As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soundless Silicon Bootsoles bring us the MOTW 10-7-09

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Graphic Violence
Batman & Robin #5 had a very good story moving three different parts ahead, despite the average art

It is Jason Todd under the hood, and he now has his original red hair (?) instead of black, because he says Bruce made him dye his hair to look like Dick. I think that's Morrison trying to fit something in that makes no sense, like Cyclops sees yellow instead of red thru his visor.

And the Flamingo is actually a guy who used to fight the mob, but he was caught and they did a lobotomy on him and he's now all crazy, and does stuff like this:

BR5a.jpg

BR5b.jpg

BR5c.jpg

And then the Flamingo snipes Jason in the head and rides into the comic like so:

BR5d.jpg

The art really brings that reveal down.

TexiKen on

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    What, so Jason is
    Dead again? Was kinda liking this smarmy anti-hero bent he was on

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jason dyed his hair in Pre-Crisis continuity

It was changed to black Post Crisis

Why would you even want to fuck with something like that? What makes someone think - "You know what this story needs? A more convulted backstory!"

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Jason dyed his hair in Pre-Crisis continuity

It was changed to black Post Crisis

Why would you even want to fuck with something like that? What makes someone think - "You know what this story needs? A more convulted backstory!"

Explaining that someone was dying his hair hardly makes things more convoluted. It's just a character detail no more substantial than introducing his favorite food or the naming his first pet would have been.
    The Ra's Al Ghul streak in his hair is pretty funny too.

Also, it was kind of annoying that Jason Todd looked so much like Dick. It made it too easy to view him as "evil Robin" or something like that rather than a character with an independent personality.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess just having to mention Pre and Post Crisis gets me riled up. I feel like nothing good can come from mining such fractured continuity, but I guess that's been Morrison's schtick with Batman/DC so I shouldn't complain.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What's up with Morrison and fucking up peoples faces in this book? Also the whole red hair thing is retarded and pointless. The crappy art made Jason look like Rorschach. Please come back soon, Frank!

and when was Jason's hair red in the books? All the recent origin flashbacks have had him with black hair. I'm pretty sure Morrison wrote those too.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Distinguished by strawberry blond hair (as opposed to the black hair of Dick Grayson), Todd is unfailingly cheerful, wearing his circus costume to fight crime until Dick Grayson presents him with a Robin costume of his own. At that point, Jason dyes his hair black, and in later stories blossoms under Batman's tutelage.

It makes sense to have him go back to his original hair. Not only is it a character trait (it furthers Jason from the Bat-family even more), but now we don't have as many white, dark haired males running around.

Plus he had that gray streak in Hush. Morrison's not making things convoluted, he's making things consistent.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, Planetary #27 was great, despite me having read Planetary months ago and also not really liking Warren Ellis!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    What's up with Morrison and fucking up peoples faces in this book? Also the whole red hair thing is retarded and pointless. The crappy art made Jason look like Rorschach. Please come back soon, Frank!

and when was Jason's hair red in the books? All the recent origin flashbacks have had him with black hair. I'm pretty sure Morrison wrote those too.

It's not pointless; it's perhaps excessive, but it's supposed to establish pathos regarding Jason feeling that Bruce constantly wanted him to be something he wasn't (and couldn't be). It sets up a profoundly creepy conception of the Batman/Robin relationship (where Bruce thought of the children as a component of Batman/Robin, not Bruce/ward) that in a somewhat clever way parallels the newer conception of Batman/Robin (where "Batman" cannot die, and is instead replaced by a different man behind the cowl).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Haunt was pretty good if you're looking for a Kirkman/McFarlane/Spawn/Spider-Man/Firestorm kind of story.

Strange Tales is pretty great. The Thing story alone is worth it.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a pretty big stack of comics this week, since I was out of town last week and missed a bunch. I haven't gotten very far in my reading but I do have a few favorite moments so far.

Daredevil #501

Last month's "Daredevil: The List" did a great job of setting the stage for the direction that Andy Diggle's arc is gonna take, and issue 501 cemented my faith in this new creative team.

Gotta say, Roberto del Torre's art was amazing. It is very dark and gritty when it needs to be, but he also does a good job of bringing out the details and subtleties of the characters when he needs to. His art style is very much like Alex Maleev's, which is a wonderful thing since Alex's work on DD was so amazing.

As far as moments go, I was glad to see Dakota come back into the story. I was fearful that a new writer might not use the same supporting cast that Brubaker did such a good job of building up, but again, so far all signs point to Andy Diggle doing a fantastic job taking the reigns on this book.

Gotham City Sirens #4

I absolutely love the way Paul Dini writes Harley Quinn. I've said it before, but she's such a fun character in his hands. Also, for anyone who has played the Batman: Arkham Asylum game recently, the dialogue in this issue was very much reminiscent of the dialogue in the game, which I thought was top notch.

The one problem I had with the whole affair is that Paul Dini's Joker is nothing like Grant Morrison's Joker. I think the inconsistency hurts the Batman brand as a whole, although on a stand alone basis its fine. Every line the Joker delivered in today's issue sounded like Mark Hamil in my mind.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Also, Planetary #27 was great, despite me having read Planetary months ago and also not really liking Warren Ellis!

Is more Planetary stuff forthcoming or was 27 the end? I ask because I don't think it was a very good ending. Sort of had a cliched, "Only the beginning!" kind of feel to it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

The one problem I had with the whole affair is that Paul Dini's Joker is nothing like Grant Morrison's Joker. I think the inconsistency hurts the Batman brand as a whole, although on a stand alone basis its fine. Every line the Joker delivered in today's issue sounded like Mark Hamil in my mind.

Which is good, because Morrison's Joker sucks.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deadpool #16:

Cyclops sends Domino to visit Deadpool, who is sitting in SF bummed because he wasn't let into Utopia (what a stupid name), thinking because the two had a bad history together he'll lose it. And he does. Kind of:

DP16a.jpg

DP16b.jpg

DP16c.jpg

DP16d.jpg

The one condition is he gets his own X-uniform which he made that has "Deadpool" written on the back. And he's going to kill Mercury's dad.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I KEEP IT REAL!

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Is more Planetary stuff forthcoming or was 27 the end? I ask because I don't think it was a very good ending. Sort of had a cliched, "Only the beginning!" kind of feel to it.

Pretty sure that's it

I mean, it took 3 years for this issue

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Deapool #16:

Also, notice in that last Panel Domino's hand is missing from holding her cup of coffee. Smooth move editors, keep doing nothing.

That's a lamp shade.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I saw that, that's why I deleted that! Stupid perspective got in my way.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And you still misspelled Deadpool.

Maybe you should stop liking things.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    racism, sexism, spellcheckism, all kind of isms up in here.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited October 2009
    Show 'em...my moves?

Whippy on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deadpool was awesome as always.

I love how he had to explain "Operations Moves" to.........himself.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Planetary #27 was all great. I hope we get a couple of new big fancy hardcovers for all of it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Planetary #27 was all great. I hope we get a couple of new big fancy hardcovers for all of it.

let's have one giant hardcover for the entire thing!

Rans on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DD #501 was good (if a bit formulaic), although
    having the hand wear little devil horns on their ninja masks is a bit on the nose as to who's controlling the evil organization, yes?

And of course it's a vulcan nerve pinch or whatever Matt pulled on Izo to kill him

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »

let's have one giant hardcover for the entire thing!

That would be amazing.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it is the one series i would plop down $200 for in a giant hardcover with no regrets

Rans on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Superman: World of New Krypton is a better cosmic DC story than everything Jim Starlin has been doing with Captain Comet and whoever else they gave him.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I liked the Thanagarian speak, that was pretty neat.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    About Jason Todd's hair
    I think the implication is that he blames Bruce for making him dye it, when in the past it was Jason's own decision to do it.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cry for Justice #4
    while it is not great yet, the series gets better with every issue. nothing much happens in the plot, but all of the various scenes make the mini feel like it's occurring in the current dcu and not completely outside of it.

i did like how hal and ollie got into it and after the fight they were right back to being friends. i've always appreciated the hal/ollie friendship.

biggest gripe of the issue is the miscolored Firestorm at the end. Maybe the colorists / editors at DC are crazy racists. from final crisis to this there are strangely frequent screw ups on skin color.

Rans on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dark Reign the List: Secret Warriors

I like the two lists
    Norman's list:
    Neutralize Clint
    Eliminate Daredevil
    Kill Namor
    Kill Frank Castle
    Kill Nick Fury
    Neutralize Bruce Banner
    Control the World
    Kill Spider-Man

And Nick Fury's list:
    Save the World
    Punch Norman in the face
    Have a beer

And at the end - "Got to cross somethin' off my list."

Interpreter on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love that Spider-Man comes after the world.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I love that Spider-Man comes after the world.

I'm surprised it isn't interspersed through the list like 4 or 5 times

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clearly to him he's saving the best for last. That's the one he would savor most.

Surprised Stark isn't on the list at all in any way, shape, or form.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Eh, they're supposed to fight next Iron Man, so

Faynor on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man planetary 27 was excellent

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok Secret Warriors: The List issue really made my day.
    Nick Fury has a List of his own too
    - Save the world

-Punch Osborn in the face

-Grab a beer

Dreamon on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dark Reign the List: Secret Warriors

I like the two lists
    Norman's list:
    Neutralize Clint
    Eliminate Daredevil
    Kill Namor
    Kill Frank Castle
    Kill Nick Fury
    Neutralize Bruce Banner
    Control the World
    Kill Spider-Man

And Nick Fury's list:
    Save the World
    Punch Norman in the face
    Have a beer

And at the end - "Got to cross somethin' off my list."

What has
    Daredevil
    done to earn Normans' wrath?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    See Questions thread.

I ain't bein' no dick about it, Keith asked that!

Faynor on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah right, Faynor! It's too hard to quote yourself, eh?
    Faynor wrote: »
    I don't know how much you know, so it's kind of hard to word it. Without spoilering a recent event,
    He's breaking the law, in Norman's city, and Norman doesn't like that.

But with the recent event's context,
    A corrupt judge was found murdered, and it was doctored to look like the Hand had done it, and Matt is now in control of the Hand. So that makes it seem Matt is being even more brazen in Norman's face.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg