As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Cheetahmen. Finished.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Farmed out the programming to college students! BRILLIANT!

Hey, it worked for Starcraft: Ghost!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, basically, he raised 5million from hopeful overseas investors trying to cash in on the videogames boom and then pocketed almost all of it while outsourcing the work to the cheapest sources imaginable?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you ready to be Livin' Large?

You've got to listen to the greatest music ever to grace a videogame's soundtrack:

Had enough? OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T, because you STILL NEED TO ROCK!

Not doin' it for ya? Well let's crank that SHIT UP TO 11!

Ok, okay, that's good, now let's go another direction entirely and see what Hip Hop Cheetahmen sounds like:

Wouldn't be complete without a Dance/Trance/Synth remix, would it?

Gotta love the Cheetahmen theme.

As a side note, the guy doing the hiphop song, his name is Flo Rida. He was partially responsible for the Main Theme to Street Fighter IV - "Indestructible." Although you never hear his part in game.

slash000 on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My brother got sort of obsessed looking up CheetahMen remixes on YouTube one day, because there are just so many of them, and some of them aren't that bad.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    It's just hilarious to me how many remixes there are for this one tune; for this one, obscure, crappy, terrible, rare, unlicensed game in a haystack of 52 of them developed by a bunch of outsourced college kids and released to help support what was to become a failed attempt at building a mainstream kids' franchise.

slash000 on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That thrash metal cover is badass.

SkutSkut on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys guys, stop looking for Cheetahman remixes. If you do I'm going to run out of ones to put in the next set of videos!

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    Yo yo, Monday you're great and all, but I just gotta give a shout-out to Tuesday because you're really the day to start recording new videos. Peace!

Don't worry, the thread is not abandoned after just one video and no posts in two days. I might not be able to record today, but just because I loves youse guys I'll practice the next stage today. I'll try to do all the editing tomorrow as well so that I can get the next two stages up on wednesday or maybe even tomorrow if everything goes off without a hitch. The impending release of Demon's Souls has absolutely nothing to do with me trying to get the video out.

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    cheetah9.jpg

I am so sorry guys, the first part took me so many tries that on the take that did work I forgot to leave in a buffer. The video starts right away and it doesn't look very nice. I tried to fix it but I just couldn't merge an intro to it without fucking up the whole thing and I thought my commentary this take was my best and I wanted to keep it. Again I'm sorry, I promise I'll keep in a buffer next time. I just didn't want to delay this video any further.

Gilder on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why are you beating up hookers?

Couscous on
    edited October 2009
    Because Hercules hates women. They piss him off something fierce.

Gilder on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The cheetahmen sprites are surreal. The game doesn't look like an NES game at all, more like a shitty dos game from around that period with the large sprites but stilted/no animation.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    The cheetahmen sprites are surreal. The game doesn't look like an NES game at all, more like a shitty dos game from around that period with the large sprites but stilted/no animation.

It reminds me of some Colecovision game like Donkey Kong.

Couscous on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You mention invincibility frames, but I don't see any frames in this game. Maybe two for the characters and two for the bosses. Really, is it that choppy, or are you encoding it poorly?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited October 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    You mention invincibility frames, but I don't see any frames in this game. Maybe two for the characters and two for the bosses. Really, is it that choppy, or are you encoding it poorly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2QpaHjO-Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTyqFcl5-tQ&feature=related
    Cheetahman is at the two minute mark.

Couscous on
    edited October 2009
    There's that many. Each cheetah basically has 3 frames total. Like, 2 for walking and one for attacking. Bosses are about the same. That's it. They decide to make none of those frames invincibility once you get hit though.

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    Couscous on
    edited October 2009
    Oh, fun fact I forgot to mention in the video: You can't mid-air jump in stage 4. It doesn't work. I'm assuming it has to do with the vertical scrolling.

Gilder on
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2QpaHjO-Q

D:

6:24: QUALITY programming

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love how you can't even tell when the boss fights are over, or when you're hitting the bosses. It didn't even look like you were hitting that rhino guy, and then the stage eventually just cuts away.

Saddler on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    edited October 2009
    Davoid wrote: »

Wow, Bit.Trip.Beat was a spinoff of Cheetahmen all along!

Saddler on
  • GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grombar on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be honest, I listened to maybe 1 other remix, and certainly not all the way through.

But that last one is better than anything previously, or that will be, posted.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be honest, I listened to maybe 1 other remix, and certainly not all the way through.

The MIDI art one is pretty cool. He spells out Cheetahmen!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The MIDI art one is pretty cool. He spells out Cheetahmen!

You speak verily, sir. The MIDI has a lot of neat flourishes that you can pick up on much more easily due to its simplicity. A very fine remix indeed.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of remixes, do you guys want me to continue using them in the videos? I know the song is great and all, but I figured you got enough of it in the first video. The previous video was my first attempt at doing that and I wanted songs to fit the whole video, but I needed that small stretch of silence to do that. Was that too jarring? Next video I plan to just cut the song short if it's too long for the video and not have any silence. I thought it worked pretty well though this time because I went with the relaxing remixes and the silence was timed perfectly for when I was talking and then it started up when I finished.

Gilder on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's the best part of the video, cause the game sure is shit.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, the music on these games is actually pretty good. Sombreros in particular.
    Dangerous wrote: »
    You should also do a Let's Play of that one game where you were a hairy little guy and all the enemies were like scissors and stuff. It was a platformer of some sort. Though it's possible I just dreamed that up.
    Looks like that was in there too, Fuzz Power. Creepy.

Since someone brought up games that gave you prizes for beating them, I remember another NES game like that. I know it had lots of different worlds, might have involved bombs, and you were a cool kid (sunglasses?). And you were trying to beat all the levels to get codes that unlocked a vault at the end. Whoever got it unlocked first, and sent in a screenshot or some code it gave you, won a big prize. Like $100,00 I think...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2009
    Treasure Master. You walk by strutting.

Gilder on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I knew it had some sort of simple name. I was only one zero off the prize, too! Some magazine I read did a huge story on it when it was first coming out, and the whole idea blew my mind at the time.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2009
    Goddamnit, I've started humming the tune to myself at random times during the day.

It's not that it's stuck in my head. I genuinely enjoy it. D:

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited October 2009
    I still don't quite get why everyone latched onto this game's theme for remixing and why it's so insanely popular to remix. I mean, I get that it's a really catchy tune, but why is it so popular to remix? There are lots of famous/legendary games with catchy tunes that aren't obsessively remixed like this.

slash000 on
    edited October 2009
    Japan is weird. 90% of the remixes for the song come from Japan. Once they latch onto something they don't want to let go until they make it as awesome/nerdy as possible.

Also the song is pretty rocking.

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Japan is weird. 90% of the remixes for the song come from Japan. Once they latch onto something they don't want to let go until they make it as awesome/nerdy as possible.

Also the song is pretty rocking.

Yeah I started to notice most remixes being Japanese.

Did Action52 even come out over there? Did Active Enterprises try to push the Cheetahmen franchise over there?

slash000 on
    edited October 2009
    I just want to let you all know that stage 5 of Cheetahmen is quite possibly the hardest stage in any platformer I have ever played. I'm trying to practice it before I record and I have died more times in this stage in the last half hour than I have in Demon's Souls.

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    254476a.jpg

Fuck my microphone, I didn't notice how much it picked up the slightest breath in this video. Sorry, but it's not like the game deserves better. Anyway the first game is done. Enjoy the final boss, it's pretty tough.

Gilder on
    edited October 2009
    Haha, level 10 is great.

Couscous on
    edited October 2009
    Life feels even less meaningful after viewing those last two levels.

Saddler on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like how his crossbow fires backwards, and the final boss is harmless

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2