As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Avicus wrote: »
    THE Ted wrote: »
    oh my god I hate this game so much. How can they make such a good game with such shitty lag and connection problems? I mean god damn its been two weeks already, and I'd probably understand if it was happening at like, oh I don't know peek hours like 7 PM BUT ITS 2AM, I'VE BEEN SICK FOR A WEEK I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE I WANT TO PLAY MY DAMN MMO

lag and connection problems? I have had nothing of the sort and I live in Australia, the farthest you can get from the servers. I haven't really heard of any connection problems either from anyone.

Are you sure that it isn't an issue with your computer and/or internet provider?

lag problems seem to be a pretty common complaint in their forums. I know i have them. I've heard their servers are located in seattle and boston, so after doing some sleuthing i found some random ip addresses in those locations, pings between 60-100 ms. My aion in game /ping ? 250-400 depending on the time of day (worst during primetime hours when the servers completely packed with queues)D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    THE Ted wrote: »
    oh my god I hate this game so much. How can they make such a good game with such shitty lag and connection problems? I mean god damn its been two weeks already, and I'd probably understand if it was happening at like, oh I don't know peek hours like 7 PM BUT ITS 2AM, I'VE BEEN SICK FOR A WEEK I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE I WANT TO PLAY MY DAMN MMO

lag and connection problems? I have had nothing of the sort and I live in Australia, the farthest you can get from the servers. I haven't really heard of any connection problems either from anyone.

Are you sure that it isn't an issue with your computer and/or internet provider?

lag problems seem to be a pretty common complaint in their forums. I know i have them. I've heard their servers are located in seattle and boston, so after doing some sleuthing i found some random ip addresses in those locations, pings between 60-100 ms. My aion in game /ping ? 250-400 depending on the time of day (worst during primetime hours when the servers completely packed with queues)D:

wow, I live in Australia and I get on average 250 - 300 which is fairly good for us over here.

I am pretty sure that their servers are all located in one spot close to the eastern side of the US ( think it may be Atlanta).

I have also heard that the ingame ping result is not accurate at all and if you actually ping the proper ip addresses it will give you the more accurate result.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    95% of the people complaining about lag issues it's their own shitty ISP and virus-infested PC...

JediNight on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JediNight wrote: »
    95% of the people complaining about lag issues it's their own shitty ISP and virus-infested PC...

This.

Havent had any lag problems while playing upto level 33.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Badwrong wrote: »

This.

Havent had any lag problems while playing upto level 33.

Well my connection isn't the fastest (3 megabit up / 1.5 down) however according to my bandwidth monitor Aion seldom breaks 20 kilobits down/15 up, that coupled with the fact i ping well under 100 in warhammer/champions/WoW and that so many people are having this issue makes me tempted to assume something is wonky somewhere

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

I hate to "pull this card", but I'm a network engineer that routinely deals with complex connectivity issues, and it's rarely, rarely this simple. If a substantial portion of the customer-at-large is making the same complaint, there's usually something to it.

Just because you and I aren't having issues doesn't mean it's not network related (as it relates to NCSoft's chosen infrastructure provider - in this respect). I'm also not saying it's to blame. I'm just saying that you can't dismiss the complaints by blaming it on malware and other agents that usually manifest themselves in a variety of ways, and not just how poorly a given person may be able to connect to a given service/game/website/whatever.

Teth on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it may just be as simple as the servers are located on the East Coast as opposed to the west coast like most games.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm on the east coast, and rule my network with an iron fist, and I'm still having rubberbanding issues in Elten. It also happens in Sanctum. It's always in areas without multiple channels to alleviate some of the pressure.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    it may just be as simple as the servers are located on the East Coast as opposed to the west coast like most games.

Well, the datacenter(s) where the servers/farms/what-have-you could be located in the dead center of the most accessible portion of the Internet (Northern Virginia, USA) but that wouldn't guarantee anything. Well, it wouldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be issues for people in certain locations, in any given week, anyways.

Hell, one time I had to deal with an issue where customers from random locations in the state had issues connecting to a single application. This app was behind various layers of firewalls and other route-affecting entities (including many other security-related things, QoS, application virtualiztion agents, etc). It seemed pretty random, but many people were complaining. Without providing a wall of text of exactly why it occurred, it came down to a single device handled by a single vendor (ISP) within a single location (a corporate building) for our entire, state-wide WAN. I'm not saying the problem is nearly that complex, but it's just an example of how a single point of failure can cause failure for some, but otherwise not affect the majority of customers.

Teth on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I finally worked out my lag/rubberbanding issues. Turns out it was my anti-virus software...

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    While I love Aion (i realize my last few posts have been rather negative so I thought i'd clarify that ;) )

I really think another part of the problem is that it just has shitty network code. While a 200 ping isn't great and higher than it should be, i used to play WoW and CoH on satellite internet with a 600 ping and got next to no rubberbanding, compared to aion where everyone warps all over the place at 200 .

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I for one am happy that I have been receiving no notable lag. Although, I haven't stepped ...wing.. into the
    Abyss yet.

Played a mage for a bit last night. Glass cannon is right. I was hitting like a fucking fire spewing Death Star, but so help me god, I need some armor over that thermal exhaust port.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I for one am happy that I have been receiving no notable lag. Although, I haven't stepped ...wing.. into the
    Abyss yet.

Played a mage for a bit last night. Glass cannon is right. I was hitting like a fucking fire spewing Death Star, but so help me god, I need some armor over that thermal exhaust port.

Snare and kite, snare and kite!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I gave this a spin yesterday. The language showed up in Korean at first and it took me a couple of minutes to get that fixed. Once I got in game though well... I couldn't see chat because of all the gold seller spam (is there anyway to turn that crap off?). Right now I just have my combat tab open since I couldn't see chat anyway.

The actual game itself?

OMG this is FUN! I stayed up way late last night trying to hit level 5 before bed. I plan on doing a summoner.

dasnoob on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    dasnoob wrote: »
    So I gave this a spin yesterday. The language showed up in Korean at first and it took me a couple of minutes to get that fixed. Once I got in game though well... I couldn't see chat because of all the gold seller spam (is there anyway to turn that crap off?). Right now I just have my combat tab open since I couldn't see chat anyway.

The actual game itself?

OMG this is FUN! I stayed up way late last night trying to hit level 5 before bed. I plan on doing a summoner.

First thing you should do when logging in is typing /anon to make yourself Invisible to Searches. For now, I'd leave General and Looking For Group. If anyone whispers you, just right-click their name and Block them. You can also do that in General and LFG Chat if you want... since they have to be lvl 5 at least to use those channels, you can usually eliminate the spam for a few hours once you get the 1-5 spam bots on at any given time.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I tried both a gladiator and an assassin, hated both of them but now i've rolled a sorc and I'm having the time of my life.

The Rocking M on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rule #23: Don't jump while riding an elevator on this game.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aion is a game about thousands of immortal higher beings falling to their deaths.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Rule #23: Don't jump while riding an elevator on this game.

Rule #24: Don't ride elevators if you want to live.

Hell, even then, I've fallen victim of getting DC'd while in air flying up and down from that damn fortress. Ka-splat.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yustiel go boom.

Right as I finally upgraded spartawhatshisname's hauberk to the L30 quest blue for 100k. I think the transition from chain armor to pink dress (with about 50% better stats) crashed the server!

Wait... what?!? You can upgrade quest items? Or are you just saying you finally found replacement armor? Because I dumped Spatula's armor the second I got it. Being an armorsmith means that the quest armor they give you is almost always about 2 levels behind what I'm already wearing.
    I'm on the east coast, and rule my network with an iron fist, and I'm still having rubberbanding issues in Elten. It also happens in Sanctum. It's always in areas without multiple channels to alleviate some of the pressure.
    There are some machine specific timing issues that are probably to blame. Ella and i play side by side, on the same exact connection. Up until the megabit switch located less than ten feet from our individual machines, all of the copper is the same. She has horrible rubberbanding issues, while I have none. However, when cutscenes play, hers are shown at a noticeably higher frame rate/speed. She also runs faster than I do (in game) - until the rubberband pulls her back to where she should be.

I recall we had a similar issue with WAR for the first few months.

I suspect it's a video clocking issue.
    Aion is a game about thousands of immortal higher beings falling to their deaths.

I see complaints about the elevator all the time, but I don't understand how that happens. I mean, you've got WINGS! Why would you -ever- use an elevator? The little baby flight potions that sell for like 65 kinah add 12 seconds of flight. If you can't make it up one floor in 12 seconds, you're going to have one HELL of a time in The Abyss!

Falling to death in The Abyss is a different story. There, you're aloft 95% of the time and if you're not watching the flight timer like a hawk, it's not difficult to out when you're over nothing and the game will kill you after six seconds of freefall. Or you can do like me and land safely right next to 20 or so enemy players. Same effect... less soul healing.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd definetly rather die fighting 10 Asmodeans than falling in an elevator shaft.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stupid wrote: »
    Yustiel go boom.

Right as I finally upgraded spartawhatshisname's hauberk to the L30 quest blue for 100k. I think the transition from chain armor to pink dress (with about 50% better stats) crashed the server!

Wait... what?!? You can upgrade quest items? Or are you just saying you finally found replacement armor? Because I dumped Spatula's armor the second I got it. Being an armorsmith means that the quest armor they give you is almost always about 2 levels behind what I'm already wearing.

Replaced http://www.aionarmory.com/item.aspx?id=110500795

with

http://www.aionarmory.com/item.aspx?id=110500849#item-set

which looks like

http://www.aionarmory.com/screenshot.aspx?id=2987#2987

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone playing on Meslamtaeda? Didn't find this thread until my glad was already 20, but this server seems much more balanced. Less crowded, and a more even class allocation.

Cubemonkey on
    Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, Yustiel is a pretty awesome server overall.

Elyos are a slight underdog, but we're rocking the Abyss like no other. We control, what, 2 fortresses and 7 or 8 artifacts already?

I get the occasional "Asmodean is closed for character creation" which means that we're doing more with less.

And finally, after playing a ranger to 25, chanter to 22, glad to 18, and cleric to 18, I think I've finally decided on my sorceror. Trudging through about 16-20 kinda sucked because of the huge mana drain, but once I dinged 20, everything got better with Lumiel's Wisdom and Robe of Earth. At 22, you get a new rank of Absorb Energy, which makes things even better. At this point, I run Robe of Fire for the magic boost instead of Earth, since Wisdom + Absorb covers almost all of my mana usage. I have to hit Mana Treatment about once every half an hour of heavy grinding, or not at all if I'm heavy questing, since I regen while standing around talking to people.

Ender on
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Server goes down. Stuck trying to log in for five minutes. Stuck trying to select server for five minutes. Character loaded. /3 full of not goldsellers (blocked them when logging on for the first time that day two hours ago,) but other users lol'ing at their pingtimes, having died to an easy-peezy mob, or the funny things they are doing with rubberbandness (like repeatedly jumping off the same cliff.) Tried a few rubber band tricks. Died to an easy-peezy mob.
    All because my fibre connection is too fast and I am a network security nazi. Now I feel guilty, and have decided that it could in no way be a problem with the server. Maybe I will switch out my C2D Xeon (running at 3.38ghz) with something a little more overkill, and change out my 6mb/1.5mb fibre connection for something a bit snappier, only after formatting and reinstalling for the second time in the past month.

oh wait.

(Server and population issues aside, overall pretty impressed for my first weekend. Got a scout to L8 and a warrior to L9, but just couldn't make the "jump" to ascension until the rest of my little "jaded with WoW" guild gets in on it.)
    brief system specs mentioned not for bragging rights, but full detail 1920x1200 4xAA, I am locked to 60fps. yes, I could own/build a faster rig or upgrade this one, but really...

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I picked this up today. I wanna play Elyos but all my SE++ friends are playing Asmodae, so I'mma roll either a Cleric or a Chanter on Yustiel with you guys and the Elyos Guild.

I'm not sure what I'll roll on Asmodae side. Probably a Ranger.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I picked this up today. I wanna play Elyos but all my SE++ friends are playing Asmodae, so I'mma roll either a Cleric or a Chanter on Yustiel with you guys and the Elyos Guild.

I'm not sure what I'll roll on Asmodae side. Probably a Ranger.

Have fun bunny hopping on that Ranger.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quick question:

Do Templars have any AoE +emnity abilities?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    hellyea526hellyea526 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Quick question:

Do Templars have any AoE +emnity abilities?

yup, its an insignia skill, don't remember what its called

hellyea526 on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well my connection isn't the fastest (3 megabit up / 1.5 down) however according to my bandwidth monitor Aion seldom breaks 20 kilobits down/15 up, that coupled with the fact i ping well under 100 in warhammer/champions/WoW and that so many people are having this issue makes me tempted to assume something is wonky somewhere

Latency != Bandwidth

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So im finally 100 for alchemy and armorsmithing but man now I have like 5k money :(

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a couple of Asmodean characters on Meslamtaeda just to see the other side's quests.
    They atcually have slight neater quests. The while Witch in the woods thing is alot more entertaining than the "kill shit then close the Abyss Gate that you found 30 seconds ago in the most mundane way possible"

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Asmo starting area is a bit more interesting, but I also think it's not laid out as well as the Elyos one, nor is it nearly as pretty. I guess that is kind of the point though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cubemonkey wrote: »
    Anyone playing on Meslamtaeda? Didn't find this thread until my glad was already 20, but this server seems much more balanced. Less crowded, and a more even class allocation.

I'm on Meslamtaeda. Ikari is my chars name, Asmo side. Are you Asmo or Elyos?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    phoenix555555phoenix555555 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I just got this game, and having a blast just messing with characters. I was thinking of making my Gladiator my main, but I keep reading on the forums that they get their faces rocked by pretty much every other class in pvp.

Now, I know better than to completely trust any MMO's official forum, so I was wondering what fellow PA'ers think of the Gladiator.

phoenix555555 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Started my first character and played to level 12 on Yustiel today. It feels very generic - which isnt necessarily bad - and hellaciously pretty. I'm enjoying Chanter, though there seem to be a shitton.

Next thing I try out will probably be Spiritmaster, at this point.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    hellyea526hellyea526 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I just got this game, and having a blast just messing with characters. I was thinking of making my Gladiator my main, but I keep reading on the forums that they get their faces rocked by pretty much every other class in pvp.

Now, I know better than to completely trust any MMO's official forum, so I was wondering what fellow PA'ers think of the Gladiator.

gladiator's get rocked in 1v1 pvp mainly because other classes can easily kite them. they do fine in group pvp though.

hellyea526 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    When does PvPvE become a viable thing?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    skace wrote: »

Latency != Bandwidth

I'm a network engineer, i know the difference, however low bandwidth does lead to high latency as packets queue up at your ISP's routers

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    When does PvPvE become a viable thing?

Around the time you enter the Abyss. But the PvP has to get going a little first. That and we need the Asmodians on the Yustiel server to get their fucking shit together. The Elyos took two fortresses and the Asmodians had none. The next day we lost one to the PvE because the Abyss was unbalanced. We're waiting with out thumbs up our butts for the Asmos to get a few fortresses so we can start the best part of the game. Three Faction Simultaneous Siege warfare.

Imagine an entrenched fortress being battered by siege weaponry, the gates are about to fall when out of the warp comes the Dredgion, the super Balaur ship, and it drops wave after wave of shock troops. So, when that happens, who do you fight? The enemy, or the other enemy? Because you can only attack one person at a time.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker