As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Monocled Cock: D&D's List of Greatest Historical Figures

124»

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ew, no.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ew, no.

He's a real life Jay Gatsby!

@Pants: heh, I never caught the etymology of Charlemagne = Charles Magnus before.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Ew, no.

He's a real life Jay Gatsby!

@Pants: heh, I never caught the etymology of Charlemagne = Charles Magnus before.

Even more reason to haaaaaaaate him.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thought of a few more guys I've always really liked. Or, in the case of Von Braun, at least really respected.

<nominate>Wernher Von Braun</nominate>

<nominate>Yuri Gagarin</nominate>

<nominate>Neil Armstrong</nominate>

Also I think we ought to use categories when it comes time to vote. Otherwise it'll just be a question of whether D&D contains more artistic, scientific, or political/military types.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    <nomination>Peter Singer</nomination>
    Author of Animal Liberation, he basically founded the modern vegetarian/vegan movement and provided the basis for its continued moral philosophy. Also (arguably) an important proponent of utilitarianism in general.

<nomination>John Stuart Mill<nomination>

An extremely influential proponent of Utilitarian philosophy, a child prodigy, and a champion of the rights of the poor, women, and animals. Not content to merely write about social reform, he also decided to go and become a liberal politician:
    wiki wrote:
    During his time as an MP, Mill advocated easing the burdens on Ireland, and in 1869 became the first person in Parliament to call for women to be given the right to vote. Mill became a strong advocate of women's rights and such social reforms as labor unions and farm cooperatives. In Considerations on Representative Government, Mill called for various reforms of Parliament and voting, especially proportional representation, the Single Transferable Vote, and the extension of suffrage.

Plus, variations on his work dominated political philosophy up until Rawls shook up the scene in the seventies.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nomination>Thucydides</nomination>

For the Melian Dialogue alone, one of the earliest and most important political and historical thinkers.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thusly, I introduce The Monocled Cock, an award granted to those historical figures who most exemplify the human spirit, who have pushed the boundaries of what we were capable of, who have altered the course of human history for the better, who are not Canadian.

For some reason I didn't internalize this part of the OP.

<un-nominate>Sargon</un-nominate>
    <un-nominate>Akhenaten</un-nominate>
    <un-nominate>Moses</un-nominate>
    <un-nominate>Paul</un-nominate>
    <un-nominate>Muhammad</un-nominate>

Hammurabi can stay but only because his laws were probably better than what was around beforehand.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nomination>The Venerable Bede</nomination>
    • The only Englishman ever to become a Doctor of the Church
    • Popularised BC/AD dating in the West
    • Wrote the first history of the English people
    • Worked out that the tides were caused by the moon "dragging" the water round the earth
    • Instrumental in working out how to calculate the correct date of Easter
    • Was so popular as a writer that the scriptorium of his abbey had to invent a new, faster script to keep up with demand
    • A major figure in the Carolingian Renaissance
    • His work on Latin verse was the standard student text for two hundred years

And all without leaving Wearmouth-Jarrow.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, my first nomination is easy

[nominate]Galen[/nominate]

Basically one of the fathers of modern anatomy and the man whose work on anatomy would dominate the Western world for a millennium. Also I love his name.

Out of Japanese history, I saw Nobunaga but I would like to nominate [nominate]Tokugawa Ieyasu[/nominate].

Between him and his son he set up a governmental system that would last 250 years, bring peace to a wartorn country and lead to a period of internal cultural development that still affects the country to this day. Were Nobunaga was a conqueror, Ieyasu was a builder.

The last one I will nominate is [nominate] Pope Urban II [/nominate].

The man who started the Crusades. A movement that lead to the deaths of thousands, maybe millions of innocents but also lead to the end of the dark ages as the lost Greek classics, math and many other inventions spread from the Muslim world to Europe. Dieing two weeks before the fall of Jerusalem, this man never saw his dream realized but instead created a movement that ripples through today.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [nominate]Cao Cao[/nominate]

His popular image is so far from the truth, it is almost amusing.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nomination> Richard Feynman</nomination>

Cause he was awesome

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    <nomination> Richard Feynman</nomination>

Cause he was awesome

He was totally awesome. Choice quote from him:
    "Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The last one I will nominate is [nominate] Pope Urban II [/nominate].

The man who started the Crusades. A movement that lead to the deaths of thousands, maybe millions of innocents but also lead to the end of the dark ages as the lost Greek classics, math and many other inventions spread from the Muslim world to Europe. Dieing two weeks before the fall of Jerusalem, this man never saw his dream realized but instead created a movement that ripples through today.

[nominate]Pope Leo I[/nominate]

In signing the peace with Attilla, he started the Catholic church down the path of dominance it had until the reformation.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Where are all the EEs up in here?

<nomination>James Clerk Maxwell</nomination>
    <nomination>Michael Faraday</nomination>

I saw Armstrong in here already, but I'll also nominate

<nomination>Buzz Aldrin</nomination>

...as not only the second human being to walk on another goddamn world, but also the one who broke the lunar module, and then fixed it with a pen. Also probably the only one who punches moon truthers in the face.

Taximes on
  • Options
    skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nominate>Daniel Webster</nominate>

Pros:

Established the Eastern Border between the US and Canada

Prevented Dartmouth College from being turned into a state school
    "This, sir, is my case. It is the case not merely of that humble institution, it is the case of every college in our land... Sir, you may destroy this little institution; it is weak; it is in your hands! I know it is one of the lesser lights in the literary horizon of our country. You may put it out. But if you do so you must carry through your work! You must extinguish, one after another, all those greater lights of science which for more than a century have thrown their radiance over our land. It is, sir, as I have said, a small college. And yet there are those who love it!"
    Daniel Webster (Dartmouth College v. Woodward)
    Awesome debater: His speech here was unplanned and still regarded as one of the most eloquent to date.

He helped hold the US together as long as possible through compromise leading up to the Civil War.

Cons:

Tried for Presidency 3 times and failed all three, the last one because of his compromises

Attempts to steer the country away from civil war ultimately failed

Noted Gambler and Alcoholic.

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nomination>Thomas Paine</nomination>

Kanamit on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nomination>Julius Axelrod</nomination>

Julius Axelrod won the Nobel Prize for his work on the uptake and reuptake of catecholamine neurotransmitters, of which serotonin is the most notable.

His research is what made the development of Prozac, the first SSRI, possible.

Prozac arguably brought psychopharmacology into the mainstream. Psych drugs weren't just for creepy broken people anymore.

Furthermore, Prozac was not merely the first SSRI, but the first example of targeted drug development. Prior to the development of Prozac, drug discovery was largely trial-and-error. Eli Lilly was the first company to successfully develop a drug with a specific mechanism of action in mind, and that mechanism of action was first identified by Julius Axelrod.

<nomination>Albert Hoffman</nomination>

Albert Hoffman discovered - quite by accident - the hallucinogenic properties of LSD.

From art (acid flowed freely at Andy Warhol's Factory) to music (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, and pretty much everybody else in the late 1960s was doing a lot of acid) to computers (Steve Jobs and Wozniak, and Douglas Englebart, inventor of the mouse have all credited LSD for some of their inspiration) to politics (Richard Nixon passed the Controlled Substances Act in 1970 largely in response to the perceived connection between hippie activism and LSD use, kicking off the start of the modern drug war)... the influence of LSD on modern western culture is pervasive and immeasurable.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    <nomination>Erwin Schrodinger</nomination>
    <nomination>Werner Heisenberg</nomination>
    Both for large contributions to quantum mechanics.
    Also <nomination> Nicolaus Copernicus</nomination> as he hasn't been mentioned yet.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    did we already nominate Ben Franklin?

mm, I see we did

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget