As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good anime movies/shows to show to a girl who is a fan of Joss Whedon and Doctor Who?

TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to introduce anime to a girl that I'm seeing. She likes Firefly and other shows Joss Whedon was involved with, as well as Doctor Who.

I'm thinking of showing her Ghost in the Shell and maybe Cowboy Bebop. I'm looking for something serious, without the standard anime cliches such as teardrops and bloody noses.

EH28YFo.jpg
Taranis on

• WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cowboy Bebop is always a good choice. If she doesn't mind some violence and slight gore, Darker Than Black is one of the better anime I've seen - granted, I don't really watch a whole lot.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ghost in the Shell is pretty brilliant, though it is violent.

Appleseed was always a favorite of mine as well.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How about Haibane Renmei?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If she's interested in classic sci-fi, you might want to consider Crest of the Stars. It's very much an anime version of the old sci-fi stories. Could be worth looking into.

That said - although I haven't seen it yet (The mega cheap boxset doesn't release unitl monday) - I've heard Cowboy Bebop likened to Firefly a number of times and everyone says it's good. I doubt you'll go wrong with that.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Outlaw Star is basically what Joss Whedon ripped off of for Firefly, according to some folks.

It's a decent anime as well, with the exception of having a hot springs episode.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everything should have a Hotsprings episode. And personally I'd say Firefly wasn't so much a ripoff of Outlaw Star, as much as a live-action amalgamation of Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun.

Samurai Champloo is a remarkably solid, well written and humorous Anime set in 19th Century Japan, and just so happens to be made by the same people as Cowboy Bebop. I would say those two are your most solid choices, though I won't claim to have close to a solid grip on everything that's good out there. You may also want to explore Excel Saga, though your mileage may seriously vary with that one.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, the series, is fantastic.

virgilsamms on
  • sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd also recommend Ghost In the Shell, as well as PlaneteS, possibly Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop.

sirchrissypoo on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd say Trigun is pretty good to start on. It was my first real anime, and I definitely enjoyed it. It can be over the top, and the first half of the series leans more toward humor, but then it takes a dramatic shift about halfway through. I think it's a good one to start an anime newb on.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cowboy Bebop is about as close as you can get to an anime Firefly.

Tav on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joss Whedon shows are more about the characters, and a touch of cheesy humour.

I would avoid anything plot heavy that doesn't really focus on the characters. Something with a little bit of camp would be perfect.

exmello on
    edited October 2009
    susan wrote: »
    Everything should have a Hotsprings episode. And personally I'd say Firefly wasn't so much a ripoff of Outlaw Star, as much as a live-action amalgamation of Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun.

Samurai Champloo is a remarkably solid, well written and humorous Anime set in 19th Century Japan, and just so happens to be made by the same people as Cowboy Bebop. I would say those two are your most solid choices, though I won't claim to have close to a solid grip on everything that's good out there. You may also want to explore Excel Saga, though your mileage may seriously vary with that one.

Samurai Champloo is indeed excellent and does mix humour and seriousness as well as anything Whedon has ever done.

Be very wary of Excel Saga. It's not a series for anime beginners, which is what your girlfriend sounds like. There's no question that it's a great series, but unless you're really familiar with the in and outs of Japanese society, culture and TV (including anime), the large majority of jokes will go right past you without registering. And God help you if you can't handle watching something without any plot whatsoever, because Excel Saga has no truck with anything resembling a plotline until the last few episodes.

And speaking of the last few episodes, take care with the last one if you do decide to watch Excel Saga. I've never seen anything else that pushes so far past the acceptable boundaries of taste... and I've watched Urotsukidoji and Puni Puni Poemy.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    So I'm trying to introduce anime to a girl that I'm seeing. She likes Firefly and other shows Joss Whedon was involved with, as well as Doctor Who.

I'm thinking of showing her Ghost in the Shell and maybe Cowboy Bebop. I'm looking for something serious, without the standard anime cliches such as teardrops and bloody noses.

Akira mofo

If she doesn't like Akira she isn't worth knowing

Princess Mononoke

Rent on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Akira and Ghost in the Shell are a little crazy to start someone new on anime with.

Cowboy Bebop has the problem of never having been topped; like, if she sees that, and expects all anime to be that good, she's in for a very deep disappointment.

Anything by Miyazaki is going to be a good choice, I think.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Akira and Ghost in the Shell are a little crazy to start someone new on anime with.

Why do you say that? Ghost in the Shell is basically the Matrix except better, and Akira is a sort of future 1981-ish movie

...With tentacle monsters...

Oooooooooh, I get it now
    Cowboy Bebop has the problem of never having been topped; like, if she sees that, and expects all anime to be that good, she's in for a very deep disappointment.

Man, I just don't get the love for Cowboy Bebop, it never did it for me, like at all

Of course my favorite manga (really the only manga I read at all regularly) is fucking Negima so obviously I have no taste

Oh I forgot- AzuMangaDaiOh!

Best fucking anime of the ever

Maybe she'd like Death Note? The manga was aces, I dunno how the anime is

Rent on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Death Note anime is pretty fucking badass, if she can get over the fact that the main character is a soulless bastard. Which is awesome.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember Witch Hunter Robin being kind of Buffy-ish. I think the name is self explanatory really.

Jayricho on
    edited October 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Oh I forgot- AzuMangaDaiOh!

Best fucking anime of the ever

Maybe she'd like Death Note? The manga was aces, I dunno how the anime is

Azumanga Daioh is a bit far off from the references that Taranis gave. He wanted serious stuff without standard anime cliches and referenced Joss Whedons stuff as well as Doctor Who. Azumanga Daioh is a light-hearted schoolgirl comedy that is very definitely not serious. It is indeed one of the best anime series ever made, but I don't think it's in the scope of what he wants.

Death Note, however, is certainly a possibility and I'm surprised I didn't think of it earlier. Hell, I even looked over my collection for suggestions and simply discounted it and I can't think why. It's definitely serious and mostly avoids many of the normal anime tropes. There are supernatural elements ala Buffy & Angel. About the only thing it doesn't have is the humorous elements that Whedon's shows and the more recent Doctor Whos' are known for. It's an excellent choice if your girlfriend likes cat-and-mouse style detective shows.
    The Death Note anime is pretty fucking badass, if she can get over the fact that the main character is a soulless bastard. Which is awesome.

There is of course this. Light Yagami isn't exactly the expected choice for the main character in that he's, well... evil. Doesn't change the fact that the anime is excellent.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Honestly I thought Light was "evil" much in the same way Castro is "evil" or Che was "evil"

They tried to change the world for the better, achieved a modicum of success, and got drunk with power and betrayed everything they ever stood for for their own selfish needs

The saddest part is is in all three cases you can see that they're all self-aware that what they are/were doing is/was wrong, yet continued to do it anyways

Humans... :(

Anyways yeah, even though Light's a dick he's so goddamn charming you can't help but cheer for him

Edit: Also I said AMD-O! because it doesn't rely on anime/manga jokes, and you can absolutely despise anime and find that shit laugh out loud hilarious

I liken it to Arrested Development/ The Office if it were set in a Japanese high school, most of the jokes are based on the absurdity of the events (and awkwardness/embarassment resulting from said events) or the super-fucking-excellent dialogue, which makes me wonder how the fuck they did such a great translation job

Rent on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    susan wrote: »

Samurai Champloo is indeed excellent and does mix humour and seriousness as well as anything Whedon has ever done.

Be very wary of Excel Saga. It's not a series for anime beginners, which is what your girlfriend sounds like. There's no question that it's a great series, but unless you're really familiar with the in and outs of Japanese society, culture and TV (including anime), the large majority of jokes will go right past you without registering. And God help you if you can't handle watching something without any plot whatsoever, because Excel Saga has no truck with anything resembling a plotline until the last few episodes.

And speaking of the last few episodes, take care with the last one if you do decide to watch Excel Saga. I've never seen anything else that pushes so far past the acceptable boundaries of taste... and I've watched Urotsukidoji and Puni Puni Poemy.

If you're planning on continuing your relationship with this girl don't show her Excel Saga. Excel Saga is the sweaty garbage water run-off from the whole of anime/japanese nerd culture, it's not funny it's just random and stupid and enjoyment of it should be punished with expulsion from society. Basically it's an entire series built around stupid "i've watched too much anime" injokes.

Edit: Also you might try her on Eden of the East, it's a got a strong plot, interesting characters and tends to avoid more of the traditional anime cliches.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Excel Saga does indeed suck

Genshiken does everything Excel Saga tries to do except better, with a cohesive storyline, interesting characters, and great dialogue

And it even has a manga-making arc that doesn't feel overtly meta!

Basically what I'm saying is is Genshiken is the Simpsons to Excel Saga's Family Guy

Rent on
    edited October 2009
    Honestly I thought Light was "evil" much in the same way Castro is "evil" or Che was "evil"

They tried to change the world for the better, achieved a modicum of success, and got drunk with power and betrayed everything they ever stood for for their own selfish needs

The saddest part is is in all three cases you can see that they're all self-aware that what they are/were doing is/was wrong, yet continued to do it anyways

Humans... :(

Anyways yeah, even though Light's a dick he's so goddamn charming you can't help but cheer for him.

This is so true. Light's basically a complete prick, but when I watched through the series, I couldn't help wanting him to succeed, even when it mean bad things were going to happen to good people. It's one of things that makes Death Note so good.
    Edit: Also I said AMD-O! because it doesn't rely on anime/manga jokes, and you can absolutely despise anime and find that shit laugh out loud hilarious.

I liken it to Arrested Development/ The Office if it were set in a Japanese high school, most of the jokes are based on the absurdity of the events (and awkwardness/embarassment resulting from said events) or the super-fucking-excellent dialogue, which makes me wonder how the fuck they did such a great translation job.

It's true that it would likely appeal to someone who isn't into anime, but I pooh-poohed it on the grounds that it never once gets serious - which is one thing the OP wanted. If you're looking for a light-hearted comedy though, you'll be hard pressed to find something better than Azumanga Daioh.

Also Taranis, you might consider the Animatrix. It's a bunch of serious anime shorts set in the Matrix universe. That could be another good gateway into anime if your girlfriend hasn't seen it yet, since I can't imagine that she won't have seen the films.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Black Lagoon is rather 'western' as far as anime goes with few of the standard anime cliches. It's about a group of pirates in the South China Sea area. Lots of guns, swearing, and over the topness. While some of the arcs are rather amusing and funny(Greenback Jane), some are brutally serious(The Vampire Twins). The complete series box set came out this week, too.

I'd also recommand Baccano!. It's set between 1930 and 1932 during prohibition. Gangsters, robbers, immortals, and such. The story is told in a very different fashion as it's shown as 3 different stories in 3 different years being presented at the same time. The entire series is up on Hulu for free for this month only.

Also, it is worth mentioning the English dubs on both of those series are very well done.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Outlaw Star is really good. The Old West and Sci Fi blend may make it palatable for her. There are a few episodes where it doesn't pull punches either, like the one where Jim gets a girlfriend. I would suggest starting with this one. Since Cowboy Bebop is considered better by most people you'll still have a fall back anime if she doesn't like Outlaw Star. If you lead with Cowboy Bebop nothing will be quite as good and she'll wind up just sort of being disappointed.

The Ghost in the Shell series (I wouldn't recommend the movie for a beginner) is a bit complex so if she's not keen on paying attention to the little things that wind up contributing to the overall mystery that is to be solved she may wind up a little confused or lost. My wife isn't big on having to really pay attention to details and she gave up on the first Stand Alone Complex pretty quickly.

Crest of Stars is one of the two anime series that I started but never finished. I own 1 DVD of it and that's it. The English voice cast was one of the worst I'd ever encountered in a somewhat modern anime. Unless your girl is cool with subtitles I would be very careful with this Anime. Also in terms of animation quality it isn't as good as say Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell. I'd even say that Outlaw Star is of higher quality in that regard as well.

GENSHIKEN is the bomb-diggity. If someone stole all my anime series except one this would be the one I hope they would leave. There's no dying, no killing or exploding. It's just otaku living their lives in college as part of a small and disrespected club. If your girl doesn't much care for Anime etc. she'll at least identify with Saki who's boyfriend is an Otaku and who must put up with his Otaku friends. The only problem is that the OVA that bridges the two seasons of Genshiken is only found in the Kujibiki Unbalance box set, legally at least.

Also, just in case your girlfriend might like series like Heroes or really just super hero stuff in general. The movie Read or Die is amazing. A girl with the super power to control paper fights to save the world with the help of a global spanning organization of interestingly skilled people. The concept seems strange and the power to control paper might seem dumb but it's really beautifully done.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm a girl that likes Dr. Who and Joss Whedon and I like Mezzo DSA. It's action based with a lot of guns, so take that as you will. It's also an instant queue on Netflix.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited October 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Black Lagoon is rather 'western' as far as anime goes with few of the standard anime cliches. It's about a group of pirates in the South China Sea area. Lots of guns, swearing, and over the topness. While some of the arcs are rather amusing and funny(Greenback Jane), some are brutally serious(The Vampire Twins). The complete series box set came out this week, too.

Another good series I forgot to consider. This is somewhat like Firefly as well, kind of. It has an eclectic crew living in a lawless region looking for any sort of work they can get, legal or illegal. When it's funny, it's very, very funny. When it's serious... well, when DragonPup says the Vampire Twins arc is brutally serious, he's not kidding. A great choice if you don't mind swearing.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited October 2009
    GENSHIKEN is the bomb-diggity. If someone stole all my anime series except one this would be the one I hope they would leave. There's no dying, no killing or exploding. It's just otaku living their lives in college as part of a small and disrespected club. If your girl doesn't much care for Anime etc. she'll at least identify with Saki who's boyfriend is an Otaku and who must put up with his Otaku friends. The only problem is that the OVA that bridges the two seasons of Genshiken is only found in the Kujibiki Unbalance box set, legally at least.
    You and me man, we are BROTHERS :P

Also....I've only read the Genshiken manga, am I correct that they made KU into a real actual anime (making it like unbelievably meta)?

1) How is it?
    2) How is the Genshiken anime in comparison to the manga, if you've read the manga?

Rent on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    How about Haibane Renmei?

I'd recommend this, my ex introduced me to it and I enjoyed it, and I love shows like Dr. Who, too.

Liiya on
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, best i can do is pretty much reiterate a few choices in this thread, after having introduced my own girl to anime not long ago.

First, watch Spirited Away because it is like a magnificent moving painting or something. It has some intangible quality and I absolutely adore that movie, everyone I know who has seen it does.

Cowboy Bebop is the best first choice for a series, it's fucking perfect and it doesn't have any of the anime cliches that you're likely to find in, well, most other anime. It won't scare her off and if she's really new to this stuff it will imbue in her the fact that an animated series can be every bit as awesome as a movie.

Samurai Champloo is fantastic too, it's kinda similar in spirit to Bebop though, so I'd watch something in between. Possibly as everyone has been saying, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Series 1. If she likes that watch the second series.

If you dont' think she'll be into the srs bsns side of GitS watch Code Geass. Some people hate it some people love it, but it's a damn fucking good show (escpecially the second season, fuck the haters :P)

Death Note is also good. Trigun can be a bit silly, escpecially at the start. If she's into that watch it along with the others, but otherwise I'd wait until you've showed her some of the other stuff first. (It is still really good by the way).

Oh, and I can't do these threads without recomending Evangelion. Because I am too proud to admit that it usually just scares people off, whenever I try introduce someone I know to Anime I force them to watch this shit. I remember doing it with my father and my brother - my dad actually loved it and that's how he came to watch most of the other series I've listed, but I just remember my brother's enthusiasm shrinking ever steadily as we passed episode 15. By the end of 26 it was "The worst fucking pile of shit I have ever seen". So I dunno, maybe you should hold off on Eva. You know her better than we do.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've always really been underwhelmed by Evangelion. It wasn't something I watched right away when I got into Anime and once I got around to it all the hype had really made it something that was good but not as good as it was supposed to be.

Also....I've only read the Genshiken manga, am I correct that they made KU into a real actual anime (making it like unbelievably meta)?

1) How is it?
    2) How is the Genshiken anime in comparison to the manga, if you've read the manga?

1) I haven't watched KU's stand alone set. If you buy the first Genshiken box set they include 3 random episodes of KU. It is of course not quite as good as Genshiken itself. I put the actual KU series on my Netflix but I'm not in a hurry to watch it.

2) If you watch both seasons and the OVA that bridges the two it follows pretty close to the Manga but lops off some of the better parts between Sasahara and Ogiue. Which is really a shame because that really made the Manga.

One other Anime that could make or break how your girlfriend views anime is Those Who Hunt Elves. This is a horrible series. It's like a Bruce Campbell movie of Anime. The set up is just insane and the show never takes itself seriously and yet it doesn't descend into the sort of determined craziness of something like Excel Saga. The animation quality is standard at best but the English voice actors actually do a devent job. Junpei (voiced by Brett Weaver) really makes the series. The upshot to this anime is that it will not ruin other animes by having an amazing story or beautiful animation. If your girlfriend has a nice sense of humor and can tolerate the strange plot and low brow comedy then this series can really help open her up to the full range of anime titles out there, the good and the bad but still good.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since I'm a pretty bug whedon fan myself, I'll just go ahead and recommend my favorite anime: Trigun, Cowboy Bebop & Fullmetal Alchemist

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857