As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm on Meslamtaeda. Ikari is my chars name, Asmo side. Are you Asmo or Elyos?

Duren on the Elyos side. A giant red headed gladiator. I guess I'll see you in the Abyss :)

CostanzaK wrote: »
    Imagine an entrenched fortress being battered by siege weaponry, the gates are about to fall when out of the warp comes the Dredgion, the super Balaur ship, and it drops wave after wave of shock troops. So, when that happens, who do you fight? The enemy, or the other enemy? Because you can only attack one person at a time.[/

Not if you're a gladiator :mrgreen:

Cubemonkey on
    Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    When does PvPvE become a viable thing?

The enemy, or the other enemy? Because you can only attack one person at a time.

Well I have seen dredgions do two things to forts we had controlled.

The first is just do a fly by and knock out the shield generator.

The second is actually dropping troops , which from my perspective on the ground just looked like shitloads of baluar teleporting into existence all over the fortress at the same time which doesn't give you much of a chance to defend. These baluar teleporting in are no push overs either , they were level 40 elite and have a different AI, If you try and run past a baluar fighting an NPC guard, they will change target to the player and blast you. These baluar are totally capable of one shotting players over level 37 and took the fortress over and killed the guardian in about 3 min.

I definitely got the impression that these guys get what they want and it will be awhile before the player base is of high enough level to fight off these guys.

I'm all for it because it shakes up the balance and keeps people from sitting on forts and doing nothing but defending.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm playing Asmo on the server mentioned in the OP. The forum for the Asmo side looks pretty damn dead. I also noticed our influence is 0 and the elyos is 16...

I'm getting the feeling I might have picked the wrong faction lol.

Other than that hit 8 last night. Still having a blast. I was originally going to go spiritmaster but might go sorc since I love large alphastrikes.

dasnoob on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Plate armor looks significantly more badass on Asmos. I think I might have to make a Glad.

That is all.

Also I'm back from my trip. I made a Asmo on Meslamtaeda, instead of Ariel because I have some RL friends playing there. I should start playing my Elyos dude today or tomorrow again though. I want to break 20 and start getting to cooler content.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Why do so many gamers make the evil factions in games like these? Is it because your stereotypical hardcore gamer identifies with the dark, evil characters? I'll never understand. Elyos are just nicer to look at.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cubemonkey wrote: »
    Why do so many gamers make the evil factions in games like these? Is it because your stereotypical hardcore gamer identifies with the dark, evil characters? I'll never understand. Elyos are just nicer to look at.
    now i am nitpicking here, but according to the game lore Asmodians aren't evil..well, not any more evil than the Elyos anyway. The only real villains are the Balaur

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's not really true, I think. One of the bigger differences between Aion and, say, WoW, is that there is no ugly race. You can make an asmodean that just looks darkly beautiful, like a Drow Elf or something like that.

Also, as said above, the asmodeans aren't necessarily evil, they just look like it.

Thirdly, -someone- has to oppose those self-righteous douchebags up there in sun land.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    now i am nitpicking here, but according to the game lore Asmodians aren't evil..well, not any more evil than the Elyos anyway. The only real villains are the Balaur

IIRC the lore is that the empyrean lords that ultimately became the Asmo leaders criticized the Elyos for not being aggressive and warlike enough.

So, ok, maybe not evil, but less good and peaceful :P

Rend wrote: »

Thirdly, -someone- has to oppose those self-righteous douchebags up there in sun land.

I could say the same about the ugly Asmo brutes.

I sound like I'm RPing. I'm not...

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, as I understand it, when the Asmodeans met the Elyos in the Abyss, one of the Asmodean Empyrean Lords just fucking killed the Elyos band that was exploring.

Fuck you guys.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    no you started it!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Clearly we're not going to get anywhere discussing this. I propose we settle our differences via a drawn out war in which we'll fight back and forth over strategically-placed fortresses, all the time murdering eachother over old grudges while the true evil continues to roll over the both of us like so many stunned rabbits on a highway.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Clearly we're not going to get anywhere discussing this. I propose we settle our differences via a drawn out war in which we'll fight back and forth over strategically-placed fortresses, all the time murdering eachother over old grudges while the true evil continues to roll over the both of us like so many stunned rabbits on a highway.

This.

As a footnote, the war will be fought by infinite legions of immortal troops.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, as I understand it, when the Asmodeans met the Elyos in the Abyss, one of the Asmodean Empyrean Lords just fucking killed the Elyos band that was exploring.

Fuck you guys.

I thought we didn't know what happened when the Asmo/Elyos/Balaur met at the tower.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Fuck you guys.

I thought we didn't know what happened when the Asmo/Elyos/Balaur met at the tower.

There's a ton of lore out there, just hit Google and go to town.

If I remember right, there were no Asmo/Elyos at first, just a group of 12 or so bad ass generals. Some of them wanted peace with the Balaur, some didn't think it was possible. Two of the higher up generals convinced everyone else to invite the Balaur into the shields to discuss peace, and one of the generals (who later went to the Asmo side) assasinated a Balaur higher up, which ruined the peace takes and led to the tower getting 'ploded and splitting Atreia.

At first, Elyos/Asmo weren't at war with each other, but after a few hundred years some Elyos found some Rifts and went to the Asmodeans to try and work together to kick out the Baluar. The Asmodeans still blamed the Elyos for inviting the Balaur into the shields in the first place, so the Elyos group was wiped out, eventually triggering the Elyos/Asmo war.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This.

I'll agree, but only if we can attribute and deduct points for every little victory and defeat. These points must determine the ranks of our immortal troops and what cool equipment they can utilize on the field.

I'll keep track. It's only hundreds of thousands of angels.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    If I remember right, there were no Asmo/Elyos at first, just a group of 12 or so bad ass generals. Some of them wanted peace with the Balaur, some didn't think it was possible. Two of the higher up generals convinced everyone else to invite the Balaur into the shields to discuss peace, and one of the generals (who later went to the Asmo side) assasinated a Balaur higher up, which ruined the peace takes and led to the tower getting 'ploded and splitting Atreia.

At first, Elyos/Asmo weren't at war with each other, but after a few hundred years some Elyos found some Rifts and went to the Asmodeans to try and work together to kick out the Baluar. The Asmodeans still blamed the Elyos for inviting the Balaur into the shields in the first place, so the Elyos group was wiped out, eventually triggering the Elyos/Asmo war.

Except that the lore is ambiguous on who even killed the Balaur Lord. Some say it was Azphel, seeing as he was one of the vocal Empyrean Lords that didn't want to risk a peace treaty with the Balaur. But no one actually saw who landed the blow.

As for the Elyos venturing into the Rifts, both sides have their version. Elyos may say they were there to try to unite with the Asmodeans, whereas the Asmodeans themselves say one of their scouting parties were slaughtered by the Elyos before one of their Lords came in to "interrogate" Delthras.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This.

I'll agree, but only if we can attribute and deduct points for every little victory and defeat. These points must determine the ranks of our immortal troops and what cool equipment they can utilize on the field.

If I may suggest an addendum to this plan? I propose we heavily penalize any of the immortal troops for dying in a way that does not involve a soldier from the other side, so as to discourage them from fighting the common enemy of ours. And I suggest we enforce this harsh penalty for when one of our soldiers accidentally misses a mark in flight and dies due to the effect known as Large Area Gravitation flux, or LAG. An "idiot tax" if you will.

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This.

If I may suggest an addendum to this plan? I propose we heavily penalize any of the immortal troops for dying in a way that does not involve a soldier from the other side, so as to discourage them from fighting the common enemy of ours. And I suggest we enforce this harsh penalty for when one of our soldiers accidentally misses a mark in flight and dies due to the effect known as Large Area Gravitation flux, or LAG. An "idiot tax" if you will.

Sir, I'm sorry to interrupt, but you definitely want to hear this.

The Large Area Graviton Flux* Capacitors* (LAG, F*C*!!) are running at 150% capacity. Soldiers are falling out of the sky like birds in a hailstorm.
    note: flux* capacitor* and LAG* are all registered trademarks of Fruitless War LLC, in conjuction with Daevonian Enterprises, subsidiary of Settlers of Aion Inc. all rights and restrictions apply

Rend on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OK I dont have time to read the entire thread, PVP wise how does this compare to WAR, is there objectives, do higher level better equiped player completely dominate those are a little weaker or is there some leeway.

I like the sound of an NPC force fucking your shit up.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »
    OK I dont have time to read the entire thread, PVP wise how does this compare to WAR,

Most people have only reached The Abyss recently, so I doubt we have a lot of firsthand impressions regarding that.
    is there objectives,

Yes. Fortresses and Artifacts.
    do higher level better equiped player completely dominate those are a little weaker or is there some leeway.

Anything 3 lvls above you or higher will make it extremely unlikely for you to win.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    OK I dont have time to read the entire thread, PVP wise how does this compare to WAR, is there objectives, do higher level better equiped player completely dominate those are a little weaker or is there some leeway.

I like the sound of an NPC force fucking your shit up.

Combat is much like war, with some key differences.
    For one thing, the two sides are symmetrical- it's not Blorcs vs KotBS, it's Templars vs Templars, etc. The PvP is very skewed by levels, and more than likely gear too but at level 30 I can't authoritatively say that, I can just say with relative certainty.

There are fortresses and 'objectives' which take the form of artifacts, which can grant your side a heavy advantage in battle of some sort, whether it be direct damage to all enemies or a buff to all allies.

I played war extensively, as well as Guild Wars, and loved them both. This is the same sort, very good, the pace is nice, and you rarely feel like you're not a real participant in the battle.

Rend on
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Except that the lore is ambiguous on who even killed the Balaur Lord. Some say it was Azphel, seeing as he was one of the vocal Empyrean Lords that didn't want to risk a peace treaty with the Balaur. But no one actually saw who landed the blow.

As for the Elyos venturing into the Rifts, both sides have their version. Elyos may say they were there to try to unite with the Asmodeans, whereas the Asmodeans themselves say one of their scouting parties were slaughtered by the Elyos before one of their Lords came in to "interrogate" Delthras.

It's never clearly spelled out who killed the Balaur Lord, but the Elyos version says it was Azphel, and the Asmo version says Azphel was already standing up with his eyes glowing when the Balaur Lord fell. It's very strongly impled that it was Azphel.

Similarly, the Elyos version of the first Rifting activity says that they went through as were captured and executed by Zikel, while the Asmo version says only that some people went missing and then they saw the Elyos folks there.

Either the Elyos are TONS better at propaganda (which is certainly possible), or the Asmo are pretty bloodthirsty and bad at hiding it. I'm guessing somewhere in between, and that Elyos are stuck up pricks who instigate the Asmo into taking the first shot.

Link for the lazy: http://aion.ign.com/wiki/Aion_Lore

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    Stretch_22Stretch_22 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh my God, FUCK ME for not checking the forums and rollin on Zikel..

Anyone interested in powering through the first 15 or so levels with me later?

Stretch_22 on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you're good, the first 10 levels take all of 3 hours. 10-16, depending on class, possibly a few more hours. I'd say in 8-10 hours of playing anything other than a ranger will get you to 16 without too much problem.

Ender on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's never clearly spelled out who killed the Balaur Lord, but the Elyos version says it was Azphel, and the Asmo version says Azphel was already standing up with his eyes glowing when the Balaur Lord fell. It's very strongly impled that it was Azphel.

Similarly, the Elyos version of the first Rifting activity says that they went through as were captured and executed by Zikel, while the Asmo version says only that some people went missing and then they saw the Elyos folks there.

Either the Elyos are TONS better at propaganda (which is certainly possible), or the Asmo are pretty bloodthirsty and bad at hiding it. I'm guessing somewhere in between, and that Elyos are stuck up pricks who instigate the Asmo into taking the first shot.

AS far as the Balur lord assasination goes, I'm willing to bet infinite money that it was one of the Balur who killed him, in order to rally their people and bring down the sheild at the same time. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Azphel was warlike, but he wasn't an idiot. As for the first expedition and whatnot, that was completly the Elyos fault, Because they're racist dicks, but you couldn't really blame them. All of a sudden you see these demon looking things all flying around in the abyss, probably just mistook them for some Balur or some other god forsaken evil. And it just escalated from there.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

AS far as the Balur lord assasination goes, I'm willing to bet infinite money that it was one of the Balur who killed him, in order to rally their people and bring down the sheild at the same time. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Azphel was warlike, but he wasn't an idiot. As for the first expedition and whatnot, that was completly the Elyos fault, Because they're racist dicks, but you couldn't really blame them. All of a sudden you see these demon looking things all flying around in the abyss, probably just mistook them for some Balur or some other god forsaken evil. And it just escalated from there.

I agree that Azphel is very unlikely to have killed the Balaur Lord. It says that when the Balaur Lord fell, he was already standing with his eyes ablaze, but come on, he was probably anticipating all of that happening anyway. He probably just thought "Looks like it's that time" and there he was.

From reading the books, it sounds like the Elyos are ideological to a flaw, arrogant, and vicious, while the Asmodians hold grudges forever, refuse to let go of anger from being wronged by their kin, and seek revenge at any cost.

The Asmodians aren't bloodthirsty- they still respected their kin, even after the fall, in spite of what they view as the ultimate mistake. It says about Siel and Israphel, "Though in life they committed great folly, their deaths were not without honor. We honored their deaths with silence."

At this point, I think it's basically two groups of stubborn people who are blinded by hatred.

Rend on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    dasnoob wrote: »
    I'm playing Asmo on the server mentioned in the OP. The forum for the Asmo side looks pretty damn dead. I also noticed our influence is 0 and the elyos is 16...

I'm getting the feeling I might have picked the wrong faction lol.

Other than that hit 8 last night. Still having a blast. I was originally going to go spiritmaster but might go sorc since I love large alphastrikes.

Yeah not sure what server you picked, but the Witchaloks on Ariel are pretty darn active, and the Asmodians have two fortresses, putting their influence at 16 and the Elyos at 0.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

We still speak of the events that followed that day, of the sudden shouts of panic. A sickening certainty gripped us that the warmongers had decided that they would have their way even if they had to sacrifice all of Atreia to achieve it. Azphel moved swiftly and suddenly, and one of the Dragon Lords collapsed. The Balaur did not waste time with words. In an instant, carnage and chaos reigned.
    I turned to my most trusted centurion to speak with him, in that moment, everything changed. The crowd shouted and milled about in startled confusion. One of the Balaur had fallen, and Lord Azphel was standing ready to fight, his eyes blazing.

Doesn't seem that ambiguous to me.

Also funny how the asmos want to save their crappy side of the world, when logically it would seem you'd want to steal the elyos half.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We still speak of the events that followed that day, of the sudden shouts of panic. A sickening certainty gripped us that the warmongers had decided that they would have their way even if they had to sacrifice all of Atreia to achieve it. Azphel moved swiftly and suddenly, and one of the Dragon Lords collapsed. The Balaur did not waste time with words. In an instant, carnage and chaos reigned.
    I turned to my most trusted centurion to speak with him, in that moment, everything changed. The crowd shouted and milled about in startled confusion. One of the Balaur had fallen, and Lord Azphel was standing ready to fight, his eyes blazing.

Also funny how the asmos want to save their crappy side of the world, when logically it would seem you'd want to steal the elyos half.

Don't you think that the passage might just be praising Azphel for his readiness in the face of unexpected danger?

Rend on
  • Options
    Stretch_22Stretch_22 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    If you're good, the first 10 levels take all of 3 hours. 10-16, depending on class, possibly a few more hours. I'd say in 8-10 hours of playing anything other than a ranger will get you to 16 without too much problem.

But it's soo boring.

Stretch_22 on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rend wrote: »

Don't you think that the passage might just be praising Azphel for his readiness in the face of unexpected danger?

Considering his behavior in the previous chapter, no.
    Emo Book wrote:
    For all our protests, she and Israphel, as Guardians of the Tower, held supreme authority over the twelve. The decision was final. We were to treat with the Balaur. I heard Ariel's voice raised in jubilant triumph, and the sound of her four cohorts singing an inane chant of peace.

Azphel left, his face carved of pure fury. I took flight after him, with many of my fellow Daevas in tow.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Considering his behavior in the previous chapter, no.
    Emo Book wrote:
    For all our protests, she and Israphel, as Guardians of the Tower, held supreme authority over the twelve. The decision was final. We were to treat with the Balaur. I heard Ariel's voice raised in jubilant triumph, and the sound of her four cohorts singing an inane chant of peace.

Azphel left, his face carved of pure fury. I took flight after him, with many of my fellow Daevas in tow.
    Emo Book wrote:
    Israphel's tortured face, wracked with guilt, is seared in my memory as he directed Lord Azphel and all his Daeva Legions to the north, while Siel marshaled Ariel and hers to the south. Only one hope remained. Working in two groups, one at each end of the Tower, the Empyrean Lords would do all in their power to prevent the Tower's collapse.

It says Israphel's face was "wracked with guilt," and he commanded Azphel to go guard the north of the tower. I could imagine he would want to use Azphel's great might to aid in the defense of the tower in any circumstance, recognizing him as an asset, but would it not be more likely for Israphel to have responded with rage, rather than guilt, if he had witnessed Azphel committing the deed, or even if he suspected him strongly enough to believe it?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if we'll ever see a definitive answer to the whodunnit of Balaur muder or if it will forever remain a topic of ambiguity.

One thing I like about Aion is that it commits to its lore. The conflict is a lot more solid to me than the conflict in WoW.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From reading one of those, talking about the "grim certainty that the warmongers would have their way" seems to be saying that the Balur would be continuing their war no matter what occured during the peace talks.

So what's his face decided that if they were going to be dicks, he might as well stab one of them.

So, everyone is good :D

joshua1 on
  • Options
    BrothermanfredyBrothermanfredy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just picked this up last night, about to hit 13. Was just wondering if there were any community sites that are helpful... i ran into aion wikia, but was wondering about others

Brothermanfredy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just picked this up last night, about to hit 13. Was just wondering if there were any community sites that are helpful... i ran into aion wikia, but was wondering about others

There's this thing called Google.

www.aionsource.com

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

There's this thing called Google.

www.aionsource.com

Man, if you're gonna be snarky about looking stuff up for people you at least gotta use http://lmgtfy.com/

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wish I had more time to play, I'm really behind. 20-25 sucks.

Psychoish on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'm at 24 and half way to my next level. Grind grind grind grind.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this grinding thing doesnt sound like much fun

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.