As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ruined semi-cool drawing with color. Help?

Drakkar11Drakkar11 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Long story short, I suck with color, but I love line. I ruined this poster idea I had by adding too much color. If anyone can see past the mind numbing red and muddy puddles, what direction should I go in from here?

Uncolored Image
Uncolored_poster_by_drakkar11.jpg

Colored Image
Colored_poster_by_drakkar11.jpg

Drakkar11 on

• Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is this paint?

sharpen your details. that's really the only direction to go in. I like the hand in the bottom right corner.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Drakkar11Drakkar11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was thinking of drawing over it to get my detail again then painting it all a flat color or dramatically changing the color. I'm not so concerned with what I should do with detail, I should say. I just hate the color! What don't people like about it? And yeah, it is done in paint.

Drakkar11 on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hm...well...I don't mind the color, it's a little haphazard...it just isn't finished. there's no shading or detail. so it's hard to really say anything about it.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks to me like there are too many colors. There's no scheme or overall theme to the piece. It looks like you just used different colors to differentiate objects. Which is ok, but simplistic. Better to vary values, while having some kind of color scheme. Like complimentary, analogous, triadic(which you're probably closest to as of now), etc. You may want to define the forms a bit more, though I'm not sure if you were aiming to achieve a flat style. If that was the case, I'm going to say you succeeded.

And I would maybe add more detail as srsizzy said, but it all depends on what size you're working at. If it's small, like 8.5x11 or smaller, you're probably looking pretty good. And if bigger, I'd add more detail for sure.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    your subject is far more cool and desaturated then your background

the eye is drawn to warm and saturate tones

meaning we're focusing on the negative space far more than the subject

lead the eye to the most important points, then give it finer details there to keep it moving. Right now, you've got a strong composition ruined by poor color choice and no detail or delineation of forms

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ...That too!

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think it looks rad

it needs a bit of sharpening and cleaning up, but it should turn out great

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I think it looks great broooooooooooooo.

deadlydorito on