As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Afrika

• Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It is also how Africa is properly spelled in quite a few languages.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, you learn something new.... I thought it was just trying to be "cool" and "edgy" and "extreme" as a lot of things try to be these days.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just assumed it was a licensing issue.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What, like the country of Africa would go after them? I... don't think that's possible. You don't license the name of a country. If I wanted to make America: The Game, I totally could.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    What, like the country of Africa would go after them? I... don't think that's possible. You don't license the name of a country. If I wanted to make America: The Game, I totally could.
    Your geography teacher should be shot.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Opium wrote: »

What geography teacher? I grew up under the United States public school system.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I laughed reasonably hard.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interesting.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interesting.
    Well, you know... vegans.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Interesting.

Oh. That's what you were referring to. Give me a fucking break. I'm aware that that Africa is a continent and not a country, durrrr. I really didn't noticed that's what I had typed until you pointed that out.
    Bearcat wrote: »

I'm trying to make some logical sense out of that, but your witty genius must be lost upon me.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interesting.

Oh. That's what you were referring to. Give me a fucking break. I'm aware that that Africa is a continent and not a country, durrrr. I really didn't noticed that's what I had typed until you pointed that out.

I'm trying to make some logical sense out of that, but your witty genius must be lost upon me.

Well, here. It's like.

"Oh you know, those vegans. Ha ha -- those guys. So crazy. What'll they think of next."

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Interesting.

Well, here. It's like.

"Oh you know, those vegans. Ha ha -- those guys. So crazy. What'll they think of next."

Well, here. It's like.

"The best I can do is lash out at something entirely unrelated and non-sequitor to the topic at hand. That's easier, anyway."

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe if you ate meat you wouldn't lack the B12 required to think properly

Robman on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You made a really stupid (and I thought transparent) joke.

People are giving you some well deserved shit for it.

Calm down.

Evander on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the korean version from ncsx for 30 bucks? Is sept 22 really the NA release?

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey. HEY!

I was at one point able to draw a rather detailed map of the entire world including the labeling of not only countries and their capitals but their major geographic features thanks to public schooling.

Of course since there's virtually no fucking reason to be able to do that the knowledge was put to very little use and has for the most part been forgotten. :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey. HEY!

I was at one point able to draw a rather detailed map of the entire world including the labeling of not only countries and their capitals but their major geographic features thanks to public schooling.

Of course since there's virtually no fucking reason to be able to do that the knowledge was put to very little use and has for the most part been forgotten. :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhypQq5ywmM

Opium on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My knowledge of geography comes from "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?"

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Man, I don't know. Maybe there's an Africa clothing company, an old television show called Africa, or an old video game. :?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Maybe if you ate meat you wouldn't lack the B12 required to think properly

Hardy har. Got anything to say about the actual topic?

Didn't think so.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Stay on topic, boys, there's a vegan sharpening her claws...

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    anybody know if the NA version is also only going to cost 30 buckaroos?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Six wrote: »
    Stay on topic, boys, there's a vegan sharpening her claws...

Now I get called a woman? Jeez, I can't win here.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought your name was supposed to be ironic or something.

Weird that a vegan would just straight-up out themselves without anyone even offering them a delicious steak.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey. HEY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhypQq5ywmM

They misspelled Israel in that video.

I'm surprised I never noticed that before.

Evander on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    anybody know if the NA version is also only going to cost 30 buckaroos?

Doubt it.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Weird that a vegan would just straight-up out themselves without anyone even offering them a delicious steak.

I'm not the one that brought it up. Bearcat did. Because he couldn't think of anything better or relevant.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it really doesn't affect the game proper at all. Some games have stupid titles.

It's not like Timon and Pumbaa become your African tour guides as you scout the Pride Lands for pics of lions and hyenas, blasting "Be Prepared" through your Jeep's speakers.

Aww man, I would love this game.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So... word is the North American localization of Afrika has gone gold, they aren't calling it Hakuna Matata, it'll cost $49.99, and it's due out on October 6th.

Nice :^:

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    IGN's review was.... not kind. They gave it a 3.5.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Picked up the Chinese/English Asian bargain release for £24 including shipping off YesAsia. I like. I'm not even looking at that review.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Did they cite no boobies or explosions as the reason why? O.o

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Did they cite no boobies or explosions as the reason why? O.o

No. Awful graphics and robotic animals for a game about roaming open Savannah looking at animals. And taking over 1 minute to save a game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Graphics aren't even close to awful, some of the animation work is great and taking one minute to save is close to irrelevant in a placid sandbox title like this. Christ, it certainly has problems and it's way below what was originally promised but yeah, I'm not really impressed.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So... A decent rental at least?

urahonky on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1up gave it a B- for those that care.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking at some of the videos and reviews and such out there, and ouch. I've always felt that this simply wasn't going to sell by concept alone, and methinks about halfway through development the devs got that feeling as well, went "fuck it" and just threw some shit together to get this done and out of the way.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Graphics aren't even close to awful, some of the animation work is great and taking one minute to save is close to irrelevant in a placid sandbox title like this. Christ, it certainly has problems and it's way below what was originally promised but yeah, I'm not really impressed.

There is some rough texture work, but the animation is great, yeah. The load times don't bug me either, but the invisible walls in some area are really annoying. Overall, I enjoy the game, but I'm rather happy I bought the cheap Asian region version for cheap. I would have felt kinda cheated if I paid full price for it.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aoi wrote: »

There is some rough texture work, but the animation is great, yeah. The load times don't bug me either, but the invisible walls in some area are really annoying. Overall, I enjoy the game, but I'm rather happy I bought the cheap Asian region version for cheap. I would have felt kinda cheated if I paid full price for it.

I wasn't saying that's what I, or anyone else thought, just that's what IGN gave it, and their reasons for marking it down.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, sorry, I did phrase that pretty hurriedly. Not getting at you, Loki. Thanks for printing the reasons.

Eight Rooks on