As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] MoO 2: Update 1: Stepping Out into The Stars

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So that Spathi build I made in the second post? Amazing. I tried to role play Spathi as much as possible, was peaceful, got elected rather easily (I had, um, 88 of the 114 votes because that build breeds crazy fast). Ran away from all fights so never got Orion. Would be a boring LP as I never fought a war.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm among the turtlers here. Colonize like crazy, build a single fast strike fleet for early defense, then focus on
    research of planetary defenses so each world could weather a storm. Then space stations and forts. Intermix the odd weapon research to keep up with the neighbors.

Once I felt confident from a defensive footing I'd go all out on ship construction and overwhelm opponents one world at a time. Doom Stars. Om nom nom.

Divebommah on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    telepathic boarding parties are hilarious.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be starting the playthrough here in about an hour and a half or so, so if you've got any last minute votes, start gettin' 'em in.

Salvation122 on
  • aspaaspa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always go for Uncreative. It randomizes what techs you can get so every game will be different. Makes you think a lot about diplomacy, tech trading and espionage too.

aspa on
    edited October 2009
    Starting now. Going with 8 Players, Klackon Portrait, Red Flag, Pacifist Technologists.

Salvation122 on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn I want a good 4x for the iPhone.

I always went The Empire. Building big fleets and crushing races under
    foot. Well, Amazonian Empire anyway.:winky:

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited October 2009
    I need planet names, people!

Salvation122 on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    !Arcadia, of course!

MechMantis on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Terra Wanga
    Wang Central
    PlanetWang:Torment
    Wangout 3

:D

a5ehren on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wangtopia
    Salsivan
    ReeeRreeReee
    Lapitania
    Bugaloo
    Hive Zero
    Overlord (spawn more)
    VictimRUs since your pacifist

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Black Magick

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Geeanteeia

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A Katamari
    Zebes
    Sphincter
    (Even better if it's a brown dwarf star)

Also, there has to be a Doom Star called "A Moon".

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    URF

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I loved this game. I used to play on some gaming network back in the day... (Heat.com? Mplayer.com? can someone help me here?) Remember using an hourly fee, and then getting raped after the bill came in.

My favorite race was the Bulrathi. Ground combat was a dream.

Looking forward to this Let's play!

Pastee on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wangeria
    Bob

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you happen to come across a desert planet with natives, I request it be named Arrakis.

see317 on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesometopia
    World of Cheese
    Pleasure Planet

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
    edited October 2009
    Good stuff. The first two systems I colonized I came up with names for on my own, and while I could have sworn you could change system names I can't seem to figure out how to do so now. It's kind of unfortunate because they're both very, very good systems that deserve better names than I slapped on 'em - we lucked out in that we got two nearby Terran worlds, one Rich, one Ultra-Rich.

Salvation122 on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't think there's any way to change a systems name once you reach it.
    At least, I never found a way when I was playing.

see317 on
    edited October 2009
    Good stuff. The first two systems I colonized I came up with names for on my own, and while I could have sworn you could change system names I can't seem to figure out how to do so now. It's kind of unfortunate because they're both very, very good systems that deserve better names than I slapped on 'em - we lucked out in that we got two nearby Terran worlds, one Rich, one Ultra-Rich.

Here's hoping there isn't a wormhole leading from those planets to some assholes like the Bulrathi.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Name a planet Xeen!

Corak on
    I live!
    edited October 2009

Congrats, you win!

Spathiwa

enlightenedbum on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Erotica IX

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    Erotica LXIX
    Fixed :winky:

a5ehren on
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One vote for "Potatoho"

Five points if you guess the reference.

Divebommah on
    edited October 2009
    There was a pretty bad storm here last night and the net went down. I'll be busy studying for (and taking) an exam until about 5, but I hope to get the update up this evening.

Salvation122 on
    edited October 2009
    A preface: Fuck AT&T DSL. That is all.

Stepping Out Into the Stars

So, we've built our race - Pacifistic Technologist Space Ants, henceforth known as Arcadians. They're Democratic, Creative, and have a Rich Homeworld, but take penalties to production, ship defense and ground combat. They also have a penchant for the color red. We've even got a couple of ships to go plinking around with, as well as a colony ship to start up our interplanetary empire. (Err, democracy.) But before we go out into the Wild Black Yonder, we should probably take a look at our local neighborhood.
    moo2homesystem.png

This is the star system Arcadia, the cradle of our civilization. As starting systems go, it's pretty unimpressive - the only other habitable body is a mineral poor, environmentally toxic planet. We can't even terraform this hellhole into being decent. Eventually, we may be able to use the asteroid belt for something, but that's out of our reach for the moment. Guess we better start looking elsewhere, then.

moo2galaxy.png

This is our galaxy. We're pretty much plumb in the middle of it, with a nebula to the galactic east and what will no doubt become a nusiance of a black hole to the northwest.

The only two star systems in range are the dim orange to the north and the red giant to the southwest. We've got two scouts, so one gets dispatched to each. (As an aside, if there are more than two systems in range, some players scout with their colony ship. I personally find this to be unnecessarily risky, as it can lead to your colony ship getting eaten by space dragons.)

While the scout ships are en route, we tell our populace back home to start churning out freighters.

moo2buildscreen.png

This is the build screen. As you can see, you can queue up multiple items at a time. This becomes important later not only so that you aren't bothered constantly by having to reset production every five turns, but for production hoarding, which we'll cover later. The elements to the right are repeatable - you can always build more colony ships or spies. The stuff on the left are buildings, which you can only have one of, and Trade Goods and Housing, which divert production into either making you money or expanding your population.

Freighters, by the way, are the absolute lifeblood of an efficient interstellar empire. They have a low initial cost, only charge maintenance if they're in use, and allow you to instantaneously transport food between colonies. Unfortunately, the interstellar agricultural conglomerates won't give up the secrets to hopping across the galaxy instantaneously, so food shipments are the only thing in MoO2 that moves instantaneously between points until the endgame. They also allow you to transport population from one system to another - five freighters per population shifted (so roughly 200m people fit on each freighter.) Anyway, we start building them now because our prospective colony won't be able to both build stuff and grow food at the same time when it first starts up, as it will only have one population unit, and starving a brand new colony is just stupid.

While our megacorporate firms battle over who gets the contracts to produce our freighters, we direct our scientists to research, among other things, better science facilities.

moo2researchscreen.png

This is the research screen. As you can see, there are eight fields of research. Because we're Creative, we get all the techs in each field (so, in this case, we get Dauntless Guidance Systems for our missiles and Optronic Targeting Computers effectively for free.) Normally, you have to choose from one of the options, and either trade or spy for the rest. Uncreative races get stuck with a single random tech.

While all of this is going on, our scouts report back that they've discovered planets around both systems we sent them to explore!

moo2system1.png

So, we've got a barren lifeless rock we can't farm on, and a ball of toxic gas with no resources to speak of. Awesome. How'd you do, Scout 2?

moo2system2.png

Well, this one at least has some resources, but we still can't farm on it, and the radiation would slow our population growth and cap it at a very low level. Ick. Neither of these are good choices, so rather than settling on either system and consigning ourselves to a slow start, I build an outpost ship.

moo2outpostship.png

Outpost ships set up unmanned refuling depots and allow you to reach systems beyond your normal fuel range. They still have to be set up on bodies of some sort, though, so if you get stuck with a bunch of stars without planets or asteroid belts you're kind of screwed. If you colonize a world that previously had an outpost on it, you get a free Marine Barracks out of it, and Outposts also prevent other races from colonizing worlds they're based on, which makes them a great way to cheaply grab territory in the early game. It takes roughly 1/3 the time to build an outpost that it does to build a colony ship.

While that's under construction, we get word of a mercenary that's looking for a job.

moo2draxx.png

Despite his rather unsavory nature, we agree to hire Draxx. The Spy Master ability is largely unnecessary, since we'll be getting all the techs anyway, but Assassin gives a flat percentage chance per turn to kill an enemy spy that's infiltrated our systems. This is very handy considering a democracy's defensive spy penalty.

Our Outpost ship is completed, and sent to Ravati - that was the system with the radiated planet, which we set up shop on. Our scouts then go to the white star to the galactic east, where they truly luck out.

moo2secundussystem.png

The planet's damn near perfect - resources literally just sticking out of the ground for us to pick up, along with a breathable atmosphere, normal gravity, and plenty of arable land. We really couldn't hope to do much better than this. It's a little bit smaller than Arcadia, but the higher production should offset that quite well. The other planets in the system are high in resources as well, though unfortunately don't support farming. We direct our colony ship to build there immediately.

Shortly thereafter, our scientists report that they've finished development of some new state-of-the-art facilities.

moo2researchlab.png

Research labs are a great early investment; they not only increase the already high productivity of our scientists, but also do research entirely on their own. We tell Arcadia to build one.

I unfortunately forgot to take a screenshot of it, but this is where production hoarding comes into play. You can switch production from one project to another at absolutely no cost. The way you take advantage of this, then, is to start production on something really expensive - in this case, a Colony Ship - and then swap to whatever the other project is as needed. Any production applied to the initial project is moved over to the new one, and any remainder goes back on the original project. So, if you've done ten turns of work on a Colony Ship, and swap it to a Research Lab which costs seven turns to build, the lab will complete instantly, and you'll still have three turns worth of work left on the Colony Ship after the lab is completed. It doesn't actually make any logical sense, but it's a gameplay technique we'll be abusing the hell out of.

While our labs are building and our colony ship is en route, we get word that a diplomatic advisor has applied for a position on our staff.

moo2lydon.png

Diplomats add a flat number to diplomacy checks, which is okay - and Famous people lower the intial cost of hiring other advisors, which is pretty good - but Megawealthy is awesome. Megawealthy leaders add a flat 10BC/turn to your economy, and require no upkeep. Essentialy, they're paying you to let them work for you. Especially in the early game they're an extremely sweet catch. Lydon is hired without a second thought.

moo2biospheres.png

Our scientists come back to us with a couple of new discoveries in Biology. First up are Hydroponic Farms, which produce a flat two units of food per turn. Useful for getting colonies up on their feet, but not outstanding once you get a couple of planets churning out food. Biospheres, on the other hand, are one of the best techs in the game - they increase the max population of a world by two. When a single unit of population can turn out 30 production or so in the endgame, this tech can quite literally be the deciding factor in wars.

Happy with our newfound ability to overcrowd our colonies, we direct our researchers to look into better defenses and production capabilities.

Our colony ship has arrived, and the world of Secundus is claimed in the name of the Arcadians. (Secundus, if you're curious, is a Heinlein reference.) We immediately set up a production queue for the budding new colony.

moo2secundusbuild1.png

We got so excited when we discovered Secundus that we forgot there were other star systems in range, so we send our scouts out once again to ply the inky depths.

moo2kronoswormhole.png

System on the whole is pretty meh - once again we've got a rock (albeit one with some resources) and a useless toxic piece of shit. HOWEVER, this system has a wormhole!

Scout 2, what did you find?

Spoilered so the thread loads efficiently, and certainly not for dramatic effect!
    moo2ohshitorion.png

OH SHI-

12250882318c1M2H.jpg

Scout 2 doesn't even have time to run away; the Guardian lances it with a single beam and blows them to hell.

Proving that even in the far future where interstellar empires are commonplace, if it bleeds, it leads, is GNN, the Galactic News Network, broadcasting our (and everyone else's) misfortune.

moo2orionbroadcast.png

Gee, thanks for letting everyone else know I'm down a man. (In truth, I don't know if the AI actually takes these broadcasts into account; I don't believe so.)

Scout 1, blissfully ignorant of his friend's demise, finds that the wormhole in the Kronos system leads one system over. Not the most helpful, that. He can't go any further in that direction, so he turns around and picks up where Scout 2 left off.

moo2discoveringtycho.png

HOLY CRAP YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

We immediately direct Secundus and Arcadia to redouble their efforts in building colony ships. We need this world!

At the same time, we get another note that we have an agricultural advisor looking for a position on our staff. Hell, might as well hire him, not like we've got a lot going on at the moment.

moo2kimbuzzi.png

We direct Administrator Kimbuzzi to focus his efforts on Arcadia. We also tell Draxx to go hang out on Secundus, though there's no pressing need for him to. (I believe, but am not certain, that leaders level faster if they're assigned to a world.) He'll get there in a few turns.

moo2leadersscreen.png

This is the leaders screen. It allows us to assign colony advisors to systems, fleet officers to ships, to return both to the capital to mooch and do nothing, or to fire them. Importantly, a leader's bonuses are conveyed to an entire system, not a single world, which can make a system with a lot of borderline-decent planets into a powerhouse of a system.

Meanwhile, our research into advanced engineering has borne fruit!

moo2automatedfactories.png

Automated Factories produce five production on their own, and increase the production of all workers in the colony by one. This effectively negates the racial production penalty we have. They're also considered one of the most vital early-game techs, as they'll typically add between 25-50% to any worker's productivity at this stage in the game, allowing you to get Colony Ships and Star Bases finished in a comparatively timely manner.

moo2missilebase.png

Missile Bases help deter enemy orbital attacks by firing your most powerful missiles at enemy ships attacking the world. It's theoretically possible for them to run out of ammo but I've never seen it happen. Unfortunately, they're not terribly sturdy, and they get blown up pretty easily mid- to late-game or by Antarans pretty much whenever.

Oh, hey, look, GNN's back. Good news this time?

moo2terranshiftbroadcas.png

Rotten news! First, we now know we're fighting the Silicoids, which are truly irritating opponents. And second, they got an improvement to their ecosystem that is entirely useless to them! That's a terran planet we'll have to wrest from their stony grasp, instead of luckily stumbling upon!

Being in something of a hurry to grab that other rich terran planet, we rush production of the Automated Factories on Secundus.

moo2buyingproduction.png

You spend roughly 30% more for purchased production than natural. However, since Democracies produce 50% more revenue (see, free trade is awesome!) we can afford to do this, and will be doing it often once our economy starts to ramp up in order to keep up with more productive races like the Silicoids (who don't have to worry about pollution.)

This is the planet screen, by the way! Here you can see how many workers you have doing what jobs, other planets in the system, the system's leader, any morale bonuses or penalties (in the row above the famers) and net income/deficit of the colony (above the food production.) The gap in the food row represents extra food being produced, either for export, or because you're inefficiently producing more than you need (as in this case.) Buildings on the planet are down at the bottom (you can see Research Labs to the right and Hydroponic Farms to the left), and you can scrap them (if you're really desperate to save on upkeep) by clicking on them. We probably won't be looking at this screen very much, because...

moo2buildcolonyships.png

...the colony screen is much more efficient, offering a more compact view of the same information, letting you quickly sort and compare colonies, direct production, and move workers both between different jobs and different colonies. It's not much better at this point, though once we get up into the double-digit number of colonies it'll be a lifesaver in finding out who's producing all this goddamn extra food good christ why don't you guys do something productive I don't give a fuck about your family farms just sell out to big agra already god.

Ahem.

Our scientist buddy comes back letting us know that they've developed better training methods for starship crews. 'Kay.

moo2spaceacademy.png

Meanwhile we go looking around at other stars and stuff.

moo2discoverzardan.png

So, another useless hunk of rock then. 'Kay. OH SHI-

moo2trillarians.png

<voiceclass_Helloween>ALIENS!</voiceclass> Specifically, Trilarians. They're facist trans-dimensional fish dudes, which means that they treat Tundra, Swamp, Ocean, and Terran planets better for the purposes of farming and population, add 2 to the speed of their interstellar FTL drives, and add 4 to their combat speed.

We immediately head down to the Embassy to hash some stuff out.

moo2diplomacyscreen.png

This is the Diplomacy Screen. From here, you control espionage, get reports on each race you've encountered, and enter into diplomatic negotiations with them.

"Hey, uhm, Ackbar. You want to buy our shit and trade technical data?"

moo2proposefirsttreatie.png

Ackbar agrees to both a trade treaty and a research treaty. Trade and research treaties require a little cash to get set up - in this case, 7BC a piece, which will decrease over roughly five turns until we end up turning a profit. We then go take a look at what we know about the Trilarians.

moo2racereportscreenpor.png

Nothing especially stands out, except that they already have the Dimensional Portal, which is a very late tech. There's no way they've researched it, so they were probably given it by a leader. This is kind of annoying, as there are only two leaders (if I remember correctly; possibly only one) which can grant it, and both of them are badass fleet officers.

After finishing our diplomatic mission, we get a message from our scientists that they've discovered how to build much more efficient fuel cells, as well as Tritanium Armor for our ships and planetside colony defenses.

moo2deuteriumfuelcells.png

Having run into another species with a couple more systems in their pocket than we have (I suspect one of them was a Splinter Colony special, but I could be wrong) we start getting antsy about colonizing that other awesome Terran world we ran into and tell the shipyards on Secundus to offer unlimited overtime, at double pay, if they can get this thing out of orbit before the end of the year. It costs us twice as much as it normally would, but we finally get that great conestoga wagon of the sky moving.

moo2buycolonyship.png

Oh, hey, look, it's GNN again with more breaking news. What's up, GNN?

moo2sslairradiatedbroad.png

Well, sucks to be the Sakkra, I guess. Sucks more to be us as they're really irritating to play against, although it's a mixed blessing - after we capture one of their worlds, we can ship their populace off to our colonies, at which point we'll have a defacto Subterranean population bonus without having to pay for it.

In other news...

moo2censusbroadcast.png

Arcadians not being on that list is decidedly not a good thing. Determined to expand more quickly, we settle on the Third Jewel of the Night, Tycho.

moo2colonizingtycho.png

...well, the system's named Tycho now. Seriously, who names anything Kalb?

And that's it for this segment, which was about eighty turns long.

Next update will cover about half as many turns, but should be somewhat more eventful...
    moo2meetingsilicoids.png

DUN-DUN-DUN-DRAMATIC REVERB

Also - how did you guys like the format? Too many screenshots? Not enough? Too much content for a single post? This is my first time making one of these, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Salvation122 on
    edited October 2009
    No, seriously, fuck AT&T DSL.

Salvation122 on
    edited October 2009
    The format is great, there's a good number of screenshots, and the volume of content is fine. You're doing splendidly so far. :)

That being said, the only good news about the Silicoids is that everyone hates them. If you have to fight them, you probably won't be alone.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Computer cheats at diplomacy with other cpu races. Usually silicoid and darlocks do happen to be at war with a bunch of other races...but not always.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2009
    Maybe a little long, but you had to do the info dump stuff so it makes sense that it would be.

enlightenedbum on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't see any of the suggested names for systems. What is this, some kind of universe that has nothing to do with wangs?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tolerant + pop growth using a Rich universe is fun. Don't have to invest any time/research/building into polution control and can colonize the all the toxic/radiated ultra rich planets. It can be a bit rough in the beginning till you have your farm planets and transports setup. But once you do its smooth sailing.

I also liked the Assault Shuttle and Ground Combat++ guys. Send boarding parties and capture everyones ships. If you do it right you can capture antaran ships midway through the game and reverse engineer all their sweet tech. Get telepathic if you want to control enemy ships instantly after boarding.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The sweetest thing about telepathic, other than mind control, is using captured star bases against the planet they orbit.

It does makes capturing Antarans easier, since you don't need to win the battle to capture the ship.

jaredburton on
    edited October 2009
    I didn't see any of the suggested names for systems. What is this, some kind of universe that has nothing to do with wangs?

I did the first (and second, though there's no further colonization) update before people submitted names. From here on out all planet names will be pulled from this thread, and the second I snag a good planet it'll be dubbed Wang.

Salvation122 on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    :^: Excellent LP.

Also, ultra-rich and rich worlds AND a megawealth leader? Sweet baby Jebus, that's fantastic luck. Offset slightly by being next door to Orion, but what are ya gonna do (fast-tech to death stars).

zilo on
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Space Ants with a productivity hit in their stats. Something about that amuses me, even if it is easy to negate.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    edited October 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    :^: Excellent LP.

Also, ultra-rich and rich worlds AND a megawealth leader? Sweet baby Jebus, that's fantastic luck. Offset slightly by being next door to Orion, but what are ya gonna do (fast-tech to death stars).

Hell, enough Graviton Beams and Interceptors will easily do the trick. (Gyro Destabilizers used to be the weapon of choice, but they were unfortunately nerfed in 1.3.) We should get Orion well within 300 turns, if I can expand enough to get my CP up and keep the fleet affordable.

Salvation122 on