As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] Blackout--Game Over! Mafia Victory

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    How does a villager verify a vig and seer?

I thought since the seer was publicly announced, the vig would announce only to the publicly cleared villager?

Hm.

But then unless the publicly cleared villager was guarded, they'd be dead the next night.

Hm.

But we don't know who the guard is.

Hm.

This requires more thought on how it would work.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    -seer targets villager who does not get killed that night
    -seer contacts villager, calls his seer for the next day
    -vig contacts villager, calls his kill for the next day

garroad_ran on
    edited October 2009

Ah. villager gives the names of people who claim to be vig back to the seer...?

What if the mafia pretend to be the seer to try and get the name of the vig?

ecco the dolphin on
    edited October 2009
    ddj answered that
    The vig/seer etc can use that person to get in touch and then if for some reason we do not have a guard(or the guard is terrible) we only risk a villager.

Downside is an extra uncoordinated day.

The villager doesn't have to give anyone's names up, until after we've determined that there is a guard.

garroad_ran on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Ah. villager gives the names of people who claim to be vig back to the seer...?

What if the mafia pretend to be the seer to try and get the name of the vig?

The vig will be proven based on calling a kill, either privately or publicly. There will be no need to seer the vig.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so if we guard the outed villager tonight, then we'd have the potential vig/seers contact them, and on day 3 they could confirm them, which is the same place we'll be if we do the vig call tonight.

Except Arivia died tonight, so we'd be one day behind and have gained nothing else.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guard the outed villager how?

We can't guarantee that everyone will PM, or that everyone who does PM will follow up on the try-to-guard-this-guy-if-you-don't-know-what-you-are, or even if the Guard(s) aren't dead.

e~ I wonder if self-targeting would inform you if you were the Guard? Kinda doubt it, considering the format.

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2009
    Well if the vig reveals, it's pretty clear what the "vanilla" duty is.

If the mafia want to waste half their kills each remaining night gambling that the guard is inactive, that's their prerogative, but that's a fools bet. It's not like it's some gambit in play here on the villages part. Taking a stab at the duh-hes-definitely-guarded-unless-the-guard-is-inactive special is just as horrible game theory as every other game because it's statistically not going to be that far off.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited October 2009
    Ok, so if we guard the outed villager tonight, then we'd have the potential vig/seers contact them, and on day 3 they could confirm them, which is the same place we'll be if we do the vig call tonight.

Except Arivia died tonight, so we'd be one day behind and have gained nothing else.

Well, we gain in that if there is no guard, or the guard is dead, or inactive, we stand to lose a vanillager, and not the vig.

garroad_ran on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A thought occurred. What if there are odd night and even night vigs/seers? That'll really fuck with us.

Savant on
    edited October 2009
    If we don't have a guard / have odd-even mechanics then we're pretty much fucked for trying to win this game anyways.

I choose the optimistic path to victory!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright children.

I am going to bed now.

I will see you tomorrow.

lonelyahava on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reading comprehension for the lose.

I completely missed the part about sending in a target. I sort of skimmed the OP and figured it was just a vanilla phalla.

So, uh, sorry! Turns out I'm just an idiot!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited October 2009
    Alright, cool, so now we know who isn't the vig.

garroad_ran on
    edited October 2009
    Okay. So let me get this straight - the proposed course of action is:

Tonight:

1.) Tonight, we all send in our targets.
    2.) Wait for narration.
    3.) The seered target is now our mouthpiece.

Tomorrow:

1.) Vig and seer call their targets privately to the mouthpiece.
    2.) All other people set their target as the mouthpiece to guard the mouthpiece?
    3.) Insta-network!

Is that it?

ecco the dolphin on
    edited October 2009
    Assuming everything goes perfectly according to plan, yes.

Mind you, that's a whole lot of sitting around until a network starts to be formed, let alone does anything productive.

garroad_ran on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Assuming everything goes perfectly according to plan, yes.

Mind you, that's a whole lot of sitting around until a network starts to be formed, let alone does anything productive.

So we're just going to be a typical village until then, I guess.

rimshot

simonwolf on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Im gonna be away for the rest of the day after this.

so Savant

Dunadan019 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, cool, so now we know who isn't the vig.

your mother? Trebek?

Dunadan019 on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I had a fourteen hour work day yesterday and then slept. What have I missed?

Burnage on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sunkist, Arivqa, Darius and Nocturne died. Arivqa was seered last night, which means that the first potential mouthpiece is deadsies. We're not off to a great start, so far.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    ... it's day two?

What? The title is lying to me

Burnage on
    edited October 2009
    simonwolf on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oooOooooOOooo
    We were dead before the ship even sank
    oooOOOOoooOoo

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i can't even see that i'm dead
    ooooooooOOOooo

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2009

Tonight:

2.) Wait for narration.

Tomorrow:

2.) All other people set their target as the mouthpiece to guard the mouthpiece?
    3.) Insta-network!

Is that it?

No, vig just calls tonight because we want him revealed so we can guard him and get this show on the road, the mouthpiece way will waste an extra day in a mini.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Tonight:

2.) Wait for narration.

Tomorrow:

3.) Insta-network!

Is that it?

No, vig just calls tonight because we want him revealed so we can guard him and get this show on the road, the mouthpiece way will waste an extra day in a mini.

Infidel has [strike]made fun of so much in IRC[/strike]convinced me that wasting the extra day to confirm a guard is probably a bad idea.

Ultimately I guess that is up to the vig though.

dunedainjedi on
    edited October 2009

Tonight:

2.) Wait for narration.

Tomorrow:

3.) Insta-network!

Is that it?

Infidel has [strike]made fun of so much in IRC[/strike]convinced me that wasting the extra day to confirm a guard is probably a bad idea.

The problem I'm seeing is that we don't know how many people targeted Darius, since it's all secret-ballots. It might take another night just for the vig to confirm that they're actually a vig.

Unless you're suggesting everyone who targetted Darius should call their kill tonight, just see who actually ends up hitting the next vig target. Which mightn't be such a bad idea.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »

Tonight:

2.) Wait for narration.

Tomorrow:

3.) Insta-network!

Is that it?

The problem I'm seeing is that we don't know how many people targeted Darius, since it's all secret-ballots. It might take another night just for the vig to confirm that they're actually a vig.

Unless you're suggesting everyone who targetted Darius should call their kill tonight, just see who actually ends up hitting the next vig target. Which mightn't be such a bad idea.

Plus it would lead to a fantastic argument over who the 'real' vig is between vote close and narration.

dunedainjedi on
    edited October 2009

Tonight:

2.) Wait for narration.

Tomorrow:

3.) Insta-network!

Is that it?

Plus it would lead to a fantastic argument over who the 'real' vig is between vote close and narration.

I fully endorse this plan, and all the associated shenanigans.

:^:

simonwolf on
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to have to agree with Infy's plan as well. Having people argue over being the vig could lead to some good data too.

iamtheaznman on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This would all be assuming that we didn't just Day 1 the Guard

I'm not really a fan of this plan

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited October 2009
    Probability-wise, we should be in the clear, guard-wise. But there's always a chance.

If you can come up with a better plan, Ringo, then go ahead and suggest one.

simonwolf on
    edited October 2009
    Probability-wise, we should be in the clear, guard-wise.

Why do you say this?

Burnage on
    edited October 2009
    Burnage wrote: »

Why do you say this?

I think he's saying that the probability of killing the Guard night 1 with a couple (overlapping) shots in the dark is unlikely, considering the number of targets.

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2009

Why do you say this?

I think he's saying that the probability of killing the Guard night 1 with a couple (overlapping) shots in the dark is unlikely.

I know what he's saying, it just seems to me that the probability that the guard died last night isn't negligible. 4/25 as the base probability, although it's higher thanks to the presence of an unknown number of mafioso.

Alternatively, we could have a dead vig, which would make this point moot.

Burnage on
    edited October 2009

Why do you say this?

I think he's saying that the probability of killing the Guard night 1 with a couple (overlapping) shots in the dark is unlikely.

I know what he's saying, it just seems to me that the probability that the guard died last night isn't negligible. 4/25 as the base probability, although it's higher thanks to the presence of an unknown number of mafioso.

Alternatively, we could have a dead vig, which would make this point moot.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that when a special dies we get more than just a picture.

dunedainjedi on
    edited October 2009
    I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that when a special dies we get more than just a picture.

That's optimistic of you.

Something else probably worth thinking about is how the mafia might function in this game. The OP seems to state, very clearly, that there is only a villager PM, so we have the following possibilities;
    1. The OP lies. The mafia started networked, with the standard two kills.
    2. The mafia started the game un-networked, and their target for the night shows up as the mafia kill. This would mean there were only two mafia.
    3. The mafia started un-networked, and the two mafia kills a night are RNGed from the list of players the naive mafia have aimed at. Whilst this means there would be more than two mafioso, the random nature of whether their target showed up as a mafia victim would mean each mafioso would remain uncertain as to whether or not they actually were a mafia.
    4. Similarly, the mafia might have two even-day killers, and two odd day killers. Alternatively, depending on the size of the mafia, the cycle could be three days instead of odd/even.

Burnage on
    edited October 2009
    Yes.

The Individual Members of the Mafia know who they are.

and that's all that you're getting.

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2009
    ahava wrote:
    Yes.

The Individual Members of the Mafia know who they are.

and that's all that you're getting.

Ahava's clairification a few pages back seemed to indicate that the mafia knew who they were.

So either we should only vote for people who are Ahava IMs, or we can assume that the mafia got a hey you're evil PM.

Preview edit: I see fading beat me to the clairification.

dunedainjedi on
This discussion has been closed.