As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ripper: Dante's Inferno meets Murdered Prostitutes

-SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Apparently Visceral Games, the guys behind Dead Space and the upcoming brain trauma in video game form Dante's Inferno possibly have a third project on the go: A video game based off the 19th century serial killer Jack the Ripper.

jacktheripperrumorfirst.jpg

Rumours via Gamasutra

Ok, so Dead Space was their version of resident evil etc and Dante's Inferno is their version of God of War so this would be their version of Hotel Dusk or Heavy Rain or something right? Where you hunt down the killer in some adventure game, finding clues Pheonix Wright style or something? Or like those creepy early parts of Call of Cthulu where it was light on action and heavy on atmosphere. This could be really awesome.

Well, not... quite
When you think of Jack the Ripper, you think of a psychopathic serial killer right? Well, what if everything we knew about Jack was wrong? What if Jack the Ripper was actually a good person, killing to save other people’s lives?

That’s the Jack our sources tell us you're going to experience in The Ripper. He’s a supernatural slayer protecting people from demons, vampires and other evil monsters. And seeing as how this is Visceral Studios, don’t expect your typical, played-out demons. Instead, imagine a cross between the monsters from Dead Space and Dante’s Inferno. Jack will have an assortment of over-the-top weapons to take on these demons, and we're told gameplay involves a special ability that lets him slow down time, too.

Sure it's still all unconfirmed, but after what Dante's Inferno turned into I'm ready to believe anything when it comes to these guys. Looking forward to the Moby Dick game where Captain Ahab is a cyborg fighting the armies of the sea god Neptune as he tries to wipe out all land-dwellers.

-SPI- on

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking forward to the Moby Dick game where Captain Ahab is a cyborg fighting the armies of the sea god Neptune as he tries to wipe out all land-dwellers.

Please don't give them ideas.

Must bullet time be in every game made nowadays?

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm. I think I might find it difficult to buy a Ripper who dismembers whores, cutting off breasts and the like, for good.

I find myself strangely reminded of the second From Hell appendix: "Soon someone will notice the disturbing similarities between the Ripper crimes and recent cattle mutilations, from which they will draw the only sensible conclusion." Cue Jack the Ripper as Victorian alien wearing a black top hat.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ... What the hell. So you're going to be killing ... I don't even get this. Jack The Ripper is famous, but he didn't kill hundreds or anything. Are you going to fight like 11 demonic prostitutes? God this is retarded.

This would be much more cool as a murder mystery game. Especially since it still is a mystery.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking forward to the Moby Dick game where Captain Ahab is a cyborg fighting the armies of the sea god Neptune as he tries to wipe out all land-dwellers.

Please don't give them ideas.

Must bullet time be in every game made nowadays?

Actually I am pretty sure the next game has you playing a time traveling Hitler who travels through the past, present, and future to track down and stop Gandhi from piecing together the Crown of Osiris and thus unleashes a 1000 years of darkness.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    *gnashes teeth*

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Lionel-Richie on
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Actually I am pretty sure the next game has you playing a time traveling Hitler who travels through the past, present, and future to track down and stop Gandhi from piecing together the Crown of Osiris and thus unleashes a 1000 years of darkness.
    Okay, that I would play. Actually, I'd play the German version, where you play Hilter, leader of the Eagle Empire.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ... What the hell. So you're going to be killing ... I don't even get this. Jack The Ripper is famous, but he didn't kill hundreds or anything. Are you going to fight like 11 demonic prostitutes? God this is retarded.

It'll be like SotC with prostitutes - you hold up your knife, a beam of light cuts through the London fog to show where they are, then you slit the glowing weak-point on their throats.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    SotC with prostitutes
    If you can't sell that concept to EA, then the world's a sad, dreary place. Or something.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can actually see this work pretty well.

They could weave a really tragic tale about how he was just trying to do good but was obviously hunted by the police/the public and maybe at the end the demons actually trick him into murdering innocents and he really turns into the murderer the public thinks he is? So he won his secret war against the demons but will forever be remembered as a terrible murderer and burn in hell for committing a real murder of innocents?

I wouldn't put this past Visceral Games.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »

It'll be like SotC with prostitutes - you hold up your knife, a beam of light cuts through the London fog to show where they are, then you slit the glowing weak-point on their throats.

Did. . . Did 19th Century London have giant 100 foot tall prostitutes?

That is way cooler than America's 100 foot tall Mecha-Lincoln.

Axen on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm thinking they will rip off Manhunt.

Couscous on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I for one will be optimistic about this. I love insane things, and I think its ridiculous that people are looking down on Dante's Inferno because it raped the source material. Who cares?
    I look down on it because the pr is horrible and their version of a good/evil system looks retarded. Everything else looks pretty cool though.

Jack the Ripper killing demons? Sounds interesting. I am fucking sick of controlling time though.

And for the record I would totally play that Moby Dick game. Open your minds people. Accept the retarded with a smile instead of shunning.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Which ripped off Splinter cell, which ripped off Hitman.
    Stealth games are a genre.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
    edited October 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Which ripped off Splinter cell, which ripped off Hitman.
    Stealth games are a genre.

You misunderstand me. I don't mean they will rip off the general stealth gameplay. I mean they will ripoff the focus on gorey finishing moves based upon stealth, the ultraviolence, the encouragement of killing, etc. Because this is EA, it will involve various justifications such as the people you are killing being demons instead of just thugs.

Couscous on
  • FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ...yeah.

And game developers continue to wonder about how they can draw in the female demographic. Hint; this shit? Not good for furthering that cause. And...eh to all the people that'll buy it because of how far out and craaazy it sounds. With this and some of the stuff coming out about the lust level of Dante's Inferno (nipples that shit demon babies?) I'm just wondering wtf issues these developers have with wimmins.

Floofy on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This sounds great, if for no other reason that there are very few games set in late Victorian London :O

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cue the finally-justified screams of "VIDEO GAMES ARE MURDER SIMULATORS" from parents and the media in 3, 2, 1...

Sorenson on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Actually, they have a character sort of like this on Sanctuary. He wasn't doing good, but he was a good guy driven mad by his ability to teleport or something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Day one.

UnbreakableVow on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    I can actually see this work pretty well.

They could weave a really tragic tale about how he was just trying to do good but was obviously hunted by the police/the public and maybe at the end the demons actually trick him into murdering innocents and he really turns into the murderer the public thinks he is? So he won his secret war against the demons but will forever be remembered as a terrible murderer and burn in hell for committing a real murder of innocents?

I wouldn't put this past Visceral Games.

kind of like batman

if batman ripped prostitutes apart

Nuzak on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jack the Ripper killing hookers* for the sake of humanity? I can get behind that.

*Actually they're demons.

For some reason I get a Nightmare Creatures vibe from this.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are we forcing the main character in Hellgate to wear a top hat?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
    edited October 2009
    I can see Jack the Ripper bringing a certain Jack the Lawyer back into the spotlight.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I think its ridiculous that people are looking down on Dante's Inferno because it raped the source material. Who cares?
    I'm gonna take a stab in the dark on this one and guess.... the people complaining care?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i think it's a pity because, in the case of dante's inferno and jack the ripper, both of them are more interesting tales than what the games studio has chosen to make of them

Nuzak on
    edited October 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Jack the Ripper killing hookers* for the sake of humanity? I can get behind that.

*Actually they're demons.

For some reason I get a Nightmare Creatures vibe from this.

Man, now I kinda wish this was more of an Assassin's Creed rip off.

Picture this.

It's 19th century London and a cabal of succubus have descended on the city. Each of the succubus is in control of a certain section of London, and Jack (professional demon slayer and friend to mankind) must track down each succubus and slay her. However these succubus have local high ranking officials and various other powerful people under their spell. So getting to them will not be easy and the police are actively working against you. You would also need to do a bit of research and snooping to make sure the woman you are planning to kill is in fact a succubus and not an "innocent". Of course to the people and the Press you are just a serial killer who gruesomely murders whores.

Axen on
    edited October 2009
    That's kind of what annoys me. The interesting part of Jack the Ripper is that it's an unsolved murder mystery. When your starting point is the solution, that's less intriguing.

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    I can see Jack the Ripper bringing a certain Jack the Lawyer back into the spotlight.

Jack the Former Lawyer, you mean. I'm surprised he never got on at Fox News.

...anyway, the Ghost of Jack the Lawyer is bound to riiiiiiiiiiiise either way

FireWeasel on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sweet guys, it's bullet time!!

We aren't bored of that yet.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited October 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Sweet guys, it's bullet time!!

We aren't bored of that yet.

They could call it "Bordello" time.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I think its ridiculous that people are looking down on Dante's Inferno because it raped the source material. Who cares?
    I'm gonna take a stab in the dark on this one and guess.... the people complaining care?

Certainly they should get the fuck over it or something.

Dante's Inferno looks pretty good from a gameplay perspective.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Right now the only things that I don't like about Dante's Inferno is the whole kill/absolve thing or whatever. Looks really tacked on and pointless.

Also some of the levels look really gross. Which I actually give them kudos for, as I doubt hell would just be a lot of fire and maybe some skeletons.

But yeah, i really like the premise for this. I bet you go through the game fighting a bunch of different demons, but they all turn to dust or get sucked into hell when you kill them or something so there's no evidence. The prostitutes are probably werewolves.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's like a 12 year old kid is head of this company and just making them make games he thinks are cool.

Kyougu on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    It's like a 12 year old kid is head of this company and just making them make games he thinks are cool.

As long as it's as fun as Dead Space, give that 12 year old another candy bar and a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew.

mrsnackroad on
    edited October 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Next up: Stonehenge is under siege by cyborg dinosaurs from an alternate dimension.

FireWeasel on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh, now to be the buzzkill - but am I the only one who kind of cringed at turning a serial killer into a hero?

Like (as was the case with Dante's Inferno), cant they ever go "Hey - Jack The Ripper was an interesting case. What if he was a hero? Wow! What a starting point!" and then call it "LONDON MURDERS". The plot of a guy saving humanity - but everyone thinking he's murdering hookers, is a very cool plot.

But when I see them taking a real life guy, who killed other real life people (who more than likely have real life descendants), being turned into a hero, it just makes me think it's extremely poor taste. Even so many years later, even if NO ONE cares, I just could never find myself working at a company and being ok with the idea that in my game, we're going to pretend someone's great-great-great-great aunt was really a demon so her brutal muder was alright.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Next, Hitler the Pioneer.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited October 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ugh, now to be the buzzkill - but am I the only one who kind of cringed at turning a serial killer into a hero?

Like (as was the case with Dante's Inferno), cant they ever go "Hey - Jack The Ripper was an interesting case. What if he was a hero? Wow! What a starting point!" and then call it "LONDON MURDERS". The plot of a guy saving humanity - but everyone thinking he's murdering hookers, is a very cool plot.

But when I see them taking a real life guy, who killed other real life people (who more than likely have real life descendants), being turned into a hero, it just makes me think it's extremely poor taste. Even so many years later, even if NO ONE cares, I just could never find myself working at a company and being ok with the idea that in my game, we're going to pretend someone's great-great-great-great aunt was really a demon so her brutal muder was alright.

Hookers don't count as people. The only way this can work is by removing the things that made Jack the Ripper interesting and unique such as the apparent hatred of women, fact the case wasn't solved, fuzziness of who counts as a victim of his, etc.

Couscous on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's my big thing with it as well, they're basically trying to justify and glorify someone who's one of the most infamous and early serial killers in history. GODWIN ALERT: it'd be like if someone designed a game where the premise is that Hitler is leading a covert earth defense force where the enemy invaders have possessed the bodies of all the jews and poles and non-aryans because the germanic people's DNA makes them immune to alien possession.

PREPOST CHECK: And cooljammer's post is completily coincidental.

Sorenson on
    edited October 2009
    I would love a movie/game with that Hitler premise SO MUCH just for the controversy.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg