As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

YouTubin'

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No offense Goatmon but that video really shows off the insane twists of logic that made me so mad and confused... and thus resulted in me becoming a godless commie atheist.

But eh, them's the breaks.

I'm sure people like me and Goatmon aren't going to take offense to that. There's jerkwad / insane Christians just as there are jerkwad / insane athiests / agnostics / Jews / etc. This video is a product of that jerkwad-insanity.

Henroid on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    No offense Goatmon but that video really shows off the insane twists of logic that made me so mad and confused... and thus resulted in me becoming a godless commie atheist.

I'm sure people like me and Goatmon aren't going to take offense to that. There's jerkwad / insane Christians just as there are jerkwad / insane athiests / agnostics / Jews / etc. This video is a product of that jerkwad-insanity.

yep pretty much

seriously i am pretty sure i could poke around youtube and find the video blog of some jack-ass moron atheist saying stupid ass shit that would make other atheists cradle their forehead in their palm and sigh with annoyance.

i won't do that because i don't hate my own brain

Pony on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    it's good to hear your mind isn't slammed shut on the issue just because of some negative experiences and shit

but some of us ain't dicks! and i don't think some of us believe hateful, stupid things!

but i can respect atheists, even if they aren't knowledgeable of other religions or whatever

the idea that you gotta be an expert on a subject to have an opinion on it is stupid

I dunno man, I'm almost positive there are no Gods or God... or at least nothing worth worshiping. I don't wanna default to the yuppie stand-by of Buddhism but maybe I oughta give it a shot.

Curly_Brace on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

yep pretty much

seriously i am pretty sure i could poke around youtube and find the video blog of some jack-ass moron atheist saying stupid ass shit that would make other atheists cradle their forehead in their palm and sigh with annoyance.

i won't do that because i don't hate my own brain

It happened like two months ago in D&D, it was pretty neat to see. Anyway. Less talking and more tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnR2N4w0VU

Henroid on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it's good to hear your mind isn't slammed shut on the issue just because of some negative experiences and shit

but some of us ain't dicks! and i don't think some of us believe hateful, stupid things!

but i can respect atheists, even if they aren't knowledgeable of other religions or whatever

the idea that you gotta be an expert on a subject to have an opinion on it is stupid

I dunno man, I'm almost positive there are no Gods or God... or at least nothing worth worshiping. I don't wanna default to the yuppie stand-by of Buddhism but maybe I oughta give it a shot.

well, not all religions or philosophies that get lumped in with religion are theistic, after all

also despite the Steven Seagals of the world, not all Buddhists are pretentious hippie flakes looking to look more hip and indie than you

I'm not!

so hey, maybe it might be something worth looking into

or not!

if you are happy being an atheist and you don't feel the need to change that or add any other religious or philosophical viewpoint to what you think, then don't!

i think if you are perfectly content with what you believe and you ain't hurting nobody, you ain't got a reason to change that

Pony on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "You would have told me about this 'Jesus'" - yeah, because he's not a well known guy!

Also, how does that letter get written when things are happening? It's like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "The Castle of aaauuuuugh."

Yeah that's the first thing I thought, about halfway into that video.

All that pales, however, next to Jack Chick's nonsense.

Skip to about 2:25

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited October 2009
    well, not all religions or philosophies that get lumped in with religion are theistic, after all

if you are happy being an atheist and you don't feel the need to change that or add any other religious or philosophical viewpoint to what you think, then don't!

i think if you are perfectly content with what you believe and you ain't hurting nobody, you ain't got a reason to change that

I figure I oughta give the non-theistic stuff out there a fair shake, when I have the time and inkling. Not exactly something I can do in a weekend. but, yes! More tubes!

I totally wanna so this some time... (WARNING: pretty loud, may wanna turn down your volume some):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1kGmOhzWQ

Curly_Brace on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    edited October 2009
    Scientologists actually try to be proactive? That's a new one on me.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Did I ever link this video, Street Battle?

Curly_Brace on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scientologists actually try to be proactive? That's a new one on me.

Anonymous Documentary II - Scientology

Anonymous Documentary I - Scientology

Honestly, Scientologists scare the shit out of me. It really does seem like they're a cult
    Only in America :?

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

gaaaaaaaaay

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wow me, youtube

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited October 2009
    Oh no, the poor Church of Scientology got harassed by Anonymous.

People sent angry letters, threatening phone calls, etc.

Who does Anonymous think they are? The Church of Scientology?

Goatmon on

edited October 2009
    Curly_Brace on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

gaaaaaaaaay

That is fucking HIDEOUS

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited October 2009

gaaaaaaaaay

That is fucking HIDEOUS

I... I thought it was kinda cool. :? Of course, Wakfu is 10000x better...

Curly_Brace on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

gaaaaaaaaay

That is fucking HIDEOUS

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited October 2009

gaaaaaaaaay

That is fucking HIDEOUS

I thought it was a little lame, but the animation seemed pretty decent.

Goatmon on

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really shouldn't give people shit for listening to nightwish and other fairy metal shit when I like Vintersorg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HkWh2u2Do

L|ama on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

gaaaaaaaaay

That is fucking HIDEOUS

That is the fucking lamest shit I've seen in a minute.

Dorktron9000 on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

gaaaaaaaaay

That is fucking HIDEOUS

That is the fucking lamest shit I've seen in a minute.

My friend, there is a lot of worse shit out there

I got some animation war stories under my belt

I've seen it all

Godfather on
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just find the concept to be absurd. The animation itself was great, but what was that shit about the origins of rap?

Dorktron9000 on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just find the concept to be absurd. The animation itself was great, but what was that shit about the origins of rap?

Sure, that's a fair statement, but let's take a look at a few things

There's a lot to consider when you're pitching a show to a network

Target audience, budget costs, programs used, whatever.

But what pretty much determines whether a network/studio will pick up a show nowadays is the concept. If a concept for a show is strong enough, it's going to determine how much money the company is going to throw into the animation budget. If there's not enough money in the show bank, the studio will usually shave off a couple of positions, some of which are actually extremely important (storyboarding is usually the first sacrificial bunt).

Usually most animators stick with what's safe and what sells here in the west; superheroes and cartoon shenanigans.

But if you're able to nail a concept so unique and original, yet familiar at the same time, you're in gold territory. That's where the real money is made, and sometimes the creative team can almost get away with murder on some elements of said show.

It seems like this creator was going for something along those lines. Personally I think the entire premise is a little bit shaky; some of the ideas in the short show promise, and it looks like he tried to balance it out with some elements that would be a sure selling point (hip hop and avatar similarities), but it seems to have backfired honestly.

The key to making a successful pitch in this industry is to find the balance in this, because if you don't the network/studio/etc isn't going to pick it up, no matter how well animated it is. I think if this creator/team polished up the core elements to a mirror shine, refined the ideas a bit more and ditched the goofier elements it would have been a much stronger product, but for now it looks a bit ridiculous.

I've seen some extremely raw animations turn into full-fledged features solely because it was enough to get the point across. The director for Shoot 'Em Up had these garbage animations to sell the film, and by the time he played them all the studio had the contract up and ready for him to sign. This is a rather extreme example, but in the end, whether it's a kids show or a live action movie the basic idea is the exact same.

Then again, it could have been a simple one-shot premise for kicks, but given its length i'm leaning on the former.

Not trying to change your mind or anything, just wanted to give you some perspective on what this guy was probably thinking when he made this.

Godfather on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so that 156 song from mew is pretty fucking great

anyone got anything similar?

Dadouw on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Check out Snow Brigade by Mew

The Black Hunter on
    edited October 2009
    Goatmon on

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    a christian furry?
    the mind boggles

Ha ha ha you have no idea man, no idea.

did you ever spend any time studying other religions?

Eh, I've been vaguely curious about other religions, but yeah anything Judeo-Christian or NRM is right out from the get-go. I'd like to call myself "an atheist for the time being" but mostly I'm just busy with other shit.
    Yeah yeah, I know Rumi... I oughta buy something.

that's cool, man

happens to too many folk i know, they grow up in say a strict Catholic or Muslim household and grow up and are like "FUCK RELIGION" and it's like

dude, i understand your parents and the folk at your church were dicks

Eh, I realize it might be a little too late to comment on this, but I'm an atheist honestly for the same reason most people are religious. Parents didn't practice any religion, most of my friends don't, and, while, sure, I've got that grr grr grr fuckin' fundies so damn crazy thing, it's mostly A) to blend in with my current group, B) I don't feel like I need it in my life, seeing how I've got lots of nice, concrete things around me to rely on, and C) ..don't feel like spending time devoting myself to it.

Wallhitter on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Centipede Damascus on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    edited October 2009
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    a christian furry?
    the mind boggles

Ha ha ha you have no idea man, no idea.

did you ever spend any time studying other religions?

Eh, I've been vaguely curious about other religions, but yeah anything Judeo-Christian or NRM is right out from the get-go. I'd like to call myself "an atheist for the time being" but mostly I'm just busy with other shit.
    Yeah yeah, I know Rumi... I oughta buy something.

that's cool, man

happens to too many folk i know, they grow up in say a strict Catholic or Muslim household and grow up and are like "FUCK RELIGION" and it's like

dude, i understand your parents and the folk at your church were dicks

Eh, I realize it might be a little too late to comment on this, but I'm an atheist honestly for the same reason most people are religious. Parents didn't practice any religion, most of my friends don't, and, while, sure, I've got that grr grr grr fuckin' fundies so damn crazy thing, it's mostly A) to blend in with my current group, B) I don't feel like I need it in my life, seeing how I've got lots of nice, concrete things around me to rely on, and C) ..don't feel like spending time devoting myself to it.

Regarding C. Most religious folks don't devote much time to it in any given day. Most don't go any farther than regular prayer and Church on Sunday, if that.

It's pretty different from person to person. I personally don't see any point in religious parents pressuring their kids to spend more and more time on this stuff unless they show genuine interest in doing so.

As spiritually important as it very well may be, it's all but worthless if your kids aren't really interested; Even more so if you try to force it.

I saw one video of some mom freaking out when her son told her he was an atheist, and one of the first thing she says is 'WELL THEN NO CHRISTMAS PRESENTS, SINCE CHRISTMAS IS ALL ABOUT JESUS'.

Yeah that's the ticket, Mom; I'm sure God will give two shits about kids who only claim to have faith because you're holding Christmas presents hostage.

Goatmon on

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wait isn't withholding presents as a HUGE punishment and then saying christmas is all about jesus kind of fuckin illustrating that, no, christmas isn't about fuckin jesus these days?

Metzger Meister on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited October 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jesus is just fine in my book.

except turning the other cheek. that just gives someone another opportunity to slap the shit out of me.

Metzger Meister on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P0_v__IOrE

Oh yeah, memories of the 5th grade

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No matter how many times I watch this seeing Mike Rowe in such intense discomfort is worth a laugh

um I don't know is this NSFW? I don't think so but the title says it all I guess (hint: horse twig and berries are present)

Dirty Jobs: Horse Geldin'

Ledneh on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh dear

that was something

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    wait isn't withholding presents as a HUGE punishment and then saying christmas is all about jesus kind of fuckin illustrating that, no, christmas isn't about fuckin jesus these days?

while it's still pretty stupid, you're misunderstanding the mother's thinking here

coming from that kind of fanatical christian background, it's more that for her Jesus is very literally the reason for Christmas
    she's probably not thinking of it as a punishment per se but in her simple, closed minded way seeing it simply as being stupid for an atheist to observe Christmas because she can only see it as a celebration of Jesus' birth

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • zslashzslash Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVVLnahmuE

home I'm a not to late on the scientology posts

edit: guess this is my first time doing embedding, didnt work out so well

zslash on
This discussion has been closed.