As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's weird how just the way of shading with black dictates the style. For instance, there are so many people shading like Mike Giant now. Kind of like Charles Burns back in the 80's.

Guy Bell on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the colors...so purty...

Oh and charis: fat kids. >:(

worstcase on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks! I haven't done any heavy inks in awhile, it was fun to get back to them.

Fugitive on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    J-P wrote: »
    1hr face studies. Ref Used.

*snip*

Color picking is ok once or twice to give you a sense of the kind of colors might be used, but photography usually has some off colors, so it's not really the best, and it's better to actually know if you ever want to paint something not from reference. Also, the biggest problem I'm seeing here are the noses. They're very upturned. There are some other problems with facial structure, but at least you're practicing.

That said, this stuff is much better than your usual. If you could do this without color picking and with regularity I'd be impressed.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fug, are we doing a comic or what?

CheerfulBear on
    edited October 2009
    Bear I am already working on a comic and have been for months

I already have almost two pages of it drawn so it is a commitment I cannot walk away from

Fugitive on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I already have the script, just do the pictures! It's easy!

$$$$

CheerfulBear on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lulz maybe I should finally get around to drawing up that sample page for you bear.

Scosglen on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Mykonos wrote: »
    Did this live for a pr company at a DC nightclub..
    wait, as in a nightclub in Washington D.C., or a nightclub for DC comics? either way: what the hell nightclubs am I missing out on that have artists do live drawings?]
    man, I really need this question to be answered.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OK, Musafari, the Desert Demon, take 2.

Feedback greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I fixed all the problems.

musfari2.jpg

F87 on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    dont wanna bag on your stuff but his right leg propped like that and his flashy extended arm and hand with the awsome eyepatch reminded me of jack from will and grace. dancing. i love your art :D.

deadlydorito on
  • DavionDavion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Workin' on this dude:
    VoidlerCT.jpg

Davion on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Davion I instantly love you

Tam on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    no i do
    i loved him first shut up you skank

RubberAC on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would also like to express my love for your particular brand of art.

Mustang on
    edited October 2009
    no shut up you

RubberAC on
    edited October 2009
    I would like to hug all of you awkwardly.

Davion on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hug me first.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited October 2009
    aw baby it don't gotta be awkward
    just scoooch all up in here
    we'll get some group lovin' in

RubberAC on
    edited October 2009
    That's awesome. It makes me think of Pixar concept art.

I can foresee the arms causing problems, though. Is that form hanging off the back on the right supposed to be his right arm? Because on first read it looks like it's sort of awkwardly dangling out of his left pauldron.

Fugitive on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

I can foresee the arms causing problems, though. Is that form hanging off the back on the right supposed to be his right arm? Because on first read it looks like it's sort of awkwardly dangling out of his left pauldron.

yeah mani thought disney as well, particularly emeprors new groove.

deadlydorito on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Long time no post. Hi all, I painted a bunch of stuff for a art yard sale (a bunch of artist bring a bunch of paintings and no one prices anything over $10) sold all but three and got a show lined up on Jan 15th.
    paintings.jpg

paintings2.jpg

What do you guys think, what could I improve for a real show?

brokecracker on
    edited October 2009

I've been reading The Illusion of Life before I go to bed every night, so some of that Disney nostalgia probably oozed off onto me.

I might have to move the arms around to make it more readable. I actually have a couple of different right arm positions as hidden layers because I wasn't sure if that was going to cut it. So I'll have to experiment.

Davion on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    F87 wrote: »

Its certainly not looking like Dan anymore.

The problem with him looking like hes falling over is still there. The pose of the legs, as well as the feet not really being planted is whats causing this.

Also, you are still drawing your lower bodies larger than your upper bodies :P

Wassermelone on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Davion wrote: »

I've been reading The Illusion of Life before I go to bed every night, so some of that Disney nostalgia probably oozed off onto me.

I might have to move the arms around to make it more readable. I actually have a couple of different right arm positions as hidden layers because I wasn't sure if that was going to cut it. So I'll have to experiment.

Nice, I've been meaning to check out that book. I gotta agree with fug on instantly thinking of pixar art though - it's definitely the first thing that popped into my head.

Prospicience on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Its certainly not looking like Dan anymore.

The problem with him looking like hes falling over is still there. The pose of the legs, as well as the feet not really being planted is whats causing this.

Also, you are still drawing your lower bodies larger than your upper bodies :P

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. I will work on his stance some more and shrink his lower half a little.

deadlydorito - That... I'm not sure how to feel about that Will and Grace thing.. I see what you mean. :(

Thanks!

F87 on
  • ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok so, I discovered at length today that I am not a painter, but im aiming to change that!
    So while this is still way incomplete, could one of you wizened sages tell me where I have screwed up so far?
    (Also, anyone who can tell me what magic card this is from without looking it up, wins!)
    Wretched_WIP_by_Shankbone.jpg

Shankbone on
    We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did this live for a pr company at a DC nightclub..
    wait, as in a nightclub in Washington D.C., or a nightclub for DC comics? either way: what the hell nightclubs am I missing out on that have artists do live drawings?]
    man, I really need this question to be answered.

Theres actually lots of city lounges or clubs that love having artist perform live art. I remember reading about this one artist in San Fransisco who had a whole bunch of naked women covered in paint and rolled around on a giant canvas. It's easiest if your backed a company or private party or if you know someone in the clubs management. Otherwise, your best bet is to collaborate with DJ's and sell them on the idea of working your art into the music, and haven't met a single one who didn't think that was the coolest thing. After that its finding a projector and setting up on a wall or ceiling. Thing is you gotta be careful cuz one place I went to turned into a rowdy frat party and I had to get out before some drunk idiot falls over my stuff.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Naked women covered in paint also provides another type of entertainment than live art, though.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited October 2009
    Theres actually lots of city lounges or clubs that love having artist perform live art. I remember reading about this one artist in San Fransisco who had a whole bunch of naked women covered in paint and rolled around on a giant canvas. It's easiest if your backed a company or private party or if you know someone in the clubs management. Otherwise, your best bet is to collaborate with DJ's and sell them on the idea of working your art into the music, and haven't met a single one who didn't think that was the coolest thing. After that its finding a projector and setting up on a wall or ceiling. Thing is you gotta be careful cuz one place I went to turned into a rowdy frat party and I had to get out before some drunk idiot falls over my stuff.
    I was actually wondering because I want to go to them. No chance I'd make art in front of people, fuck that.

BOTP
    Shankbone wrote: »
    Ok so, I discovered at length today that I am not a painter, but im aiming to change that!
    So while this is still way incomplete, could one of you wizened sages tell me where I have screwed up so far?
    (Also, anyone who can tell me what magic card this is from without looking it up, wins!)
    Wretched_WIP_by_Shankbone.jpg

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

musfari2.jpg

Is he left handed, or is there another reason why his sword is in the wrong hand? The scabbard opens to the right. Unless he drew it out and then stylishly tossed it to himself?

Also this is much better I'd say, but I still don't see the action. Am I alone in this? Is there not supposed to be any action in a design piece? It seems like the most effective way to design and concept a character would be to make your concept a snapshot of their daily life.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Is he left handed, or is there another reason why his sword is in the wrong hand? The scabbard opens to the right. Unless he drew it out and then stylishly tossed it to himself?

What? The scabbard is supposed to be on the opposite side of the body from the hand it is drawn with, blade facing up. Try performing the action yourself with the drawing hand and the sword on the same side, it's awkward as hell. If there's anything to be complained about with the scabbard, it is that it is too much in the back and horizontal, and not on the side and diagonal, which would make it harder to draw smoothly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUgjGU2mYbs&feature=related

Also yeah I guess this would make him left handed, but so what?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I would say the scabbard would make sense if he is left handed, provided it was more strapped across his back. Granted, I don't know that any scabbards are actually positioned in that manner but it doesn't seem unfeasible.
    (Also: BOTP= battle of the planets?)

Shankbone on
    We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm guessing that's an aesthetic choice by Frank. No way I would strap a scabbard across the back of my legs- it'd be way too annoying slapping against my legs as I ran or walked.

The sword's blade is way off alignment with the handle, by the way.

Tam on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, yeah, when the blade is too long to draw on one side, it would be very awkward. But in the case of that particular sword, the blade is short enough that it could comfortably be drawn on the same side.

I guess that boils down to preference.

Also we're making some assumptions about this fellow's fighting style.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited October 2009
    Shankbone wrote: »
    (Also: BOTP= bottom of the page)

srsizzy on
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    J-P wrote: »
    1hr face studies. Ref Used.

*snip*

Color picking is ok once or twice to give you a sense of the kind of colors might be used, but photography usually has some off colors, so it's not really the best, and it's better to actually know if you ever want to paint something not from reference. Also, the biggest problem I'm seeing here are the noses. They're very upturned. There are some other problems with facial structure, but at least you're practicing.

That said, this stuff is much better than your usual. If you could do this without color picking and with regularity I'd be impressed.

Painted these before reading your response.

Hour each.
    ran_copy.jpg
    boa_copy.jpg

After I did the second one I realized how much my facial structure is lacking V_V, your so right. Her face is really not that long. And cha, Noses. >_>. The first one i hate the thumb/nose/lips...but i was like "FUCK IT!" lol..I get angry a lot while I'm drawing/painting. I'm very disorganization using the tablet. Especially using dual screen, it cuts your tablet in half, and my tablet is already super small. Lol.

Anyhoo, back to practice.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quit outlining lips in black, it's very jarring.

Also I'd recommend a few studies of an asaro head. It'll help you shore up some of those structures.
    planes.jpg
    asaro.jpg

Mustang on
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh thank you sir! I needz that so much.

Edit: out of context, that sounds dirty.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Color picker is also bad because it makes you think that skin is the same color throughout the face, which is barely ever is in the sense that the lightest color on my cheek will not be the lightest color on my nose. It makes the skin look plastic. Skin also has greens, blues, and reds in it which are hard to find with the color picker.

Charis on
This discussion has been closed.