improve ANYTHING, and people HAVE :lol:

Here's hoping Planetside 2 is just as special as Planetside, but this time it gets more appreciated for it. (which isn't to say I want the same exact thing, but I loved Planetside, and I wouldn't change the formula, just fix some things up)

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I disagree strongly. Now, I have only played the 'old' Planetside back when it launched for about 5 months, so maybe it's an entirely new game today, but the game had serious and deep flaws. There's a reason it tanked hard after having a decent initial player influx.

The essays I was talking about would specifically detail what was wrong with Planetside, and all the dumb decisions they made early on in the game. The expansion was just an exclamation mark on the ignorance of the developers and how they didn't really know how to give Planetside what it needed (I know I come off sounding like a prick here, but the developers really did ignore players back in the day, don't know how it is today) - and the players responded by leaving the game. Most of the fun I had in Planetside happened in spite of what the developers chose to do with the game. The least fun parts for me were cramped and zerged base battles (which the developers put a lot of emphasis on in the beginning) and the most fun was had around bridges, towers and open land (no focus from the devs at all).

But, maybe that changed after I left? I hope so.

So yeah, I'm hoping we see something new conceptually, to be honest. Planetside was good fun, but it got old pretty fast, it was flawed and anyone should be able to see that it could have been much better.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg