As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV Shows Not Watched on TV (and those that are)

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you know what's great?

Being American and watching shit on hulu.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    oh god I remember having to buy an rf switch for my goddamn n64 because my tv was made in a time where fake wood paneling was the thing to do
    I too had a tv enshrined in wood. and had to use my rf adapter all the way up to the gamecube.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love Hulu

It enabled me to watch all of Arrested Development in a single weekend

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    the CRTC are fucking bastards

they have a psychotic obsession with protecting "canadian culture" and making sure that we somehow don't get too much american tv and music

but stuff like the "can-con" laws designed to force broadcasters to insert regular amounts of canadian content into their channels and stations are totally fucking stupid and don't actually do what they are intending to do

in theory, can-con (short for canadian content) are supposed to make sure that burgeoning canadian musicians and television shows aren't smothered by the more popular, higher profile stuff coming out of the US

so, radio stations for example are required by law to air a certain amount of songs per hour that are either written or performed primarily by canadians, so that way the stations would be forced to find some canadian content to showcase

in reality, what happens is that new canadian artists have a massive problem with actually getting airplay in their own country. radio stations have gotten used to filling out their can-con quota by playing canadian bands that are also popular in the US (nickleback, for example) or are so well-known and beloved by so many canadians that it won't be a distracting break from normal programming (like BNL or the Tragically Hip)

there's a lot of canadian bands who basically can't get airplay on canadian radio stations until they are popular in the US first

which makes the cultural protectionism of can-con completely retarded even beyond the idiocy it exhibits as an idea by default

But you forget (or were perhaps unaware) that due to this law, a silly little Canadian sketch comedy show was also required to insert some Canadian culture bits into their show.

And you know what the result of that was, right?
    bob-doug-mckenzie.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    oh god I remember having to buy an rf switch for my goddamn n64 because my tv was made in a time where fake wood paneling was the thing to do
    I too had a tv enshrined in wood. and had to use my rf adapter all the way up to the gamecube.

n64 was the last one i had to modulate. on the plus side i sent away for the adaptor and got some special colored doors for the console. i also switched the front and back of all my different colored controllers. anyone else do that?

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I enjoyed the Red Green show as a child?

Also I have been using Hulu lately to catch up on the new shows that have been coming out on tv that I don't have time to watch when they are on.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My sister takes up all the space on the DVR on bullshit, so I pretty much rely on Hulu to see anything.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not on Hulu, but the second deleted scene from this week's Office is hilarious.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know what's a great show that's entirely on Hulu and everyone should watch right away?

This one

It's all about crazy shit happening during Prohibition and also immortal gangsters

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    You know what's a great show that's entirely on Hulu and everyone should watch right away?

This one

It's all about crazy shit happening during Prohibition and also immortal gangsters

Fuck yes

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Geek wrote: »

they have a psychotic obsession with protecting "canadian culture" and making sure that we somehow don't get too much american tv and music

but stuff like the "can-con" laws designed to force broadcasters to insert regular amounts of canadian content into their channels and stations are totally fucking stupid and don't actually do what they are intending to do

in theory, can-con (short for canadian content) are supposed to make sure that burgeoning canadian musicians and television shows aren't smothered by the more popular, higher profile stuff coming out of the US

so, radio stations for example are required by law to air a certain amount of songs per hour that are either written or performed primarily by canadians, so that way the stations would be forced to find some canadian content to showcase

in reality, what happens is that new canadian artists have a massive problem with actually getting airplay in their own country. radio stations have gotten used to filling out their can-con quota by playing canadian bands that are also popular in the US (nickleback, for example) or are so well-known and beloved by so many canadians that it won't be a distracting break from normal programming (like BNL or the Tragically Hip)

there's a lot of canadian bands who basically can't get airplay on canadian radio stations until they are popular in the US first

which makes the cultural protectionism of can-con completely retarded even beyond the idiocy it exhibits as an idea by default

But you forget (or were perhaps unaware) that due to this law, a silly little Canadian sketch comedy show was also required to insert some Canadian culture bits into their show.

bob-doug-mckenzie.jpg

The shittiness Pony describes is entirely accurate, due in part to the rules being woefully unstipulated. The thing about the percentage quota of per hour Canadian written or performed content does not entail full songs. It's entirely to the second. It was about 30 percent when I was going through the motions of having a radio show like 7 years ago. I think it depends on what kind of station and programming you're running. But anyway, you could conceivably play an 18 minute medley, or one Canadian song for 18 minutes and have filled your quota.

Add in the fact that most of these corporate stations have FURTHER quotas on playing only songs that have ever made it to the Top 60 to 100 billboard (some even top 40), and you see why stations are perfectly willing to kill two birds with one stone by just playing a double-shot of fucking Nickelback.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

bob-doug-mckenzie.jpg

The shittiness Pony describes is entirely accurate, due in part to the rules being woefully unstipulated. The thing about the percentage quota of per hour Canadian written or performed content does not entail full songs. It's entirely to the second. It was about 30 percent when I was going through the motions of having a radio show like 7 years ago. I think it depends on what kind of station and programming you're running. But anyway, you could conceivably play an 18 minute medley, or one Canadian song for 18 minutes and have filled your quota.

Add in the fact that most of these corporate stations have FURTHER quotas on playing only songs that have ever made it to the Top 60 to 100 billboard (some even top 40), and you see why stations are perfectly willing to kill two birds with one stone by just playing a double-shot of fucking Nickelback.

Take off, hoser.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

bob-doug-mckenzie.jpg

Take off, hoser.

guy.jpg

I don't ride around on a wheelchair for pity, I do it for respect!

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sal wrote: »
    I love Hulu

It enabled me to watch all of Arrested Development in a single weekend

Same here!

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

This one

I'll check it out

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    is Abed's dad on Community the principal on Glee?

I'm pretty sure he might be..

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Totally is.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Troy sneezes like a girl"

"How about I pound you like a boy! thatdidn'tcomeoutright"

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "To be fair Jim...James...Jimothy, To be fair Jimothy...

ugh, that sounds weird

do you mind if I call you Jim?"

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    caught first episode of the latest season of house which was actually a good episode

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    blackpyrblackpyr is a dandy warhol Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And to think, it only took six seasons to grow or develop the titular character.

blackpyr on
    cheAndy.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    blackpyr wrote: »
    And to think, it only took six seasons to grow or develop the titular character.

but now he's
    going back to practice diagnostic medicine because it's been the cure for his leg pain all along?

so basically he developed for two episodes and is now going back to normal but with a different haircut and no vicodin which may or may not have any effect on his character

Monoxide on
  • Options
    blackpyrblackpyr is a dandy warhol Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »

but now he's
    going back to practice diagnostic medicine because it's been the cure for his leg pain all along?

so basically he developed for two episodes and is now going back to normal but with a different haircut and no vicodin which may or may not have any effect on his character

See house come to terms with his brutal emotional neglect, his debilitating physical pain, and a no-nonsense psychiatrist on the edge - All while makin' his team miserable and driving his boss cr-a-zy . Mondays on Fox.

blackpyr on
    cheAndy.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »

but now he's

Are you seriously suggesting that he not go back to medicine

I mean, if you want the show to be canceled, just come out and say so

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    "To be fair Jim...James...Jimothy, To be fair Jimothy...

ugh, that sounds weird

do you mind if I call you Jim?"

I love the quiet "yes" Jim gives at "Jimothy."

Jimothy on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hulu is awesome, easily one of my favorite sites. The only thing that sucks is when they have something like Arrested Development or Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia, where they have a ton of content available, or in the case of Arrested Development, every single episode, but then change it to five rolling episodes. Other than that the ads aren't too annoying most of the time and the sheer amount of shows available is great. Plus being able to pause and come back to something, subscribe to certain shows, see other clips of behind the scenes stuff, etc.

I watch The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Heroes, House, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and The Tonight Show on it mainly. Community now too as that has been excellent so far. Hulu was well worth it for me just to be able to watch through Arrested Development the couple times that I have. Also check out the Simpson's occasionally and I'll go back to watching 24 again when that comes back on. Basically everything I would watch if I had cable, which I actually canceled in favor of not paying for it and just having Hulu.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    how was HIMYM tonight

YaYa on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it was pretty dang good

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2009
    yeah, they were really on their games this week

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    still not buying the whole Barney/Robin relationship though

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hey TLB
    bowl

bowl

bowl

bowl

bowl

bowl

bowl

bowl

bowl

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I kept thinking they were going to come back to that, but they never did.

Two Dead Poets references in one week of TV! This is like that time Ted and Michael Scott both quit their jobs and formed their own companies at the same time.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Bones had to shut down production because boreaniz caughtthe swine flu apparently D:

and yeah excellent episode of himym. Marshall remains the biggest reason to watch the show. When are they gonna give him a main focus on an episode instaed of dumb Ted and the Barney/robin thing that is cute but cmon focus on someone else please

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you darn kids with your hula hoops and pac-man video games and dan fogelberg musics

god I love this movie

I have seen it so many times

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it is good to meet other fans of the SMASH HIT Comedy BASEketball

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wacky adventures

Swill on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    I think its sad that broadcasting companies insist on using outdated methods to provide entertainment and there's little to no initiative to modify the methods in which television is presented other then relying on 3rd parties to do it for them.

Does ABC/NBC/FOX/Cable streaming work outside of the US, or is is just Hulu? Hulu's nice because it covers everything, and their player is more feature-rich, but the actual networks have been streaming their content for years now, before Hulu, I believe.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it is good to meet other fans of the SMASH HIT Comedy BASEketball

SOMEBODY GET THIS MAN A HOTDOG

freakish light on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rehab wrote: »
    Basically everything I would watch if I had cable, which I actually canceled in favor of not paying for it and just having Hulu.

I did the same and got a netflix account, I actually watch the same amount of television for less than half the price even before you factor in all the showtime programs.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wish I could do that, but all my roommate watches is the TV, so

still it would bring down my bill like $20/mo

freakish light on
This discussion has been closed.