As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

jpeg doing boring things, not actually updated daily. nsfw/56k

2»

• jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    thanks mustang. I happen to think that that is my best one yet. I don't really plan to go back to work on it right now, though.

here's the past few days. been slacking. still doing them every day, just a little burned out.

today is my birthday.

9/08
    sp908sm.jpg

9/09- this one was really hard, I couldn't see anything by looking over my glasses like this, so going straight to ballpoint pen was a bad plan. okay line quality, though.
    sp909sm.jpg

9/10- burthdae. tam inspired, woo woo
    sp910sm.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited September 2009
    So, I decided to stop fucking around and being lazy with art. Here's what I've done today/yesterday and hope to match in terms of volume for a while.

Study of a marker! I need to find something more colorful to paint next time.
    markerstudysml.jpg
    Hands, in pen. Was trying to force line conservation/quality. Ended up being messy and sucking it up anyway, gotta keep trying.
    sb128handssm.jpg
    doodling/self portrait for 9/11
    sb129muthafuckasm.jpg
    figures
    sb131figcomposite.jpg

Still have tonight's self portrait to do, and more hand practice.

Longer figures are from photos, 30-60 second ones are from posemaniacs.

jpeg on
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I find you to be improving.

Charis on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    These are really quite good, and diverse to boot. You seem to be confident with a good range of mediums; I can only just handle a pencil. :P

Flay on
    edited September 2009
    thanks charis and flay

tonight's

sp912sm.jpg

ehhhhh likeness is bad, lopsided features and ehhhh

jpeg on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice work dude! Don't you dare give up on these either, the more you draw, the better you'll get.

As obvious as that sounds it actually comes to just that. The amount of which you work is about the only thing that determines how fast you learn!

So keep it up dude!

Sublimus on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Sublimus. That's pretty much the logic behind me working hard for once!

Here's some things.

figures from today + yesterday. I need to work on my pencil rendering. my hatching is really angular.
    fig913comp.jpg

studied some hogarth hands from a book I've got.
    sb133handshogarthsm.jpg

...then tried to apply what I learned on a few reference drawings:
    sb132handssm.jpg

yesterday's self portrait. I went to a cubs game.
    sp913sm.jpg

today's self portrait. was trying to really pay attention to color, not so much the likeness.
    sp914sm.jpg

I have a few pages of stuff from imagination that I've been doing to try to apply learning at the end of each day, I'll scan a few pages when I have some time.

jpeg on
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    These are great, I check this thread every now and again for progress. The fact you are constantly changing styles and materials is admirable.

Stick at it :D

JAmp5 on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A problem I see with your digis is that they have no texture so it makes the skin tones look very plasticy and fake. You might want to try setting the flow to pen pressure as well as opacity, to add a little texture.

DeeLock on
    edited September 2009
    thanks jamp :D

@deelock: that is typically how I roll in terms of brush settings, but you raise an excellent point. texture is something I should practice.

I slacked a bit today. bad me, bad me. I am working on the inks for that dungeons and dragons illo from the first page, it's taking a long time.

today's sp. the head was terrible and hilariously small so I cropped it out. I was practicing rendering with mild speed anyway.
    26_by_intelligencequotient.jpg

A hand that took me FAR too long. was trying to really understand the shape and form of what I was drawing.
    sb135handsm.jpg

A bunch of really terrible quick figure drawings. I was just not grasping it this morning, I was drawing sooo sloooow.
    fig9151sm.jpg

A handful of eyes that are not so hot. I have trouble representing it as something 3d, I feel like my eyes are always really flat. I also tend to draw the irises too small so I am trying to rectify that.
    eyes915sm.jpg

Tomorrow, color!

jpeg on
    edited September 2009
    Things:

Color study of 'The Sea of Ice' by Caspar Friedrich
    seaoficesm.jpg

yesterday's sp, 4x5" acrylic/canvas. the likeness is bad but the color is okay.
    sp916sm.jpg

quick figures from this morning
    fig9171sm.jpg

today's self portrait. messing around with the healing brush in photoshop.
    sp917sm.jpg

inking that dungeons and dragons illo from page 1. it is taking a very long time. WIP
    rowboathouseinks3.jpg

jpeg on
    edited September 2009
    been slacking on the studies on purpose, I needed a day or two off. been a dramatic week.

in the meantime, I've been oc'ing with a few friends of mine.
    41363335.jpg

ocwjustin.jpg

animu!!!!!!! kawaii desu
    sp918sm.jpg

also a little more work on this thing. I need to totally rework the bullet bill, the perspective on it is the exact opposite of the ship on the other side, I don't know why I did that.
    rowboathouseinks4jpg.jpg

jpeg on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it would be really cool to have a whole book full of all your self portraits.

Well, it actually might be weird but still! You have so many of them i just want to look at them all next to each other

crazy cool stuff

worstcase on
    edited September 2009
    Fuck yeah, dude!

You'reee dooooing ittt!

Crit: you seem to draw your nose weird sometimes in your self portraits.

Don't give up, buddy. Dang this thread is inspiring!

Sublimus on
    edited September 2009
    thanks worstcase & sublimus

@worstcase: I did do this a few days ago just to see what it looked like http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5362/sp31.gif

@sublimus: haha thanks for the encouragement. and yeah, I have a lot of trouble accurately drawing my nose. it is really bad in all of the ones in this update actually, haha.

some things

a couple non-effort self portraits in here.

fig9201sm.jpg
    sp919sm.jpg
    sp920sm.jpg
    sp921sm.jpg
    sp922sm.jpg
    sb136shirtsm.jpg
    sb137yaseesm.jpg

jpeg on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it seems like, with the last batch, you're wanting the pencil lines to do way more work than they should be doing. Regular shading would look much better on the clothes and such (in my opinion anyway)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited September 2009
    yeah my pencil rendering is admittedly pretty shit. I tend to overuse hatching to the point where it is extremely distracting. (I only noticed this during the shirt drawing, somehow)

jpeg on
    edited September 2009
    Well, there are times you are more successful than others (the face on the left for one) but you have to remember that every line you draw on the skin adds age to the character. Just think about the lines more before you put them down and you should find a better balance (or shade, i guess)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some of the digital portraits seem to be overworked and lack the liveliness of your pencil sketches. Maybe try some loose pencil studies, scan them in and color them from there?

Either way, pretty cool stuff, and not boring to boot!

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2009
    that is a good idea earthwormadam, I have not done that yet.

was busy today, but still did my self portrait. I tried to render softly, and not overuse hatching like I always do. I also tried to get a wider range of values than usual.

sp923editsm.jpg

jpeg on
    edited September 2009
    Been a rough week! I am still drawing, not as much as last week, which is a problem! But so is the fact that I don't have a job, which I am trying to rectify (it takes away from drawing time pretty good).

also, I got contacts!

Here's tonights self portrait, I still make time for these:
    sketch
    sp929sketchsm.jpg

incredibly poorly painted watercolor with slight digital touchups.
    sp929sm.jpg

here's some progress on this thing. I need to practice painting metal before I go much further, it will be a problem soon.
    rowboathousecolors4.jpg

jpeg on
    edited September 2009
    Actually that watercolor is pretty nice. Looks like your digital touchups were mostly a product of not remembering to leave your whites before you laid down some paint. Don't be afraid to go in with white acrylics or gauche for those highlights. Watercolor purists might complain, but it's not an uncommon practice.

If I saw it without the digital touchups I could probably give you better advice.

Charis on
    edited September 2009
    here is the unedited version, just levels adjustment done. really most of what I did was smoothing out my shitty brushwork.

sp929smunedited.jpg

jpeg on
    edited September 2009
    Okay, sweet.

I can tell that you're doing a lot of wet into wet stuff with that dark wine color on the neck and such. That's what creates that 'fingering' effect(not the kind you're thinking of, you perv). Fingering is actually quite a nice effect, and often gives the painting a nice tone to it. However, if you're looking for more control, wet into wet isn't what you want. You might want to try layering very light washes instead, mixing small amounts of pigment and then waiting until that whole layer is dry before going over it with another transparent layer. I would also suggest starting with very light washes of color. You can always go darker with watercolors, but going lighter is a bitch.

That being said, I like your un-digitalized version way better. And your palette is fly.

Charis on
    edited September 2009
    For a montage thing, that piece feels really empty. I would either scale some shit up and move it around, or draw a lot more stuff.

Have you seen any of marko's work? He really know how to fill the space.

Sublimus on
    edited September 2009
    I've got to agree with Charis on this one- even if your brush strokes aren't what you wanted, they give the piece more life and character than its digitized counterpart.

Nappuccino on

• LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    jpeg, You're a beautiful man.
    No homo.

Lalilulelo on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks dudes.
    @Charis, upon second look, I agree with you on preferring my un-edited version better.
    @sub, yeah, I mostly agree. there is a giant ass explosion behind the dude with the hood though that I am hoping fills the space some.
    @nap, thanks brah, I've grown to agree with you on that one
    @lalilulelo, I GOT DEM LUSCIOUS LIPZ

Here's a couple self portraits and progress on that book cover. Been off the art train lately, trying to get a job, and apparently not trying hard enough.

sp930sm.jpg
    sp102sm.jpg
    sp103sm.jpg
    sp104sm.jpg
    sp105sm.jpg
    rowboathousecolors5.jpg

jpeg on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you should make the four dudes a lot bigger
    I mean aren't they kinda the whole point of it? Also then there wouldn't be so much empty at the bottom

RubberAC on