As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pg2

2»

• yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    :D Thank you! Yeah I tend to have a lot of fun playing with different styles and approaches, which was frowned down upon my last year at art college :( We where told that to market yourself well you need to stick with a distinct style, but I'm kind of scatter brained when it comes to making images. But the way I see it, someones style just kind of comes naturally, even if its all over the place it still looks like their brand of work, so i dunno.

Here's a work in progress I've neglected for a while, not sure what I want to do with it but right now its pretty MEH

560x407.jpeg

oh and heres a robot I made for a flash animation

560x309.jpeg

560x420.jpeg

Also a painting I'm working on in acrylic gouche

yogurt on
    edited September 2009
    So I've just been featured on http://www.bumperstickerz.com and have 10+ vinyl stickers for sale! Direct link to my page is right here: http://www.bumperstickerz.com/artist-series-kevin-vitella-bumper-stickers.htm

1000342-17-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-08-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-10-00-00-00_lg.png

1000342-07-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-19-00-00-00_lg.png

1000342-03-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-05-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-09-00-00-00_lg.png

1000342-14-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-15-00-00-00_lg.png

1000342-13-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-12-00-00-00_lg.png

1000342-18-00-00-00_lg.png1000342-16-00-00-00_lg.png

and more..

Tell me what you think? Or maybe pick one up :)

Also, here's an image I made for a promotional postcard:
    336x420.jpeg336x420.jpeg

Been busy with a lot of projects lately, so more to come!

yogurt on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those I'm a dog/cat person stickers are just great. Cleeever and stylish.

As far as your question though, I dunno what pieces you were referring to in particular, but I hardly ever use Illustrator, and I almost always use Photoshop. I do some stuff by hand to but then I usually do touch ups in PS.

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    I was just wondering what people thought of the stickers, if they look sell-able or not. But thanks I'm glad you enjoyed the dog/cat person stickers :)

yogurt on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes I would totally pay monies for that first dog sticker, and I will!

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks man thats awesome!

Oh and here's a night vision cat

289x420.jpeg

yogurt on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the avacado and the onion and am tempted to pick them up. How big are they and is there any way you could make them into a decal?

SkyGheNe on
    edited September 2009
    Not too sure what you mean by decal but this was taken from the front page of the website:

"Our Bumper Stickers Are Removable!

Our bumper stickers are rated for 3 years outdoor use, yet come off easily and cleanly when you want to remove them. They won't leave gunk or gluey residue on your car!"

As for size, I'm not too sure how large they print them, but the image that pops up if you click the small picture may be actual size

yogurt on
    edited October 2009
    (EDIT: The only boobs are you! I figure the only way to lure people into my thread was with promise of massive mammaries since you either need to be a chick or have some sort of long history with the forum to get any response)

Been a little while, but I haven't spent this whole time sitting on my thumb (not all of it anyway). Heres what I have to show, but still so much more to come as I cant seem to keep focused on one project at a time and have a lot on the backlog.

babybear peepin the hive
    800x820.jpeg

I recently got to do some artwork to promote a track off of Del the Funky Homosapien and Tame One's upcoming Parallel Uni-Verses album, the top one is the one being used:
    800x800.jpeg
    800x800.jpeg
    600x600.jpeg

This is a test page I sent in to a comic publisher for a vampire horror story script they sent me (didn't get the job :( )
    600x776.jpeg

Neverwhere character concepts, major WIP:
    Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar
    720x900.jpeg

The Marquis
    720x900.jpeg

Some funky imp monkey:
    600x900.jpeg

Last but not least, my new postcard to send to clients:
    800x1200.jpeg

K maybe you guys can help me out. I've been overly stressed lately and its been hindering my work progress. I dont know if I'm developing a style or if I'm all over the place, but I'm just doin what I'm doin. Aside from making a living off of my art, I dont know what I want to do. I'm sort of scatter brained in that category, as I have an interest in concept art, editorial illustration, childrens book illustration, book/cd cover illustration, etc. I cant seem to zero in and hone one category because I'm just starting out and am finding it hard to do. Recently for jobs (aside from delivering pizzas full time :(:(:( ) I've just been surfing the job forum over at deviant art, getting small jobs here and there that pay nothing, but I figure I have to start somewhere. I've been sending postcards to clients and e-mailing as many art directors as possible, but no bites. I'd love to hear any advice anyone might have. What do you think my strong points are, and what can you see my work being used as? Know any good publishers, clients, studios, anything that I should contact/aim for? Thanks for reading this rant and I hope to get my head straight soon.

yogurt on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool stuff, but where are the giant boobs you hinted in thread title?

deadlydorito on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool stuff, but where are the giant boobs you hinted in thread title?

itsatrap.jpg

DeeLock on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    most important thing first

that is NOT your URL, and don't expect everyone who gets your postcard to figure it out for themselves

i'm not entirely sure why you put a backslash in there instead of http://kvitella.carbonmade.com ... was that a typo?

i like everything about that postcard except for the fonts you've used, and the mistake in the URL

mully on
  • cspacklercspackler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No boobs? Oh well, great artwork though.

cspackler on
    edited October 2009
    Oh crap... yes it is a typo :O thanks for catching that for me! And I agree about the font, I find myself font-retarded when it comes to choosing type. Its a good thing I only got 25 of them for $5.25 (unfortunately the shipping was $6 :( )

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked what i have to show!

I just need to know if these melons are oddly shaped or if its just me:
    square-watermelon.jpg

har har

yogurt on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, I love your stuff. And as for your question on the previous page, i think your strong points happen to be pretty much all of the styles that were present in your bumper stickers. I really REALLY loved the pen inky dog/cat ones, and i also lurved the bear chick and a few others.

Honestly the weakest thing ive seen so far has got to be the comic, it felt....stiff, and a little...I think you used to many special brushes but it just read to me as "crappy photoshoppy comic" (especially the blood splatter in the last panel) The speech bubbles were also subpar, they clashed with the overall look of the comic.

ANyway, hoped that helped I think you have a lot of great stuff going on in this thread and i really want to see some more!

worstcase on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think that a lot of employers want to see portfolios catered to whatever field it is you're applying for
    if it's children's book illustration, you should have a portfolio and range of work that is suitable for that (i honestly see nothing on your site that would pique the interest of a publishing house doing work for children... it's all sort of dark or urban stuff, kids stuff has to be somewhat saccharine to sell, it's just the way the industry works)
    if you want to do character design, put a bit of time into developing characters and throw those in there.

right now your work says to me that you'd be more suited to working on music industry stuff, promo work, cd covers, that sort of thing, but you still seem to be feeling out a style.

for finding clients, you're doing all the things i did so eh! it works eventually!

beavotron on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the kind words! Yes usually when I send out an e-mail to a client I attach a select three works I think would be most appropriate, and so far I have like 0 childrens book content on my site. But, I do have a childrens book concept I'm currently working on, so you'll see that soon enough.

Here's an image I've been comin back to over and over again, it started out as a sketch of a bonsai tree and kinda grew into this:
    694x992.jpeg

Having trouble deciding when to call it quits on this, Tell me what you think?

yogurt on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You art is super rad and that CD cover is completely awesome and I would buy a CD because of it

The Black Hunter on
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, boobs or gtfo.

You could do some pretty damn awsome childrens book art. A friend of mine did standard english in year 12 and they analyzed some childrens books. Turns ou tthat some kid's book shave incredible hidden meanings within their art and stuff, it is a very serious bussiness!

deadlydorito on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, boobs or gtfo.

You could do some pretty damn awsome childrens book art. A friend of mine did standard english in year 12 and they analyzed some childrens books. Turns ou tthat some kid's book shave incredible hidden meanings within their art and stuff, it is a very serious bussiness!

it is potentially the single hardest field of illustration to break into.
    Especially right now
    There might be hidden meaning in the illustrations, but people who do not sort of stick to a more bright, colorful, sugary sweet exterior do not get call backs anymore.

The industry changes of course, but children's book illustration is HARD to get into. I've been trying to break into it for about 2 years, I've talked to some of the pros, and they all say the same "keep trying, you're talented, but publishing house art directors are VERY particular and VERY biased towards certain styles"

you could do self published gigs. they're a dime a dozen and only about 1 in a million ever makes it anywhere
    I never accept them though, because most major publishing houses don't accept authors that have an illustrator already, they want control over that.

beavotron on
    edited October 2009
    righto beaver. Its very interesting though. I wanna read a childrens book by terry pratchet illustrated by the guy that does his wacky stuff. it. would. ROCK.

so what do you do bra, you pro artist or something?

deadlydorito on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I came in looking for boobs and instead found a kickass pic of Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar.

I call that a win.

edit: by the way, I should mention that I saw the picture before I read the text, and my first thought was "shit, those guys look exactly like Croup and Vandemar would look." Then I read that that's who they were, and I was happy.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks KalTorak, you dont know how juiced I was to read that you liked em an thought they where spot on without seeing names!

Beavotron - yep you said it, I had a children's book class with a pretty great professor who couldn't stress enough about how hard it is to get into. But like anything, if you come up with a good style and most importantly a good concept, there might be a chance. I'd love to do a book like The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka, it was a favorite as a kid.

deadlydorito - I'm not a pro artist, just some kid who as of last april graduated from art school and delivers pizzas :( but hey, I'm tryin to get out there and i wont stop

welll here are those boobs i promised:
    windowlicker.jpg

and i dont want to end a post with out showing some art, here's a study I did at about 4 this morning when I couldnt sleep:
    800x696.jpeg

yogurt on
    edited October 2009
    OH GOD ITS A TRAP.

deadlydorito on
    edited October 2009
    curses-foiled-again.serendipityThumb.gif

here's a doodle i did the other day, kinda looks like the moon from Majora's Mask

450x563.jpeg

yogurt on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wait so
    was that actually FOR del?
    or just some dude that wanted a custom cd cover or something

RubberAC on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Beavs wrote:
    The industry changes of course, but children's book illustration is HARD to get into. I've been trying to break into it for about 2 years, I've talked to some of the pros, and they all say the same "keep trying, you're talented, but publishing house art directors are VERY particular and VERY biased towards certain styles"

Personally I'll be very dissapointed if your not doing childrens books at some stage. As soon as I have kids I'm buying a shitload of your prints to put on their wall.

Mustang on
    edited October 2009
    I agree, I have no doubt beavo wont be doing that. (I'm not sure if that sentance made sense, but what I'm saying is I BELIEVE IN YOU) And Beavo, i thought your avatar was a sleep-deprived caffine-induced delusion.

RubberAC, I'm friends with someone whos apart of Parallel Thought, and they produced the entire new album Parallel Uni-Verses that will be in stores Oct 13. The label had asked them for some promotional artwork for a leak of a track off the album, and they came to me. The label loved it and hopefully it opens some doors, nadamean?

yogurt on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yogurt wrote: »
    RubberAC, I'm friends with someone whos apart of Parallel Thought, and they produced the entire new album Parallel Uni-Verses that will be in stores Oct 13. The label had asked them for some promotional artwork for a leak of a track off the album, and they came to me. The label loved it and hopefully it opens some doors, nadamean?

Very sick man, grats on them using the promo art. That is a pretty damn cool thing.

Prospicience on
    edited October 2009
    (EDIT: Tweaked the hat a little bit)
    450x908.jpeg
    It began as a warm up study from a picture of Bruce Willis from Die Hard, needless to say it didnt end that way

yogurt on
  • Chris Cross >:(Chris Cross >:( Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    It looks like you rushed through your structure in order to decorate.

Chris Cross >:( on
    edited October 2009
    Chris Cross - I think its the hat size and how it sits on his head. What looks off to you?

450x630.jpeg
    This is a birthday card I did today for my brother today

yogurt on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ya know having just bought a Wii and being all over Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii; I find this very amusing. I'm not so sure about the coloring on Bowser's hands and claws, it looks kind of sloppy. The overall picture works great though.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Very sick man, grats on them using the promo art. That is a pretty damn cool thing.

holy, yeah that's goddamn awesome

RubberAC on
  • Chris Cross >:(Chris Cross >:( Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Chris Cross - I think its the hat size and how it sits on his head. What looks off to you?

Yogurt - I mean that there isn't very much structure. With the hat, I don't really believe the angle, it almost feels like you should be under it more. It's kind of hard to read because the angle of your ellipse gets lost with the grass hanging down over the edge. The structure doesn't feel super believable but it has really nice texture, which makes if feel off.

I really like the sense of space you're able to create even though you're using a lot of patterns, which has a tendency to flatten things out. The image is really divided into fore, middle, and background which works great. I'd just like to see a more interesting structure with the figure and less patterns and intricate textures.

Chris Cross >:( on