As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So... the kilts.

2»

• Options
    killtripkilltrip Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eyes5 wrote: »
    What are you supposed to wear under a utilikilt?

My response when a gal asks me that same question..

A real lady wouldn't ask..
    If you're not a real lady, you'd find out for yourself.

Others:

Whats worn under there?
    Well.. nothings worn.. its all in perfect condition!

Lipstick.

Socks and Shoes.

killtrip on
    twitter: @killtrip
  • Options
    CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    killtrip wrote: »
    Others:

Whats worn under there?
    Well.. nothings worn.. its all in perfect condition!

Lipstick.

Socks and Shoes.

In the Penny Arcade/D&D crowd, wouldn't it be more like "Nothing's worn: Never been used!" Sorry.:P

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eyes5 wrote: »
    What are you supposed to wear under a utilikilt?

Lipstick, if you're lucky :winky:

I think someone said this already though D:

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    lillejordlillejord Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I'll stick to shorts thank you.

Though I will say this- kilts don't bother me near as much as skin tight biker shorts...

lillejord on
  • Options
    geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    beware of men sporting kilts aspiring to be True Scotsmen

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    EpyonMkIEpyonMkI Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    The most humorous thing about wearing a Utilikilt is the phenomenon that is experienced when you have worn your Utilikilt (or other kilt) for some period of time, and then put on pants or shorts.

Many folks actually receive a moment of 'embarrassment'. A feeling as if suddenly they are showing off too much, and that they are being WAY too revealing. The kilt itself is remarkably covering, and extremely comfortable. So when you squeeze yourself back into a pair of jeans or other bifurcated garment...you feel like you're in a spandex bodysuit.

The Utilikilt is the ONLY goddamn garment for men. Seriously. To hell with pants.

EpyonMkI on
    "Excuse me sir? Are you one of the robots that make up Voltron?"

"Yes....in fact I'm the chest."
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How many birds can you fit up a PAX-goer's utilikilt?
    It depends on the size of the perch!

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    Slipstream.ccSlipstream.cc Mill Creek, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Utilikilts were in legion at GenCon this year. Its definitely not just a PAX thing.

Slipstream.cc on
    I play Indoors | PAX's Attended: 07 08 09 10 12 13
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've known of kilts in nerd fashion for at least 8 years, perhaps 10, ever since I first saw Utilikilts being sold on ThinkGeek (which they don't carry anymore) and later Patrick Norton wearing it on the ScreenSavers when it was still TechTV. First off, its Scottish, so its immediately awesome and not crap. Second, it involves not wearing pants but still avoiding indecency charges unless you were them "traditionally". Third, if you look past social standards and preconceptions, its a 100 times more practical then pants in many respects. No, I do not own one, but only because I could never pay for it.

terrix on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Last year at PAX, I swore I was going to buy one of these this year.

This year at PAX, due to cash-flow issues, I had $85 to my name and had to make it last the whole weekend.

Next year, I swear...!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stupid wrote: »
    Last year at PAX, I swore I was going to buy one of these this year.

This year at PAX, due to cash-flow issues, I had $85 to my name and had to make it last the whole weekend.

Next year, I swear...!

You could always go the 'sweat equity' route:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Cargo-Kilt/

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I fucking love pants.

Sry, wrong thread.

Cerrato0426 on
  • Options
    TranceAddictFoXTranceAddictFoX Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have to admit that I would love to buy one to try, but they are quite pricey. We will see if I can save up enough by PAX2010

TranceAddictFoX on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I went to Seattle on my honeymoon a couple of weeks ago and found out some interesting things.

Utilikilts got their start in Seattle, which is why you see so many. I ran into a guy at the airport who was on my flight into Seattle, he said he liked his Aperture Science shirt, I complimented his kilt.

Anyway found the main Utilikilt store not far from where the Convention center is in Pioneer Square. I am now the proud owner of a new kilt (been wanting one for years since I first saw them on Thinkgeek). Also, I like that they measure the carrying capacity in cans of beer.

Reasons to own a kilt - "Better to be caught with your kilt up then your pants down"

terrix on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One of my goals for 2010 is to get a kilt. I get a lot of assholes saying "They're not kilts, they're skirts. There's no tartan. It's not scottish." blah blah blah.

You know what? Utilikilts are the Seattle tartan. I will wear one and represent my clan with pride.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I gotta say, I did not see the adaption of kilts as a practical matter coming.

In New England, there's still a lot of ethnic Scots (not (Irish-)Scotch) who were plopped down in Maine or Nova Scotia, including my father's mother who was a Nicholson (Clan MacNicol/MacNeacail). Its not that weird to see kilts, but not for day to day use. I've been to wakes, a funeral and a wedding in the last year that had people wearing them (and not just the pipers) and I've been to Highland games where people have worn them. But wearing them day-to-day? Weird...
    ed
    Liger wrote: »
    Utilikilts are the Seattle tartan.

Actually Seattle already has one

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Amongst the conventions here in MA you'll see some kilts. Only a few (really the same guys that go to the different conventions).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fascinating! I also took this from the utilikilt website:

"A NOTE ABOUT “REAL KILTS”:

It is often suggested that Utilikilts* are not “real kilts.” This is 100% TRUE!

“Real Kilts” are defined as: “A knee-length skirt with deep pleats, usually of a tartan wool, worn as part of the dress for men in the Scottish Highlands.”

Utilikilts*, on the other hand, are manskirts (as are Scottish traditional kilts, and, for that matter, any M.U.G (Men’s Unbifurcated Garment)."

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
This discussion has been closed.