As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flippy raids America 12/07-30/09 - BLOG: flippyd.wordpress.com | MOBILE NO. IN OP

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's alright. I like to think of Manhattan as a place that's over there that I can go to.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NYC is a month long journey unto itself

Fatty McBeardo on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've worked in NYC for almost 5 years now, and lived just across the river for 9, and I still haven't experienced enough of NYC for my tastes. I can't imagine trying to cram it into a couple days.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Akilae wrote: »
    Then I aim to make you see the error of your ways, for NYC is first among cities and the only city worth living in within the US... despite our crazy rent, taxes, and being overwhelmed by tourists :P
    NYC is fucking god awful.

Nothing but stuck up, pretentious assholes, all trying to get ahead of everyone else.

If you find courtesy in NYC, you'll find Jesus in Harlem.

edit: plus a Goddamn Big Mac meal ran me around $9 when I was there.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Then I aim to make you see the error of your ways, for NYC is first among cities and the only city worth living in within the US... despite our crazy rent, taxes, and being overwhelmed by tourists :P
    NYC is fucking god awful.

Nothing but stuck up, pretentious assholes, all trying to get ahead of everyone else.

If you find courtesy in NYC, you'll find Jesus in Harlem.

edit: plus a Goddamn Big Mac meal ran me around $9 when I was there.

Why would you go to McDonalds when there is better, cheaper food everywhere else? Also people send the tourists to Manhattan for a reason.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Flipsy, I'd really love to see a full, thoughtful, introspective look on your trip, what it means, how it makes you feel about America and the world and everything.

It would make this Texan quite happy.

Melkster on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's not hard to find Jesus in Harlem. He works with Juan and Carlos in the kitchen at Sylvia's.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    edited October 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »
    It's not hard to find Jesus in Harlem. He works with Juan and Carlos in the kitchen at Sylvia's.
    I knew I screwed myself over using the Jesus analogy haha.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited October 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Why would you go to McDonalds when there is better, cheaper food everywhere else? Also people send the tourists to Manhattan for a reason.
    Because I was on a bus and we stopped just outside of the city to get grub.

We had been travelling a good 4 hrs without food and we couldn't wait another hr.

But seriously, the better food would just be more expensive anyway.

Fucking NYers.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I do like NYC, don't get me wrong. It's just I couldn't decide if I'd like to live there or not.

People who say things like this have obviously never lived somewhere that was actually overwhelmed with tourists.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I do like NYC, don't get me wrong. It's just I couldn't decide if I'd like to live there or not.

People who say things like this have obviously never lived somewhere that was actually overwhelmed with tourists.
    New York City has always been the most visited city in the United States by far.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I live in San Diego, lots of tourists. In the summer anyways. I hate them.

rayofash on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BEAST! wrote: »

New York City has always been the most visited city in the United States by far.

That doesn't speak to the ratio between the number of people visiting and the number of people who live there.

Obviously New York is the most visited city in the USA. What I'm saying is it's hard for a city of 2MM to be "overrun" with tourists.

People say this about DC all the time too - and they clearly haven't ever lived somewhere where, during tourist season, tourists actually outnumber residents.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

That doesn't speak to the ratio between the number of people visiting and the number of people who live there.

Obviously New York is the most visited city in the USA. What I'm saying is it's hard for a city of 2MM to be "overrun" with tourists.

People say this about DC all the time too - and they clearly haven't ever lived somewhere where, during tourist season, tourists actually outnumber residents.

Yeah, go live in Wisconsin Dells, or to a lesser extent, New Orleans or any Florida spring-break destination. Any city that is only because of the tourists.

MichaelLC on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think NYC is what the expression "A great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." was coined for. Its undeniably a great city but its not for everyone, not even all those that prefer urban dwelling

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    I think NYC is what the expression "A great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." was coined for. Its undeniably a great city but its not for everyone, not even all those that prefer urban dwelling

See, I feel that way about South Florida, but I would live in NYC if I found work to support the excessive living expenses.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright Flippy now that you're home it is your sworn duty to fix dem kidz. Hit 'em with some literary knowledge.

JAEF on
    edited October 2009
    Maybe it's all the added "ou"s

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's ridicuoulous.

JAEF on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Flippy you need to claim your $92.37 winnings from being a crack sniper at PAX.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited October 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    That's ridicuoulous.

What's funny is that I read the article, and it mentions how one of the issues is that the verbs don't match with the nouns being used or something. I recall this being a big difference between English UK and English US.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God, that doesn't surprise me. I've been saying that one for years.

Oh, also, I will write a few closing posts - hopefully tonight. Reason it hasn't come sooner is because immediately upon arrival home I was whisked off to my grandparents' place in Eastbourne, whence there is no internet, yarr.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited October 2009
    Random, thanks - do you think you can wire it to me electronically if I give you my sort ID and bank number etc?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you tell me how to do so, probably yes. Though as I recall international money wires have a cost of like $30 or something.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Donate the money to Child's Play Flippy!

Shogun on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to live in NYC like 5-7 years ago before I had kids. It seems like a fun place to be for a 20something. (if you can afford it) But not somewhere I'd really like to raise a family.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited October 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    I'd like to live in NYC like 5-7 years ago before I had kids. It seems like a fun place to be for a 20something. (if you can afford it) But not somewhere I'd really like to raise a family.

I dunno, I mean...there are plenty of families here. You don't have to raise them in Manhattan, though some people do.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited October 2009
    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    E Pluribus Flippum

MKR on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    E Pluribus Snipe'em

SithDrummer on
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

A very poignant read Flippy, and highlights so many of the pros and cons of Americana.

Akilae on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Once again, we've driven the British out and asserted our independence!

Good work.

MKR on
    edited October 2009
    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    and so the longest ego trip ends

tyrannus on
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Flip, now that your home we should do some TF2.

wavecutter on
    edited October 2009
    We should definitely do some TF2. I shall be on tonight, on Job's.

Tyrannus, surely you're not back from London already?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Yeah, go live in Wisconsin Dells, or to a lesser extent, New Orleans or any Florida spring-break destination. Any city that is only because of the tourists.

Nonsense, no on actually lives in Wisconsin Dells, they are imprisoned there by student loans.

Excellent read, Flippy.

chamberlain on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We should definitely do some TF2. I shall be on tonight, on Job's.

Tyrannus, surely you're not back from London already?

well, if i was back i'd make sure to update my thread title and post on a blog about it.

tyrannus on
    edited October 2009
    Touché.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Only twelve cats?

I forget if you met all 4 of mine.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons