As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What were the first games you ever played?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The first game I ever played was Pac-Man at the bar my father always went to. The first ones I owned were Zelda 2, Mario 2, and Dragon Warrior... got them all the same Christmas I got my NES.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alley Cat!

The music from this game is indelibly etched into my subconscious, and the room in which you steal food from the sleeping dogs haunts my nightmares to this very day.

Also, judging from YouTube, I'm apparently the only one in the world who knew about the special move key that let you do things like travel through the holes in the giant cheese or give presents to the ugly lady cats to make them leave you alone for a while.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh god, memories. Midnight Rescue in particular, I loved that.

I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember, I can't even recall what the first game I played was. Maybe King's Quest, the original.

But then there's these:

ADDTarmin.png

1065484968-00.gif

1087351766-00.gif

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My first strong video game memory is playing Secret of Monkey Island. I know I had played some stuff on my computer before that. I have vague memories of loading some kind of tempest clone off a 5 1/2 floppy.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Super Mario Bros. Not a bad start, I don't think.

I can still remember how fascinating it was when I first saw it. It took me a few minutes to figure out what I was witnessing, but it blew my 4-year-old mind when I did. "Oh my god, my uncle is playing TV!" Life-changing experience, that was.
    [Michael] wrote: »
    Man, I haven't seen this in forever. I used to play it on the classroom PC in the morning before class began.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Halo-Combat-Evolved-Cheats-and-Easter-Eggs-2.jpg

You old people are so old.
    Okay, seriously:
    Super-Mario-Bros--3.jpg

and
    DuckHunt.jpg

are as far back as I can remember. I think I would've had to have played Galaga or Pac-Man or something at an arcade at some point before I got my NES, though.

Monger on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [URL=""]Alley Cat![/URL]

The music from this game is indelibly etched into my subconscious, and the room in which you steal food from the sleeping dogs haunts my nightmares to this very day.

Also, judging from YouTube, I'm apparently the only one in the world who knew about the special move key that let you do things like travel through the holes in the giant cheese or give presents to the ugly lady cats to make them leave you alone for a while.

Oh man, Alley Cat. Awesome!

You know, for some reason I was thinking only of console titles as we talked in here. I owned PC games before the NES... King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory.. awesome times. I remember my mom telling the school I was "sick" the day King's Quest 2 came out so we could play it together.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was spoiled.
    256px-NES_Super_Mario_Bros.png

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    c_MazeCraze_Picture_front.jpg

First game I ever remember playing, and Pitfall. After that it was TMNT and Ducktales on the NES.

Those were the days...

I'm 24 for reference.

EDIT: Obviously Maze Craze was out for a while when I started playing it, but it was still my first game... :)

Project Mayhem on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Long ago... long before there were spreadsheets in space... there were arrays of arrays in space; and I flew them.

earth_orbit_station_01.gif

We've come a long way.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My parents came hoe one day with a Tandy 1000 somewhere in the mid 1980's. My brother and I each got to choose 1 game. He got King's Quest 2, and I got marble madness.

Since we were around 4-6 years old we didn't understand some things. The only time we saved in King's Quest 2 was after we had died. Every time we got farther in the game we would save on the disk right after we died which resulted somehow in corrupting the floppy so we never did finish it. Dracula's castle scared the fuck out of us.

For Marble Madness I discovered my first glitch. By holding down escape the game would pause/unpause quickly giving me a sort of slow-motion, resulting in me beating an otherwise impossible game for such a young guy.

Funguy McAids on
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Space Invaders at the Midway Amusement Park's arcade in good ol' Chautauqua County, New York. I was small enough (I was 5) that my Dad had to hold me up and push the fire button, while I moved back and forth using both hands.

I was hooked from the start. A hobby was born. It was awesome being a kid in the heyday of arcades, when every pizza place had two or three uprights, the Atari 2600 was king, but the kids who had a Coleco or Intellivision were like the cool Indie dudes. The only drawback? There were never enough quarters.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OMG! Alley Cat! I totally forgot about my mom playing that and wanting to play it.

I dunno what system it was but it had 3 switches in the back with two positions each (2 X 2 X 2) giving 8 games. I know all left was a shootemup and all right was donkey kong. I remember boxing was the most fun my brother and I had.

RoyceSraphim on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pong, and Slot car racer for Colecovision are my first two video game memories. I still have my Pong machine.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Asteroids on Atari 2600.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mostly I played PC games, Monkey Island, Loom, and Darklands immediately spring to mind. Those were my favorites.

We had an Atari, but I was a little young for that. We did have a Galaga machine in the basement, though. Holy shit, I played the crap out of Galaga when I was a kid. I became Galaga Jesus.

PolloDiablo on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I started on an NES when I was old enough to remember, and I think I started out with the original Super Mario Bros, followed by Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Those 2 games stick out the most in my mind.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know the magic school bus was a series of books before it was a TV series, right?

Oh yes. I spent hours copying dinosaurs out of the one, uh, with dinosaurs. When I learned it was a TV show my brain basically exploded.

Ah, the golden age of kid's TV.

edit: My mom is really into mysteries and for a while she played this:

[IMG][/img]T7G-Box-Cover.jpg

Now, back when I was little, the computer (this was in the day when households had only one computer) was in the living room where my toys were. Needless to say, The 7th Guest terrified me, so when she played it I always left the room. But since I thought it was so cool my mom played video games I never told her why.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't recall, actually. I wanna say Mario? My brother and sister got the NES the day I was born because they were antsy and bored waiting for stuff to happen while my mother was in labor, so my uncle either gave them his NES or got them one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tetris on the Game Boy!

Godfather on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seriously why is everyone so oooooooold?

First game for me was Mario Kart.... 64. Yeah. Got that shit when I was like, nine. And that was only rented. The first game I actually owned was Diddy Kong Racing.

So there!

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My father bought a Nintendo sometime after I was born. My earliest memories are of playing Mario Bros. and this game where you were a bee and you shoot up enemy insects so you could collect honey from flowers.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First game I ever remember actually playing was the original Legend of Zelda. A Zelda fanboy was born.

Graviija on
  • BeriBeri Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Holy god... whoever posted Ancient Empires - you awoke some memory of me wasting hours on that.

I think most of my earliest games are faded memories, but that's because I was playing them on this thing:

appleIIe.jpg

Then one Christmas my parents busted out a 'Hi-tex', which I later found out was a pirate famicom clone. It had a cart with some weird number of games, like 87 in 1 or something. Stuff like "Super Plumber Brothers" (guess what that was) and "Ninja Garden". But it DID have cool stuff like Excite Bike and Mappy the Mouse as well.

But the ones that stand out from my early PC days (when my dad paid something like $4000 AU for a 486 with 4mb ram and a 260mb HDD) are games like these:

WackyWheels(5).jpg
    Mother-effing Wacky Wheels

sam1.PNG
    Secret Agent

blake_stone.png
    Blake Stone

Beri on
    WHAT THE EFFFFFFF
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mine was probably Dig Dug on the Atari 2600 or some game on the Intellivision II, but I wouldn't know since my dad had a bunch of games for it, so Who knows. All I know is that it was something from either of those systems.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    My father bought a Nintendo sometime after I was born. My earliest memories are of playing Mario Bros. and this game where you were a bee and you shoot up enemy insects so you could collect honey from flowers.

Wasn't that a Donkey Kong game? I know what game you mean, I think, but I think I had it on a bootleg where it was a DK game. The final boss was a gorilla you shot in the ass until he wore a beehive as a helmet.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited October 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    Seriously why is everyone so oooooooold?

First game for me was Mario Kart.... 64. Yeah. Got that shit when I was like, nine. And that was only rented. The first game I actually owned was Diddy Kong Racing.

So there!
    Oh, man.

Daycare is :arrow:
    23 isn't really old enough to act crotchety, but it sure is fun.

Monger on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bare Knuckles aka Streets of Rage on the Genesis. Or was it Golden Axe...

Chrono Helix on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wasn't that a Donkey Kong game? I know what game you mean, I think, but I think I had it on a bootleg where it was a DK game. The final boss was a gorilla you shot in the ass until he wore a beehive as a helmet.

I never really got that far in the game, but the only enemies I remember were insects. Also, I don't remember owning a Donkey Kong game, so...

Oh, we had like, a monster truck racing game too. I could never get used to the controls so I'd end up turning the wrong way all the time, then I'd get frustrated and throw that shitty NES controler at the console.

Man, it's really hard remembering all this crap.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    My very earliest gaming memories would have to be on this fucking beast.
    450px-Apple_iie.jpg

I guess my brother's school had some with games or something, because he pirated the fuck out of games for that thing. Q-bert, Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall, you name it, we had a 5.25" floppy with the name scralled on it. This was, of course, before Kindergarten, so I didn't know how to read yet. Try getting a 4-year-old to correctly type out "b load: montezuma's revenge." I fucking loved that game, but almost never played it, because I couldn't fucking spell it 4 times out of 5.
    Imagine this:
    s_MontezumasRevenge_2.png
    in glorious, monochromatic green, and you have a taste of my earliest gaming memories.

I also remember going to a pizza place with the family, and I'd play the fuck out of DigDug.
    digdug.jpg
    Ahh... memories.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    haunted_house.png

[IMG]http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/starwarsatari.jpg[/IMG cut my teeth playing these games, then got myself an amiga and shit really hit the fan[/img]Amiga_Shadow_of_the_Beast.png

shadow of the beast scared the crap outta me, i didn't make it past the first level, but then i got into these:

lemmings.png
    soccerkid_x.png

but the game I have the fondest memories of are Chuck Rock 2

4871_0.png

great art direction, humour and dino's!

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Main_Screen.JPG

Leisure_Suit_Larry_1.jpg

Space_Quest_-_The_Sarien_Encounter_Coverart.png

SimCity_2000_Coverart.png

These were the first PC games I played - on an ancient Windows 3.14 machine. That computer is still intact, and in my possession, so I fire it up from time to time when I want to be nostalgic. And really, SimCity 2000 is the best SimCity by far so I actually use this old computer quite frequently.

Before these games though, I got a NES. Also use that sometimes but it's in much poorer condition unfortunately.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    And really, SimCity 2000 is the best SimCity by far so I actually use this old computer quite frequently.
    I could never get anything accomplished in 2000. Water pipes can go eat a dick. SNES SimCity was my preferred version by a lot.

Monger on
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I never really got that far in the game, but the only enemies I remember were insects. Also, I don't remember owning a Donkey Kong game, so...

Fantasy Zone?

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to play Vette! a lot. That was great.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • toaster_oventoaster_oven Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom on the Adam! That thing loaded from a casette tape! You had to wait roughly 10 minutes for it to load, then you died in about 7 seconds, then you had to wait 10 minutes for the tape to rewind so you could play again! But it was awesome nonetheless!

And going back to the Pitfall conversation... it can be beaten. Apparently back in the day anybody who could actually do it was encouraged to send in a screenshot (photo of the TV) to Activision and they'd actually send you shit back. My dad sent in his picture and now has a sew on patch for a shirt that says something like "Pitfall Adventurer's Club!"

It's been a long time since a game was so hard the developers would actually give people stuff if they could beat a game.

toaster_oven on
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [Michael] wrote: »
    There was some other game, but I don't remember much about it. It was kind of like the Exile games I played a few years later, in that it was tile based and an RPG and you equipped your character in a similar way, but the thing that stands out the most is that I'd always end up running into a manticore early in the game and I'd get killed. :(

That would be Castle of the Winds, which I also grew up on.

I'm with the Atari 2600 crowd, though. All the space games were awesome.

Especially Star Ship

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    UnbreakableVow on
  • DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure there were others, but this is the first that I can remember. My dad would hold me up to the controls so I could play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayw6LbAWIk4

Darksier on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pokemon Red.
    Pokemon Blue.
    Pokemon Green.
    Pokemon Yellow.

Yeah...

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy