As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] : Now owned by Nickelodeon.

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Buckle up, you pansies. It's time to talk about some muhfuckin'...

tmnt_575.jpg

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

These heroes in a half-shell were first introduced to the world in 1984, when Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird put out a black-and-white four issue miniseries that they self-published. The Turtles became a commercial sensation, spawning a ridiculously popular cartoon series, several films, arcade/video games, toys, and lots of other moichandise.

The original Turtles were initially created to parody the ultraviolent gritty comics that were becoming popular in the 1980s, such as Frank Miller's "Ronin". The trademark bandanas worn by the Turtles were all red, and they had no qualms dispatching their foes with brutal, fatal efficiency. The Shredder, whose status was elevated by the cartoon series into recurring supervillain, was handily disposed of in the inital miniseries. His popularity led to a few resurrections throughout the subsequent comic series, but he was never the Ultimate Baddie as depicted in the cartoon.

The cast (images spoilered for your convenience):
Leonardo - The eldest of the Turtles, his weapons of choice are twin katana blades.
Leonardo.gif
Raphael - Hot-tempered and sarcastic, Raph is easily the most independent of the fearsome foursome. He wields two sai.
TMNT_Raphael_by_Nutthead.jpg
Michelangelo - Often characterized as more light-hearted than his brothers, Mikey is naturally athletic. He uses nunchaku to smack his foes around.
TMNT_Michelangelo_by_rongs1234.jpg
Donatello - The brain of the group, his technical prowess and use of gadgetry has saved his brothers on more than one occasion. He uses the bo staff.
tmnt010.jpg
Splinter - Once a pet of ninja master, Hamato Yoshi, he is the sensei of the Turtles.
tmnt-splinter.jpg
The Shredder - Oroku Saki, leader of the Foot Clan and oft-archnemesis of the TMNT.
TMNT1987_Shredder.png
April O'Neil - Friend to the turtles, her origin varies in the various incarnations of the Turtles. She was known in the original cartoon as a news reporter.
April_Oniel_TMNT_ACEO_by_mainasha.jpg
Casey Jones - A vigilante that wears a hockey mask and uses a variety of melee weapons (notably a hockey stick). He and Raphael often go bust heads together.
195920-casey_jones_large.jpg
The Foot Clan - Cannon fodder.
tmnt_1.jpg

The original 1989 Arcade game is available on Xbox Live Arcade for 400 MS Points, and the awesome "ReShelled" version of Turtles in Time is also availabe for 800 MS Points. Both have co-op and ReShelled has online multiplayer. If anyone ever wants to take on the Foot Clan, look me up.

This thread is dedicated to discussing the awesomivity of the Heroes in a Half-Shell. Rock on, dudes and dudettes.

Turtle power indeed.

Ceno on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Turtle power, everybody. Turtle power.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Any word on a sequel to the TMNT movie?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TMNT toys and video games were an integral part of my childhood. I will always love them.

Raphael was the best. You should make a poll.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TMNT toys and video games were an integral part of my childhood. I will always love them.

Raphael is just some hot-head teenager. Leonardo is the mature responsible leader.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The class is Pain 101.
    And your instructor's CASEY JONES!

Qingu on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Richy wrote: »

Raphael is just some hot-head teenager. Leonardo is the mature responsible leader.

The only real answer for a tech nerd is Donatello.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Turtles are objectively the best thing. Making them ninjas is even better.

MKR on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I've actually just started watching the 2002 series. I'm four episodes in.

Um, does it get better? Mike's catchphrases are getting old, Baxter Stockman is generic and annoying, the plots are paper-thin and the voice acting is a little iffy. I realize it takes some series a while to warm up, but this has just been meh so far.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you forgot to mention their unnatural love for pizza

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think you've ever seen a turtle near a pizza.

MKR on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I played the hell out of the TMNT RPG back in the day.

Bio-E points were the shiznit.

"But if I give up hands and speech, I can breathe underwater."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    you forgot to mention their unnatural love for pizza

Yeah, they've hit the pizza button way too many times in the first four episodes.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Leonardo is obviously the worst turtle...let it be entered into the record.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    Any word on a sequel to the TMNT movie?

They showed some images for what I think is a sequel at PAX in the Turtle Van/Museum they had there.

Alternatively: Movie poster confusion.

Incenjucar on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nocturne on
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The best part of the TMNT movie was when Raphael kicked Leonardo's stupid, sanctimonious ass.

reVerse on
    edited October 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    The best part of the TMNT movie was when Raphael kicked Leonardo's stupid, sanctimonious ass.

Yes.

Raph and Leo and like Wolverine and Cyclops without the stupid fanboy shit that ruins Wolverine.

Incenjucar on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

If I meet you in real life, I owe you one hi5.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man, turtles in time was a great game

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    man, turtles in time was a great game

One of the best. Turtles were my overly commercialized franchise when I was a kid. My Pokemon if you will. I was all about the games, action figures, cartoons, movies, everything.

Nocturne on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I will always be sad that there was never a good transformers video game

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Another live action movie? Ehhhh... I'd prefer they stuck with the CGI.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Yes.

Raph and Leo and like Wolverine and Cyclops without the stupid fanboy shit that ruins Wolverine.

i dunno, raph had his super emo episodes which were crap
    wolverine whenever he got like that just went out into the wild and ran around with the wolves and shredded some deer for food
    raphael just goes topside, beats up some hoodlums and sits on a rooftop somewhere being emo

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There was no game that ever lived up to turtles in time. I have it for my old super and when its plugged in its STILL one of the only games I will spend some time on. I downloaded the ps3 version they day I saw it. I can't decide what I think, its still the same awesome game, but the updated graphics, I can't figure out if im happy with. I really love and miss the old rounded flat cartoon look of the super nintendo version. Still, the updated version was awesome. It was just so good to have all the enemies big or small roles in one game like that.

As for the original nintendo turtles game, that is STILL a difficult fucking game. The god damn swimming with electrocuting seaweed? Oh go FUCK yourself. Things that fly at you at angles you can't reflect or avoid because of the angle? WHORES. Not enough pizza's and lives with NO save? Classic nintendo.

It was great but, god I used to get frustrated with that game as a kid.

TonyTheLeper on
    edited October 2009
    all kind of old nintendo games were harder than that

I remember the original TMNT game having the distinction of being one of the few games my young self actually managed to beat

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited October 2009
    The only game that I never made it through I can remember as a kid on the old nintendo was....wait for it...
    Mc kids. Yea, the mcdonalds game. It was truly awesome, and I only ever played it at my cousins, I have NO idea where they got it from but it was pure gold. I really wish I had actually owned that game so I could have beat it.

Paper boy 2 was always a bit of a whore game from start to finish without using the route codes to skip through to the biggest neighbourhoods.

TonyTheLeper on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only game that I never made it through I can remember as a kid on the old nintendo was....wait for it...
    Mc kids. Yea, the mcdonalds game. It was truly awesome, and I only ever played it at my cousins, I have NO idea where they got it from but it was pure gold. I really wish I had actually owned that game so I could have beat it.

Paper boy 2 was always a bit of a whore game from start to finish without using the route codes to skip through to the biggest neighbourhoods.

I own that game

no idea where it came from.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009

I own that game

no idea where it came from.

Yea man, it was the same with them. No one ever does that owns it, and those that don't own it don't believe you its a real game. I've been to every used game store I know looking for that game over the years and I get nothing but blank stares adn people thinking im making it up or looking in the section with the "Bible Games".

TonyTheLeper on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

I remember the original TMNT game having the distinction of being one of the few games my young self actually managed to beat

Is that the one with the "swim under the dam and undo bombs" level?

I never fucking passed that god damned level. I had a friend pass it once and get to the part where you drive a van around, but we never actually beat the game.

_J_ on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    turtles was just barely before my time, but i still managed to be a huge whore for it. i have all the games, the toys, and the movies on VHS.
    my one complaint with the whole thing is that mikey is such a one-note character, comic relief. actually, no, i have another complaint:
    what was with the toys later on? they milked it so hard. baseball turtles? SURE. raph dressed as a magician? OKAY. it didn't matter if the turtles never actually dressed like that ever. and the only shredder figure was so lame, his stance made him look like a cripple. i remember the batman toys doing this, too.

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2009
    turtles was just barely before my time, but i still managed to be a huge whore for it. i have all the games, the toys, and the movies on VHS.
    my one complaint with the whole thing is that mikey is such a one-note character, comic relief. actually, no, i have another complaint:
    what was with the toys later on? they milked it so hard. baseball turtles? SURE. raph dressed as a magician? OKAY. it didn't matter if the turtles never actually dressed like that ever. and the only shredder figure was so lame, his stance made him look like a cripple. i remember the batman toys doing this, too.

It went down-hill after the military turtles, because the submarine was a pretty great toy.

I still have all of my old turtle toys. They were fucking awesome.

_J_ on
    edited October 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

I never fucking passed that god damned level. I had a friend pass it once and get to the part where you drive a van around, but we never actually beat the game.

That is the one alright. FUCK. THAT. LEVEL.

The van was kinda cool, but it was so short lived and really had nothing to do with the game haha.

TonyTheLeper on
    edited October 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

That is the one alright. FUCK. THAT. LEVEL.

The van was kinda cool, but it was so short lived and really had nothing to do with the game haha.

I liked the first arcade game. That was pretty enjoyable for a while.

But, yeah, that first NES game was a bitch.

_J_ on
    edited October 2009
    they had mini sets that were pretty sweet too, and they even had they giant blimp you could blow up.
    i loved the shit out of those minis

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I had a ton of the toys, including the first action figures from 1988. I also remember playing with the sewer dojo and turtle van. Good times.

Nocturne on
    edited October 2009
    Mikey wasn't that much more one dimensional than any of the other characters

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited October 2009

there is at least some level of interesting chemistry between the other turtles, but mikey is always slapstick humor or lame joke and then the other turtles facepalm and move on

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2009

there is at least some level of interesting chemistry between the other turtles, but mikey is always slapstick humor or lame joke and then the other turtles facepalm and move on

His issues are much more subtle. His comic relief behavior comes from a mixture of being the "youngest" brother, and being notably less intelligent than average. Raph knows he's a badass at the end of the day, and is the Turtle who has actually gotten LAID. Leo has his leadership skills and his pursuit of honor. Don is a goddamned super genius. What does Mike have? He can get people to laugh at his stupidity.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

Well yeah, but when I was in the single digit ages his humor was awesome.

Nocturne on