As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gametap thread. renamed to not be spelled wrong.

DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
X-com, thats it...X-com Ufo defense is now a title for gametap, and i was thinking about canceling just recently.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven on

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How exactly do thy keep track of trials, anyways? Since the last time I tried it, I've reformatted and upgraded to Vista...is that enough to "fool" the system into thinking I'm a newcomer?

EDIT: Wait, it looks like the free for x days thing is over. I think.

Darlan on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trials are tracked, apparently, by email address and credit card number. NOT home address or name.

Possibly not even credit card number, either. You need a new address to sign up for another trial, though.

Gmail with 90+ invites helps with this sorta thing.

I'm not suggesting you circumvent their policies, but that's a possibility.

Also, I subscribe. It's a great service, and 10 bucks a month ain't bad.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It also has Interstate 76, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Nocturne... the list goes on, basically every classic PC game I can think of. I picked it up when they were running that deal for $60 for a year. Best $60 I ever spent.

Also the TV thing in there has Sealab 2021.

zilo on
  • AsciipandaAsciipanda Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    zilo wrote: »
    It also has Interstate 76, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Nocturne... the list goes on, basically every classic PC game I can think of. I picked it up when they were running that deal for $60 for a year. Best $60 I ever spent.

Also the TV thing in there has Sealab 2021.

Cant forget the Sam & Max TV show.

Asciipanda on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe my work here is done....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Myst: URU Live!

I been playing a lot of games on Gametap that I normally wouldn't. Games like Deus Ex: IW, which I must admit when I went into that game this time I was in the mindset that it wasn't Deus Ex 2 and I had a really fun time.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gametap is pretty bad ass.

Is it Vista compatible yet?

HadjiQuest on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sam and Max is pretty damn ace in every way.

And it's truly, not truely.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gametap questions:

How portable is gametap?

My friend has an account, and I was thinking of trying to convince him to share it with me (like the way I let his roommate play Counterstrike on my Steam account). Can you log onto gametap from any computer that has the client installed?

Does gametap charge for extra client installs?

I hear they have multi-member family accounts. Could I conceivably set up my own account under his, and play it from my computer?

Does my computer have to talk to the gametap servers every time I play a game, or just when I install a new game? Do I have to login/logout or anything like that, just to play?

Basically, I want gametap, but I'm a cheap bastard.

edit: how does gametap work with mods/patches?

edit2: does Baldur's Gate 2 come with Throne of Bhaal?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Gametap questions:

How portable is gametap?

My friend has an account, and I was thinking of trying to convince him to share it with me (like the way I let his roommate play Counterstrike on my Steam account). Can you log onto gametap from any computer that has the client installed?

Does gametap charge for extra client installs?

I hear they have multi-member family accounts. Could I conceivably set up my own account under his, and play it from my computer?

Does my computer have to talk to the gametap servers every time I play a game, or just when I install a new game? Do I have to login/logout or anything like that, just to play?

Basically, I want gametap, but I'm a cheap bastard.

edit: how does gametap work with mods/patches?

edit2: does Baldur's Gate 2 come with Throne of Bhaal?

You need to be connected to the internet to use gametap, you can log in from anywhere that has the client installed, the only restriction is on concurrent logins (can't have 2 people logged into the same account), no idea how the family accounts thing works, patches and mods are hit or miss but usually miss, no xpac on BG2 as far as I know.

zilo on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The way it works, is that it installs a mirror of some of the data onto your system and then runs the executiable from a network drive that you logged into (the gametap service). All your save games and data is usually saved to thier servers (JA2 was mapped to my X drive. I don't have an X drive.) and cannot be edited or accessed locally. This can be a bitch when you need to update or reinstall games. Most of the arcade and Atari 8-/16-bit games are emulated and include savestates in addition to traditional saves.

That any bit helpful?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried Gametap last week and got kinda bored with it after a few days of skimming through games I've already played. I payed for a month for $1 and called them to cancel my second month.

Man. The guy on the phone was actually begging me to stay with them. He offered me the second month for free if I didn't leave them.

I felt kinda bad for telling him to just cancel the freaking thing.

AHH! on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Resurrecting this thread to ask a question. You guys ever download a game, then when you click to play it goes to your desktop then right back into Gametap without running the game? I've had this problem twice now and its slightly annoying.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Is this also open for Canuckians

And really man "truly" ffs

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man. Next time a deal like $60/year pops around I'm going to jump on it.

Sharp10r on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread to ask a question. You guys ever download a game, then when you click to play it goes to your desktop then right back into Gametap without running the game? I've had this problem twice now and its slightly annoying.

This was happening to me once. I can't remember whether I restarted gametap or restarted my system, but one of those things did the trick.

Food on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You do lose the ability to play the things when you leave the service, right?

Xagarath on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, I signed up yesterday, and here are my observations:

The gametap GUI is sluggish and chintzy. It's begging for 3d acceleration.

I don't like how much bandwidth is wasted on streaming ads for other games.

It desperately needs to use bittorrent or something like it for downloads. Downloading The Last Express today took 7 hours, thanks to slow download speeds and repeated unexplained download failures.

Performance on high end games is suspect. Deus Ex: Invisible War was a slideshow, and my computer can run HL2 extremely well.

Likewise, emulation on older games is iffy. AFAICT, there's no way to change the cycle speed for old DOS games, so Ultima 4 looked nice, but only responded to my keyboard commands maybe a quarter of the time. Shining Force ran well, but the music would pop out at strange times.

Also, X-Com ran way too fast.

And I'd like to be able to play some of those streaming videos in fullscreen.

They have good taste in games, I'll give them that. But the implementation is pretty crummy.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Guardian LegendGuardian Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do the multiplayer features in the old games work at all? Descent II is on Gametap. The thought of playing Descent 2 co-op makes me drool :)

Guardian Legend on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do the multiplayer features in the old games work at all? Descent II is on Gametap. The thought of playing Descent 2 co-op makes me drool :)

Some of them do, yes. It depends on whether that game has their own personal online servers that require you to enter a CD key or some other form of verification. Alot of the older and more popular console games (All of the Street Fighters, Darkstalkers, and Megaman Power Fighters.) have integrated online play as well. You can even set it up so that others can see you as open for a game while you're playing something else. It's a really nice feature if you're into multiplay.

Archonex on