As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deelock's Sketchbook

DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
Didn't want to bombard the doodle thread so decided to make my own.

Here's some sketchbook pages:

41341631.jpg354316461.jpg4244216136.jpg13411736.jpg16378827.jpg54164361.jpg175824789.jpg42614616.jpg426314616.jpg34174799.jpg1315515.jpg6939042.jpg22472571782.jpg

Speedpaintings:

forest1.jpg
sombrerospeed.jpg
whitemonk.jpg
necromancer.jpg

WIPS (I'd like some feedback on these):

spikearmorf2.jpg
bouroghstudy1.jpg

DeeLock on

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dude. Fucking ACE hand studies.

In your figure studies though, most of them have pretty tiny heads, and all look like they're eight feet tall.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good job on those hands...really a nice handjob.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Finish your speed paints. I demand more awesomeness.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is that a Frodo I see?

edit: pshhhh Google Chrome why you saying "Frodo" is a typo?

and amazing hand studies. they're my favorite thing to study

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In all of those figure studies, most if not all of the necks are too short and the heads are too small. And the one speedpaint of the guy with the wide-brimmed hat/sombrero, his neck is like, crazy long and bendy. Otherwise, pretty nice studies.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks guys!

Ok so, heads are too small and needs more awesome, gotcha.

Here's an update on armor chick, I'd love some feedback on the design. I'm no arms and armor guy, I just thought it looked cool, but if you see problems with the believability of it then I'd love some critiques.

spikearmorchick3.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, I have to say, the design of the armor is the least of my concerns. Overall, that part isn't too bad. What worries me more is the fact that your model underneath is incredibly off, and the way you're rendering the armor itself. As in, it's shape and how you define form.

Because it's hard to put into words, here's a paintover to help.

spikearmorchick3.jpg

The black outline to the left is roughly the figure inside the armor. As you can see, the shoulders are way too wide. The figure in red is my drawover, moved to the side so you can see and also so I could do a paintover. I kept the height and relative proportion, though you could probably just bring the shoulders in and make the overall image/figure a little smaller and fix everything that way, too.

In terms of the paintover, that's just kind of how I would start to roughly go about defining the armor. The way you've done it, with a light source in front of the figure, automatically flattens everything out. Gives it this feeling of a cardboard cutout. It also hurts you with the fact that I can see the silhouette you painted with the darkest gray right off the bat, and then you've built up highlights. Or that's what it looks like. So the eye can just see that shape with ease.

What I did with my paintover (on the right arm, her left, and on the torso) was very the values more by adding lighter highlights (your lightest tone was a midtone), which could even go lighter since it's some type of metal, I'm assuming. And I added darker shadows. I changed the lightsource so that it's coming from the right so you can really define the curvature of the armor (forgive my definition, since I wasn't sure the exact form, and I suck at armor). I also used other colors besides pure gray. Which, you really shouldn't do unless you're doing a grayscale piece.** There are colors in everything, even grays. They're just very desaturated. I also used some backlighting.

While this is a nice attempt, and I think you should maybe finish it, I would also suggest reading this tutorial and maybe trying to draw and paint some other, more basic shapes before going for some other kind of fully fleshed out armor concept art.

**Edit: Now that I look again, you were apparently just doing a grayscale piece, so, my bad. However, then you're just going to need the much more of a range in value, and the principals of defining form don't really change with the scale of values, backlighting, and how you would go about rendering things. You just wouldn't have to worry about the color. Just how bright or dark everything was. >_>

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really like your work. When can we see more?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Radar: Thanks for the critique, i totally agree about her shoulders being out of wack.

I really didn't think there was anything wrong with the values...they might need more clarification or something but the intent was that the armor is more like pewter than steel, so it wouldn't really be extremely shiny.

Strongbad: Haha, I'll hopefully keep this thing rolling every day or so. Thanks!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Values look okay in my book. As local values, though. Go in on an overlay layer with a white, soft round brush, and just draw in a light source.

Also, her tits are off center.

-Oh yeah, and design wise, how is she supposed to walk with pointy things on her boots going into the ground?

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    The thought I have on the hand and figure pencil studies is that it seems you're spending a lot of effort on the contours, but not a lot on the construction, which is leading to some oversimplification. This is most notable on the sides of the torso, where little definition is given to distinguish the forms of the ribcage, the obliques, and the pelvic ridge- prime opportunities to create form and a sense of foreshortening in the torso.

While the lack of construction here can look good in these sort of quick studies- it does look clean and it's a decent start to sketching out poses- getting in the habit of regularly playing down the construction too much is going to wind up hurting you when you try to take a piece further.

For example, these
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/deelock27/necromancer.jpg
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/deelock27/fig4.jpg
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g22/deelock27/elfdude.jpg

all share the common problem of starting with an oversimplified torso contour, and then trying to shoehorn the details to fit that contour, resulting in an overly box-like ribcage, and a static-looking torso. By just defining the ribcage as an ellipse and drawing through from the top of the pelvis ridge across the waist to the other, you'll get a more solidly constructed drawing than trying to copy every undulation in the contour.

Examples:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CXjxCzN0BqQ/SpK7EtHMixI/AAAAAAAAA3c/FrAFhSqIWNA/s1600-h/8fig1.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CXjxCzN0BqQ/ShQ5D1T4nSI/AAAAAAAAAi0/lx2l6VYak0k/s1600-h/Fig2-09+%2811%29.jpg

Notice how the ribcage is defined- simple oval, it's defined as a volume and not just by contour. The breasts are tied together with construction lines to emphasize how they lie on the volume of the torso, and to ensure symmetry. Construction lines run from the base of the neck to the pelvic ridges, and from the crotch to the shoulders, creating the pinch that occurs as the ribcage narrows at the bottom, and then the obliques and pelvis makes the form bow back out again*. The result is a drawing that, even though there is little detail, is much more solid in feel, and offers a more robust platform from which to add more detail than if the torso was just defined by a single line running down each side of the torso.

The same thing occurs in the hand drawings- lack of internal construction makes it difficult to define how some of the fingers are bending in space. The head drawings offer similar problems- some very nice features, but they aren't being tied together with construction, making each part feel separated from the whole. The whole of the form, the side plane versus the front plane, the whole of brow ridge, the zygomatic arch of the cheekbone- these things are just as crucial to the read of the head as the features.

I know you've probably seen this before, but I'm going to link it again.
    http://www.meadowpaint.com/head4.pdf

Now, I do assume that you're starting with some construction on these, it's just more a matter of being more explicit and deliberate with the usage of it, and getting all you can out of it before erasing it. Think of it more as a process of gaining an understanding of the form, and not as a just as a tool that's used simply for the result of getting a contour.

*The pinching in the torso is also something that is lacking from your female night drawing. While yeah, she's wearing armor and that's generally not something that shows off the female form very well, I thought she was a man until it was said otherwise because of the sharp facial features, pec-like breastplate design, and side contours going straight down from the shoulders to the hips, which is generally more common on men than women. Girls have wider hips, thus the hourglass shape is exaggerated. Without that or any other explicitly feminine traits, the result is very androgynous. But maybe that's the idea, I dunno.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Radar: Thanks for the critique, i totally agree about her shoulders being out of wack.

I really didn't think there was anything wrong with the values...they might need more clarification or something but the intent was that the armor is more like pewter than steel, so it wouldn't really be extremely shiny.

Strongbad: Haha, I'll hopefully keep this thing rolling every day or so. Thanks!

What Bacon said.

And, as for the values, like I said, the lightest light is really just a midtone. So, yeah, I can see the pewter idea, but I didn't even near white when I did that paintover. I would just take it a little lighter. It'll also make the darks look darker. As of now it's just kind of bland because everything's so close in value. *shrug* However, that's just my opinion. You're free to do as you please.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    FreshbrewFreshbrew Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not being a very good artist, I thought your hands were some of the best I've seen. Your faces however need a little work, not trying to be a jerk, just my opinion. Some real talent keep it up!

Freshbrew on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wow you guys have given me a lot to think about and to work on.

I really appreciate the feedback Bacon, I think you've hit a major problem I've been having with my work lately right on the head. Thanks a lot for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

<3

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So a couple of days ago I posted in the doodle thread some faces from my imagination:

bunchafaces1.jpg

Got some critiques and I did some photo studies to make up for it:

bunchafaces2.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Much better! I have to say, the values look really good. I especially like the small cast shadow on the blond guy.

Watch your structure though. Some of the eyeballs look a bit crooked, or don't line up on an axis with the other. And on the left most guy his lips are a bit crooked. And also the bottom most guy, the area between his lips and chin look all puffy and weird. I just don't think it's reading quite right.

Keep up the good work dude!! You've shown some good progress in the last few months.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Much better! I have to say, the values look really good. I especially like the small cast shadow on the blond guy.

Watch your structure though. Some of the eyeballs look a bit crooked, or don't line up on an axis with the other. And on the left most guy his lips are a bit crooked. And also the bottom most guy, the area between his lips and chin look all puffy and weird. I just don't think it's reading quite right.

Keep up the good work dude!! You've shown some good progress in the last few months.

Just wondering, what if your trying to draw really ugly people what do you do then??

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    Otto GermainOtto Germain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Extremely nice grayscale work here, especially in the facial details.

Otto Germain on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys.

Thanks for the crits sub and for the words of encouragement otto.

I've been sort of out of the loop art-wise lately but i did get off my ass (metaphorically) to do a Sargent study.

sargent-study-1.jpg

From this reference:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1017/1256599987_c9e51006cd_b.jpg

edit: I just noticed a couple of problems like the neck being static...I'll try and fix it.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hey thats not bad.. but the shadow on the side of the nose in your study is too cold compared to the study. warm it up just a tad id say..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Ken and I agree about the shadow.

More sketches:

sketch1-1.jpg
    sketch2.jpg
    sketch3.jpg
    sketch4.jpg
    sketch5.jpg
    sketch6.jpg
    sketch7.jpg
    sketch8.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MmmmMM, toned paper.

Watch the proportions of the arms. Looks like you're making the upper arm a bit long, and the hands a bit small in most cases.

Zoo studies look baller. And the fourth sword down is my fav, because it's a little weird and different.

Keep working dude!!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The faces you sketched are all looking a little Rumer Willis-y
    Bruce Willis + Demi Moore =
    rumerwillisfromwithin.jpg

Skelly B on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the crits Sub!

I agree about the upper arms, I need to work on proportion.

Finally found an Earthbound sketchbook and had the money to buy it. That made me happy :)

Your spoiler is broken Skelly. I don't know who that is and now that I looked at a few pictures of her I'm not sure if it's a good thing my sketches look like her :P

DeeLock on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh God, I'm really tired, and I'm totally not in the mindset to critique anything at the moment, but fuck I love the bubble dude. I love him so hard.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I was just going to say.. get down on some anatomy.

Then thought it might be better to try and demonstrate what some anatomy knowledge can do

Then i started to realize I needed to brush up myself and got a little carried away..

i15puk00.gif

I started to drawover the bottom hand then PS crashed.

Really though my main thought process was Simple Volumes.. squares, shperes, cylinder> rythms and opposing curves> wedging> which I then reigned in with a little anatomy knowledge. Im not really going to elaborate because their are texts that do a much better job.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Alyce! I'd love some critiques when you get the chance :)

Oh wow that looks great Ken. You don't need to elaborate, I know where you're going. I'll definitely do some anatomy studies (something I haven't done in a while.) Thanks for taking the time to do the draw over, it really elevates the drawing.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Your spoiler is broken Skelly. I don't know who that is and now that I looked at a few pictures of her I'm not sure if it's a good thing my sketches look like her

Oh, noes!

but anyway, you seem to have a thing for really big jaws. They're all nicely drawn and within the realm of possibility, but it looks weird when most of your drawing share a very similar facial shape.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I meant to say it in my original post, as just a tip. When I study an anatomical diagram I try to avoid exact replication. Im pretty good at mindless copying, which only helps me recreate that exact drawing again. Instead Ill read about the actions of the muscles, insertions, etc and try to bend the arm or draw it from a slightly different angle, to force myself to really visualize the anatomy as elements of a 3d form. Its pretty frustrating but I retain most of it. My apologies if this is old news to you.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So here's a few anatomy studies and such.

sketch10.jpg
    sketch11.jpg
    sketch12.jpg

I'm also doing concept art for the poem Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. It's for practice but aimed at being used in a game.

It'll never be as good as this telling but one can dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9o6DH_uzE

sketch13.jpg
    sketch14.jpg
    sketch15.jpg
    sketch8.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    damn kendeath that guys abs are weird.

also im liking your leg studies :D

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You have pretty universally small heads and short arms. Also, you draw all of your eyes exactly the same. I've always felt that a lot of the personality or individuality in a face lies in the eyes, so it might help to know a few ways to differentiate the eyes you draw.

Good sketches in general though, seeing improvement.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the crits.

Here's the design for the Jabberwock.

My idea is that he's a dragon that somehow lost his wings in a fight and he's stuck on the island where the story takes place.

Started with thumbs but they all looked crap except for the one i have here, so i took that and worked on a sketch.

sketch17web.jpg

sketch16web.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looking nice! Like the pencil tone quality.
    Do you think it may look better with a thinner neck? I find that creatures look more threatening when they have thinner longer necks and higher backsides. Just my thought :)

BTW study buddy should be finished by tonight :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What the fuck?

Get out of my thread.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    UrantiaUrantia regular
    edited November 2009
    I was about to crit your dragon based on proper dinosaur proportion, and then thought better of it.

Because it's a dragon.

So you get to do what you want.

=[

Urantia on
    Ignore the above.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    New sketches from Thanksgiving weekend.

I was up in Oregon and just now got access to a scanner. I'm also on a laptop so it's a bit dimmer than I'm used to so I hope they all came out ok.

sketch17.jpg
    sketch18.jpg
    sketch19.jpg
    sketch20.jpg
    sketch22.jpg

Designs for the Tumtum tree from Jabberwocky:

sketch21.jpg

And of course I had to bring my sketchbook to the Portland Zoo (I was in a group so none of these are more than 5 minutes):

sketch23.jpg
    sketch24.jpg
    sketch25.jpg
    sketch26.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quality stuff Dee, big improvements from when I last looked at your stuff.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nice stuff, Dylan!

I'm personally enjoying the clown guy.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey man, really awesome latest posts. I think your pencil studies have nice charm to it, which is lost in that digital work. from page page 1. Have you thought to combine the mediums, so you use your pencil linework and tone, but just lightly colour/shade in photoshop? I DARE you to do it. In fact, make it a double dare.
    SUPER STUFF!!!

winter_combat_knight on