As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Chat Thread Discussion

• BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    BigDes wrote:
    He has a point though. Why call it a "CHAT" thread if it's not?
    Well to be fair it is. We just can't go off on tangents as mcuh and we have to at least make a sort of sense.I imagine the new Chat thread ideal as being like a group of friends hangin together just chillin and chewing the fat. Not just posting reams of random stuff that doesn't really make sense.

This is exactly the point and the goal and what's actually happening as a result of all those big mean new rules.
    I'm preferring it as well to be honest.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:
    Well to be fair it is. We just can't go off on tangents as mcuh and we have to at least make a sort of sense.I imagine the new Chat thread ideal as being like a group of friends hangin together just chillin and chewing the fat. Not just posting reams of random stuff that doesn't really make sense.

I don't get yelled at by somebody if I talk really loudly in a joking manner.

Or if I make some off-the-wall remark for no reason.

Or if...well you can probably see where this is going.

Man, I'm gonna be pissed if my friends throw me in jail for a night for talking loud.

The Muffin Man on
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:

Man, I'm gonna be pissed if my friends throw me in jail for a night for talking loud.
    But this is till happening though, I think people are misinterpreting the new rules, they aren't about stopping us relaxxing and having to be serious every time they post, they're about stopping us from writing dickcock or some such stuff in caps every other post.

The rules are weeding out the stupid and the inane as I see it, yet leaving the wonderful bubbly core of the Chat thread remainig

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:

If you're with a group of co-workers after work having a beer and you make a habit of regularly shouting completely off the wall phrases in the middle of an ongoing discussion between a couple of the others there you're not going to make any friends, and pretty soon the only people that go to that bar after work will be the guys who don't mind shouting random shit at each other all night.

We like to run a classier establishment than that. We prefer the white collar crowd that tips at least 15%.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

But this is till happening though, I think people are misinterpreting the new rules, they aren't about stopping us relaxxing and having to be serious every time they post, they're about stopping us from writing dickcock or some such stuff in caps every other post.

The rules are weeding out the stupid and the inane as I see it, yet leaving the wonderful bubbly core of the Chat thread remainig

I didn't know that core was made of lava. :|

If there was some huge fundamental problem with the old style of chat thread, how come it was even allowed to hit 500? Why not tell us ALONG THE WAY? Sure, we were warned to go easy on the posting of pictures on a page and nothing more than 100kb outside of a link, but why before 500? If it was so "out of hand" why not take it out before it even GETS that bad?

The Muffin Man on
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

If there was some huge fundamental problem with the old style of chat thread, how come it was even allowed to hit 500? Why not tell us ALONG THE WAY? Sure, we were warned to go easy on the posting of pictures on a page and nothing more than 100kb outside of a link, but why before 500? If it was so "out of hand" why not take it out before it even GETS that bad?

Because it didn't start out that way? And it didn't start to get that way until after a while? And even then it took a good while to get really bad? And then we really wanted to make sure we were going to be doing the right thing, and spent a few weeks discussing it? And then we decided instead of cutting you guys off around 492 that we'd let you get to 500?

Pheezer on
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

To be honest I don't know, I'm not a mod. All I can say is that the Chat thread seems less, tense, than it did before it went.

Although would telling us along the way had any effect really? It needed to go and then come back to show us how valuable it was and to make us listen.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

If you're with a group of co-workers after work having a beer and you make a habit of regularly shouting completely off the wall phrases in the middle of an ongoing discussion between a couple of the others there you're not going to make any friends, and pretty soon the only people that go to that bar after work will be the guys who don't mind shouting random shit at each other all night.

We like to run a classier establishment than that. We prefer the white collar crowd that tips at least 15%.

Ok so we're trying to make it D+D Jr. rather than SE++ Jr. That's not really a really preferable change. As it was, we weren't anything like SE++.

Also, out of curiousity - Are any of these suggestions actually gonna go into changing the current Chat thread? And if so, are we going to have to wait 500 chat threads?

The Muffin Man on
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    BigDes wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Because it didn't start out that way? And it didn't start to get that way until after a while? And even then it took a good while to get really bad? And then we really wanted to make sure we were going to be doing the right thing, and spent a few weeks discussing it? And then we decided instead of cutting you guys off around 492 that we'd let you get to 500?

So rather than try and stop it early when it started you let it fester before finally cutting it off. After we go used to it. And drastically changed it.

:?

The Muffin Man on
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

Ok so we're trying to make it D+D Jr. rather than SE++ Jr. That's not really a really preferable change. As it was, we weren't anything like SE++.

Also, out of curiousity - Are any of these suggestions actually gonna go into changing the current Chat thread? And if so, are we going to have to wait 500 chat threads?

If all you can do is gibber about"D&D Jr." and "SE Jr.", then no, you're not likely to affect the rules.

Seriously, drop the pretense and look at the situation here. This has nothing to do with D&D or SE and you're not going to get anywhere by making remarks that disparage those forums.

From what I can tell, your basic disagreement with the rules is that now you're actually expected to use the chat thread to initiate and carry on conversation, rather than being able to just post whatever you want, whenever you want, completely at random if you wish as long as there aren't tits or too much gore. Is that about right?

Pheezer on
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    BigDes wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

So rather than try and stop it early when it started you let it fester before finally cutting it off. After we go used to it. And drastically changed it.

:?

Yes. Because even minor changes in course and attempts to enforce basic rules were going completely ignored and provoked endless bitching. The old chat threads had too much momentum to change mid course, even in relatively minor ways, much less in the significant manner we have.

Pheezer on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Yes. Because even minor changes in course and attempts to enforce basic rules were going completely ignored and provoked endless bitching. The old chat threads had too much momentum to change mid course, even in relatively minor ways, much less in the significant manner we have.
    Would this thread be an example?

Henroid on
    edited July 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Would this thread be an example?

Yes. Yes that might be.

Pheezer on
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    BigDes wrote:

If all you can do is gibber about"D&D Jr." and "SE Jr.", then no, you're not likely to affect the rules.

Seriously, drop the pretense and look at the situation here. This has nothing to do with D&D or SE and you're not going to get anywhere by making remarks that disparage those forums.

From what I can tell, your basic disagreement with the rules is that now you're actually expected to use the chat thread to initiate and carry on conversation, rather than being able to just post whatever you want, whenever you want, completely at random if you wish as long as there aren't tits or too much gore. Is that about right?

Precisely. Because that's what the rules do. And that's precisely what I said.

And I thought CT was the mod best at belittling people :?

The Muffin Man on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:

And I thought CT was the mod best at belittling people :?
    I think the chat threads were created to allow the forumers of different communities to chat with one another, not for completely random stuff. Because there's another forum for that, and it does a good job at it.
    tynic wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Dude, we can totally make innuendo for as long as we want. It was the blatant, unsubtle homoeroticism that we can't do for ten pages at a time anymore.
    I don't think we in D&D have the power any longer to distinguish between innuendo and blatant, unsubtle homoeroticism.

At least, I know I can't.
    It's because we have our gay sensors cranked to full power. I see homoeroticism in every single post.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:

Great, that's not what the chat thread has ever been for. That it got used for that for a while is why it was stopped, and then brought back.

The chat thread was never, ever meant as a place you could just go and spew random. Ever. People slowly started using it that way, and despite all efforts at slowing the tide or turning the direction of the thread, people kept ignoring the rules and requests of the mods and kept doing that. Shutting down and bringing back the thread was the only way we could accomplish having a chat thread.

The chat thread always was, and from now on will be a place to have conversations, not a place to spew random. If the chat thread isn't used for chatting, rather than spewing as much random gibberish as possible whenever that mood strikes, then there probably won't be a chat thread. I'm awfully sorry for your loss, but the child was retarded anyhow.

If you want to affect the way the chat thread is handled, you're going to need to work within that framework. Trying to get things back to the way they were when we had to shut the thing down isn't going to accomplish anything you'd ever want to.

Pheezer on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I'd just like to lend my voice to those welcoming the change. The old chat thread was nonsense and was pretty much impossible for me to follow. The new one is much better, and is actually a thread I feel like posting in from time to time.

Kudos.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    I wish we still had a couple of old chat threads to post to show the difference between what it was and what it became.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    I wish we still had a couple of old chat threads to post to show the difference between what it was and what it became.
    Maybe I can give you a hand.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    omgboomlol wrote:

Would this be an example of the former or the latter?

Because I seem to recall that being awesome.

Original Rufus on
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    omgboomlol wrote:

Would this be an example of the former or the latter?

Because I seem to recall that being awesome.
    At first glance one might say that it's the latter. But, since it was relevant to that post...

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I'm torn. I loved the nonsense honestly. But I like the new setup.

I REFUSE to say the new setup is better (it isn't.) It's just a different type of fun.

Ludious on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Well apparently I was worried for nothing, I haven't gotten in trouble for being my normal level of silly and random yet.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited July 2005
    For what it's worth, I think the new chat thread is fucking great and it reminds me in a lot of ways why I got so damned attached to this place initially.

Pheezer on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    It may be just me, but I haven't really seen a lot if improvement. At least away from the 'maek psot' sensibility. I pop in at random times and that's a lot of what I see.

Sure there's always going to be a bit of random and admittedly I don't have the time to follow it like I used to, but the feeling I get at any rate is that it's still just the same as before but a bit more confining because of the mod only rule for creating.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2005
    It may be just me, but I haven't really seen a lot if improvement. At least away from the 'maek psot' sensibility. I pop in at random times and that's a lot of what I see.

Sure there's always going to be a bit of random and admittedly I don't have the time to follow it like I used to, but the feeling I get at any rate is that it's still just the same as before but a bit more confining because of the mod only rule for creating.

I think if you tried to participate in a conversation in there you'd find that to be very different.

Pheezer on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:

I think if you tried to participate in a conversation in there you'd find that to be very different.
    Could be. Lately I just haven't had much time to do anything but 'scan'. I wasn't trying to pass judgement. Just express an observation.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Jailed for posting an image? I'm filling with anger. It's not like what I posted was that bad.
    "OLOL on U. Luv Ozmodai"

Ozmodai on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ozmodai wrote:
    Jailed for posting an image? I'm filling with anger. It's not like what I posted was that bad.
    "OLOL on U. Luv Ozmodai"
    It is in the rules.

Henroid on
    edited July 2005
    I didn't think it was random enough to entail a jailing, but when you play with the Img button, you get burned sometimes.

pheezer-burned.

Ozmodai on
    edited July 2005
    Ozmodai wrote:
    I didn't think it was random enough to entail a jailing, but when you play with the Img button, you get burned sometimes.

pheezer-burned.

It was completely random. It had nothing to do with the ongoing conversation. It wasn't being used to start a discussion. It was just a random image you felt like spamming in the chat thread.

How can you actually be surprised by this? This is like hitting your thumb as hard as you can with a hammer, on purpose, and then reacting in shock when you discover that your hand is in intense pain.

Pheezer on
    edited July 2005
    Well that's your opinion.

Ozmodai on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I've seen at least two examples of complete mod-abuse jailings for pictures that were just a bit too big, albeit on-topic in the past 24 hours in the chat thread.

For what it's worth.

Ludious on
    edited July 2005
    Ludious wrote:
    I've seen at least two examples of complete mod-abuse jailings for pictures that were just a bit too big, albeit on-topic in the past 24 hours in the chat thread.

For what it's worth.

Uh huh. I'm sure you have.
    How about PMing the details to an admin instead of trying to incite something with vague accusations?

Pheezer on
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

For what it's worth.

How about PMing the details to an admin instead of trying to incite something with vague accusations?

I'm not inciting anything. This is the Monkey Den chat thread discussion is it not? It's about comments/opinions/problems with the chat thread, right? If I'm wrong, I humbly apologize.

Ludious on
    edited July 2005
    Ludious wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

For what it's worth.

I'm not inciting anything. This is the Monkey Den chat thread discussion is it not? It's about comments/opinions/problems with the chat thread, right? If I'm wrong, I humbly apologize.

Do you seriously think that your comment here was constructive or helpful? Do you honestly feel that your vaguely worded accusation was a valuable contribution to the dialogue here?

Pheezer on
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

For what it's worth.

Do you seriously think that your comment here was constructive or helpful? Do you honestly feel that your vaguely worded accusation was a valuable contribution to the dialogue here?

I think it serves as a good example of the type of policing that tends to go on around the penny arcade. On a whole, the mods do an excellent job, but I do grow tired of the prevalent "bored Greek God" attitude that seems to rear its ugly head a bit too often.

I'm sorry Pheezer. But I'm not going to get into it with you. You're a bully.

You're a great guy, a pillar of the community even. But with that mod badge you're a narcissistic bully.

You can't say one word without talking down to people, just like you're doing with me now.

Get the fuck over yourself. You're too nice of a guy to be like that.

Ludious on
    edited July 2005
    Ludious wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

For what it's worth.

I think it serves as a good example of the type of policing that tends to go on around the penny arcade. On a whole, the mods do an excellent job, but I do grow tired of the prevalent "bored Greek God" attitude that seems to rear its ugly head a bit too often.

I'm sorry Pheezer. But I'm not going to get into it with you. You're a bully.

You're a great guy, a pillar of the community even. But with that mod badge you're a narcissistic bully.

You can't say one word without talking down to people, just like you're doing with me now.

Get the fuck over yourself. You're too nice of a guy to be like that.

You want me to stop talking down to you?
    Stop acting like a child.

If you're going to come in here and level vague accusations calling into question the veracity of the entire fucking team with no specifics, granting no opportunity for anyone to maybe explain or take a look into what happened, you can feel free to go get fucked, buddy.

That's antagonistic bullshit right there and you're doing an awful nice job of pretending that you're contributing to a discussion and playing the victim here, but at the end of it all you've provided nothing for discussion, and dropped a series of blanket insults against the moderators in general and now me in specific.

Don't act like you're trying to participate in a discussion here if empty accusations and blanket insults are all you've got. This is an opportunity to discuss moderation and rules in an open forum. Stop squandering it on petty bullshit like this, you're not accomplishing anything but acting the prick.

Pheezer on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2005
    There is a secret to talking to pheezer

Watch:

'Hi, pheezer. How are you today?'

Knob on
    edited July 2005
    Alright fine.

I think Faricrazy getting jailed yesterday (or was it earlier today? Can't remember) for posting an on-topic picture of a car was complete bullshit. I don't remember who jailed him.

The whole legacy thing? Was pretty much bullshit in my opinion.

Pheezer: You're a bully.

There. No Blanket accusations. Just straight to the point.

Ludious on