As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    SlantySlanty Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    I just got this, anyone play on Nezakan?

Yup, Elyos side

Slanty on
    Your sig was spammy. Don't be spammy. Things might happen.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thank god for shift f12. main cities really need separate channels

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yay, hit lvl 20 on my Templar. Really liking him now. Had my first tanking experience in the Tursin camps and was able to hold aggro well with a couple of mobs. God some people are retarded though, look at me a sorc who will just attack the mob with a 2 on its head and yell at the tank and healer when I die.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PranasDipper.jpg

I'm never getting rid of this [strike]dipper[/strike] mace! Time to scoop some Elyos brains!

aunsoph on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think they gave as much polish to higher level content..

cherubim.jpg

That XP is all wrong! It needs an extra 0 on the end; I get like 12,000 or more for one mob!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know most Elemenstors don't read the sub-forum but do read this one, so here's a crosspost:
    Elemenstors is growing faster than we could have dreamed, and we're about 4 members away from the Legion limit of 60! To allow thirty more toons in the Legion, we need to reach Level 3.

Level 3 requires 20,000 contribution points and 1,199,000 kinah.

As of this post, we have 1,754 contribution points and there is 106,000 kinah in the Legion Warehouse.

Corrigan has generously volunteered to have his Abyss-ready toon from Sorcelators spend some time as an Elemenstor to help us reach the contribution point goal. This means we'll be reaching the necessary contribution points for Level 3 Legion status much sooner than expected, but it also means we need the kinah that much faster.

I'll be putting every spare kinah I have into the Legion Warehouse to aid this process. However, I won't be able to do it alone. If you wish to contribute kinah to upgrade the Legion, please put your donation directly into the Legion Warehouse.

As always, donation is not mandatory in any way. However, I ask that you refrain from withdrawing kinah from the Legion Warehouse at this time, as all contributions are perceived to be intended for the Legion upgrade.

Thank you.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have not done any prolonged testing but I set my toon to craft some pots then went afk to eat and watch a movie.

I must have been away from the keyboard for 2hours, the crafts could not have taken over 1hr30mins.

Does being in the craft window stop you being afk? I'll let you know when i test it again.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Louie wrote: »
    I have not done any prolonged testing but I set my toon to craft some pots then went afk to eat and watch a movie.

I must have been away from the keyboard for 2hours, the crafts could not have taken over 1hr30mins.

Does being in the craft window stop you being afk? I'll let you know when i test it again.

How are you doing this without constant button clicking? Just making a fuckton of one pot?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just completed purchasing this game on Steam. now downloading the wonderful 11.5gb fun. ETA on completion 6 1/2 hours.

I'm a CST/CDT fellow. Any of the particular guilds/servers that would favor my time slot?

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Just completed purchasing this game on Steam. now downloading the wonderful 11.5gb fun. ETA on completion 6 1/2 hours.

I'm a CST/CDT fellow. Any of the particular guilds/servers that would favor my time slot?

I think any of the servers would be fine. Guild-wise, despite some of the bickering that's taken place I'm not sure there is actually any difference in them currently beyond size and dick waving. I'm sure things will get more distinct as people hit max level and actually decide what is fun for them to do in the game. You can then pick a final guild to settle down in.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

How are you doing this without constant button clicking? Just making a fuckton of one pot?

yeah - i was burning off all the theonian I had into healing pots. It was only 100 crafts though.

What is the kick time set at - iknow it's 30mins for shops so surely it's roughly the same for afk?

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I think any of the servers would be fine. Guild-wise, despite some of the bickering that's taken place I'm not sure there is actually any difference in them currently beyond size and dick waving. I'm sure things will get more distinct as people hit max level and actually decide what is fun for them to do in the game. You can then pick a final guild to settle down in.

Indeed. Right now, both guilds are pretty similar, and they share a chat channel, so you won't miss anything by joining either.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You may miss wangs on cloaks. The elemstors are clearly up for wangblems

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Until the GMs tell them to change it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    My chanter (Taizong on Yustiel) is now level 24, so it's Abyss time soon. What moonstones should I focus on for PvP? I've been mixing +parry and +critical hit, seems to give some noticeable return on the investment.

Teth on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

Until the GMs tell them to change it.

I'll let you know when White Goodman and Ron Burgundy stop showing up on legion cloaks on our server :P

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

yeah - i was burning off all the theonian I had into healing pots. It was only 100 crafts though.

What is the kick time set at - iknow it's 30mins for shops so surely it's roughly the same for afk?

It's definitely over 30 minutes - I've crafted 400 pots at a time and/or 500 ignots at a time, and it was still going a couple hours later without kicking me. Did you maybe run out of materials?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn 45k for each soul heal and my manuals next skill level vary from 60k to 115k each and all I seem to get for drops lately is recipes. ><

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Patching. NCSoft Downloader noticeably more slower than Steam. More on this at 11. Now back to you Bob.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I was reading that the fire temple has some sweet loot drop potential. I just hit 29 and pushing to 30. sorcelators/elemenstors need to start farming fire temple it seems :D

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Patching. NCSoft Downloader noticeably more slower than Steam. More on this at 11. Now back to you Bob.

Here in euroland both where blightingly fast.

Of course, the fact that steam gave me the NA version (in korean!) which didn't work was sort of a letdown.

Still, I pulled the client in about 25minutes.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For those of you wondering about AFK time I can confirm that just by standing around doing nothing you won't be kicked for inactivity after 4.5 hours.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Edit: Since there haven't been any replies yet.

Taking a break. Just became a Templar. Chillin' at the Sanctum now.
    Where does one become a practitioner of the various skills? I seem to be gathering lots of items and I have no idea how i might use them.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, what does Aion offer best? I'm considering rolling a Templar because tanking is fun, or maybe a chanter, and possibly a Cleric but I'm not sure. Is the pace of these characters significantly worse than Assassins? Will I have a shitty time leveling, or can I play with a friend? Is there much group PVE content? If so, is it good?

Also, is healing...Stressful? I've always liked healing, but I find healing in WoW to be so panicky that I just don't have fun doing it (so I tank or DPS instead). But I liked healing so much in Warhammer because nobody took too much spike damage. Is the damage players take more similar to Warhammer, or WoW, where I can lose a tank to a boss or a friend to another player if my connection locks up for a second?

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm sure you guys have gotten about a million of these since the game opened what with WOW dominating these forums...BUT

I'm thinking of trying Aion but I want to tell you guys what I like best in the main MMO I've played, WoW, and see how you guys think I will go.

I tend to like melee classes best, especially ones who are heavily armored. I don't enjoy PvP grinding all that much, though I do enjoy fighting other players. I LOVE PvE content, mainly large scale PvE. And I also enjoy the odd bit of questing, though I usually tend to get frustrated when quests are long or difficult to figure out, I am not a puzzle person.

Does Aion offer anything for me?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    From my experience - only up to 23.

THe game bombs along nicely up to 20 - quests are kind of grindy at times but it doesn't really detract from the fun.

I am currently in the 20 - 25 slump where you are forced to grind (someone will inevitably turn up and claim they quested through to 25 with no grinding but this is my experience) which kinda sucks.

I am really looking forward to 25 - you get to do instances (well 1 a day but it gives mega xp) and there is tons of open world pvp. The pvp doesn't seem to be grindy ala BG's from what i have been told.

Iam unsure on mass pve content. I know the 6 mans are there all the way from 25 - 50.

As an ex end game wow raider it is quite a refreshing game to play. I play s Warlo... Spirit Master. You would want to pick a DPS warrior (Gladiator) who is supposed to be the aoe dps class but seems to do just fine in single target damage as well.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    20-25 is really slow on questing. You can do krall untill like 21-22ish if you really want to grind elites, but its horrible. I found grinding from 24-25 much much much much faster than doing quests for xp. Once I got to 25, I found the instance very enjoyable. Its easy mode, but its an intro instance, and its a change of pace from grinding and questing.

The abyss pvp is fun, but really you need a small group. Solo pvp ends with you getting zerged hard by about 5-6 people. With 4 of us we were able to kill a hell of a lot of people and had a good solid 90+ minutes of fun pvping.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i definitely respect louie's opinion since i'm pretty sure his WoW activites were similar to mine

is there a free trial?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    not yet. You just have to take a risk with it.

I really loved warcraft and it has sucked me back in a couple of times but that was after AoC and WAR failed to deliver. I saw that icecrown was on the ptr and i didn't immediately start plotting a return so for now AIon has me. We will see if endgame can hold my attention, thought the rate i'm going that may be a long way away!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm sure you guys have gotten about a million of these since the game opened what with WOW dominating these forums...BUT

I'm thinking of trying Aion but I want to tell you guys what I like best in the main MMO I've played, WoW, and see how you guys think I will go.

I tend to like melee classes best, especially ones who are heavily armored. I don't enjoy PvP grinding all that much, though I do enjoy fighting other players. I LOVE PvE content, mainly large scale PvE. And I also enjoy the odd bit of questing, though I usually tend to get frustrated when quests are long or difficult to figure out, I am not a puzzle person.

The PvE feels as "tacked-on-after-the fact" as the arenas felt in WoW. It's very tank and spank, very simple straight forward. The bosses in dungeons rarely drop ANY loot , as in it's very very common to loot a boss and there is nothing and I don't mean nothing useful, I mean as in there is nothing there to loot.

Granted I am only level 37 but I have run fire temple from level 31 through 36 , for 8 hours at a stretch and it gives about a 1/20th of a level per run , and I have seen 3 caster necklaces drop total.

I can understand people calling bullshit on this one , I wouldn't believe it either coming from WoW myself but yeah , you run an instance , you clear the trash , you kill the Boss and it drops...nothing most of the time. I don't know what awesome game this idea came from but apparently it's a totally awesome idea destined for greatness.

No there are no "Phases" No "enrage timers" , no "dps checks" , no "resist fights" , shit what do you expect when the boss drops ...not a goddamn thing.

If you are looking for a new game to reset your DKP on or something this isn't it.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The thing is - it's a korean game up to 45 - the 1.5 patch added new end game instances designed to appeal to western audiences. The instances before that can't be used to judge what the game will be.

However if i run endgame instances and that shit happens then i probably would leave.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if game developers should design dungeons so that players expect to get more fun than loot out of it.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well ideally a good mix of fun challenge and loot. What i want to see in dungeons is boss encounters that can't be outgeared, i.e some type of mechanic that you have to do correctly as a group otherwise you will fail.

No one really cared about the mehcanics in wotlk 5 mans - you just inevtiably burnt the shit out of all bosses and survived.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The main AoE DPS character in the game is the Gladiator. It's a Plate armored warrior with a 2-handed weapon that goes spinning, leaping, and slashing all over the place. Straight up melee, and it's a powerful DPS because it's right there in the shit. It also ends up with a bit of danger in playing, because you are right there in the shit. Unlike WoW caster classes, these guys are the one that run up to the enemy while other are trying to stay away. And as a switch from WoW, Casters can only really target one enemy at a time instead of being the end all be all mass DPS AoE class that they are.

PvP in this game is fun though. It's not a bunch of fucktards running around Alteric Valley looking to get into a scramble away from all the target locations. Because those fucking idiots get MURDERED. You and a team go looking for trouble, for war. You find other groups or solo wanderers and get into a fight. It's less like PvP, because that is generally singular. This is Gang Warfare.

There are no Battlefield in the game either, but there are Castle Sieges. There are fortresses that provide tacit bonuses for player sides when they own them. Actual badass buffs, cast worldwide. But you have to take it. With floating mines, sentrys, repairing doors, siege equipment, and a castle lord, it is one giant battlefield. And once you take a castle, it's safe...for a while. But you'l eventually have to defend it.

PvE content is pretty much like every other MMO. But what goodtimes is saying about the Instances is misleading. The dungeons are more interesting than he describes them. At least the later ones. The final boss in the later dungeons, the ones for the 1.5 patch, change depending on how well you did the instance. Clear it fast, thorough, and got all the bosses? You are gonna face Megapwn, Lord of the Smackdown! Do the bare minimum, take your sweet time on the pulls to make sure there are no complications, and avoid the hard bosses? You get Clyde McGlassjaw, the Stable Mucker for a final boss. And your rewards vary depending on the final boss you face.

Oh, and there are rarely spikes in damage dealt, unless there is an assassin who gets a critical hit. That stuff is harsh. So healing is easier on the Cleric/Chanter.

And the quests have build in Location Finders. having trouble finding a Quest object? Press locate. Quest mob keeps getting killed? Locate will find you the closest one on the map. It's very handy and cuts the running in circles time way down.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I only killed some of the Black Claw bosses, including the Chieftain, and did a half-assed run through Lava Caves so far on my Cleric.

Lava Caves was Ragefire Chasm, the insectoid version, and it was all Tank and Spank. Absolutely nothing interesting, and awful drops. As in, a couple of bad Greens and one White. Nothing more.

Black Claw was actually more interesting, and the Chieftain at least had some AoE and Status Effects.

Looking forward to the Training Grounds though. I heard it's fun.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so how do you get superior results in crafting? just luck?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    so how do you get superior results in crafting? just luck?

From what I've read, there's a base chance of crit'ing a recipe while you're crafting each one, and the chance increases the higher you are over that recipe's level.

So, a combination of luck, creating several pieces of the same item to increase your chances, and of course, being over the item's profession level.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    alright, wouldn't have guessed being over the items crafting level. thanks

now if only some cool green designs would drop for me

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jesus, fucking Altgard never ends. Just finished Crushing the Conspiracy and Suthran is like "HEH THANKS GO KILL SOME MORE CATBROS"

fuck you suthran, i'm going to Morheim

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hate you guys so much for making me google wtf "tank and spank" is supposed to mean. I can't decide if knowing the meaning makes the expression itself sound slightly less horrible, or even more retarded D:

But back on topic now that my chanter has hit 20 i'm finding quests pretty much impossible to do except in the middle of the night. 20+ people competing for an uncommon drop from two or three mobs + another 10-15 people waiting for the npc you give the item to to spawn seems to be the norm, and naturally that npc has a 10 minute respawn timer and disappears as soon as one person talks to him :cry:

I guess i'll follow the advice i've seen posted, say to hell with quests and start grinding

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin